Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 319965 times)

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #300 on: May 03, 2016, 10:10:30 PM »
Everything!   Day 5 with zero spending...Obviously not including fixed living costs...but a great step for me.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: May 04, 2016, 04:01:47 AM »
Another expensive eyeshadow palette. 

prefixcactus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #302 on: May 05, 2016, 02:07:34 PM »
A pack of chips and all the other delicious-looking stuff at the gas station where I biked to see if they had any WD-40 (they didn't).
The first successful step in my quest for eliminating junk and non-homecooked food from my ration.

jda85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #303 on: May 05, 2016, 02:39:12 PM »
5lbs of gummy bears.  I really like gummy bears and I'm craving sugar.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #304 on: May 06, 2016, 05:39:16 PM »
A pack of chips and all the other delicious-looking stuff at the gas station where I biked to see if they had any WD-40 (they didn't).
The first successful step in my quest for eliminating junk and non-homecooked food from my ration.

awesome!  I love gas station chips - man, they are so near to where i live - a quick 5 minutes walk and i've got a bag in hand - good job resisting!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #305 on: May 09, 2016, 01:13:31 PM »
another gym membership.

Seriously, I have two friends who joined this fancy gym with a great pool for the kids. and it's "so cheap" they tell me, only $250 a month!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #306 on: May 09, 2016, 01:27:26 PM »
another gym membership.

Seriously, I have two friends who joined this fancy gym with a great pool for the kids. and it's "so cheap" they tell me, only $250 a month!

Wow. Might as well install your own pool at home for that price...

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #307 on: May 09, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »
A sofa from CL, it was a good price but still a lot of money and we do not need one more sofa. :)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #308 on: May 09, 2016, 05:56:11 PM »
Merrell sandals. I want them, I look at them, I put them in the online cart. I wait. I close the window. Repeat. Haven't bought them yet though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:19:02 PM by G-dog »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #309 on: May 09, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »
I did NOT buy soil, seeds, plants, pots, tomato cages, sheers, etc etc. In spite of having my beef share pickup be at a lovely local garden center.

Merrill sandals. I want them, I look at them, I put them in the online cart. I wait. I close the window. Repeat. Haven't bought them yet though.

I eventually broke down and bought mine last summer- found a pair on 6pm. Much cheaper than I found elsewhere. Not to be an enabler or anything... cough cough.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2016, 06:21:56 PM »
I did NOT buy soil, seeds, plants, pots, tomato cages, sheers, etc etc. In spite of having my beef share pickup be at a lovely local garden center.

Merrill sandals. I want them, I look at them, I put them in the online cart. I wait. I close the window. Repeat. Haven't bought them yet though.

I eventually broke down and bought mine last summer- found a pair on 6pm. Much cheaper than I found elsewhere. Not to be an enabler or anything... cough cough.

I haven't really found them on sale, and they are always $80-100 per pair. I never pay that much. But a friend really likes Merrells, they are cute and should be very comfortable. I wear the shit out of my shoes, so cost per use is reasonable to low, and I am rationalizing here..... Maybe.... Do you think they are worth the price? Or is it just marketing?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2016, 06:34:21 PM »

I haven't really found them on sale, and they are always $80-100 per pair. I never pay that much. But a friend really likes Merrells, they are cute and should be very comfortable. I wear the shit out of my shoes, so cost per use is reasonable to low, and I am rationalizing here..... Maybe.... Do you think they are worth the price? Or is it just marketing?

Oooh, I checked back, it looks like I ended up doing Amazon, not 6pm. Sorry for the confusion- 6pm is my usual. I bought a model that was technically discontinued, but really it was just renamed- but the old styles were a lot cheaper. Still expensive, but cheaper. I think I got mine for $50?

They've held up well so far. I really like Merrels in general, they are my trail running and nursing shoes. But then, I live close to a Merrel outlet, so that may make me a bit biased. (The tennis I've gotten at TJ Maxx and the outlet, both for ~$30-35). I personally wouldn't buy them for $100, but then, I wouldn't buy *any shoes* for that much.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: May 10, 2016, 01:21:46 PM »
I resisted the urge to get my eyebrows waxed, and instead plucked them myself. Not my favorite activity, but I saved $10+ tip. That money can be better spent later this week. I'm meeting my parents at a state park for a long weekend, and I told Mom that I'd rent two kayaks, tie them together, and take her for a spin around the lake. :)

John Doe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #313 on: May 12, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »
A $75 bottle of 2005 Cheateau de Beaucastel.   As a wine guy that was a tough one to pass up.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #314 on: May 12, 2016, 05:37:52 PM »
Did not go to my favorite chocolate shop and indulge in a few pricey pieces.

