Author Topic: Well damn, I'm a millionaire.  (Read 31928 times)

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
Well damn, I'm a millionaire.
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:02:33 PM »
It appears this raging stock market has been blasting people right past a lot of milestones lately, and I'm happily caught in that wave too.

My net worth passed one million (in USD) today. $1,002,466.86 to be exact, according to Quicken. Yeah.

Of course, it's actually not anywhere as exact as the precision on that number implies. That number includes the value of my home, which I entered at its purchase price in 2002, and have never adjusted since then. Currently the house is worth something less than that purchase price, so that would drop me under a million. On the other hand, I was also recently offered  (but did not take) a lump-sum payout from a small pension I have, and that number might put me back over a million. So it all sort of evens out, and when I add in the fact that I have $760k in assets whose measurable value fluctuates daily by thousands of dollars, it's kind of silly to demarcate the not-millionaire/millionaire boundary with anything more precise than a giant fuzzy cloud.

But things like this must be marked, dammit! So this is my semi-arbitrary way of collapsing that giant fuzzy cloud into a sharp line. And hey, it's fun to see that Quicken doesn't have a bug that prevents it from handling 7-digit numbers!

For reference, I'm 36 years old, unmarried, no kids, and have been working as a semiconductor engineer for the past 15 years. All of my wealth-building has come from saved wages and stock/bond return, the vast majority via index funds. So no crazy real-estate deals, inheritances, or selling my hot sexy body; I guess that makes me your classic Millionaire Next Door, and also a decent MMM clone.

I started tracking my expenses and thinking about early retirement around 9 years ago. My net worth then was around $180k, and while I could see a clear path to $1 million, it sure seemed a long way out there. But then you go and live a great fucking life, checking in from time to time, and suddenly 9 years have passed like nothing, and holy shit, I'm a millionaire! So to anyone out there whose FI-point seems impossibly distant, don't be discouraged; time really does end up flying (especially when seen in the rearview mirror), so if you've got that savings rate locked in, just sit back and let time do its magical thing to your money.

An important warning for you market-timers though. The last milestone like this that I noticed was $500k. The day was October 12, 2007. The next day, the S&P 500 dropped from its all-time high, bringing me back under $500k, and the index would not revisit that pinnacle at any time over the next 5 years. Since I was lucky enough to still be receiving income, my net worth didn't suffer for quite as long, but I still had to wait more than two years for my second day as a half-millionaire!

So I almost certainly just called the top of this thing.  Fuck.  Sorry!  :-)

(of course the positive takeaway is that after that second day as a half-millionaire, it took me less than 4 years to double it. Whoa.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:09:43 PM by skyrefuge »

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
Re: Well damn, I'm a millionaire.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 09:13:39 PM »
Enjoyed reading that, well done!

pac_NW

• Stubble
  • Have the stamina to work on it until it's right
    • Take Next Steps
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:17:30 PM »
Excellent!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »
Cool, are you close to FI?  It sounds like your expenses are low if you've been saving wildly.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Good for you!  I was also pleasantly surprised to see my portfolio up 1.5% today, over the last time I looked (one day last week).

It makes one feel richer, indeed.

Congrats on the milestone~

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
Cool, are you close to FI?  It sounds like your expenses are low if you've been saving wildly.

Yeah, my inflation-adjusted expenses over the last 9 years have averaged something like $22k, which would result in a paltry 2.8% withdrawal rate from my (non-housing) stash. But two factors combine to prevent me from loudly declaring FI:

1) Much of my net-worth is due to the huge market run-up over the last year. A year ago my WR would have been 3.8% on the same expenses, which is awfully close to 4%, which would be fine after a market crash, but a bit more iffy after a multi-year run-up like this. And it would seem quite easy to give back all those gains of the last year.

2) After 9 years of convincing myself I can happily live on $22k for the rest of my life, I recently acquired a girlfriend, ending more than a decade of single-dom. That's a pretty major life-change so I need more time to figure out how that will affect my expenses going forward.

