Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 320002 times)

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2016, 07:51:50 AM »
Was gonna say "bought nothing."

But between home heat and electricity, house tax, etc., I buy a lot every single day.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2016, 12:56:03 PM »
Was gonna say "bought nothing."

But between home heat and electricity, house tax, etc., I buy a lot every single day.

Technically yes. But I want to think of it as "paid on the 1st of the month" so I bought it that day not on the other 29 days.

conrad_9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2016, 02:11:24 PM »
Long time reader and have been following this thread and decided to join the Mustachian cheer.

Bought nothing today and deposited $30 of coins into my checking account. And biked there, like I do everywhere!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »
We have a bar we like to go to once or twice a month but being retired recently we have been staying away because it always ended up being a 50$ bill. Now the last 2x's we go home eat lunch and have the 2 for ones on Thursdays and its 10$. So once or twice a month we figured a way in our budget and have fun seeing our friends there.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2016, 07:43:57 AM »
A night light style lamp went out.  In the old days, I would have bought a new lamp.  This basically has a night light socket on an electrical cord.  Found the part for $5 online.  But had some extra led string lights laying around and used those instead.  The lamp is a butterfly lamp and has capiz shells, so the led lights look pretty shining through the shells.  So I fixed it and bought nothing.

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2016, 10:44:37 AM »
Another day without Starbucks, brought my breakfast and lunch to work and walked, so nothing spent. Yay!

All I did buy was a stamp (1.15) to mail my property tax to the city. Guess that falls in the "necessary" category.

thef0x

• Stubble
« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2016, 11:11:50 AM »
$5 ice cream.

Sucks.  Should've done it. 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2016, 01:50:25 PM »

An eyeshadow palette.  Saved 80 bucks.  The last thing I need is more eyeshadow.

apricity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »
I did NOT buy a bottle of water.

To explain: I went to the gym to take a fitness class, and I always bring my own reusable water bottle. As I pulled into the parking lot, I realized I did not have my bottle. The room is very far from the water fountain and I knew that would not work for me. Grudgingly I decided I would have to buy a bottle of water from the gym.  As I was getting out of the car I realized... almost out of sight I had my coffee thermos in the car! So I grabbed that and rinsed it out int he locker room, and filled it up at the water fountain. I probably looked a little nuts drinking from a coffee thermos during a fitness class, but I did NOT have to buy anything so it's worth it!

exshopaholic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2016, 03:26:33 PM »
Sorrel boots that were on sale. I still need winter boots tho :(

fishnfool

• Bristles
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2016, 08:15:47 PM »
Penciled out a 3 day trip to Vegas and as bad as my wife wants to go...I had to say No! Just not worth the expense for a few days of fun to me as we're already booked for a 9 night vacation in July to Hawaii.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2016, 10:30:53 PM »
Cleaned my own house today. Saved $, and actually saved some stress because I didn't have a bunch people in my housewhen I was trying to work. 

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2016, 10:35:57 PM »
Didn't get out for lunch, so I didn't even give myself the temptation to get fast food!

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2016, 12:19:50 AM »
Got a big contract for table tops. Was very tempted to buy a biscuit joiner(~$200). But, I don't normally do a lot of this kind of work, so I decided I didn't need to buy one just yet. I'll use my doweling jig for alignment instead. It'll take more time, but since my side hustle(wood furniture) isn't close to overwhelming my free time, I'll make do.

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #214 on: February 06, 2016, 03:01:06 PM »
Biked to a Museum with the kids today. Free entrance, brought snacks and coffee and actually found 1€.

Good day.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2016, 02:06:07 PM »
Birkenstock Arizona sandals. Friends of ours (from Germany) wear them as house shoes with socks, as do many Germans, and made them look awfully cute and desirable when we were visiting last night. Do I have plenty of Birkenstocks? Yes. Do I have plenty of socks and moccasins to wear at home? Yes. Now to just not look at them online AT ALL...

See, even the Mustachian FIRE types feel tempted sometimes. ;)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
Kids wanted to see the old movie, Barnyard. We don't own it. I was going to Walmart anyways so I looked for it there ... No luck. Came home and checked if our library has it ... Again, no luck. Then I checked online and there it was for FREE! Doh! Why don't I think of this first?! Anyways, happy dad and kids are now streaming it from my laptop onto the big tv with an hdmi cable. Yay for free movies!

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2016, 08:39:19 AM »
Had a six hour drive to visit family for the holidays.  Instead of stopping somewhere along the way for lunch or a snack when we stop for gas like we usually do , we had a big breakfast and packed healthy snacks (almonds, apples, carrot sticks).  Saved close to $30 bucks for both trips (there and back).

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2016, 01:44:46 PM »
I have milk, and I don't use milk unless I put it in something, because milk by itself is icky.  Today I didn't go to the grocery store just to get sugary cereal to eat with milk.  That saves me the cereal price as well as the price of all the other unnecessary stuff I'm sure I would have found - discounted Easter candy, chai mix to drink with milk, etc.

