Author Topic: Who else is going without air conditioning today?  (Read 28940 times)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
Who else is going without air conditioning today?
« on: June 12, 2015, 11:13:04 AM »
Getting to 94 degrees here today. I'm working in my home office, with the desk placed in the north-facing bay window for air flow and the ceiling fan I installed on. I know I'll use it eventually this summer, but sticking it out today when I can hear all the humming outside feels good.

FranzJoseph

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Peace for Paul Foundation
Re: Who else is going without air conditioning today?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »
When I replaced my circa 1986 electric heat pump with a gas furnace I omitted installing AC.  94 F the other day - house didn't get above 76!  I use fans in the morning to pump cold air in and then seal it in through the day. 

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 12:44:02 PM »
Awesome! Our air is off, but it's only getting to 84 during the day and it drops to 55 each night, so the cool air stays in.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 01:27:16 PM »
Highs are in the 105-110 range this week, so going without is not an option, however I'm mainly doing the same thing as last year.  My utility company charges a peak rate from 1pm to 8pm on weekdays and a far cheaper rate at all other times.  I picked up a $25 programmable thermostat and set is to only kick in at 83 degrees M-F 1pm-8pm.  At other times it's either 80 or 78 degrees to balance comfort and cost savings.  Overnight lows are usually 75-80 degrees, so there's no benefit to opening a window at this time of year.

OTOH, my car's air conditioning has been broken since the end of September last year, so I've been going without A/C in my car ever since then.  Thankfully I generally only have to do short drives and also have tinted glass.

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 01:35:56 PM »
Feeling like a wuss.  <Walks downstairs to shut the air off feeling like a complainypants.>

zoltani

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 01:36:55 PM »
Air conditioning is very rare here in the PNW, so I am always without.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 02:04:02 PM »
+1

Patrick A

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 02:18:17 PM »
+1
+2

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 02:21:22 PM »
Over 90 here, 85 inside, just fine. :)

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 02:12:06 AM »
Few places in this part of Europe have A/C, including our house. But I grew up in the Northeastern US and know how to manage advanced window opening and chimney effect techniques to keep the house cool.

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 04:37:30 AM »
           Live in  the southeast myself. Wife and I have not turned on the a/c once. the house was at 90 last night at 7pm. Over the course from spring to summer though seems like our bodies have adjusted to the temp and it is  not  too  bad.
  The first couple of days of  the temp in the house being in the high 80s  was rough but after about a week our bodies have seemed to adjust and now it feels quite normal.   We just keep a fan running in whichever room we are in and keep the windows open in the house for air circulation.  Have noticed though that when I go into work I am freezing with the a/c on 72. But, yard work and running outside has gotten much easier as the heat does not seem to affect me as much sense my body has gotten use to the heat.   
          Just an experiment the wife and I wanted to try this summer. See if we can make it all the way through September without turning on the a/c and to see how well our bodies adapt to the rising heat. So far so good. Just takes about a week to adjust whenever the heat spikes around 5 degrees in the house. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:39:48 AM by UltraRunning »

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 05:56:27 AM »
[Beginning of Rant]

i just want to go on record as a normal person here and state that all you guys going without ac where its hitting 90 are NUTS and if youre sleeping in an 80 degree room, you need help; 80 is beach temperature not sleeping temperature.

room temperature is 72 qnd generally considered the maximum temperature during sleep at my house. if it takes an extra year to become fi because of my ac expemses, i am quite okay with it. hot and sweaty is not an acceptable state of being in a 1st world country.

[End of Rant]

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 06:09:42 AM »
[Beginning of Rant]

i just want to go on record as a normal person here and state that all you guys going without ac where its hitting 90 are NUTS and if youre sleeping in an 80 degree room, you need help; 80 is beach temperature not sleeping temperature.

room temperature is 72 qnd generally considered the maximum temperature during sleep at my house. if it takes an extra year to become fi because of my ac expemses, i am quite okay with it. hot and sweaty is not an acceptable state of being in a 1st world country.

[End of Rant]

No my room gets down to the 70's with a box fan well before bed time. So assuming that it is an 80 degree room is wrong. You're more than welcome to your take on it. But I'm not "NUTS" for living the way I live, and I'm (maybe?) just as normal as you.

Ramza Beoulve

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 07:43:55 AM »
One day is child's play.

