Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 319968 times)

Kagey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2015, 11:56:04 AM »
An umbrella -- the fabric had come undone from three of the stays. I got out thread and needle and sewed them back on. Old umbrella works just fine now -- no need to buy one!

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »
Didn't have to bring lunch Wednesday, Thursday or today (Friday). Our company picnic on Wednesday had lots of leftovers. I brought some home last night for my boyfriend's dinner as well.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »
In the past, when DH is gone multiple days for work, I'll go to dinner at a soup place nearby and have the leftovers the next day for lunch. I didn't do that this time, and have eaten completely at home while he's been gone.

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2015, 01:15:07 PM »
not a damn thing. Same as yesterday and the day before.  I think i've finally broken the shopping/spending habits i had in my pre-mustacian days. :)

driftxsequence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2015, 02:33:24 PM »
Hi Fellow Delawareian!

Today my soon-to-be wife and I decided not to meet up and share a lunch from a favored local sandwich shop.

Instead I had PB&J.
I freeze the bread and toast it on days that I need it. This way it's never wasted. Most days I have leftovers from dinner so a loaf of bread can last a month sometimes.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »
Today I did not buy drive-through breakfast, but quickly made some coffee and hot European museli instead.

also didnt buy a replacement base for my broken Nutribullet. Ours broke and I could order one from eBay but I'm going to look on CL and just bide my time for a good price.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:39:47 PM by jengod »

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2015, 03:57:46 PM »
A cup of coffee.  The Hub and I stopped for bagels and in the past I automatically ordered coffee whether I wanted it or not because coffee and bagels, right.  So today I ordered a glass of water instead of the coffee because that was what i really wanted and besides it didn't cost $1.79.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2015, 12:21:14 AM »
Shopping at Costco tonight for FOOD -- felt the siren song of consumer goods but resisted: nice water bottles and travel mugs, solar walkway lights, jackets, yoga pants, shoes, post it notes, ream of paper, books, books, books, dvds, pillows, sheets, tea towels....the list is endless, really. 

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »
One of my bicycle wheel spokes broke (or possibly was cut!) and a bird pooped on my face but even though I was having a shitty morning I STILL didn't stop and get a donut from the fancy donut shop next to the bike shop. I am a true American hero.

enb123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »
Coffee, lunch... an iPhone 6.  One of those things is not like the others, but I'm glad to have avoided all of them!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
CRAAAAAAVING a Starbucks Frappe today and drove right by when it was, thankfully, lined up out the drivethru and into the mall parking lot. Whew!

Considering what to make at home to replace the craving...

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2015, 04:33:18 PM »
A whole house!

I cancelled an offer on a house at the top of our budget(well, self imposed budget, but still), that kept accruing costs.  It was going to be expensive for an expensive house - roof was on its last legs, furnace was 60 years old, had small HOA dues that wouldn't be with other houses in the area.  Lots of small things that I finally just noped out of.

We are looking at a few houses for about 60k less now, and most of them have furnaces and roofs from this century even!

Tenlha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2015, 05:58:45 AM »
One of my bicycle wheel spokes broke (or possibly was cut!) and a bird pooped on my face but even though I was having a shitty morning I STILL didn't stop and get a donut from the fancy donut shop next to the bike shop. I am a true American hero.

Yes, yes you are. That donut would have been mine.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2015, 12:45:52 AM »
Today I did not buy $330 plus S&H of vintage children's books on eBay.

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2015, 09:35:07 AM »
Take out food. Sometimes I get so hangry that I'm tempted to opt for laziness. Although I craved for that hamburger or poutine, I resisted and made myself a healthy sandwich. Win-win.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2015, 06:54:22 AM »
Hiking boots on clearance.
I went specifically for Field Notes (little notepads)
The store didn't carry them.
Of course than I start trolling for I'm a sucker for Outdoor Gear
Very tempted but managed to get away unscathed

link_417

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2015, 11:11:04 PM »
Junk food! I did not let my pizza and ice cream cravings force me to go out in the blistering heat.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2015, 07:27:45 AM »
Will terry cloth not unravel if you cut it with pinking shears?  I go through way too many paper towels.

Paper towels - instead, I bought a $1 cotton terry towel from the charity shop which I will cut up into squares using pinking shears and use in lieu.

If I wasn't a minimalist, I could have found an old one around the house to use, but we're pretty much at the point where there are no spare/old anythings lying around.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2015, 07:31:10 AM »
A recliner.  Yes it is 7 in the morning, but my internet surfing has not caused me to spend money yet!

AutoZealot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2015, 07:18:49 PM »
Took a page from the MMM playbook - bought clippers (yes I bought something = read on) from Amazon.

