Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 321008 times)

dpfromva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #350 on: July 06, 2016, 10:19:59 PM »
Made my own ice tea. Bring a saucepan of water to boil, throw in 4 teabags, turn it off, let it sit for awhile, pour some over ice, put the rest in an old juice bottle and stick it in the fridge, just like Mom used to do all summer long when I was a kid. Why have I not been doing this? Another new tactic -- THROW OUT all sales fliers and ignore all sales emails. Only if I first need something do I look for a deal. I know some of you do great at couponing, but I just end up buying stuff I wouldn't buy otherwise. Very susceptible to FOMAD -- fear of missing a deal. Just what those evil marketing geniuses are counting on. Likewise I understand the value of bulk buying at Costco, but let my membership lapse. Seems like I ended up spending $200 every time I went in there. There I'd be in the parking lot saying "What just happened? Why did I buy 8 lbs of pancake mix?" My grocery store game -- don't put anything in my cart that isn't on sale (not including processed junk, ignore those sale items). Figure out meals that I can make with the sale stuff, instead of planning specific meals and then buying groceries. OK, some of my meals are a little unusual, but healthy and cost-effective.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #351 on: July 07, 2016, 07:57:26 PM »
Did NOT buy frozen pizza at the grocery store. Going to have delicious chicken and bacon blue cheese salads instead. Healthier, cheaper, ultimately tastier.

So tempting though.

I'm glad I'm not the only frozen-pizza lover! I honestly prefer it to the 'real thing.' (Bring it on, haters!)

I bought two wicking T-shirts today... from Goodwill, for a total of $6. This is because I did not buy the seemingly good deal at Old Navy for approx. twice the price, and looked in Goodwill instead.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: July 08, 2016, 12:31:19 AM »
I went shopping with a friend yesterday. Unusual for me as I'm really not a fan of big shopping centres.

By the end of it I tried on but didn't buy five dresses, seven jackets and half a dozen tops.

I tried explaining to her that I walk into shops, look around and think, 'meh, I already have clothes'. She didn't really understand.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #353 on: July 08, 2016, 10:57:50 AM »
I was very tempted to go out for lunch. But I have dinner plans out already. So instead I made scrambled eggs on toast. Oh, the delicious simple pleasures!

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: July 08, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
A laptop computer. I'm recently separated and my husband kept our computer, but I've decided to hold off buying one since things are really tight right now. In the meanwhile, I'm sharing my mom's laptop when I can. It's so hard to do your banking without a computer these days.

frugal4lyfe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #355 on: July 16, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »
Went to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription... I always want a snack, candy, a soda when I'm there... OR am tempted by the million coupons the receipts print. But I ONLY bought my prescription..

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #356 on: July 16, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »
Did not go to the grocery store last week, and instead made do from 7/2-7/16. I did pick up 2x farm shares, which helped a lot, but we already paid that back in March or April. It also helped that two people were out of the house all week.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #357 on: July 16, 2016, 04:02:53 PM »
Didn't go to the thrift store with my husband when he went to drop off a dresser and a load of boxed up clothes and books. Really wanted to go so had to work hard to flex my Mustachian muscles.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #358 on: July 16, 2016, 05:37:57 PM »
Didn't go to the thrift store with my husband when he went to drop off a dresser and a load of boxed up clothes and books. Really wanted to go so had to work hard to flex my Mustachian muscles.

Me too! I was very tempted to go to Goodwill, but didn't.

Also resisted the strong urge to buy a KitchenAid stand mixer. I know it's coming. And soon. I'm almost at the point with baking and cooking where having one makes long-term financial sense.

But I'm not there yet. And being "mostly there" doesn't mean I'm allowed to buy the thing. :)

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #359 on: July 17, 2016, 12:14:40 PM »
A fancy OXO pepper grinder and tongs. We already have one of those McCormick "grinder with your pepper" things and a pair of tongs from the Goodwill. We made a meatball recipe that called for a lot of pepper (so my hands got tired of twisting the cheap grinder) and the tongs were hard to turn the meatballs with. I put them on my Amazon wishlist and then just  . . . didn't buy them! The meatballs came out perfectly, too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #360 on: July 17, 2016, 03:39:58 PM »
Been jonesing for coffee out. Resisted THREE different times when husband asked if we wanted to go this weekend. Normally he has the will power, not me, so this was a big deal for me!

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #361 on: July 17, 2016, 04:00:14 PM »
I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond to find an espresso tamper. The list of things I coulda-bought would be extensive. But in the end, I didn't even get the tamper. I got a 99 cent spice jar with a very smooth and sturdy lid the same diameter. That'll hold a couple days' worth of espresso and also serve to tamp the coffee!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #362 on: July 17, 2016, 05:05:25 PM »
Reading the grocery catalogue, saw an ad for amazing-looking strawberry ice-cream.

Did not buy because:
1. Did not go grocery shopping.
2. I'm in the middle of a self-induced ban on buying frozen items until we eat down the freezer ahead of a move.
3. I can't eat dairy. That's sort of the biggie.

But it did look really good!

