Author Topic: Wife's Badassity: Cyclng and Debt Destruction  (Read 2146 times)

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
Wife's Badassity: Cyclng and Debt Destruction
« on: June 28, 2019, 01:18:36 PM »
June, 2018: My wife decided to start working again after seeing this MMM talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEBe7ZEfORc specifically so I can retire. She's even told me that if I wanted to quit in 2 years and just be a professional adjunct professor, she'd be okay with it, so long as I'm happy. I concluded that I could not guarantee happiness since my base level is somewhere below contentedness, but loved her idea.

Her income flows into a separate account and mostly knocks down debt.

This week: She started a new job with a $20k pay increase, but she has to take the train to NYC, then a subway to Wall Street. I told her I'd get up to drive her, but she was determined she'd take a bicycle 2 miles each way at 4:30AM and 7:00PM for her 4/10 shifts.

Something you need to know about my wife. She has a back and hip injury since leaving the Army in 2012, and did not think she could ride a bicycle. She is overweight, but has been able to maintain it through diet.

Each of the 3 days before today, she took the bike and it kicked her ass. Today, she woke me to take her, but not because she woke up late, or didn't want to ride. She left her debit card at the house and had to hustle back on the bike to get it, and needed me to get her to her train on time, WHICH SHE MADE!!!!!!

She's a total badass, and I'm thrilled to post this somewhere where people will also think it's great.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Re: Wife's Badassity: Cyclng and Debt Destruction
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 12:09:23 PM »
That's some awesome stuff. And the riding will definitely kick her ass less as the weeks go on.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 05:31:12 AM »
That's some awesome stuff. And the riding will definitely kick her ass less as the weeks go on.

Yeah, I'm really proud of her. I's also great because our family van has 161k miles right now, and we're really hoping to stretch it out until we have less people in the house so that we change to a car. Of course, if she's a city worker, then maybe we'll just be a 1-car family.

Working out the budget, she asked "how much do we need for gas these 2 weeks. I said "maybe $0.00. Both vehicles have enough gas combined that I can just switch when the car gets low.

Also, her train fare is reimbursed by her job.

lcmac32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 12:14:13 PM »
This is totally awesome and inspiring.  Many kudos to her.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
Great stuff! Congratulations to your wife for being a badass, and to you for singing her praises.

Also, thanks for the link to the MMM talk.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 02:01:16 PM »
She is a badass lady indeed. Great job.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 02:01:47 PM »
Damn!  Good for her -- strong lady.  You two sound like a great partnership.