Author Topic: Why oats are amazing  (Read 17893 times)

Gizbar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Why oats are amazing
« on: July 22, 2013, 06:26:25 PM »
Thought I should repost this, as I am devout.  Oats do not need to be boiled.  This rocked my world 3 years ago.  Cold water will make oats soft in 15 minutes or less.  Behold my eteeernal breakfast:

Oats, oats, oats!  At least for breakfast.  Breakthrough: the suckers don't need hot water at all, let alone boiling!

First thing when one wakes up (maybe after some quick relief in the bathroom):

- 1/2 cup oats in serving bowl

- almond milk (or water + 1 tsp honey or more) (or milk, or whatever cold or hot liquid you like), just until it's flush with the oats in your bowl

- 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter (the liquidy all peanuts kind)

Now, if you used cold liquid, you need 15 minutes, so go take your shower or whatever it is you do in the morning.

- 1-3 tsp cocoa (unsweetened; the baking stuff)

- walnuts or almonds, as desired (I use 3-5 walnut halves, usually, wife doesn't add any nuts)

- about 2 tbsp of microwaved frozen blueberries

What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is healthy chocolate cake.  For BREAKFAST.  It doesn't cost much either if you get big bags of frozen blueberries.  Moreover it can be modified to be way more frugal and even more nutritious. 

I eat this 9 mornings out of 10.  3 years now.  Not sick of it at all.  Maybe it's chocolate addiction?  I'm definitely addicted to PB.

Critiques appreciated, as always. 

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Why oats are amazing
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muesli

This is our everyday breakfast.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:38:26 PM by velocistar237 »

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:43:56 PM »
I put most of those ingredients together in a blender and call it a smoothie. Oats are real good in a smoothie.

No cocoa, sub OJ for almond milk, add a frozen banana and wham!

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »
I Love oats of all kinds, but my favorite right now are steel-cut oats. I put one cup in the crockpot at night with 3 1/2 water and a pinch of salt. Cook on low all night. Give it a stir in the morning. I top with brown sugar, berries, and walnuts with almond milk. Any leftovers are awesome later if you refrigerate properly.  It's great to wake up to breakfast, and you'll love the chewy texture of the oats!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:16:37 PM »
It doesn't need hot water, but it only takes a minute to microwave the water ... Do it with the blueberries if you so desire.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »
Oo I love these ideas!

I cube a green apple, and throw that in with oats and water. Microwave. Add cinnamon and a few walnuts.

Apple crips in a bowl! Mmmmm

Gizbar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 04:25:16 PM »
Fascinating diversity!  The smoothie suggestion was interesting / surprising.  With the banana you must get very good value/calorie, and it could be blended for a larger group to split.

Nothing beats muesli for speed.  I like creating my own though, and I like eating it on the way to work when I need to (so can't contain liquid milk sloshing around).

As for microwaving, I find I get annoyed with boil over, though likely my lack of timing.  Also, if you use the hottest tap water you can, the oats are ready almost instantly (though you have to use water instead of milk).

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 07:38:07 PM »
That's great. I did not know that.

I got a recipe from someone here that goes like this:

1-2 cups oats
milk (soy, rice, almond) to cover the oats
add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Leave this overnight in the fridge. If you are going AC-free, I can assure you this is a most refreshing cold breakfast.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 08:44:22 PM »
Thank you OP for the cocoa powder suggestion. I'm at a hotel attending a conference and used some hot chocolate mix over my oatmeal and bananas. Yummy! I plan to have it every morning I'm here this week. I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow's breakfast.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 01:07:28 AM »
Oats stretch out everything. Add a handful to smoothies, add a handful to the meat when you make burgers, or make raw chocolate chip cookies.
http://www.oatmealwithafork.com/2013/07/22/raw-chocolate-chip-cookies/

I know many people won't, but I happen to have all the ingredients in my pantry, as they often get combined in some form for smoothies...at midnight when you want nothing more then to nosh on something sweet, these are amazing!

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 08:42:11 AM »
Oats for breakfast with fresh fruit, nuts, and chia seeds are my number one daily habit -- http://joshuaspodek.com/my-habits. I'm eating them as I type!

The variety, texture, flavor, and nutrition of the fruit made the entire aisle of boxed cereals appear backward and a waste of time and money. They try to make all those boxed cereals unique, different and flavorful, but none of those cereals can match a freshly chopped apple, banana, peach, or whatever. It takes less than a minute to chop the fruit. And I don't add any sugar, let alone have it as the second or third ingredient.

Tastes better, costs less, healthier... how often do you find such wins?