Alone, neither of those factors would be enough to make me shy away from a declaration, but together they turn me into a big quivering wuss.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:42:07 PM by skyrefuge »

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 09:40:47 PM »
Hearty congratulations!

Your story especially resonated with me because I'm 28, $175k in net worth, engineer, Chicago, and started tracking my expenses/thinking about early retirement this year. I'm also not into crazy deals, so your success with mostly indexing is encouraging.

What was your savings rate? Will 60% get me there?

Go run through the streets or something, millionaire!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:45:07 PM by Reepekg »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:13 PM »

Yeah, my inflation-adjusted expenses over the last 9 years have averaged something like $22k, which would result in a paltry 2.8% withdrawal rate from my (non-housing) stash. But two factors combine to prevent me from loudly declaring FI:

1) Much of my net-worth is due to the huge market run-up over the last year. A year ago my WR would have been 3.8% on the same expenses, which is awfully close to 4%, which would be fine after a market crash, but a bit more iffy after a multi-year run-up like this. And it would seem quite easy to give back all those gains of the last year.

2) After 9 years of convincing myself I can happily live on $22k for the rest of my life, I recently acquired a girlfriend, ending more than a decade of single-dom. That's a pretty major life-change so I need more time to figure out how that will affect my expenses going forward.

Alone, neither of those factors would be enough to make me shy away from a declaration, but together they turn me into a big quivering wuss.

Go ahead and declare FI -- you've earned it!  I'm not saying you've got to quit your job or anything, but you've made it fo sho.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 10:33:49 PM »
Congrats.  The members on the E-R.org forums frequently mention how they became a millionaire a number of times due to fluxuations.  :)

That's a pretty awesome milestone, and 500k in that amount of time* is pretty good.

(You say October 07 to now, which is almost six years, but later you mention it doubling in under 4, so not quite clear on that timeframe, but either way, well done.)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »
(You say October 07 to now, which is almost six years, but later you mention it doubling in under 4, so not quite clear on that timeframe, but either way, well done.)

I think OP means, pre-crash high of 500k wasn't returned to until two years later (2009). Four years past that, 1 mil was achieved.

Yippie! Good for you, Skyrefuge. Nice savings and nice rising tide to build on. Congrats!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 11:12:06 PM »

I think OP means, pre-crash high of 500k wasn't returned to until two years later (2009). Four years past that, 1 mil was achieved.

Yippie! Good for you, Skyrefuge. Nice savings and nice rising tide to build on. Congrats!

Ah, gotcha.  He had made a comment about the last milestone he noticed being in 2007, so I didn't realize he noticed the same one in 09, but on rereading I see he did say it took two years to rereach a half mil, then just under 4 to double it.

Thanks for clarifying.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »
Congrats! and thanks for sharing an inspirational story.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 01:24:51 AM »
Nice to see new members in the two-comma club. 

pom

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 06:10:46 AM »
Congrats on the stash and the new girl !

WageSlave

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »
Although less fun in a rising market such as this, you could always normalize the equity portion of your portfolio against something like the Shiller PE10.

For example, as of this writing, that value is 24.60, versus a historical median of 15.88.

Let's say you have $1mm in the equity portion of your portfolio: 1mm/24.6 = X/15.88.  Solve for X = 645,528.

Yeesh, that's gloomy.

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 09:39:01 AM »
Wow that is awesome! I can't wait until we reach this point.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
Congrats. Its funny how quickly those milestones pass. The first $100k takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R. I'm hoping to hit the $1 million milestone in the next 1-2 years. Although the stock market will have quite a bit to say about when that happens exactly. Again, congrats. Well done.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »
Congrats.... DON'T TELL YOUR GF THAT YOU'RE A MILLIONAIRE!

At least not yet. ;)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 04:49:59 PM »

At least not yet. ;)

That's what I was thinking, too! Shhhhh!