I read in a gardening thread today that you can use small amounts of milk to fertilize seedlings.  Maybe I'll have to use it all that way.  Double win!

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2016, 02:23:02 PM »
I really wanted to buy The Martian DVD but I resisted. I will wait till its on Netflix or might ask for it for my birthday. I did see it in the cinema but wanted to rewatch it. Also I have the book do might re-read that instead.

I also wanted to buy dinner before my dance class after work but resisted and had dinner at home afterwards instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »
Does your public library have DVDs?  I bet they'd have The Martian and it would be free or cost you $1.

Jschange

« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2016, 06:58:57 PM »
I did not buy a huge messy poutine or extra gravy or extra curds. I also did not get the free vinegar or fork my poutine would come with

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2016, 02:24:47 AM »
Does your public library have DVDs?  I bet they'd have The Martian and it would be free or cost you $1.
Oh good idea! They do have DVD's, I will check if they have it, thanks!

jfisher3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2016, 10:47:57 AM »
I almost bought a brand new garden tools set with an open box discount from Amazon. $70 set for $29. I had a few other items in the cart for comparison, but had deleted the rest. I was about to click check out, when I thought about how it might be fun to make my own/repurpose something else to carry my (to be acquired later) garden tools.

There's $30 while it would have been well used, would have been unnecessarily spent.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »
Head of organic cauliflower that was 4" across for $4.  Instead I bought a pineapple that was the same price and came out to a little over $1/lb once I weighed it. 

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »
On my last backpacking trip I realized that my nice wool long underwear has been decimated by moths.  I was ready to go buy a new nice pair, but realized I have a good-enough pair in my closet.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2016, 10:51:49 PM »
Still haven't bought any plants.  This is a big thing for me this time of year.  I am going to try to divide some of my existing perennials instead this weekend.  I had a full cart on the High Country Gardens site, but I'm holding off for now.  Also resisted buying herbs while at the feed store today.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #227 on: April 01, 2016, 12:21:11 PM »
I have also resisted buying plants . . . need to try to find free cuttings rather than go to the fancy nursery :)

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #228 on: April 01, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
No new winter cycling tights for me.
Current pair has hole worn in ass. Only gonna get worse. What to do?
Had some old bib shorts with worn out chamois insert, not that comfortable in the first place.
Unstitch insert, toss.
Put on hole-in-ass winter tights over top of shorts as per usual.
Now, old chamois-less bib shorts go on over the tights. Covers hole in ass. Works as suspenders. Looks more hardcore cyclist, even.
Total cost = zero. Should last a few winters.
Not so much badass as fixed-ass.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »
LOL ^^^ at fixed ass:)

1. Did not buy that fabulous cameo pendant - hand carved shell with fairy and half moon detail. I wanted that sucker so bad I could taste it.
Oh well, my new motto is "I'm re-directing my money", so $267 (on sale-sigh) no longer fits with my new goals. Right now, I'd like to see a little cash stash build up and jewelry purchases would sabotage my plans.

2. Made all sorts of dishes with the tomato and cabbage harvest bounty from the garden yesterday, various soups, sauce, casserole - my freezer is packed. A lot of healthy, organic goodness.
Never tried making salsa before, but I think that is what the next batch will be, since I am out of freezer space now.

3.Salvaged an old garden trellis by re-painting it - makes a good looking support for my tomato plants.

4. Traded some plants and seeds with my garden friends.
Managed to grow two African Blue basil plants (it has a slightly spicy taste - awesome basil flavor) from the mother plant and
two geraniums from the old plants. They are already as big as the plants the garden center sells for $3.95 each - score:)
My garden friend gave me a good size Palm she started from seed - amazing and free:) - those things can get expensive.
Got the swiss chard to reproduce three times from the old stalk - score!
Got plenty of Snap Dragon seeds to give to my garden friends - we love the big ole hardy kind in every color of the rainbow.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2016, 03:42:00 AM »
I ordered some apple cider vinegar and something for my pets, but I didn't buy another book. I want to read everything I own before I buy another book!

cyndre4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
A new pair of eyeglasses. I had an appointment yesterday and found that my prescription has shifted again, but after being ignored by the staff at the store I left. My two pairs are very out of date, but I see well enough with them on the rare occasions I am not wearing my contacts. Rude salespeople saved me at least $100!
Hey there! There are quite a few online shops that sell custom prescription glasses. I just tried zenni.com and love them! All frames in the world are made by the same company anyway, my new glasses cost me $50, and that includes shipping!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #232 on: April 03, 2016, 04:49:57 PM »
Self-esteem in the guise of new clothes.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2016, 05:11:38 PM »
Groceries.

geekinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2016, 08:55:26 PM »
Dessert!  Had a serious hankering to splurge, monetarily and calorically, on an ice cream sundae.  Instead, made up a batch of brownies at home, then blended frozen bananas with a little whipped cream to make a delicious pseudo ice cream to go on top.  Banana-cream-brownie thing was excellent and better for me.  Still have brownies to take to work this week, too.

LauraLovesKiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »
I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the "Badassity" section, but today I did NOT pay a plumber to unclog my kitchen sink. Woohoo!

I untwisted a wire clothes hanger and jammed it down the drain until the water started to go down. (How's that for detailed, professional  instructions?!) Then I boiled some water and poured that down to make sure the coast was clear.

I'm not sure I would recommend this course of action to everyone, but....all's well now and I'm pretty sure I avoided spending a couple hundred bucks. So that's that.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2016, 03:47:48 PM »
I did NOT buy a trellis. I got some wire through someone on my Buy Nothing Group. I still need to figure out staking it in though. Hmmm.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #237 on: April 05, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »
Haha! This is a funny thread! 

Many times, I am on my way to get something only to not purchase said item.  I figure I should start moving that money into a "did not buy" account to see how much I accumulate over the years.

Once, I realized that I did not want to buy something at the exact time that my wife asked, "what do you want?" while standing at the register.

Let's say she wasn't too happy as I had chosen the restaurant too.

Sometimes I do this- I really need to do it more consistently. I feel like I'll save a lot of money when I do that.

Saturday- not a good day day- I went to WalGreens- I didn't even have anything in my mind- I just went. I seriously need to retrain my brain on how to function. I was never like this ever till I moved to NJ.

Anyway- today was a win.
I always pack a lunch- ALWAYS. But occasionally the group goes out to lunch b/c we have consultants and meetings carry over- it's work time and useful. But I really couldn't afford and didn't want to spend the 10$ on a diner tuna wrap when I had a perfectly usable steak salad at my desk.

So I came back to my desk.
Tuesday 10$ win for  me!!!!

Chris M.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: April 05, 2016, 04:42:28 PM »
I rode my bike to work today so saved a couple of gallons of gas.  (It's about 26 miles each way).

And I brought my lunch, too.

apricity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2016, 08:32:50 PM »
Self-esteem in the guise of new clothes.

Thank you for this.  Needed this reminder!

Mikenost12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2016, 10:48:47 PM »
Didn't buy food, Pete's Coffee or anything else that I'm tempted to buy when running late to work, after finally planning ahead. Ate one of a batch cooked breakfast burrito, brought home brewed iced tea, had half a salad (ok, this was store bought on grocery day) lunch, dinner at home, definitely small victories

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2016, 01:33:54 AM »
I didn't buy buns for a party I'm hosting tomorrow night ... I plan to make them.

Corporate Coconut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2016, 03:08:39 AM »
A fancier lunch than I needed!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2016, 07:37:09 PM »
Ingredients (cashews!  why do you cost so much $$$$)  to make a fancy pants vegan, gluten-free cheesecake for a potluck tomorrow.  I want to bring something impressive, but instead am using the potatoes in the pantry to make potato salad.  Oh well, it is a yummy potato salad :)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2016, 07:40:44 PM »
I received a couple of previously-ordered pairs of jeans in the mail from Macy's today. Both were huge. I got online to re-order in a smaller size, but then I thought about all of the jeans already in my closet, and I closed the web page. I'll return these to the store and put the refund toward my $100,000 savings goal for the year.

B L I S S

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2016, 09:48:01 PM »
Food cravings are the most difficult for me to resist. Today I found some willpower; I wanted some Chinese food but I had plenty (I mean so much) food at home that it would've been ridiculous to order. I napped on it, made some fish, ate some bread, drank some tea, and saved $15 :)

Astreja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2016, 10:07:37 PM »
Talked myself out of stopping for a burger on the way home from band practice tonight.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2016, 02:53:04 PM »
Didn't buy ice cream from whole foods.  They had a big sign outside 2/5$ (one for 2.50)! Um that's a great deal, and they have diary free version of this brand.  Get inside and the dairy free isn't in the sale, and our weekly budget has 4$ left in it, which wasn't enough.  Probably would have gotten it even though it wasn't on sale otherwise.

Also gas, biked 3.5 miles to the pet food store and 3.5 back.  So I also saved a lot of calories today overall. :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2016, 02:15:34 AM »
Thought about stopping at Starbuck's or Dutch Brother's for an iced mocha on the way home from my half marathon.  Remembered I had chocolate icecream at home, so made a small cup of strong coffee and blended it with the icecream for a much more decadent beverage than whatever I would have spent $5 for at the coffee shop.

TrMama

« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2016, 12:15:27 PM »
A new dishwasher. Instead I performed the "Remove the annoying filter and clean it out procedure" that involves 2 different odd shaped screw heads and a lot of bending and reaching into the dishwasher's innards.

Cost: A fresh lower back spasm (it's been acting up lately anyway) and a scratched finger.

Result: Clean dishes every time! Plus a reminder to run a hot empty cycle with extra vinegar once in a while to keep the slime level down to an acceptable level.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!