Mrs3F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 11:37:17 AM »
I love oats, especially overnight in the crockpot on cold days.  There are a bunch of great variations here, including my favorite cherry almond.  (Also works with wheatberries, if you like to change-up your grains) 

http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Cherry_Almond_Oatmeal

Tim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »
Just wanted to add some love to smoothies with oats. It seems like adding oats keeps the smoothie colder for a longer period of time!

Make sure to add a respectable amount of sweetness or else the mixture can be quite bitter.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 12:21:19 PM »
The problem with oats for breakfast is that they're squishy instead of crunchy.

Skydog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 01:04:56 PM »
Oats stretch out everything. Add a handful to smoothies, add a handful to the meat when you make burgers

I always add a few oats when making a pot of buffalo chili. Wish I'd known this trick in college--my spaghetti sauce could have lasted even longer!

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 01:08:47 PM »
Almost two years ago I bought a 50 lb bag of steel-cut oats. I eat it for breakfast every other day and my bucket should last quite a bit longer;)

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 02:55:03 PM »
I love the Irish steel cut oats, but they are spendy.  Where's the best spot to get steel cut oats?

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 06:57:31 AM »
I love the Irish steel cut oats, but they are spendy.  Where's the best spot to get steel cut oats?

Not sure...I bought mine through the bulk buying collective at my local coop, I think I paid 80 cents per pound.

kikichewie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 08:41:52 AM »
Purple goop recipe:

One part uncooked regular rolled oats
One part small curd cottage cheese
One part frozen blueberries or other fruit

Mix well and nuke for 60-90 seconds

Soooooo good, and so much protein and fiber!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »
ok stupid question from a new guy (ready for my face punch). where do you find oats? what type of oats are we talking about (quaker oats count). sorry for my ignorance have always been a 2 egg + 1 banana and strawberries wash it all down with a big glass of milk. might be interested in try some oats though (got some out in the barn lol).

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »
You can find them in any grocery store.  The ones discussed most often in this thread are old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick cook) and steel cut.  If you have a grocery with bulk bins, that will almost certainly be the most cost-effective way to buy them.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 10:31:41 PM »
Almost two years ago I bought a 50 lb bag of steel-cut oats. I eat it for breakfast every other day and my bucket should last quite a bit longer;)

Heh. Now I think you're a horse. :)

And Cooks Country suggests soaking your steel cut oats in boiling water overnight then finishing in the am, which seems smart to me. I get uneven results in my crockpot.

Roses

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 06:20:40 PM »

Make granola! Super easy to make a big batch and keeps for a couple weeks in a sealed container.  I even top my oatmeal with granola to give it a crunch.  Oats on oats :)  Another way is to toast some nuts and top your oatmeal with that.

Roses

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »

And Cooks Country suggests soaking your steel cut oats in boiling water overnight then finishing in the am, which seems smart to me. I get uneven results in my crockpot.

Ok, I was going to ask about this.  I've been reading the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and it seems a lot of people, including the Weston Price foundation, recommend soaking oats overnight in slightly warm water with some whey or lemon juice.  This is to reduce 'anti nutrients' like phytic acid and to allow absorption of other nutrients - as I understand it.  The Quaker oats box used to have that printed in the instructions back in the 50's.  Apparently that goes for most grains.  Fallon says people have been soaking or fermenting grains since humans started eating them.  I've been doing it recently but it's a pain if you forget.  I'm wondering if this is just overkill or what.  Plus I haven't figured out how to make granola from soaked oats.
I've been doing something like this: http://thenourishinghome.com/2012/03/how-to-soak-grains-for-optimal-nutrition/

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 11:44:51 PM »

Ok, I was going to ask about this.  I've been reading the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and it seems a lot of people, including the Weston Price foundation, recommend soaking oats overnight in slightly warm water with some whey or lemon juice.  This is to reduce 'anti nutrients' like phytic acid and to allow absorption of other nutrients - as I understand it.  The Quaker oats box used to have that printed in the instructions back in the 50's.  Apparently that goes for most grains.  Fallon says people have been soaking or fermenting grains since humans started eating them.  I've been doing it recently but it's a pain if you forget.  I'm wondering if this is just overkill or what.  Plus I haven't figured out how to make granola from soaked oats.
I've been doing something like this: http://thenourishinghome.com/2012/03/how-to-soak-grains-for-optimal-nutrition/

I got nothin' for you on that front. :/

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
When I was eating cereal for breakfast, it was handy to mix in some oats with the cereal to make it more economical. Now that I'm trying to eat fewer carbs, my breakfast most mornings consists of two scrambled eggs with sautéed onions and spinach, with some curry powder or pepper on top. I plan to try one of the low carb breakfast quiches/casseroles at some point.

