Author Topic: what did you NOT buy today?  (Read 320072 times)

firefoxes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: what did you NOT buy today?
« Reply #750 on: February 24, 2021, 02:33:49 PM »
A shelf unit for my seedlings. Instead my couple weeks of trolling craigslist on my days off worked out and I just brought home a perfect free shelf. Saved me the $35 I was going to spend at IKEA (after realizing in horror at the lovely garden supply store that a basic unit was $109.99)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #751 on: February 26, 2021, 05:14:41 PM »
A train ride. I went out for a long bike/birding ride and was pretty tired, so I thought I would take the (usually empty) commuter train home. But I saw one just pulling out as I got near the station, so instead of waiting half an hour for the next one, I just rode back home. Now my butt is sore, but I got more exercise and I'm $3.70 richer.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #752 on: March 06, 2021, 07:46:18 AM »
A ski jacket. I've had a way-too-big jacket for over 15 years, and I'm moving, so I'm tossing or donating it. I looked for top brands on sale (I could have "saved" over $500 on one!) and used ones on Poshmark and Patagonia. Then I saw some new off-brand jackets for less than $70 on Amazon, and decided they will still be there in the fall. That's one fewer item I have to move.

Frizzle42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #753 on: March 10, 2021, 06:57:04 PM »
A mcdonald's Shamrock shake. Coworkers were gushing about them, and I was tempted to stop on the way home from work to get one. (even though I know they're not even that good.) Instead I went home and had a glass of milk with a shot of mint-chocolate irish cream from Aldi's that sits in the back of the fridge for days like this.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #754 on: March 10, 2021, 07:01:01 PM »
I did not buy junk food today.  Was feeling a binge coming on but totally avoided it!  Feeling good!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #755 on: March 11, 2021, 04:44:59 PM »
A vacation. 

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #756 on: April 01, 2021, 03:49:41 AM »
More stainless steel clothes pegs. I have a set which are fantastic (and were bloody expensive) to supplement my plastic pegs, which keep breaking. I will hold off till after Easter, as I am trying not to spend any money over the Easter Break (4 days).

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #757 on: April 04, 2021, 04:57:08 AM »
My friend who has lost 40+ pounds this year and I went to the thrift store Sat afternoon and I only purchased 2 things for $12.70:  a pair of bright fluorescent yellow Capri leggings and a bright marigold yellow long sleeve T-shirt. Yellow is my favorite color.

I did NOT buy a bag and I did NOT buy any work dresses because my last couple from this particular thrift shop did not fit right. I did NOT buy jeans. I have plenty of clothes! 

I did help spot brand new with tags stuff for my friend. She is newer to thrifting and this concept of brand new stuff for cheap really excites her.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #758 on: April 29, 2021, 08:22:53 AM »
lunch yesterday.

We had perfectly good leftovers in the fridge while I was working from home, but I was craving something hot/different. Instead I just whipped something up with the leftovers we had.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #759 on: April 29, 2021, 12:03:04 PM »
Lunch! I froze a bunch of burritos for convenience meals.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #760 on: May 12, 2021, 12:44:33 AM »
Indoor plants. I went to Bunnings with a friend and walked out with nothing but a newfound resolve to look after the ones I already have, by fertilising and dividing ones that have outgrown their containers. Free plants rule.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #761 on: May 29, 2021, 10:02:48 AM »
We had an unfortunate dinner incident, where our teen forgot to remove a pizza from the oven (our timer beeps a few times, & then shuts off). In order to prevent future such incidents, I was planning to buy a timer that has to be manually shut off to stop beeping. I was all set to place an online order, but remembered we have a fridge magnet timer (no idea where it came from) in the very back of the fridge. Tested it, it works perfectly for our needs. Purchase avoided!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #762 on: June 10, 2021, 09:53:12 AM »
Attempting to warranty a hammock vs. the easier route of just buying a new one (had a 'failed' hammock experience on a recent trip). I do love me a good hammock swing..

