Author Topic: When life throws you a twist, make sure you can bend  (Read 4366 times)

GoStumpy

• Stubble
    • YNAB = The ultimate budgeting software
When life throws you a twist, make sure you can bend
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »
There have been many lessons I have learned in the past week, and I'm learning more lessons every day. 

The most important learning tool you can have in life is to surround yourself with an army of advisors, people that know more than you, have done more than you, and have the right advice at the right time.  An advisor that can advise you when what you are going to do isn't just not the best idea, but that there is a better idea. 

We don't need to surround ourselves with people that tell us what NOT to do, society needs people to tell us what we SHOULD do, or at least how to best find a path to the answer we seek.  For this reason I have a group of friends that are far older than me, and I am starting to refer to them as the 'Elders' of my personal friendship group.

(I can honestly say, if I knew MMM personally, he would probably be in that group)

This army is built up over a lifetime, it cannot be bought, it cannot be copied, and it cannot be destroyed... only by yourself.  No outside force can dismantle an army that is built with good intentions, honesty, integrity, and trust.  Without ALL those factors, it can fall apart.

When you're available, give advice.  When you don't know an answer, find one.  You know somebody you can ask, and if you don't, find someone and ask them if they know anyone you can ask about the original question.  Beware the purple monkey dishwasher, try to talk to that end person yourself :)

This all has come to the surface in the last week, when what some may consider a minor inconvenience, others can see as a bit of a mini catastrophy.  You see, our family car was 'called' a write-off by an insurance adjuster. 

Do you trust insurance adjustors?  I just met him.  This is crazy.  Write my car off, pay me maybe?

No, I think that I'd prefer a settlement for fair market value of my family car, a similar replacement, or a voucher of similar value to a car that WILL replace my family's car.  That does not mean you can try to pay me the absolute minimum that someone that hasn't done any research will think is actually a decent sum of money.

The insurance companies have figures and equations that apparently will tell you how much your car is worth and can purchase a replacment.  Unfortunately, their equations don't factor in rarity, quality, build quality, value, fit to the driver, and safety.  Oh, and their program only goes back to 2000, so if you have a 1999 or older vehicle, their equations are faulty and incorrect.  Do not settle for less than your car is worth.

The elders in my life have told me not to let a big company bully you, don't let a single person bully you.  In this day & age, we are becoming more and more aware of corporate bullying.

Apparently it is now almost my bedtime, this will be continued shortly.  Stay tuned.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
Re: When life throws you a twist, make sure you can bend
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:45:25 AM »
As someone who works in insurance (and used to work in claims), let me caution you that you don't have much recourse to get what you think you deserve for your car's value.  They basically go off the market value of your car and don't have to factor in any kind of sentimental or use value.  This goes double if you are at fault for the accident.

I don't know who your insurance company is, but if you are with one of the big ones- State Farm, GEICO, Allstate, etc. they are generally ethical and working within the boundaries of the contract and the regulations set by the state insurance comissioner.  If you are with one of the fly by night insurance companies- The General, Safeco, The Elephant, etc.- then I can't make that same statement. 

I've seen a few cases where someone really fought the valuation of their car and hired a lawyer.  Some of them were sucessful (in that they got a couple of hundred extra dollars) but most were not.

If it is any consolation, most of the people who are dealing with your claim know that it sucks that you aren't getting what you value your car at, but what the market values it.  They aren't out to get you, just working within the exremely heavy regulations of their industry.

GoStumpy

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:34:02 PM »
I live in BC, Canada, and my insurance company is a public government agency.  It is the law to assist me when the other party is 100% at fault.

I am my own lawyer, with a few lawyer friends advising me without lawyer fees :)

GoStumpy

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:38:37 AM »
On the positive side, I am now driving luxuriously in a 2013 Ford Focus, pretty swanky.

Driving it, I effing hate it.  It's like my slow laptop, but it doesn't do anything.  All the electronics can go to hell.  Get rid of them.  The car lunges, hesitates, brakes are grabby...

Stereo is good, and I'm currently getting 7.1l/100km (33mpg) in the city... all I need to pay for is gas :)  I'm going to need the owners manual soon though, I can't figure out how to hook up my bluetooth!! haha

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 06:05:09 AM »
Ah!  I don't know a thing in the world about Canadian insurance laws, so I will wish you good luck!

And don't you love driving rental cars?  They always remind me that newer isn't always better :)

GoStumpy

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 06:04:58 PM »
Slight update.

I will now be using my replacement rental car as my sales vehicle for a new business venture, I have changed the insurance to allow anyone with a drivers license to use, as well as the rate class is personal & business use.

I also put collision insurance on it.

I will drive this car for as long as the insurance company takes to settle my claim.  The accident was not my fault, so I am not expected to rush for anybody.  They can rush all they want, I'm a laid back kind of guy.  I just got a bit wound up with insurance companies attempting to blame the wrong driver.

Thanks everyone, this has been an absolute eye-opening experience.

PS:  Dream Big.  If you dream big, big things can happen.  If you dream small, small things can happen.

My big dream?  10 million dollars in less than 10 years.  That will take some public speaking in front of 5000 people a few times a year :)  You'll remember the name Tyler Fuller, I promise you.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
Awesome, fight the power!  You go stumpy!

GoStumpy

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »
I gotta take a break from this whole insurance thing, waiting to see what the insurance company will say is keeping me far too on-edge, and I don't want to live my life stressing about things I cannot control.

I will either ignore it, or control it... so far I'm controlling it, but if they contact me again about almost anything, I will merely let them know I will relay the information to my lawyer.

But for now, I'm still really enjoying my 2013 Focus :)

I have a phone meeting with the VP of my employer monday morning, as well we are going to dinner with a customer Thursday, and breakfast one on one Friday Morning.  Far too many things going on at once, and I would really like to get this damn insurance claim over and done with.

There's a song that sums up my entire ordeal:

The Band Perry - Done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4emYaDbaJ8w