I went to the University of Florida for 3 years before I enrolled in professional school. I went the entire 3 years without air conditioning. 3 years!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 07:48:02 AM »
For me it's more of a mold avoidance issue than a temperature issue. This house is earth sheltered and doesn't get hot, even here in the sweat belt. But the indoor humidity approaches 90% in 24 hours without AC (or using the dehumidifier). Not surprising since that's the outdoor humidity.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 10:10:23 AM »
[Beginning of Rant]

[End of Rant]

No my room gets down to the 70's with a box fan well before bed time. So assuming that it is an 80 degree room is wrong. You're more than welcome to your take on it. But I'm not "NUTS" for living the way I live, and I'm (maybe?) just as normal as you.
+1

FWIW, here in Central Texas summer temps can get over 100F routinely.  And it is quite humid.  72F would be much too cold for me to sleep comfortably in the summer.  I don't go swimming if it's *only* 80 degrees outside.  I camp at the beach when nighttime temps are still above 72.

When there are heatwave in more northern areas, people die at temps that I would be comfortable.  I dont think those people weren't normal, nor do I think they were nuts.  They weren't acclimated to temps that I live in.

The flip side of this is I dont handle cold very well, so working in a commercial building where the thermostat is set to 76 makes me feel cold...I keep a blanket at my desk.  I have a coworker from a northern state who is sponging herself with water in the same room.

I consider this normal and it is for me.  I would consider someone as being NUTS if they decided that their particular climate preferences were the only normal and would make equal sense for everyone in all climates.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 06:59:01 PM »
It hit 87 here today and the AC kicked in for the first time.   Both DW and I thought the other wanted it so it took 30 minutes before we both started asking questions and turned it off.

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 11:09:31 PM »
[Beginning of Rant]

[End of Rant]

All in the mind set.  Why is being hot and sweaty and allowing your sweat glands to actually perform their duties unacceptable? Instead of letting technology to do all the work I allow my body to actually use its abilities to cope with heat and cold.  During the winter we set our heat at 65 to experiment with the cold. Again was rough for a week or so but just piled on the blankets and eventually our bodies adapted. 
           We just find it interesting to see how our bodies adapt to temperatures instead of setting the a/c monitor to do all the work for our bodies. We are lucky enough to do such experiments since we do have the luxury of living in  the USA and could turn on the a/c or heat on at any point.
           Ask yourself why you always feel the need to be comfortable wherever you are 100 percent of the time. What's wrong with putting your mind and body in uncomfortable situations to see how you react and grow from it since you do not have to live in that permanent state due to first world luxuries.   

Full Beard

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 01:40:05 AM »
For me it's more of a mold avoidance issue than a temperature issue. This house is earth sheltered and doesn't get hot, even here in the sweat belt. But the indoor humidity approaches 90% in 24 hours without AC (or using the dehumidifier). Not surprising since that's the outdoor humidity.

This is the same for me too with regards to the mold.  Air conditioners are used to cool, and "condition" the air.  I do set mine pretty high during the day and then cooler at night while I'm sleeping.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 04:30:48 AM »
[Beginning of Rant]

[End of Rant]

A lot of it is how you are conditioned.

If you are used to working in an office and living in a house chilled like a meat locker, 80 degrees seems unbearable.

If you ween yourself off the fossil fuel burning, high cost artificial air, it's not a big deal. 

As a side bonus, if you ween yourself off the artificial air, you won't break out in a sweat every time the temp goes above 75. 

We usually keep our AC at 79 or 80, and that's only because my wife is a soft, weak and whiny city girl.  If it was up to me, I'd be fine up to 83. 

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 05:01:38 PM »
Thanks to this thread, I have been using mine alot less.  (I normally LOVE to have my central a/c on).  The mild weather has helped too.  But I am loving opening all the blinds and windows to let the fresh air and sunshine into the house. 

I don't think I will be able to go without it when the temp is above 90 though.  I had to turn it on today when I came in from mowing the lawn.  And I think it only got in the high 80's this afternoon.   

This is one area I am not sure I will ever achieve bad-assity.  But I am making forward strides.   I'm embarrassed to admit that I like to get it down to 60 overnight in the house. Then in the a.m. when I get up for work it's cold, so I actually turn the heat on for a short time to break the chill.   So I've stopped doing that too, and just open the windows at night.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 08:16:51 PM »
Getting to 94 degrees here today. I'm working in my home office, with the desk placed in the north-facing bay window for air flow and the ceiling fan I installed on. I know I'll use it eventually this summer, but sticking it out today when I can hear all the humming outside feels good.