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »
Congrats!! I loved reading your story. I'm 25 and my net worth is around $280k. I'm forecasting for when I'll hit $500k and $1 million and it's crazy how much faster the second and third $100k markers have come way way faster than the first $100k.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »

At least not yet. ;)

That's what I was thinking, too! Shhhhh!

Me three! But in any case, CONGRATULATIONS!

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »
Congratulations!!

As for whether or not to tell your GF ... I've dumped a millionaire before (and yes, he was still a millionaire when I dumped him). Not all women are out to steal your money!

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 11:53:49 PM »
Pretty badass!

merry3irwin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 02:08:15 AM »
Massive massive props to you sir. I hope one day I can post here with my goals realised. Anyway, just wondering how you're going to handle telling your new girlfriend? If you quit and don't work she will start asking questions. I have no idea how I'd handle that.

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 07:15:58 AM »
Congratulations!  Did you do anything to celebrate?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 08:37:05 AM »
My congrats as well!

Ed Mills

• Stubble
  • Join the FI Revolution Y'all!
    • The Millionaire Educator
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »
Congrats...this is truly badassity!  Years ago my Dad gave me a bottle of Dom Perignon (for some unknown reason).  When we hit the $1,000,000 net worth mark, we'll break it out at a celebratory bbq.  We'll probably also drink our box wine too.  Ed
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:47:03 PM by Ed Mills »

myDogIsFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
Congrats!  Your story is very inspiring.  Definitely don't tell the GF.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »
Way to go skyrefuge! It's pretty amazing once you've got a healthy balance built up in those accounts to see just how fast the net worth increases. Now your passive income probably rivals your job income -- it's wild when you look now at how much your net worth increases in one year, isn't it?

Thankfully you didn't go the way of some of my friends/colleagues/associates who got spooked at the big market drops in 2008-09 and pulled all their money out of the stock market so that they could subsequently miss out on all the recovery.

When I turned 45 (I'm 46 now and planning to retire in about 3 months), I changed my AA to about 60/40 equities/other so that I'd have a little insulation from the giant ups and downs in the market. It makes me feel better.

And you're wise to re-evaluate expenses now that you've got a girlfriend. Nothing can quite lead to lifestyle inflation like a girlfriend ;-)

Mrs3F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 11:34:33 AM »
Congrats!  That's awesome!  I love hearing stories like this; they keep me motivated when I fall into frugal-fatigue.  Not there yet, but on my way.

And it is amazing the way investments gain momentum.  The first $X is so much harder than the second or third. 

Well done.

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »
I always have heard "the first 100k is the hardest," even back when I was part time working at McD's at age 18.  Here is the thing, I am sure it was hard, but the first 100k wasn't that hard.  I also married a wife who had a good income and also, especially after meeting me, started maxing out her 401k etc.  So, I would say this, the first $1M is the hardest.  We have been working on this for years and while frugal, I ride my bike to work for example, I live an embarrassingly lavish lifestyle.  At about 775k we are getting closer but this still could take a while. 

m4nt0u

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »
First post here. I'm glad I found this place. Congrats and well done!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »
And you're wise to re-evaluate expenses now that you've got a girlfriend. Nothing can quite lead to lifestyle inflation like a girlfriend ;-)

I just have to say... maybe that is sometimes true, but not always!! I've definitely helped my bf take his lifestyle down a few notches. ;)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 02:52:27 PM »

I just have to say... maybe that is sometimes true, but not always!! I've definitely helped my bf take his lifestyle down a few notches. ;)

I second it!  Not only are gals just as likely to be the frugal ones as the gents (despite the bad reputation for shopping we have, the gents also have their luxuries like golf, scotch, electronics and cars), two people living together can save from economies of scale.  I grant that after the partner often comes family (and 3+ people results in more expenses than 2 people), but it seems a bit unfair to blame just the gals for that.  At least with the "+" it most definitely takes two to tango!

mbk

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 05:54:04 PM »

I second it!  Not only are gals just as likely to be the frugal ones as the gents (despite the bad reputation for shopping we have, the gents also have their luxuries like golf, scotch, electronics and cars), two people living together can save from economies of scale.  I grant that after the partner often comes family (and 3+ people results in more expenses than 2 people), but it seems a bit unfair to blame just the gals for that.  At least with the "+" it most definitely takes two to tango!

