Author Topic: Who says a baby costs heaps?  (Read 4411 times)

aussieshorter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Who says a baby costs heaps?
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:31:08 AM »
New reader here, who has hijacked her husbands account ;)

I wanted to share how proud I am of our nursery for our impending arrival, considering how relatively new I am to the idea of frugality. Hubby's been practising the idea a lot longer than I have and has been trying to pass on his wisdom (we are getting there!).

So now for the bragging:
- First, if you check out the pics of the nursery.... http://buttonsandbooties.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/36-weeks-nursery-is-complete.html

- What I am most proud of, is that with the exception of the mobile, everything that is made of fabric in the room, I made myself, with discounted fabrics.

- We painted the room ourselves

- The chest of drawers is upcycled

- The chair was purchased as floor stock at our local baby expo, saving $550

- The book shelf totalled $35, and was actually purchased as multiple picture rails from Ikea

- We haven't purchased a single piece of clothing or toys. Everything has been handed down to us from friends with kids.

- Perhaps, where I could have saved more was the cot and change table. We purchased through Ebay, receiving a package deal but might have saved more going second hand!

- Everything else that you can see in the room (the lamp, mobile, baby monitor, night light etc) were all given as gifts at the baby shower.

I absolutely adore the room. There really isn't anything that I would change. The biggest bonus is that all of the savings can go towards things that will actually help baby's future!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:56:15 AM by aussieshorter »

going2ER

• Stubble
Re: Who says a baby costs heaps?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »
Great nursery. Just keep remembering that babies/children only cost as much as you let them. Find friends/ coworkers who have children slightly older than yours and let them know that you are open to hand me downs for clothes and toys.

aussieshorter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 03:51:58 PM »
Great nursery. Just keep remembering that babies/children only cost as much as you let them. Find friends/ coworkers who have children slightly older than yours and let them know that you are open to hand me downs for clothes and toys.

Absolutely.  In fact, we haven't had to buy a single bit of clothing yet and we shouldn't need to until around 12 months, simply because of friends who have given us their used stuff.

aussieshorter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
I just wanted to update this post with my latest mini project - making Christmas pyjamas!

I've never really been one to make my own clothes, but as I've been trying all these new things for our baby, I thought it was about time I give clothes a go.

So I ended up making:
- Pyjamas for hubby - www.buttonsandbooties.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/mens-christmas-pyjamas-tutorial.html
- Pyjamas for me - www.buttonsandbooties.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/ladies-christmas-pyjamas-tutorial.html
- Pyjamas for our little man - www.buttonsandbooties.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/elf-applique.html

They turned out great, and I'm really happy with them.  My next project is to make stockings for all of us :). 

This sewing bug is hard to shake once you get going!

startswithhome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 06:42:45 PM »
The big cost of children is either lost wages or child care. I see calculations that include it, and ones that don't. But awesome job controlling the expenses you can.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
The big cost of children is either lost wages or child care. I see calculations that include it, and ones that don't. But awesome job controlling the expenses you can.
True and sometime medical costs.  We would be saving about $1000 in premiums alone if we did not have my daughter.   However, by saving on clothes/food/diapers etc you can make a decent dent, allowing for some extra flexibility. 

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »
As others have mentioned, child care, diapers, formula, co-pays at the doctor's office, child car seat--those are the major costs.  Clothing and toys are pretty negligible if you shop at garage sales, shop hand-me-down places, etc.  Your nursery looks great!!!!!