Maybe next week...

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #315 on: May 12, 2016, 05:45:13 PM »
I'm new to all this.  New to budgeting, to saying no to needless wants.

And so today I walked around not buying MANY THINGS.  There were so many things.  So many things I wanted to buy.  With the money in my pocket.  Oh my. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #316 on: May 12, 2016, 09:17:45 PM »
I'm new to all this.  New to budgeting, to saying no to needless wants.

And so today I walked around not buying MANY THINGS.  There were so many things.  So many things I wanted to buy.  With the money in my pocket.  Oh my.

Nice work!  It gets easier as you form the habit of keeping that cash in your wallet. 

Didn't buy Lara Bars while grocery shopping today.  They're too easy for me to eat in like 3 bites, even when I'm not really hungry.  Unfortunately I did buy beer and chocolate (which was on sale).

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: May 13, 2016, 06:59:43 AM »
I'm skipping lunch to leave early. Instead of getting something from the vending machine, I brought an apple and some cucumber slices.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #318 on: May 13, 2016, 07:21:24 AM »
Takeaway for tonight's family dinner (12 guests) - instead I made pizza and a coconut cake. Everyone liked the food and it cost me ~$20 in extra ingredients instead of $100+ for takeaway.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #319 on: May 15, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »
It's called a Fall Fog - it's 20oz of steamed milk with orange spice tea, cinnamon syrup, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg sprinkled on top.  It costs $7.

I have wanted one for so long.  Having good ol' orange pekoe at home instead.   

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #320 on: May 16, 2016, 08:38:11 AM »
Another expensive eyeshadow palette.

I haven't picked up the Lorac Pro yet.
I've been lusting for a month- I can't believe I've managed to not pick it up yet.  I have to return something to ulta- between the 12$ return- and the 3.50 coupon- it brings it below the 40$ mark- and magic 8 ball says i'm going to say fuck it.

Which is why I haven't returned the other palette yet.
MUST>NOT>BUY.

~Ari~

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #321 on: May 16, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »
Yesterday, my local grocery store had buns and canteloupe on sale, so I went and got some to have for lunches this week. As I put my items down on the counter for the cashier to ring up, the customer in front of me insisted that she pay for my items as well! It was so kind and generous, and it made my day - even though the total amount was under $5.00, it is so nice to see people paying in forward!! I wish there was someone behind me in the line so I could have continued the gesture, but I will just have to remember for next time :)

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #322 on: May 17, 2016, 09:22:19 AM »
A new lawn mower.
I bought & installed a new replacement gas tank and throttle cable.
Put a new knot the torn recoil rope.
Fed it some oil & gas, primed, pulled and miracles happened.
Spent less than forty bucks.
A replacement would be $300 or spend time to find a used one.
Happy Dance and cut grass looks great even if its mostly weeds.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #323 on: May 17, 2016, 09:25:52 AM »
Yesterday, my local grocery store had buns and canteloupe on sale, so I went and got some to have for lunches this week. As I put my items down on the counter for the cashier to ring up, the customer in front of me insisted that she pay for my items as well! It was so kind and generous, and it made my day - even though the total amount was under $5.00, it is so nice to see people paying in forward!! I wish there was someone behind me in the line so I could have continued the gesture, but I will just have to remember for next time :)

What a beautiful act of generosity and community building!  So glad you got to have that boost to your day, ~Ari~

snogirl, repairing own lawnmower seems like badassity - and then the happy dance and fresh cut grass?  extra awesomeness for the day.

jdh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #324 on: May 17, 2016, 07:01:22 PM »
I did not buy tickets to the rugby game. I can watch it for free on TV. Added benefit: the beer is better at home.