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #763 on: June 18, 2021, 09:59:55 AM »
Regarding the last post--I heard from the company and they are replacing my hammock free of cost :)

stacheasaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #764 on: June 18, 2021, 12:12:43 PM »
didn't buy a '99 ram 1500.  want an older truck as a toy (facepunches acceptable) but haven't found one in good enough shape.  Went on a bike ride after with some friends, much better smile/$ ratio

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #765 on: June 18, 2021, 12:18:27 PM »
A birthday present for my friend.

Noticed a piece of a plant I have that they like has broken off. Stuck it to root in a glass of water and when it rooted, I put it in a spare pot I have that will look nice in their kitchen.

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #766 on: June 24, 2021, 05:07:12 AM »
A new wedding band. My current one was $10 from Target and being cheap, has all the coloring worn off.  I've been eyeing a $56 moissanite ring on Amazon, but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #767 on: July 16, 2021, 11:09:45 PM »
A new shower head.  I disassembled the old one completely and soaked everything in vinegar and it works, and shines, like new. 

Also, I put in a request for a refund for my trace-of-Benzene Neutrogena spray sunscreens directly with the company and will not buy any new to replace them.  Instead I will dig back into the closet to use up the lotions I already have. 

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #768 on: July 18, 2021, 08:16:10 PM »
Also, I put in a request for a refund for my trace-of-Benzene Neutrogena spray sunscreens directly with the company and will not buy any new to replace them.  Instead I will dig back into the closet to use up the lotions I already have.
Don't forget to check expiration dates - expired sunscreen doesn't work nearly as well.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #769 on: July 21, 2021, 12:42:37 PM »
Today I did not buy overpriced beer. I bought underpriced (on sale) beer.  I got a 30-pack of American style pilsener
for $6.97 plus tax. OMG! Can u believe it? That's 24 cents per can before tax!  12 ounce cans. Tastes great.

ExExpress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #770 on: July 22, 2021, 06:03:25 PM »
A state park pass.  My library offers one week checkouts of passes so saved at least $21 over daily admissions.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #771 on: August 26, 2021, 11:05:08 PM »
I did not buy a new bike tire tube because my kids helped me figure out what I was doing wrong with our bike pump and now the tires are not flat anymore, whoo-hoo!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #772 on: August 31, 2021, 06:38:48 PM »
Books.
I made online requests for my library to purchase 10 new release books. And I requested 10 inter-library loans for older, more obscure titles, as ILLs are now free on my library system!

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #773 on: September 07, 2021, 03:53:19 PM »
I did not buy anything during all the Labor Day weekend "sales". I put Darn Tough socks in my REI cart, but decided to "use up" my old socks first. I closed the tab and walked away from the computer.

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
« Reply #774 on: September 09, 2021, 05:43:00 AM »
I did not buy anything during all the Labor Day weekend "sales".

There were Labor Day weekend sales?

I guess there were. Didn't quite register on me. I suppose I'm fairly well insulated from a lot of consumery messaging.

As for what I didn't buy, it was anything additional for a 1970s-themed Halloween party coming up next month. Nothing in my outfit is genuine 70s -- the actual 70s pieces I have didn't pop as well as what I'm going with -- but the ensemble assembled from my existing closet gives a good enough funky impression. (Yay corduroy.)

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
« Reply #775 on: September 09, 2021, 06:09:09 AM »
Oh, and some refill items at Target that I do want but don't need quiiite yet. They're in my cart. :P

One item will replace an almost-used-up sunscreen skin care product. I hadn't decided on what I would replace it with and didn't want to spend as much either. Then this new product showed up -- at half the cost (well, 52% less actually). Problem solved.

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #776 on: December 29, 2021, 10:08:33 PM »
Almost bought three books at Half Priced Books. Put them back and went to the library instead. Found all three of them. Saved $10.

ca-rn

• Stubble
« Reply #777 on: December 31, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »
I didn't buy a merino wool buff and balacava.

I've been wanting one since its been cold but realized a long buff can be folded into a balacava- 2 in 1!!!

So I sewed one up(!) with a stashed lightweight merino wool jersey.  I didn't have the special jersey ballpoint needle but it sewed up nicely with no skipped stitches. 

Its a bit too tight to make a balacava but so comfy and warm as a buff.  Will sew another but slightly wider!  And plan to sew up some merino wool camisole/tanks- those things are pricey!!! 

