Author Topic: Worn Out Library Card  (Read 3611 times)

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
Worn Out Library Card
« on: July 16, 2019, 07:55:05 AM »
The thing is falling apart, and it honestly makes me proud. I think of JL Collins every time I use it.

Chickadee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Worn Out Library Card
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:41:52 PM »
Awesome win!

I posted this on my other post, but I have to share this because I just can’t believe I never looked into this ...
Using my library login to read unlimited books on my tablet.
The best part is I can request the books and it automatically downloads to my tablet when it’s available and send me a reminder that it is now ready for me.

Looks like a lot of public library’s are part of the E reader platform, my library is a part of one used broadly called “overdrive”... good way to find more books !

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 02:59:59 PM »
Very cool about e-reading library books. I have a tablet, but it has a bright screen, so I haven't made the shift.

Also, I'm kind of vane and like the look of carrying out a bunch of books. Some of them, I even read! :-)

I also enjoy having a pile of books on my nightstand and working my way through them. Not sure what it is about it. Probably just a habit.

Blue Skies

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »
My keychain library card wore out awhile ago.  They want $1 to replace it though, so now I use the wallet one instead. 

I love Overdrive.  E-reader library books are awesome.  I can read a book while eating lunch without having to try to hold the book open.  Win-win. 

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 05:41:30 PM »
Before our library switched to plastic cards, I wore out I don't know how many paper ones. As a kid, I'd ride my bike to the library and if I didn't have pockets, I'd tuck it in my shoe. God bless those librarians who took that card and checked out my books! My mother always said that if I was in an accident, they could at least ID me by my library card because I never went anywhere without it.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 03:17:56 AM »
I have the number memorized and type it into the kiosk because I am too lazy to get the card out of my wallet.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 10:50:17 AM »
I have the number memorized and type it into the kiosk because I am too lazy to get the card out of my wallet.

Me too. I don't think I even have a physical library card anymore.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »
Awesome win!

I posted this on my other post, but I have to share this because I just can’t believe I never looked into this ...
The best part is I can request the books and it automatically downloads to my tablet when it’s available and send me a reminder that it is now ready for me.

Looks like a lot of public library’s are part of the E reader platform, my library is a part of one used broadly called “overdrive”... good way to find more books !

Our library system has a few different e-reader options, and I think Overdrive is one of them, but I haven't tried that one yet.  We've been using hoopla and both my daughter and my husband have been loving it to read more e-books. 

Hoopla even has movies and tv shows that I otherwise would have to pay to rent or buy.  Just last night, DH and I watched "Vera" (British detective show) on hoopla for free...we had been considering subscribing to BritBox or Acorn TV just to get more British detective shows since we finished streaming all the Midsomer Murder episodes available on Netflix along with a bunch of others...now we're using Hoopla instead for free!  Love it!

I still take my kids to the library and get physical books for them and for me, though, because I don't love e-reading myself.  I still love the physical books.

Chickadee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 01:29:34 PM »
I love paper books more too but sometimes it is just "easier" to e read and it can be quicker for hot-reading-books like NYT best sellers

Plus.. Free e-books - so easy to work on my clutter and cook, clean, garden with ebooks :)

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 03:06:13 PM »
My library laser-scans a barcode. When my card stopped scanning, I started using this barcode generator app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blogspot.aeioulabs.barcode, which the laser scanner can read from my phone.

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 08:02:44 PM »
Awesome win!

I’m super jealous of the unlimited book downloads. Our library system limits us to a mere six a month. I’ve always got more month to go when I’m done with the six and have to resort to physical books.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 07:09:52 AM »
Awesome win!

I’m super jealous of the unlimited book downloads. Our library system limits us to a mere six a month. I’ve always got more month to go when I’m done with the six and have to resort to physical books.

Wow, you're a terrific reader. I might read 1-2 books a month.