frugal4lyfe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #325 on: May 17, 2016, 08:47:22 PM »
I bought nothing today! Company ordered lunch for a lunchtime training which I was invited to but not required to attend. Grabbed a sandwich and got back to work instead! Then... working late and ate other free snacks from the break room for "dinner"

free work food =/= balanced diet :( ..... but FREE

Also! I did NOT stop at the store on my way to work for an energy drink! I KNEW I'd really want one in the afternoon knowing I would be SWAMPED today.. was so tempted to stop and buy it too... But I skipped it and powered through the day on adrenaline.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #326 on: May 18, 2016, 05:43:58 AM »
Postponed a haircut and nothing bought on Amazon today.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #327 on: May 18, 2016, 08:16:59 AM »
I left work late tonight, and was considering stopping to get dinner on the way home. I even walked to the restaurant, but as I arrived, I decided against it, and rode my bike home.

I then made dinner out of ingredients I already had at home. What's more, I've got enough for tomorrow night too.

I'll hang on to that $14 I think :)

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #328 on: May 18, 2016, 09:16:46 AM »
I didn't buy anything yesterday.  I'm going to start tracking how many buy nothing days I can accomplish in one month.

kfire20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #329 on: May 19, 2016, 06:28:44 AM »
I could have stopped for a sandwich on the way back from cycling to my swim yesterday but didn't. Opted for the grocery store instead for items on my list. I could have purchased a movie ticket yesterday but didn't as a promotional app. at the local movie theatre offered a first free ticket. I could have purchased popcorn and a drink at the movie but didn't. I think that's three things. Small victories!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: May 19, 2016, 06:47:34 AM »
Merrell sandals. I want them, I look at them, I put them in the online cart. I wait. I close the window. Repeat. Haven't bought them yet though.

Have you tried EBay? There are currently 7112 pair of Merrell sandals available.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #331 on: May 24, 2016, 08:33:02 AM »

Have you tried EBay? There are currently 7112 pair of Merrell sandals available.

I will check that. I have a 'phobia' of used shoes, but know that many items on EBay are new. I have never bought or sold anything on EBay. Tips on not getting screwed? (Info secure, getting what you think you ordered, excessive ancillary fees)

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #332 on: May 28, 2016, 04:05:15 PM »
Chai latte!  I almost went and bought some concentrate - because at least that's better than buying one latte for the same price.  But then remembered this recipe - which I find absolutely DEElicious.    https://www.facebook.com/GilbertLiz/posts/940433889372060:0

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #333 on: May 29, 2016, 06:31:54 PM »
a $23 t-shirt that said "Yes, I love my dog more than some people. Bite me". It took more restraint than one would expect. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #334 on: May 29, 2016, 08:12:51 PM »
Visiting family this weekend.  It has taken incredible amounts of will power to not buy a bag of potato chips and binge my stress away.  Held strong.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #335 on: June 05, 2016, 06:14:31 PM »
Concert tickets - Dinosaur Jr. is playing locally in September. I would love to see them, but my proverbial hair is on fire.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #336 on: June 05, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »
A drill. My brother (who lives a fifteen minute walk / five minute drive away) says we can borrow his as much as we like, on short notice, no problem, so we shouldn't bother buying our own. It made me really glad I'd told him we were going drill shopping!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #337 on: June 05, 2016, 08:03:30 PM »
A 7 inch springform pan to make cheesecake in my instant pot (I have an 8 inch one I got for $3 that works for the oven and I havent even used it yet) and a 3qt mesh strainer basket to strain the yogurt I make in the instant pot (I have a small one that works - just have to strain my yogurt in batches). I even had them in my Amazon shopping cart and almost checked out. I gave DH the heads up and he reminded me about our frugal goals. *sigh* I know he's right but I'm still sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #338 on: June 05, 2016, 10:37:08 PM »
I successfully avoided going to the pub x2 today, and convinced my DH we shouldn't either.  Phew!  First, we were AT our favorite place (far away that we don't get to often) and it was so busy we grabbed a snack somewhere else instead, and I managed to steer him away from the "just go for a beer afterwards" idea.  Then, when we got home, I managed to fend off his hungry suggestion that we go to the pub for dinner, and instead have drinks, a snack at home and then I would make a yummy dinner. 