Rational me agrees with your post. But experiences with my wife & her friends (and also my mother) made a deep impression to not trust my money with the women in my life. Their stupid spending drives our relatives mad. My wife is gradually realizing the importance of money and  I hope her logical brain will dominate her impulsive brain in the future.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »
To the OP -- congrats!  Very cool.  I love to hear stories about average dudes/dudettes becoming millionaires by virtue of doing no more than working, saving and not spending wastefully.  Provides a template for everyone else out there and is like a big, giant, flashing sign that says, "This shit works!" -- even if nobody you know would likely suspect it.  Thanks for sharing.

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 03:31:37 PM »
I think you are well off enough where you should really consider going part time or 80%.  Bring this up to your employer, remember, you have "FU" money. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 08:13:50 PM »

I started tracking my expenses and thinking about early retirement around 9 years ago. My net worth then was around $180k, and while I could see a clear path to $1 million, it sure seemed a long way out there. But then you go and live a great fucking life, checking in from time to time, and suddenly 9 years have passed like nothing, and holy shit, I'm a millionaire! So to anyone out there whose FI-point seems impossibly distant, don't be discouraged; time really does end up flying (especially when seen in the rearview mirror), so if you've got that savings rate locked in, just sit back and let time do its magical thing to your money.

This is wonderful to hear. Thank you for sharing it!

Baylor3217

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 03:12:29 PM »
Would you be open to sharing general average income levels and general annual expenses?

Those are great real world examples that help people better understand what it takes to get here.

It appears this raging stock market has been blasting people right past a lot of milestones lately, and I'm happily caught in that wave too.

My net worth passed one million (in USD) today. $1,002,466.86 to be exact, according to Quicken. Yeah.

Of course, it's actually not anywhere as exact as the precision on that number implies. That number includes the value of my home, which I entered at its purchase price in 2002, and have never adjusted since then. Currently the house is worth something less than that purchase price, so that would drop me under a million. On the other hand, I was also recently offered  (but did not take) a lump-sum payout from a small pension I have, and that number might put me back over a million. So it all sort of evens out, and when I add in the fact that I have $760k in assets whose measurable value fluctuates daily by thousands of dollars, it's kind of silly to demarcate the not-millionaire/millionaire boundary with anything more precise than a giant fuzzy cloud.

But things like this must be marked, dammit! So this is my semi-arbitrary way of collapsing that giant fuzzy cloud into a sharp line. And hey, it's fun to see that Quicken doesn't have a bug that prevents it from handling 7-digit numbers!

For reference, I'm 36 years old, unmarried, no kids, and have been working as a semiconductor engineer for the past 15 years. All of my wealth-building has come from saved wages and stock/bond return, the vast majority via index funds. So no crazy real-estate deals, inheritances, or selling my hot sexy body; I guess that makes me your classic Millionaire Next Door, and also a decent MMM clone.

An important warning for you market-timers though. The last milestone like this that I noticed was $500k. The day was October 12, 2007. The next day, the S&P 500 dropped from its all-time high, bringing me back under $500k, and the index would not revisit that pinnacle at any time over the next 5 years. Since I was lucky enough to still be receiving income, my net worth didn't suffer for quite as long, but I still had to wait more than two years for my second day as a half-millionaire!

So I almost certainly just called the top of this thing.  Fuck.  Sorry!  :-)

(of course the positive takeaway is that after that second day as a half-millionaire, it took me less than 4 years to double it. Whoa.)

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2018, 07:34:23 PM »
Hey, it's the OP, popping in again after a long absence.

