Author Topic: What's the craziest thing you've done in the name of frugality?  (Read 84911 times)

meatgrinder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's the craziest thing you've done in the name of frugality?
« Reply #350 on: April 03, 2018, 02:48:55 PM »
Omg I would not pull out my own IUD. I had one partially fall out once and I went back to the doctor to get it removed. Luckily it was still in the "warranty" period so they replaced it for free.
My crazy frugal stuff probably isn't that crazy on here, but my friends think it is. I bike over an hour each way to avoid paying for bus fare (I don't own a car either) and actually preferred biking since I got some exercise too. One time I carried a queen bed frame home from Ikea on the bus and metro to avoid paying for delivery (my partner helped). I try to trade instead of buying new for whatever I can, I figure I've already saved hundreds doing that. I have never paid bank fees or credit card interest in my life, I always research how to get free accounts and stick within the required limits of transactions/balance minimums. I couchsurf instead of paying for accommodations, and got a couchsurfer to stay at my place and take care of my cat while I was on vacation. That one really scared my mom, but he was super nice and didn't steal anything. I've slept in an airport overnight instead of paying for a hotel for 10 hours. I also wash ziplocs and try to use cloth instead of paper towel, except for really gross stuff.

That's bad ass. I really like www.sleepinginairports.net when planning an overnight airport stay.  When I was dating, I would give girls seeds instead of flowers.

PoutineLover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #351 on: April 03, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »
Omg I would not pull out my own IUD. I had one partially fall out once and I went back to the doctor to get it removed. Luckily it was still in the "warranty" period so they replaced it for free.
My crazy frugal stuff probably isn't that crazy on here, but my friends think it is. I bike over an hour each way to avoid paying for bus fare (I don't own a car either) and actually preferred biking since I got some exercise too. One time I carried a queen bed frame home from Ikea on the bus and metro to avoid paying for delivery (my partner helped). I try to trade instead of buying new for whatever I can, I figure I've already saved hundreds doing that. I have never paid bank fees or credit card interest in my life, I always research how to get free accounts and stick within the required limits of transactions/balance minimums. I couchsurf instead of paying for accommodations, and got a couchsurfer to stay at my place and take care of my cat while I was on vacation. That one really scared my mom, but he was super nice and didn't steal anything. I've slept in an airport overnight instead of paying for a hotel for 10 hours. I also wash ziplocs and try to use cloth instead of paper towel, except for really gross stuff.

That's bad ass. I really like www.sleepinginairports.net when planning an overnight airport stay.  When I was dating, I would give girls seeds instead of flowers.
That site is pretty cool, wish I had known about it back then. If I need another layover like that, I know where to look.
I would actually really like getting seeds. I grow lots of plants so I prefer potted plants to cut flowers. I'm always trying to sprout food from scraps like lettuce, avocados and celery.
Reading more of this thread just reminded me of some other crazy frugal stuff I've done. Transported large furniture several kilometers on the back of my bike. Got some weird looks for that. Picked up furniture/books/paintings/large animal skulls off the sidewalk. Sometimes picked up stuff, then traded it for stuff I needed, even better. Rolled 60 bucks worth of nasty grease covered change a previous tenant left behind.
My Journal: It's all gravy
Tangerine Referral Code (we each get $50!): 49886083S1

meatgrinder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #352 on: April 04, 2018, 01:34:02 PM »
I would also drive backwards through the McDonald's drive-through so they would have to pay.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #353 on: April 06, 2018, 08:52:43 PM »
I would also drive backwards through the McDonald's drive-through so they would have to pay.
:)

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #354 on: April 06, 2018, 08:59:50 PM »
I've done a few, but two that stand out

-driving through the USA & Mexico (from Canada): never getting a hotel, just shift driving and sometimes sleeping in the back of a truck (there were a few of us so the driver slept up front, I--a young female, slept in the back with bags, and my friend, a young dude, slept UNDER the truck). We are so lucky nothing happened, we definitely got scoped out, I probably didn't sleep so well. This was about 15 years ago.

-I moved to a very HCOL area, had student loads debts to pay so I took a position cleaning in exchange for rent (in a dysfunctional house). But the room they offered wasn't really a room--it was the broiler room in the basement. I tried to be optimistic about it but after some animal was scurrying around down there with me,  a friend (who had witnessed several of my extreme money saving tactics and applauded only some of them) reminded me that even though I *could* do something, didn't mean that I had to.

I moved out and paid the debt off more slowly but with mental health in a better place.