It wasn't easy--it was 35C degrees here today and nothing would have felt better to him than sitting on the pub's oceanside patio with a cold one.  But I kept my eyes on the prize and he was happy with how dinner turned out. (smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with fried potatoes and a plate of raw veg.  We managed. ;) )  Normally I would totally have caved.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #339 on: June 06, 2016, 02:01:57 PM »
Surgery went badly from a dental perspective but sedation wouldn't have changed it so I stand by the choice. I soaked up a lot of novocaine and meditated on the marvels of antibiotics and local anesthetics to distract from the noise and smell for 90 minutes. Think it was a $280 or so difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I missed this LOL- for "major" surgery- I get the lidocaine (they don't use novacaine any more) - and I just have 2 beers directly before I go in.
Way cheaper than the gas. And besides- drinking beer with breakfast is FUN!

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: June 06, 2016, 07:30:09 PM »
Did not buy a bus ticket.  I walked instead.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #341 on: June 07, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »
Curtains, curtain rod and gym clothes at Ross.  Can't really take credit though; there was a massive screw-up with the transaction in front of me, they called another cashier, who was apparently on break, then when someone else opened a register, she took the people behind me.  I waited a couple more minutes hoping they'd fix the snafu, then they told me to go get in the line, that was about 5 people long at that point.  I said no thanks, need to get back to work, and walked out. 

Still need curtains though.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #342 on: June 07, 2016, 11:41:12 PM »
Didn't buy groceries. Found enough stuff in my fridge and pantry to make lovely meals. Just needed a smudge of creativity!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #343 on: June 08, 2016, 06:53:13 PM »
Lunch out at the office.  Almost failed to pack a lunch, but at the last minute remembered emergency plan of quesadilla.

Upgrayed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #344 on: June 29, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »
Not today, but a summary of things I didn't buy recently:
  • 2006 Lotus Elise: Cool car and I've always wanted one. They're holding their value very well and seem to be pretty reliable, so it seemed like it would be a great way to have a fun car and not lose a bunch of money in depreciation, maybe even see a bit of appreciation along the way. Turns out that it's a pain in the ass to get in and out of, and the money it would cost to insure for a low yearly mileage limit was way more than was comfortable. No thanks.
  • 2013 Honda Fit: I've always liked the Fit, but when I was looking to buy one a number of years a go, there was basically zero stock of manuals due to the Fukushima earthquake. Fast foward to current times, I test drove it twice on separate days, even though it was purple (technically Midnight Plum). It was a fun, slow car, but it would cost $3-4k after selling my unmustashian BMW 3 series (which was bought used after the previous owner took the hit of 65% depreciation). Besides the purchase cost, running the monthly numbers (gas, insurance, maintenance) revealed that it would take anywhere from 5 to 7 years to payback that purchase. I'd save more money in the short term by riding my bike to work more often. I know it would be the right decision long term, but this particular car wasn't the right Fit (*rimshot*).
  • Art festival stuff: We did buy a few pieces that the wife wanted for the house, but I passed on anything I was interested in. It was fun to look at everything, though.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #345 on: June 29, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
TWSBI Eco fountain pen. I've had it in my cart for a few days, I want a fine nib with black ink for work (I already have a medium nib for play).

Kill-A-Watt. Tells you on a readout, how much power things draw in your house. Good to detect vampire/phantom power suckers.

Several investing/finance/economics books. Reading what I already have first.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #346 on: June 29, 2016, 01:27:24 PM »
Went to the pharmacy to buy some essentials, and I really wanted candy (lunch left a bad taste in my mouth).  I had the gummy bears IN MY HAND and I put them down before I got to the cash.

21runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #347 on: July 02, 2016, 08:03:04 AM »
I was going to go to the theatre to see a movie and backed out at the last minute. ~$12 saved!! It adds up...

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #348 on: July 04, 2016, 02:35:02 PM »
Yesterday, I went to a convention with my wife and I didn't buy lunch there. I brought it with me from home instead. Today, I am not buying anything at all.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #349 on: July 04, 2016, 03:42:46 PM »
Did NOT buy frozen pizza at the grocery store. Going to have delicious chicken and bacon blue cheese salads instead. Healthier, cheaper, ultimately tastier.

So tempting though.