Author Topic: Who walks to work?  (Read 29018 times)

arpies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Who walks to work?
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2015, 08:41:16 PM »
Currently moving from my 15min walk to literally one block from work!

Yes, I am that lazy! But the housing costs are also 40% cheaper.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »
I either walk with one of the two dogs I dog-sit, or bike. About 3.5 km each way. Not much but that short distance feels like an eternity on a bike at -45.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2015, 06:50:50 AM »
I walk sometimes, it's about 1.5 miles. Or bike the "long" way, 1.7 miles, to use the route with the bike path. There're trucks blasting by on one of the roads I walk, but there's a sidewalk too, so it's not too bad, and there's a great park to walk through close to work.

A couple times while I was walking home, a coworker slowed down beside me and asked if I needed a ride, or "Did your car break down?", or "Why are you walking?" These are people who know I live close to work, unbelievable!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »
+1 to all the runners!

After moving a few months ago I finally got around to biking to work several times each of the last few weeks, 6 miles each way.  Long story short; the advantages or riding are not overwhelming in this bike-unfriendly area and after the time change riding home in the dark was sort of the last straw.  I was thinking I would not ride till it was bright out next year but then reading this thread resurrected the idea of cycling to work after dawn then running home.  The following day I would drive in and take the bike home in the car; wash rinse repeat. 

Before this seemed a bit complicated, but reading this thread about the walkers, I think I will put this plain into action Thursday Friday when the weather is not shit.  Walking 6 miles would take to long (maybe I am to lazy too :-) but I can run that in about an hour and I would need to get those running miles in anyway.  I dont like the idea of riding on dark roads (I have lights but still) but I can run the sidewalk just fine (I feel more at risk ridding on sidewalks than in the road).  Running to work would be a bit much for me now, I think I would just be to tired to properly function. 

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »
I walk. 20 minutes through the downtown core. I live downtown on purpose so I can do that, in a city (Vancouver BC) with plenty of dense housing just outside the working core. (Our core is ringed by dense residential neighborhoods.)
I decided I was going to live wherever I worked, so I wouldn't be commuting. Plenty of sprawl here and people who are willing to commute up to 90 minutes each way so they can have a yard and a garage. They usually say "oh, you're so lucky!' when I say I walk to work. Eff that. I always tell them that I certainly feel fortunate, but luck had nothing to do with it. My proximity to work was *planned* and I live in 400 square feet instead of 1400.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2015, 03:57:25 PM »
Don't know how I missed this thread. DH's work is 3/10th of a mile from our house. Yup, three and a half blocks. We walk up the hill together every day at 5:45 am and then I walk home and go back to sleep. It is up a steep hill, but I enjoy the stargazing on the way home.

When he finishes at 3:30, I walk halfway up the hill to meet him and we walk home together hand in hand. Our house is a ridiculous clown house with high CA COLA taxes, but damn, walking to work is awesome!

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2015, 11:50:14 PM »
I walk only 15 minutes and it is so much better walking than riding a bike. When I walk I can enjoy the weather and the trees, when I bike I have to pay attention to traffic.

SimpleGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2015, 12:28:57 PM »
I do - about 1/6 of a mile one way.  I love it.  Makes going to work so much easier.  Of course, now that I've been spoiled, it will be hard to take another job where I can't walk to work.