ExExpress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #778 on: February 03, 2022, 07:32:03 PM »
Netflix renewal. I got the price hike notification and finished up what was on my to do list before I got charged again. I plan on replacing it with the DVDs in my closet that haven't seen use in years and then downsizing those. I plan on strategically doing 2-3 months of Netflix this year to binge the exclusive content.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #779 on: February 04, 2022, 12:39:03 PM »
Briefly considered going to Fire House subs for lunch but instead ate leftovers from Wednesday night: baked chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and a glass of water.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #780 on: February 10, 2023, 07:07:52 PM »
I just joined a gym, so in the water bottle section of the discount store, I contemplated my preferred brand of bottle with superhero themes. Didn't really like most of them, but finally put the least objectionable one in my cart.

As I continued shopping, I realized that the bottle would not make me as happy as the one I already have (which has a better superhero logo), and I don't need another water bottle in the first place!

$7.99 was a good price for that bottle. However, I got to spend $0.00 and am just as happy and prepared for the gym as before.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #781 on: February 11, 2023, 02:04:58 PM »
Our Wifi Access Point in the one end of the house died the other day.  Almost bought a mesh wifi system today, but we've been running OK off of the one remaining AP so decided not to waste $250 just to have a "perfect" connection everywhere when we already have "good enough".

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #782 on: February 11, 2023, 02:25:37 PM »
Road trippn' home from a gloriously sunny week in SoCal. Stopped at Costco in Lancaster gas up. I noticed the Wendy's was closer than the warehouse, so I used their bathrooms without buying anything. Should I not have done that?

Back in the car, we feasted on yummy deli-style sandwiches I made before we hit the road this morning.

Bonus: listening to free YouTube music. Mr. Dicey's Favorite Artist just dropped a new album last week and we're listening to the whole thing absolutely free. How do they do that? My previous self spent (relative) crap-tons of money on music, film, and developing. Now that stuff can be had free. Mind blowing.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #783 on: February 16, 2023, 02:57:46 PM »
I refrained from ordering an All-Clad 12" D3 Frying Pan with Lid for $129.  I want it so bad though lol. I have to wait a year because it's not a necessity.  Doing a $500 discretionary spend challenge for an entire year and that pan alone would eat a big chunk out of it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #784 on: February 16, 2023, 09:25:24 PM »
A cookie.

Contemplated walking to the store to buy one.. Decided to bake with what I have (since I'm doing a pantry challenge anyhow. Apple Butter Cookies for the win--double bonus points since I was able to use up apple butter and some coconut flour)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #785 on: February 17, 2023, 10:32:13 AM »
Road trippn' home from a gloriously sunny week in SoCal. Stopped at Costco in Lancaster gas up. I noticed the Wendy's was closer than the warehouse, so I used their bathrooms without buying anything. Should I not have done that?

Back in the car, we feasted on yummy deli-style sandwiches I made before we hit the road this morning.

Bonus: listening to free YouTube music. Mr. Dicey's Favorite Artist just dropped a new album last week and we're listening to the whole thing absolutely free. How do they do that? My previous self spent (relative) crap-tons of money on music, film, and developing. Now that stuff can be had free. Mind blowing.

There haven't been many sunny days in SoCal lately, you must have hit that just right.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #786 on: February 17, 2023, 02:33:42 PM »

There haven't been many sunny days in SoCal lately, you must have hit that just right.
There's SoCal, and then there's the Desert ;-)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #787 on: February 17, 2023, 06:26:23 PM »
No coffee shop purchase today. I have the supplies at home, and I produce a more reliably tasty beverage than Starbucks does.

Besides, I didn't have time on my lunch break, and will meet a friend for social time in a hopefully better coffee shop tomorrow.