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #363 on: July 17, 2016, 06:02:56 PM »
2. I'm in the middle of a self-induced ban on buying frozen items until we eat down the freezer ahead of a move.

Now I imagine you, Monsieur Mangetout style, chowing down on the actual freezer...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #364 on: July 17, 2016, 09:43:15 PM »

Now I imagine you, Monsieur Mangetout style, chowing down on the actual freezer...

It would make the move easier. One less appliance to shift...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #365 on: July 18, 2016, 03:07:36 AM »
Candy to make a tough day at the office a little easier.

I drank a lot of water avoiding the sweets!

eeho

• Stubble
    • Check out my MMM journal - Stubblefaced-aussie-girl-with-a-five-year-deadline-for-fire!
« Reply #366 on: July 18, 2016, 09:33:43 AM »
I usually go out for dinner once a week with friends before our choir rehearsal, but I've been on night shifts.

So today I met up with my friends but just got a water and had a muesli bar at rehearsal. I then heated up some leftovers I'd stored in the fridge at work. Total spent today = $0

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #367 on: July 18, 2016, 10:41:14 AM »
We've been in downtown Seattle for a few days acting very posh, but I did decide against buying scarves and fancy chocolates yesterday (got a free salted caramel while looking though).  I also asked about the nitro cold brew coffee at a coffee shop since it seems to be the new thing, and the guy gave me a free sample.  It was weird, and I didn't waste $5 to find out that I don't like it.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #368 on: July 22, 2016, 01:55:09 AM »
I'm heading to my parents' place on the train, and had to change trains. I was a bit peckish, but instead of spending $2+ on something from the convenience store at the station, I walked across the street to the fruit shop and bought a banana and a mandarin for the grand price of $0.35.

Healthier too.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Kronen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #369 on: July 22, 2016, 06:45:27 AM »
Today, I did not buy a speedometer for my commuting bicycle because I don't really need to know what speeds I Pokemon eggs....

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #370 on: July 22, 2016, 09:47:58 AM »
Today, I did not buy a speedometer for my commuting bicycle because I don't really need to know what speeds I Pokemon eggs....

Today I did not buy Lip Queen lipstick online for $30 + shipping. I'd like to say it was will power, but actually it's probably because I don't own a credit card and it's not available in my town :)

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #371 on: July 22, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »
Did not spend $3 on hummus because I made some at home instead.  And what I made tastes much better than the store bought stuff.  So win win.

Jupiter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #372 on: July 22, 2016, 05:31:53 PM »
Didn't buy a used xbox 360 and kinect + games ($175 AUD) for my sister's birthday because... well... Meh, I don't know, there are so many other things she can do in real life like going to the park rather than jumping around in front of the tv.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #373 on: July 23, 2016, 06:25:32 PM »
While I was on my way to the gym, I realized I had forgotten my water bottle. I did not buy a water bottle at the gym. I used the fountain instead

Crusader

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #374 on: July 23, 2016, 09:16:15 PM »
Eating leftovers instead of going out to eat.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #375 on: July 23, 2016, 10:35:48 PM »
While I was on my way to the gym, I realized I had forgotten my water bottle. I did not buy a water bottle at the gym. I used the fountain instead

I always use the fountain, between sets; for some reason, carrying a water bottle around the gym with me seems like a huge inconvenience (as opposed to, you know, those heavy weights I'm moving around all the time...)

Today I was tempted to get a late dinner while driving home, but ate food at home instead.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #376 on: July 23, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »
I did not take advantage of the accommodation offer I received by email from an airline reward program.

Save 40 per cent. Just $1350/night when you book two or more nights.

Sounds like a bargain, really.

ಠ_ಠ

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #377 on: July 26, 2016, 09:53:57 AM »
Did not buy the $4K murphy bed for the spare bedroom.  Having a kid move home means that we need to set up another bed for guests.  I'm now searching Kijiji/Craigslist for cheap options.

Did not buy the new workout gear I tried on - have more than enough at home.

Did not buy the $800 screen doors at the big box hardware store.  We need new ones, but the local hardware store has some for half the price.  Tried the charity building supply store first, of course, without luck.

Reduced area of new concrete needed for our front yard walkway/stair replacement project.  The patio under the tree will be DIY paving stones, not professionally done concrete.  Still spending money, but trying to get the most bang for our buck.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #378 on: July 26, 2016, 10:03:32 AM »
We did not buy another set of bumper plates, even though we got a 15% off coupon. At a minimum we want to wait until there is free shipping again, and there's no rush to add them to our home gym. What we have already is fine.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #379 on: July 26, 2016, 08:03:47 PM »
Anything! :)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #380 on: July 26, 2016, 09:33:18 PM »
Nuun electrolyte tablets. I noticed they were on sale while in the drugstore. I snatched them up, but then I remembered that I'd just bought perfectly serviceable potassium and magnesium pills. I don't need them in fizzy form, and the sale will come again.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #381 on: July 28, 2016, 12:41:35 PM »
I'm just getting rolling with the MMM way of being, but here's what I did today:

* made my own latte instead of paying seven bucks for it at the fancy place down the street

* canceled a bunch of subscriptions to various web services I don't actually need (previously auto-renewed). This will save me about $200/year.

