Author Topic: Weather proof clothes line  (Read 2665 times)

patrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Weather proof clothes line
« on: August 11, 2015, 01:29:15 PM »
Today I installed a clothes line up against the ceiling of my covered porch /breezeway / 3 season room.

No more using the dryer because it is rainy, dark, or too windy outside. Too windy? Close the Jalousie windows. Rain? doesn't matter.

Spent $18 on clothesline and screw eyes, at the stupid inflated prices charged by the orange box. Still, cash ROI should be about 5 months, since it will save me from the typical 3 dryer loads that didn't go onto the outdoor line due to weather or convenience. Lines spaced 1 ft apart for 6 ft, in a room that is 12.75 feet long gives about 89 feet of drying line from a 100 foot piece of clothesline. With the diapers over the line, they just barely brush my head. Too high up for most folks, but I had to clear a door that swung into the space.

Always setup, and never in the way, unlike drying racks. Bonus: Turn on the fan for faster drying, and also to get a swamp cooler effect underneath. It may also look neat to string christmas lights on, although I would lose the drying ability. Beats the $40-$80 that BJs wanted for the "premium" folding drying rack, with plastic-fantastic in all the hinges and stress areas.

Time will tell if I can actually get things dry on humid days, but I think I will.

lavinfara

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Weather proof clothes line
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:11:16 AM »
I like it when you solve a problem and both the environment and your wallet benefits from it. I will do the same, especially now when my wife is talking about getting a tumble dryer...

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 03:39:54 PM »
Wind is good for drying clothes.

Also, you could have the lines closer together. My lines above the deck aren't badass as they came from the shop - see http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/storage-cleaning/laundry/clotheslines/extending for examples, and the lines are about 6" apart. We have been using them for many years, and they work fine. So if you run out of space for the clothes you could put another set in between the ones you have set up.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:09:13 PM »
From an aesthetic perspective, I really like that you got the lines square.  When not in use, they are quite unobtrusive.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 08:56:47 PM »
Great work!

I'm putting our racks to use at the moment, with all this rain we are getting. I miss the wide verandahs at our old place, where we had retractable clothes lines under them, front and back. Here we are renting, so make do with the folding racks. I have two folding ones on the floor (currently, one in the laundry, one on the back verandah), plus an over-the-door version with about 5 rungs on it. Handy for a pinch. I think it is designed to put in the bathroom for towels.