Author Topic: What's the craziest thing you've done in the name of frugality?  (Read 93939 times)

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the craziest thing you've done in the name of frugality?
« Reply #350 on: November 10, 2018, 11:44:03 PM »
@ElizaStache, I love your list. I'm a champion plastic bag and foil washer, but I did not think you could wash parchment paper. Good to know.
Also, the bag holder story made me lol.

Hey, FWIW, I find if I buy good quality freezer weight plastic bags, those suckers last forever.

I bought silicone baking pads which I use instead of parchment paper.  You can scrub them and reuse them after.
Thanks for the tip. I bought some at Costco last month, right before they went on sale. I know Costco will do an adjustment, I just have to remember to do it.

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #351 on: November 16, 2018, 08:54:07 AM »
This isn't the craziest but never the less a great deal. I went to buy two shovels today at Home Depot and with Tax they came to exactly $50.01.  well if you took two minutes to get a charge card that I will just tear up it was 50$ off so I owe a penny.  So that one was worth opening, at least two me.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #352 on: November 17, 2018, 08:06:25 AM »
This isn't the craziest but never the less a great deal. I went to buy two shovels today at Home Depot and with Tax they came to exactly $50.01.  well if you took two minutes to get a charge card that I will just tear up it was 50$ off so I owe a penny.  So that one was worth opening, at least two me.

If you want to open CC accounts for money, I would start with the Chase Sapphire Preferred. The signup bonus cashes out to $500. Admittedly you do need to come up with $4k in spend - we originally did that with (most of) the annual property tax payment.

twistedfirestarter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #353 on: November 18, 2018, 01:36:37 AM »
I spent over an hour in the cold and dark breaking up pallets for our wood burner, it was mainly helping a friend out who wanted them cleared away but can’t complain about free fuel.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #354 on: November 20, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »
Drive the same vehicle I bought in college.   I'm almost 50 now.

I did the same, but kept it until age 51, then sold to our mechanic.  Was a Jeep Cherokee with over 300K miles.  We have other jeeps with over 200K on them now.