LB4eva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »
So you can nuke old fashioned oats the way you would those instant oatmeal packets? I'm addicted to those raisin/walnut/date oatmeal packets. Would it be possible to make my own by mixing raisins, nuts and some cinnamon with milk and just microwaving it? I was under the impression that old fashioned oats needed to be cooked for longer.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 11:45:35 PM »
How to make your own instant oatmeal packs with any kind of oats.

I haven't tried these, but I've nuked old fashioned oats with milk and stuff.  Chewy, but good, IMHO.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 05:26:05 AM »
So you can nuke old fashioned oats the way you would those instant oatmeal packets? I'm addicted to those raisin/walnut/date oatmeal packets. Would it be possible to make my own by mixing raisins, nuts and some cinnamon with milk and just microwaving it? I was under the impression that old fashioned oats needed to be cooked for longer.

My kids eat old fashioned oats from the microwave. I do equal parts oats and water (I don't like soggy oats) and microwave for one minute. I like mine with frozen blueberries/strawberries/peaches and walnuts (also frozen to keep the costco-size fresh). I'll cook mine for 2 mins if the toppings are frozen and top with a pinch of brown sugar and milk/almond milk.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 09:17:08 PM »

I microwave quick oats nearly every day. It works fine. About a minute.

A good way to find out is just to try it. It will only take you a couple minutes and cost you a few cents.

This is MMM, after all. We value experimentation here.

Anyway, after cooking them, I put fresh fruit and nuts on it. Before cooking I put chia seeds in.

Delicious, nutritious, and cheap.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 09:21:57 PM »

Make granola! Super easy to make a big batch and keeps for a couple weeks in a sealed container.  I even top my oatmeal with granola to give it a crunch.  Oats on oats :)  Another way is to toast some nuts and top your oatmeal with that.

I use apples for the crunch. And mixed nuts. And chia seeds too.

Sometimes I go for bananas instead of apples for something smoother. Strawberries the other day. Maybe these peaches I just got. Switch the fruit and nuts from day to day and you get a range of textures and flavors. I don't find boxed cereals can match the variety, nutrition, or cost.

Still, I use apples most. I prefer super-tart crisp green ones since the oats and nuts have such mild flavor.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 04:40:21 PM »

I have been making these instant oatmeal packages for the last couple of weeks.
http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Oatmeal_Packets

Hubby says they are way better then the packets (except I haven't figured out how to make sugar eggs with little gummy dinos in them)

My favorite combo has been cinnamon date, Hubby loves dried apricot and candied ginger. The best thing about them is you don't have to nuke them, just add hot water.

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 06:05:15 AM »
Something I like to do to give my oatmeal some extra protein is replace part fo the water/milk with an egg. Then scramble/mix it into the oats, and microwave. It makes a sort of flan/porridge that's really good.

Rickk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 06:59:42 AM »
I have been making overnight oats - and have to say it is really tasty.  If I don't want it cold - I nuke it for 30 seconds and it is really yummy.  My favorite recipe to date is:

1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup yogurt (I just use Aldi peach yogurt).
1 Tbs Chia seeds
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/3 cup chunky chopped apple sauce
hand full dried cranberries
hand full chopped walnuts

Mix above ingredients night before and leave in refrigerator, eat next day for breakfast or lunch.

For those wondering - the Chia seeds make the whole thing jell up so by morning it is not the least bit runny.  Costco has a big bag of them for the best price I have seen - they are pricey but worth it for me.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 11:57:32 PM »
my oatmeal breakfast, sometimes lunch or dinner--
oats, strawberries, blueberries, pecans, skin of an apple, raisens and banana.

Franklin

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 09:41:57 AM »
Wow!  I thought I was the only one.  There is a national restaurant near my house called the Corner Bakery that serves this as "Swiss Oatmeal".  I had it and was hooked immediately.  Now I eat oats in cold milk with just about everything.  So props to the Swiss if it was their original idea.  Also, we're all friends here so I can tell you that oats will make your cholesterol go down and you will poop like Superman. 

Rachelocity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 10:05:03 AM »
I like to soak rolled oats in a mixture of runny (non-Greek) yogurt and frozen fruit overnight.  It turns into a sludgy pudding that's  absolute heaven on a summer morning. 

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
Does anyone other than me really like more savory oatmeal?  My favorite breakfast is oatmeal with walnuts and some leftover broccoli, kale, or spinach from last night's dinner.  I just put 1 c. oats (I use the Quaker rolled oats, I buy them at Costco) in a bowl with the nuts, add hot water, put the vegetables on top, and nuke for 1.5-2 minutes, then stir it all around and eat up.  Having the vegetables on top seems to keep the oats from bubbling up over the top of the bowl.  The whole thing is about 600 calories and I have no need to eat again until lunchtime at 1pm or so!

In the summers I also like the more muesli style oatmeal that has been soaked overnight and had fruit added.