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #788 on: February 18, 2023, 11:11:16 PM »
I thought I needed to buy pots to start more seeds in my greenhouse and almost went to Lowes. Then I remembered I had 24 jiffy starters in the garage and I also have plastic cups. Silly. Also I almost went to the grocery store tonight because I use  frozen bananas in my morning smoothie and ran out. But I had 4 apples on hand so I cut those up and froze them for tomorrow. So I did not buy anything today in fact had a free pizza lunch in exchange for volunteer garbage clean up in the riverbed which I love to do anyhow.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #789 on: February 19, 2023, 09:42:54 AM »
This was yesterday, but I'm counting it. We went to a party where I needed to bring an appetizer. I made one from ingredients I had on hand, from a recipe shared by @Sailor Sam. I made a double batch, so I will whip some more up for home consumption. I also won $10 at the party.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #790 on: February 19, 2023, 06:04:29 PM »
A bottle of shampoo. I was already in the checkout line and realized I did not need this particular purchase. I got out of line, returned the bottle to the shelf, and bought only the book I'm going to share with my dad.

While I was running these errands, I had a real craving for a hamburger. I came home and made a grilled cheese instead.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #791 on: February 19, 2023, 06:25:29 PM »
I bought nada. Zlilch. Nuthin.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #792 on: February 28, 2023, 01:08:49 PM »
a dryer.  Mine has been on the fritz for a year.  DH and I have taken it apart and fixed it 3 times.  It is at least 10 years old (came with the house).  I looked online at prices for a replacement and then decided to keep doing what I have been doing all along....drying everything on the line. 

I realize line drying is a perfect option.  The clothes last longer, less electricity consumption, less environmental impact, etc.  The thing is....we plan to move in a couple of years.  I do NOT want to buy a new dryer just to give it to the next owner.  I think newer appliances are a selling point, but a dryer is required as part and parcel to the sale of a home. So, I remain conflicted.  And at least for today, did not buy a dryer!

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #793 on: February 28, 2023, 03:31:12 PM »
A washer.

13 years old now. I fixed the plastic drum that was leaking, the drain pump, the circuit board, cleaned the drain pump filter multiple times, and yesterday cleaned the water intake screens to fix a low pressure error code.

We are a family of six so the washer is beat to shit but...it still works!

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #794 on: March 04, 2023, 10:29:54 AM »
Stopped at my local grocery co-op for bagels before breakfast, somehow walked out without the amazing looking croissant!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #795 on: March 05, 2023, 07:43:32 PM »
I do NOT want to buy a new dryer just to give it to the next owner.  I think newer appliances are a selling point, but a dryer is required as part and parcel to the sale of a home. So, I remain conflicted.  And at least for today, did not buy a dryer!

Interesting. I have never bought or sold a home that included a washer & dryer. In my area, the house would generally come with a stove and dishwasher, maybe a refrigerator (maybe not), and a microwave if it's built-in. But it's bring your own washer & dryer. Must be a geographical thing.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #796 on: March 06, 2023, 05:09:29 AM »
After seeing how much my fancy drugs from CVS will cost, I emptied my online shopping cart from Walmart and EBay!  Even with good health insurance, prescriptions are very expensive.  $900+ for a 70 days supply.  No coupons will help. 

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #797 on: March 06, 2023, 02:13:38 PM »
I do NOT want to buy a new dryer just to give it to the next owner.  I think newer appliances are a selling point, but a dryer is required as part and parcel to the sale of a home. So, I remain conflicted.  And at least for today, did not buy a dryer!

Interesting. I have never bought or sold a home that included a washer & dryer. In my area, the house would generally come with a stove and dishwasher, maybe a refrigerator (maybe not), and a microwave if it's built-in. But it's bring your own washer & dryer. Must be a geographical thing.

Sorry... I missed a word in there.  It should have read "but a dryner is NOT required as part and parcel to the sale"....
Thanks for the pickup!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #798 on: March 06, 2023, 04:43:28 PM »

Definitely geographical. In my area, it is OK to sell a house without any appliances...however, need to state "appliances convey" or "do not convey".

Last night I didn't buy a substitute grocery item when my normal one was sold out. I haven't tried the substitute, but didn't need the original item anyway, just "stocking up".

Also didn't buy a fancy coffee shop drink, since they were also sold out of a key ingredient, lol. Thank you, supply chain disruptions.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #799 on: March 06, 2023, 06:48:23 PM »
a chimenea.  We decided to make our firepit work.