I caved and turned on the air this week. But I do keep it on 79, and when I go to work I turn if off. 

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 08:32:07 PM »
This is one area I am not sure I will ever achieve bad-assity.  But I am making forward strides.   I'm embarrassed to admit that I like to get it down to 60 overnight in the house. Then in the a.m. when I get up for work it's cold, so I actually turn the heat on for a short time to break the chill.   So I've stopped doing that too, and just open the windows at night.

Yikes. Maybe you could save some money by keeping your thermostat in the 70's and putting a stand fan blowing on you in your bedroom? 

One of my few iron clad personal rules is to never run the heat and air on the same day.

In fact, in Spring and Fall I keep an eye on the long term forecast. If it is hot but cold weather is coming I intentionally let the house get too warm for comfort. For approaching hot weather, I let the house get too cool for comfort.

That way, say in the case of approaching hot weather, I feel like I save money twice. Once by letting the house get cold by not running the furnace. Then just days later I save on air condition because it takes a few days longer for the house to get so hot that I “have” to run the air.

honaras

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 08:39:57 PM »
i have a window air conditioner. it's sitting on a chair on the porch. there if i need it.

i'm in the mid atlantic region, home of high humidity. we do fine with a box fan and overhead fan at night, and i'm getting the hang of closing the windows and blinds in the AM to trap the cool.

then again, we had the therm set at 55 for most of the winter, and the kiddo didn't complain once. that's what sweaters and blankets and hot water bottles are for.

sabertooth3

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 05:48:26 AM »
90+ temps with 60%+ humidity for 2 straight weeks? Yeah, my A/C is going on. I took a bag of potatoes out of my kitchen cabinet and they were moldy. I've kept taters in there for a month in the winter and spring without any incident. For me, it's more for mold prevention then comfort. I'm fine with 75-80, but I figure it would cost a lot more to fix a mold problem than the added energy costs.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 06:00:38 AM »
I leave my windows and balcony door open all summer--last year, I only had to give in and turn on the AC about two days during the season. I'm near Toronto, so we don't get the absolute worst heat, but we still get up into the 80s and 90s (and are less used to it!), but I've found that acclimating, plus cool evenings, makes all the difference. Hopefully I'll do as well this year as last!

churchill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 08:56:55 AM »
But I grew up in the Northeastern US and know how to manage advanced window opening and chimney effect techniques to keep the house cool.

Care to explain the chimney effect? I'm rather curious. (I'm in the mid-Atlantic, we don't use the A/C to keep cool, we use it to manage humidity.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:59:13 AM by churchill »

YoungConsultant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
No A/C installed in my house at all. Can't say I've been bothered by temp at all when I'm actually home. I almost never use my car A/C either, I open the windows. Now ask me low I'm going to attempt to keep my thermostat in the winter :) (hint: I'm going to try 55 and warm clothes)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
It's 98 here today, so I turned on my car A/C on the way home from work. I only do that a few times per year. And I have the A/C on 77 here at home. I can't sleep if it's too hot. I'm happy to pay for sleep. :)

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 06:11:26 PM »
No A/C installed in my house at all. Can't say I've been bothered by temp at all when I'm actually home.

Yeah if your house doesn't even have A/C, you don't live in a warm climate.  Here's what I'm looking at for my zip code:

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »
  I'm embarrassed to admit that I like to get it down to 60 overnight in the house. Then in the a.m. when I get up for work it's cold, so I actually turn the heat on for a short time to break the chill.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 11:22:21 PM »
+1
+2

It was 86 today in Anchorage, AK. When we moved from Portland I laughed at my husband who wanted to bring our window-mounted AC unit. "When would we possibly need that?" I said. Regretting that decision a little now. We don't even have a ceiling fan in our house. Depending on how long the heat wave keeps up, I may have to break down and get a fan.

penguins4everyone!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 11:34:12 PM »
Wore an effing scarf to work today in the artic tundra that is San Francisco California in June.  We had a lovely February though! This place is very confusing.  Avg. rent for one bedroom is like $3400 but you're electricity bill will seriously be like $20 year round.  So, tradeoffs?

island_guy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 01:55:48 AM »
Yup, 91F here today and 82% humidity - just got a fan on me and I feel completely cool.

Months of living in south east asia near the equator where the temperature stays around 90 24/7/365 days of the year have enabled me to adjust quite nicely - 76F in the office feels freezing and I wear a jumper when I go in!

