Author Topic: We reached the multi-billion dollar club!  (Read 4386 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
We reached the multi-billion dollar club!
« on: July 19, 2019, 02:08:21 PM »
Our wealth has truly skyrocketed since we found MMM in 2012 and changed how we spent and invested.

Today, I just received via the mail, certain financial instruments that make us multi-billionaires.   Thru savings, investing, and currency manipulation we've gone from a net worth of $500,000 dollars to $150 billion plus a couple of million in change.

Thanks everyone!

What I hold in my hands (when I'm not typing this at least), is thirty financial instruments each worth 5 billion dollars.

Sadly, they arent worth 5 billion US dollars.  They are worth 5 billion 2008 Zimbabwean dollars when the country went thru hyperinflation.      I could have become a trillionaire instead but I didn't want to spend another twenty US dollars...

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: We reached the multi-billion dollar club!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 02:11:42 PM »
Nice

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 02:54:47 PM »
Here's what one of these 30 bills looks like.    I think they will make good Christmas presents for people who don't really need one.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 06:08:31 PM »
A billion dollars here, a billion dollars there, and pretty soon you are talking about real money.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 09:05:16 PM »
A billion dollars here, a billion dollars there, and pretty soon you are talking about real money.

I didn't know we had a congress person amongst us.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 09:48:22 PM »
In the last year we gave away 250 billion (50x5 billion) , mostly for Halloween.

Did it measurably decrease my net worth (scoffs) of course not! My trillion is still in its glass case.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 09:11:12 AM »
Haha, I gave my wife a 100 trillion note a few years ago as a gag gift. That was the biggest one Zimbabwe printed to my knowledge.

It was pricey...something like $10 shipped to me even though it was worth about 35 cents according to the exchange rates.

Plugra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 07:01:47 PM »
The shocking thing about the Zimbabwean hyperinflation is not that the exchange rate (Zimbabwe dollars to USD) was growing exponentially. If you have seen a graph, the truly shocking thing is that the logarithm of the exchange rate was growing exponentially.  Let that sink in!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 10:29:08 PM »
The shocking thing about the Zimbabwean hyperinflation is not that the exchange rate (Zimbabwe dollars to USD) was growing exponentially. If you have seen a graph, the truly shocking thing is that the logarithm of the exchange rate was growing exponentially.  Let that sink in!

Wow.   In the late 80s the Italian lira had lost so much value that we had to add a data field to our shipping database.  It held the number of zeros to add to the right of the number in the currency amount data field.    So, an amount of 512 with an value of 5 meant 51,200,000.    We did it because the system couldn't handle the number of digits we needed.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 10:30:55 AM »
Inspired by this thread, I went to Ebay to check out the prices on notes that would also let me become a trillionaire. Most shocking is that there are now cheap Chinese counterfeit versions of the Zimbabwean 100 trillion note.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zimbabwe-100-Trillion-Dollar-Banknote-World-Currency-Bill-Paper-Money-Collection/401742968378?hash=item5d89bf363a:g:jqUAAOSw7aNcpWs3

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
Inspired by this thread, I went to Ebay to check out the prices on notes that would also let me become a trillionaire. Most shocking is that there are now cheap Chinese counterfeit versions of the Zimbabwean 100 trillion note.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zimbabwe-100-Trillion-Dollar-Banknote-World-Currency-Bill-Paper-Money-Collection/401742968378?hash=item5d89bf363a:g:jqUAAOSw7aNcpWs3

Why anyone thought communism would actually work in China is beyond me.   They've had capitalism down pat for millennia.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 03:23:43 AM »
Now I want to invest in Zimbabwean dollars!