Cut own hair for total investment of $18.  Saved $22 + commuting fees. Yearly savings ~$400/year + commuting costs (round trip of 15 miles and 25 minutes each way)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2015, 07:28:27 PM »
My favorite sweet cream flavor ice cream from cold stone creamery. We went out to eat, but I was still hungry for a nice dessert (not something that happens all that often). The Cold Stone creamery happens to be on the way home and I was really tempted:) Saved me close to four bucks and now that I'm home I don't really miss it at all.
Better for my waistline too:)

clifford4970

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2015, 06:48:57 PM »
A gas station soda.
I am headed out for a company work trip and we received Per Diem today.  I got $52 cash and thought to myself, "I don't really need these 2 extra dollars, I'll swing by and get a soda on the way home"..... then really thought about it and decided to put it into my "extra dollar jar" at home.  Saved me 2 bucks!

Mrs. D.

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2015, 10:54:37 PM »
Housing.
My husband and I are experiencing an uncomfortable purgatory where we need to be in our current location because of his job, but we have not yet closed on a house. We briefly looked into a short-term lease for 3 months to tie us over, but it would have cost over $3K for the term. Instead, we hit up dear old grandpa and asked to stay at his place. Each day we've stayed with him has saved us about $100. Lest we get too excited about this free housing - we still had to pay rent on our previous lease in a different city. We will get some part of the month prorated however.

Mrs. Crackin' the Whip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Crackin' The Whip
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2015, 07:35:50 AM »
I am usually very resistent, I don't like shopping and spending money. But today it was just awful.
I wanted to buy (but did not buy): chocolate, pizza, crisps, lipstick, boots and a handbag. Especially the handbag was a hard one.
Fortunatelly, I could buy a few things (parfume, hair mask, hair moisturizer) which will be completely reimbursed by a cashback programme. However, it was a strange feeling, I am not used to craving things:-/

I experience periods in my life such as this.  It could last a day, a week, or even an entire month.  Hello June 2015...during which I bought a Roomba, a computer, a wireless energy meter and a slew of other things!

Take a deep breath...Step back, re-group, re-evaluate, focus, and move forward!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:49:00 AM by Mrs. Crackin' the Whip »

Amasa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2015, 10:19:02 AM »
I didn't buy a book today.

Put it on hold in the library instead. Plan to pick it up tomorrow.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »
There is a Vitamin Shoppe right down the road from where I work, within walking distance. I have a serious issue of buying the protein bars. They are just so delicious and hyper-palatable. Today, I drove past there twice (Driving is required for part of my job) and didn't buy any of those damn things. I swear they are laced with coke. But, at 2.00 a pop, they are obscenely expensive.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2015, 12:38:50 PM »
This ridiculously cool thing -  Kamp Rite Oversize Tent Cot - that I saw linked to in another thread here.  I want it so bad!  I have a bit of a camping equipment problem - lol.

But no.  I already have a perfectly good tent that has only been used once in five years :/  Ahem.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2015, 06:08:18 AM »
Yesterday was the first day during a work week I did not buy breakfast and/or lunch.   I made lunch at home and my new manager took the team out to lunch.

Of course we did go get ice cream a a family after dinner :).

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2015, 06:15:15 PM »
Was on a very un-stachian vacation at the beach, but resisted buying a $250 aluminum beach / fisherman's cart that would have been very helpful and usable on another trip planned soon to carry cooler, rods and beach gear...    But instead, transferred the $250 online into the mortgage payoff fund!    Not sure if that's half-a$$ or bad-a$$? 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2015, 09:22:54 PM »
Packing boxes! We thought we were going to have to buy sturdy cardboard boxes for the move to our new house - instead my MIL has offered us some boxes. Success!

I think we'll still have to buy some bubble wrap, though.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2015, 01:16:01 AM »
Resisted buying a very cute sign for an empty wall in my home that would suit my decor PERFECTLY! I flipped it over to look at the price tag ... $46.  In my pre-Mustachian days, I am almost certain I would have bought it, justifying that it was only $46. Today, I just put it back on the shelf and walked away. I glanced at it one more time before I left the store. Now that I'm typing this out, I'm wondering if I could make one myself??!!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2015, 11:36:53 AM »
Licorice.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2015, 09:46:31 AM »
Rocked a 1,000yd swim workout at sunrise, and walked right past the breakfast cafe' at work to eat high-protein and whole-grain breakfast I staged here ahead of time just for occasions like this. \m/

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »
That was our fifth car free weekend in a row now.  To celebrate, I put another $300 in the TFSA.

norcalmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »
A motorcycle.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2015, 04:29:33 PM »
Scratch off tickets! I love to play anything with a winning chance - no matter how small the odds:) If there is a sweepstakes it is calling my name:)

What made it particularly hard is that I had been resisting, but I had these winning tickets I'd forgotten to turn in for pay out and I was afraid they might be too old (over 6 months ago).
So I took them to a convenience store nearby and got paid $13. - which was a surprise, because I thought I only had $9-:). Anyway, walked out with only the winning money in my wallet - resisted the urge to buy more tickets. Whew!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2015, 01:31:27 AM »
Books!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2015, 04:03:41 AM »
Candy

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2015, 09:01:35 AM »
Breakfast burrito.  Didn't have any leftovers to take for lunch, so was thinking I'd just get a $3 burrito, then I face-punched myself and grabbed an avocado and an old can of soup instead.

prudence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2015, 08:44:13 AM »
Breakfast on the way to work. I was tempted, but grabbed some leftover dinner to eat when I get in the office instead

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2015, 01:50:37 AM »
A dress. I liked it really, really much, but it was very expensive. Still in doubt.... ;)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
Sweet potato chips.  I love having them on a long drive, but I had sweet potatoes at home, need to make snacks put of those instead.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2015, 11:48:38 PM »
My husband always asks jokingly if I want a bigger diamond. My ring came from Costco and lately I've noticed they have a bigger version of mine in some stores. Today I was in a Costco that was not my regular store and they 1) had it in the showcase and 2) there was a Costco person standing right there, key in hand. I finally tried it on and decided it looked wa-a-a-ay too big on my hand. Bam! Just like that, I saved eight thousand dollars, plus tax. And then I proceeded to buy only the LED lightbulbs I had gone into the store for.

deterra_k

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Real Life Stuff - Living Wisely
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2015, 05:48:51 AM »
I did not buy a new computer today.

Mod note: Link removed
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:35:22 PM by swick »

Singularity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2015, 06:32:45 AM »
A whole house!

I cancelled an offer on a house at the top of our budget(well, self imposed budget, but still), that kept accruing costs.  It was going to be expensive for an expensive house - roof was on its last legs, furnace was 60 years old, had small HOA dues that wouldn't be with other houses in the area.  Lots of small things that I finally just [p]oped out of.

We are looking at a few houses for about 60k less now, and most of them have furnaces and roofs from this century even!

Great call that will provide huge savings. 

Singularity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2015, 06:43:07 AM »
I did not buy a new computer today.

You don't need to either. Just make yours faster. Here is how.

https://sites.google.com/site/deterrak/extend-the-life-of-your-old-computer

That is a Solid idea.  Just install missing Windows XP updates on an old Intel Core Solo Notebook took over a day.  It was really painful and I will be moving to Linux.  [WinXP no longer has security updates which is an issue to]

Providing a short list of Linux Distributions well suited for older PCs with screen shots would really pump up your article. 
Here is an article with a few good ideas: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2107641/3-easy-linux-alternatives-for-windows-xp-refugees-who-dont-want-a-new-pc.html

One Idea is Lubuntu or LXLE (complete with WindowsXP mode)
Code: [Select]
Lubuntu is a fast and lightweight operating system. The core of the system is based on Linux and Ubuntu. Lubuntu uses the minimal desktop LXDE, and a selection of light applications. We focus on speed and energy-efficiency. Because of this, Lubuntu has very low hardware requirements.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2015, 09:48:17 PM »
I went to the REI Memorial Day Sale to help someone look at sleeping bags, saw a TON of things I wanted but had no need for, and didn't buy anything!!

I walked in & out of REI unscathed today.  Went in for a freeze dried dinner; walked out with a freeze dried dinner.  Bought no $100+ self inflating air mattresses, no $50 bike jerseys (on clearance from $75!), no unneeded shells or base layers (also on clearance at heavily discounted, but still exorbitant prices). 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2015, 10:19:53 PM »
Had a buy nothing day -- these are few and far between with us so this makes me very happy:-)

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2015, 09:48:06 AM »
New flannel sheets. We like them for winter, but they wear out quicker than regular sheets, and our bottom sheet has a hole. The top sheet and pillow cases are faded but fine. I was going to buy a new set, but then decided to patch the bottom sheet with fabric from an old pillowcase. Sheets seems so overpriced, and who usually sees them besides you and your mate anyways?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »
Didn't buy a coffee even though I really, really wanted to, and could have EASILY felt like I 'deserved' it. Made myself a cup at home and added some homemade vanilla so I feel all fancy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!