If you like fiction, I recommend the novels by Steve Martin, the comedian. He has 3.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 06:51:26 AM »
I also use over drive for audio books.   I have a long commute,  and audiobooks make it much more enjoyable.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 09:41:30 AM »
I love Overdrive. You can also use and Libby, which is built by Overdrive but I prefer Libby because it is better/more user-friendly to me. It's crazy how many people DON'T know about this feature of libraries and still waste money on stuff like Audible, lol.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 01:02:59 PM »
I have a long list of holds on audio and e-books on three different libraries - I haven't been in person to any of them in the longest time (except to sign up for the cards), but just do all my browsing, checking out and downloading online.  Since I'm RE I might end up getting through their e-catalog at some point and having to switch back to actually going in person and getting hard copies of books, but I'm hoping with three different catalogs it will keep me going for a long time (the three cities' libraries of which I am a member only require CA residency, not residency in their specific jurisdiction).

Other features of libraries that people should consider using:
-Tool library!  Two of my three have tool libraries and I've saved tons checking out everything from levels and rasps to drills and electric saws.  They have much more complicated tools than I have so far needed (electric snakes of various sizes, concrete saws, anything for plumbing, gardening, electrical!)
-Other non-book things to borrow: one of my libraries also lends mobile hotspots.  This was super valuable when we moved in to our new place and couldn't get internet set up for 3 weeks.  I think another one has telescopes that can be borrowed.  Worth browsing your libraries webpage at length to find random things buried in deep pages where you'll end up finding out fun things they lend (or classes they put on!)
-Free/discounted tix to local attractions
-Suggest a book: I got some recommendations for slightly obscure books to read (one 16th century book authored by a female writer, e.g.) and my libraries didn't have it, so I used a suggest function one of them had, including specifically requesting the e-book version and explained why I thought it was valuable for their collection and my request was approved within hours! 
-Of course, events, classes and assistance they provide, often targeting lower income residents.  I'm super grateful for these even if I don't often make use of them.

Libraries are the best.  Here's an awesome This American Life episode (https://www.thisamericanlife.org/664/the-room-of-requirement) about some very interesting libraries, and includes one of the best quotes about libraries I've ever heard: It's one of the only places you can go where you don't have to buy or believe in anything to come in and we'll help you.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 09:53:33 PM »

Me too. I don't think I even have a physical library card anymore.

Ditto. I don’t have any credit card #’s memorized or many passwords but I’ve got my library card # down!

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 07:54:47 AM »
My card was worn out too - not from my use though. They are meant to go on a keychain and the constant friction wore off the bar code. Got a new one and put a piece of clear tape over the top to extend the life. I do most of my checkouts electronically so the physical card only gets used when the kids want to check out books during the summer (they check out from the school library during the year).

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 07:53:04 AM »
There is an app for public libraries called Libby. All you need is library card number and it is super easy to use. You can load paper and audio books.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 08:58:40 AM »
@Sloeginfizz

Are you sure about that? Our limit is six as well, but it means - six books total online at any one time. Once I click on return, to return book # six, I can download another book six.

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2019, 07:47:56 PM »
I love the Library. Happy for your worn out library card

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 01:25:59 PM »
Mine is also very worn out and barely scans now. They wanted to charge me $5 for a replacement though so I am limping along.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 01:44:30 PM »
Mine is also very worn out and barely scans now. They wanted to charge me $5 for a replacement though so I am limping along.

Ours has to be renewed - also five bucks - every 3 or 5 years. I was initially a bit ticked off by that, but then this is a really small price to pay in the long run.
In fact, I donate both money and books to my local library every so often even though I hardly ever visit them in real-time anymore. I do wish they had a better selection so I'm secretly hoping they will buy a good finance book or two.

They are overly focused on teens, kids and brain candy books.
They lack expensive - up to date garden books, even their crafts books are as old as Methuselah and why do they never have the most popular NYT books? Yeah, I know - request online and wait 8 weeks min.

We do have other libraries in the area and the main library is not too far but either my reading habits are really weird or they are just not up to par. The next big city is too far to drive and I rarely have my list of books handy to order when I go to "our" library and dummy that I am I haven't figured out how to get books from them online - they don't seem to be included in my library access list.

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »
If you like fiction, I recommend the novels by Steve Martin, the comedian. He has 3.

+1 His books are great. His play 'Picasso at the Lapin Agile' is really smart and funny too - very readable.