The important occasion that brought me back is that today, a little over 5 years after becoming a millionaire, I have now officially become a multi-millionaire!

Well, and it's not just "I" anymore. In 16 days, I'm getting married to the "new girlfriend" I mentioned in my second post in this thread! So that's our combined net worth.

Are we FI? I don't know. She came in with a negative net worth, but through significant spending reform, has recently turned that positive. I'm fairly confident in our combined expenses after 3 years of living together (~$45k/year) but health insurance is still a damn annoying unknown.

Either way, we plan to do a multi-year bicycle ride around the country/world starting sometime in the next 3 years or so, so we're at least close! Once we're through the wedding, I'll delve more into the numbers, and see if I can keep myself from being infected with OMY syndrome (and maybe you guys can help with that!)

~$180k -> $500k: ~9 years
$500k -> $1M: ~6 years
$1M -> $2M: ~5 years

Yeah, the graph looks just as exponential as those datapoints do. I guess if we reach $4M, we've definitely fucked up!

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2018, 07:58:01 PM »
Congratulations onthe multi status and your wedding! I'm still working on the second comma but I'm surprised how quickly it went from zero to where I am now. It really stacks up when you're not looking, huh?

As there was some discussion about the spendyness of ladies, as there often is on MMM forum, let me say that my DH is frugal AF and that's one of the things I love about him but without me he'd have 10k sitting in a checking account and no clue what to do with it. We all bring our strengths to the table. Ironically, he also keeps me from being cheap.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2018, 08:40:45 PM »
I'm a dangerous man with some money in my pocket (keep up)

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »
Awesome update, thanks.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2018, 06:11:33 PM »
Hey, it's the OP, popping in again after a long absence.

~$180k -> $500k: ~9 years
$500k -> $1M: ~6 years
$1M -> $2M: ~5 years

Yeah, the graph looks just as exponential as those datapoints do. I guess if we reach $4M, we've definitely fucked up!
Dang, you topped us, 31 years to $1M and 6 more years to $2M.
 Congrates on the wedding and the financial goal, glad you posted in the old thread too!

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2018, 01:52:49 PM »
Thanks for the update and congrats on the wedding!

Walterbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2018, 10:08:25 AM »
Wow Congrats man! Hope you are getting a prenup. Getting married is a risky thing when you have all that money.

You started working as an engineer at age 21? Nice! I am also an engineer, late 20's, and just recently started working. I got a masters degree and I am glad I did it, but sometimes I look at some of my older friends, and they all have like over five years of experience under their belt already, and I'm like "man, I am running behind!"

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2018, 03:42:25 PM »
Congratulations!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2018, 08:38:42 AM »
thats awesome congrats man! ... our early runs are driven so much by contribution i dont think we'll be quite as exponential unless we get some exponential salary growth - we just crossed 1MM a few days ago - back under currently ... probably be 4 years before we hit 2MM in total networth 5-6 for invested.

But man its awesome to hit milestones.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2018, 09:21:31 AM »
Wow Congrats man! Hope you are getting a prenup. Getting married is a risky thing when you have all that money.

You started working as an engineer at age 21? Nice! I am also an engineer, late 20's, and just recently started working. I got a masters degree and I am glad I did it, but sometimes I look at some of my older friends, and they all have like over five years of experience under their belt already, and I'm like "man, I am running behind!"
First, congratulations to you, @skyrefuge! Thanks for the crazy good update.

As for poor @Walterbl, can someone shoot him with an optimism gun, please? Dude, your glass is not half empty. Stop lamenting what you don't have and focus on what you do. Such pessimism in one so young is actually rather sad. It's rather unmustachian, as well. You have so much and there's a whole world of opportunity ahead of you. Don't let envy of others blind you to your own bright future.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2018, 09:44:06 AM »
Congrats, @skyrefuge!

Give us another update sometime.  Third million, first child, The Day of Leaving Work, whatev.   :)