Author Topic: Wedding planning done!  (Read 2349 times)

Kaminoge

• Bristles
Wedding planning done!
« on: January 15, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »
Basically I just need somewhere to brag because all the people I work with think I'm nuts.

Our wedding is in exactly 4 weeks.

Dress bought (new, $12)
Food selected (Chipotle - I'm getting married in the US and this is my favorite American food - about $13 a head for 9 people)
Cake picked ($50 - this is expensive but the groom and his sister are vegan and I really like cake so I didn't want to skip it).
Venue booked (we reserved a spot in a local park)
Rings bought ($20 each - I didn't want an engagement ring)

Feeling pretty bad ass... and ignoring what I'm spending on a plane ticket to get there :-). No point to this post I'm just excited about getting married to someone who was as happy as me to do things on the cheap (although I think he did feel some social pressure about not getting me an engagement ring).

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
Re: Wedding planning done!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 11:29:30 AM »
Awesome! this is more or less the budget I'm hoping for, but I gotta be honest, looking to spend a pretty-penny on booze, because how else am i supposed to deal with family?

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »
Congrats!  I spent WAY more than that (~30% the average in my city, though), and people still acted like I was crazy for not wanting (to pay for) certain items or services.  I also didn't want an engagement ring and people were all up in our business about it.  Thanks for your concern, folks!

Good job staying strong on that!

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
Congrats!  I spent WAY more than that (~30% the average in my city, though), and people still acted like I was crazy for not wanting (to pay for) certain items or services.  I also didn't want an engagement ring and people were all up in our business about it.  Thanks for your concern, folks!

Met with two friends getting married (to other people, separate weddings) and both were lamenting about how they "couldn't find flowers for cheaper than $4,000 - which is dumb because they are just going to die." So i said, "here's an idea, don't buy flowers" - got incredulous looks and they said "you really would not buy flowers for a wedding?!"

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »
So i said, "here's an idea, don't buy flowers" - got incredulous looks and they said "you really would not buy flowers for a wedding?!"

Or, buy flowers, but not the service of a florist.  i had hundreds of beautiful orchids (just orchids, no mix-ins, etc) that I got for $350 including shipping.  I spent another 30 on florist tape, and 30 on vases, then enlisted literally 2 hours of free labor to wrap some together for bridesmaids, and shove the rest in vases.   I think people often don't consider the in-between options.  If it's important to you, fine, but don't let other people tell you that you have to do anything the way the industry demands.

Kaminoge

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »

It helps that I'm no youngster (42) so I think that people are less likely to share their opinions quite so forcefully. Plus everyone knows I'm a bit odd so I guess they kind of expect it.

I forgot about booze. But my family don't drink. My husband to be doesn't drink. His mum might like a wine and his dad loves a beer but since we're having lunch at their house after the park bit they can drink whatever they like out of their own fridge.

I must admit we're also very fortunate in our families. My brother was married in my grandparents backyard with about 10 guests. My fiancé's sister was married in her parents lounge room (it was supposed to be in the yard but it rained) with about 30 guests but they catered themselves from the supermarket. Our parents have low expectations. My parents and aunt are flying half way around the world to attend (I offered to pay but they said no) but my fiancé's parents are going to host them in their home so that's a big saving on hotels.

And if I'm completely honest it isn't really about saving money. I have NEVER wanted a wedding. I just find them really really odd. I love the idea of being married but not of the actual wedding bit. I did however want our families to meet and it seemed to make sense to do something around a wedding to facilitate that so this was the best compromise. And of course the fact it means eating burritos is a big plus!