[Beginning of Rant]

[End of Rant]

It's really just a question of adjusting.  Where I live the temperature doesn't drop a night and its routinely 85+ indoors throughout the night.  I was the same as you when I got here and had AC on cold all night.  Now I just have a fan and it feels 100% fine.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 03:56:23 AM »
I am!

But I'm kinda cheating because it's winter here (currently 13.7C outside, and about 18C inside), and I don't have aircon anyway :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:58:57 AM by alsoknownasDean »

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 05:50:56 AM »
Unfortunately not.  Living in the southeast with 104 temps and 90% humidity.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 05:59:20 AM »
As long as it cools off at night, I think we might have a chance at going without A/C for this whole summer.  Letting the house cool off at night and having a fan on us during the day and evening seems to work pretty well.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 06:05:27 AM »
We have company coming on Thursday and staying for the weekend, so it looks like our streak will end then. Hopefully we'll be able to adjust ourselves back afterwards.

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 06:22:26 AM »
No possible way I'm going without it when its 92% humidity. I am at least keeping the setting at 75 to 78 and running a de-humidifier in the living area to control the humidity. I figure it's cheaper when the house temperature is good but the humidity is high to run the small unit a bit.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 07:16:14 AM »
No AC still.  I'm hoping to hold out until July.  We also have more issues with humidity than heat.  The hottest it has been indoors was 88 degrees.  The key for us right now is doing all of our cooking outdoors or without using the oven or stove.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2015, 08:24:08 AM »
We use air conditioner when the inside temperature is higher than 82 degrees.

I try every year to get my husband to stop baking in the summer, but he doesn't usually listen to me- so use of the oven certainly doesn't help things out.

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2015, 10:00:48 AM »
AC everyday (for sleeping only) between June-August crew checking in.

No way going without it in NYC's disgusting summer.  Split the bill 4 ways with roommates so idc

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2015, 10:39:32 AM »
76F in the office feels freezing and I wear a jumper when I go in!

I wish work wasn't so damn cold.
I feel like having cold AC for 40 hours a week holds me back from becoming tolerant of the 80+ degrees in my house.
Maybe I'll get stares and start wearing a coat at work

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2015, 10:42:29 AM »

Same here.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »
I have not had AC for the last 7 years.

There are a few nights every summer where I wish I did. But in the grand scheme of things I am glad I don't have it, my electric bill is nearly non existent as a result.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
Had a fight with my roommate last night over the A/C. I was marginally ok with leaving it on b/c of humidity and more storms coming, and it was set to 78. She wanted it colder - her mother is a complete wuss and can't handle anything other than 72 (year round!). Doesn't help that she "can't" sleep without covers. We compromised at 75 and I slept with a blanket.

Though her room is much warmer in the summer (and colder in the winter). And we were both crabby last night.

Trimatty471

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2015, 07:15:35 PM »
76F in the office feels freezing and I wear a jumper when I go in!

I wish work wasn't so damn cold.
I feel like having cold AC for 40 hours a week holds me back from becoming tolerant of the 80+ degrees in my house.
Maybe I'll get stares and start wearing a coat at work

I put my space heater on at work and I wear a sweater. 

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »
  I'm embarrassed to admit that I like to get it down to 60 overnight in the house. Then in the a.m. when I get up for work it's cold, so I actually turn the heat on for a short time to break the chill.

I've stopping doing this now.  Have only had the air on for one night in the past week and I kept it at 70.   This is huge progress for me!  (Fortunately, the outdoor temps continue to be almost perfect).   My goal is to widen my tolerance zone.  And learn to sleep without all the blankets.

FrugalBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2015, 11:41:08 AM »
We've only turned it on a few hours twice for the benefit of guests we had for a meal. We've only had a couple 90 degree days so far, which has helped. We're definitely using it a lot less than last year, though. Temperature tolerance is not static! You may think you can't handle 80 degrees, but you can build your tolerance degree by degree... I'm not toally sure but I think it may be better for your body anyway.

I feel like our tolerance threshold goes like this...
70-75 degrees F: T-shirts and shorts!
75-80: Turn on the fans!
80-85: Drink lots of cold water!
85+: OK fine we'll turn it on!! For a couple hours at least!!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2015, 12:41:27 PM »
Unfortunately I'm going without an A/C today because it died. When we turned them on this week, this one wasn't cooling. Just found out the compressor is dead and I'll be out $3600. But the old one is the original unit from when the house was built and outlasted its sibling. And the replacement comes with a 10 year warranty and is a much more efficient 14 SEER than the old wreck.