Small steps, but something! 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #382 on: July 28, 2016, 01:16:34 PM »
Did not buy the $4K murphy bed for the spare bedroom.  Having a kid move home means that we need to set up another bed for guests.  I'm now searching Kijiji/Craigslist for cheap options.

The inflatable mattresses that sit a little higher are pretty nice and would stow away small when not needed.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: July 28, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »

The inflatable mattresses that sit a little higher are pretty nice and would stow away small when not needed.

I second this.  When I visit family I sleep on one that has a pump built into it to maintain pressure.  Very comfy.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #384 on: July 28, 2016, 06:34:23 PM »
Once again, I didn't buy anything today. I went out to eat, but my boss picked up the check. Very nice of him, especially as I had the crab! ;)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #385 on: August 01, 2016, 10:02:24 AM »
Lunch. Didn't have leftovers for today. Made a random "let's empty the fridge between two slices of bread" sandwich instead.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2016, 01:00:40 AM »
Souvenir tee shirts for my kids at the place we're vacationing at

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2016, 01:12:19 AM »
$240 worth of linen. (That's for a new doona cover, two pillow cases, and two Euro pillowcases. On sale.)

Still coveting it though.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #388 on: August 02, 2016, 03:58:04 PM »
Some car work. Mainly because they claimed not to know about the appointment I made over the phone. With the girl who was behind the desk when I walked in. After I'd rearranged work hours just for it. Sorry, guys, but you only get one chance to jerk me around like that.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #389 on: August 02, 2016, 04:43:36 PM »
Tea while out, for hubby, even though he was cold and really wanted it. Big kettle of water coming to a boil in the kitchen right now.

luciep

« Reply #390 on: August 07, 2016, 01:53:20 PM »
New bras!

I lost a bunch of weight (thanks to the Whole 30) in the past few months and my bras are too big around my chest. I thought about buying new ones. Then I saw my sewing machine. It took me 10 minutes to fix one bras and it fits perfectly now!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #391 on: August 07, 2016, 03:13:59 PM »
Staying out of stores today and shopping in my fridge, freezer and pantry!

Edit: Did go out later today to drop an old dresser at the thrift store and picked up two items for $8 that were both still in brand new packaging. One was a large NHL team pennant for my sons bday in November.

Also went to health food store and got 2x 10oz boxes of organic baby spinach for 99 cents a piece because they expire tomorrow. Having smoothies and spinach salad.

So not a fail, but just DID end up spending money today:-/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:41:57 PM by 1967mama »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #392 on: August 07, 2016, 07:23:03 PM »
Bought nothing, including desperately needed groceries. Tomorrow's not looking good for grocery shopping, either. Will at least stop at the dollar general for milk on the way home, though, as tomorrow I must drink black coffee, and I won't stand for it two days in a row.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #393 on: August 07, 2016, 07:55:16 PM »
Resisted the Starbucks call when I realized that I forgot to bring coffee out to the barn.

Didn't fill up gas on the way home - I have a 60c/gallon discount waiting for me at Fred Meyer, so might as well get the tank a little emptier before taking advantage of it.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #394 on: August 08, 2016, 09:52:46 AM »
Again, made dinner at home with a friend last night, but didn't have enough for leftovers for lunch. Made myself a tuna sandwich instead of going out. My entire office just emptied with everyone going to get something to eat. Kind of disappointed because I'd love a burrito (where they're headed), but I'd love to keep my 8$ more.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #395 on: August 10, 2016, 07:25:45 PM »
New bras!

I lost a bunch of weight (thanks to the Whole 30) in the past few months and my bras are too big around my chest. I thought about buying new ones. Then I saw my sewing machine. It took me 10 minutes to fix one bras and it fits perfectly now!

Thank you for the wonderful idea!

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #396 on: August 10, 2016, 07:31:26 PM »
I didn't buy diapers today for my son. Today is normally the day I do it once a month, but I get to push it back a week at least because he's potty training so we're using less and less. This will be a $100/month relief once we finally kick the habit! Sorry if this is TMI for the non-parents.

thoughtfullymark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Thoughtfully Free
« Reply #397 on: August 11, 2016, 10:46:38 AM »
Today the temptation came at lunch, all of the co-workers went out for lunch but I politely declined. I then went on to enjoy a PB&J sandwich and an orange.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #398 on: August 12, 2016, 06:26:02 AM »
I found a code to get 50% off a monogrammed Landsend kids backpack. They had preschool sizes and they were SO CUTE. We don't need one yet and if it turns out we should probably get one, I'm sure we can make due till next year's back to school sales. The coupon isn't good any more today, so thankfully the temptation is gone. Mostly. I don't want to pay the full $30, but still, it was really cute ....

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It's a new day, anything is possible.
« Reply #399 on: August 12, 2016, 09:46:02 AM »
What did I not buy today? I didn't buy into the idea that more stuff will make me happier. I also skipped out on the nice new cordless drill last night even though my current one is on its last legs. I will eventually get a new on when a good enough deal presents it self but I am don't have any big projects now so maybe I can hold out until the Christmas sales.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!