Author Topic: We checked our credit reports and got FICO scores today  (Read 2596 times)

CindyBS

• Bristles
We checked our credit reports and got FICO scores today
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:18:24 PM »
and I'm pretty pleased with the numbers.  No one irl would appreciate this, so I figured I'd brag here.

I was 828
DH was 844

He is 6 years older and has had 1 more car loan than me, so I think him having credit longer is the difference.

Also, today we upped his 401(k) contribution by 2% more. 

Not too bad. :-)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: We checked our credit reports and got FICO scores today
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 06:58:50 PM »
Good job!

(Provided you aren't paying much in interest! :) )

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 07:04:58 PM »
We put a lot on our credit cards to get the cash back, but pay in full each month.

We have a mortgage with an interest rate of 2.83% that will paid off in full in 2.5 years.

No other debts :-)

MisterTwoForty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
Congrats on a good credit score, but a high credit score is not indicative of being able to manage money well.   It just means you are good at making payments.  I would focus that energy on savings and contributing to your retirement accounts.

I know some on this forum are huge proponents of rewards cards, but I've never been one to take advantage.  Never met anyone who made it rich on rewards cards - but know a lot of people who have credit card debt issues. 

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 08:31:45 PM »
We are totally focused on savings too - scheduled to reach FI in 7 years. :-) 

I agree with the rewards cards being complicated.  I don't really travel by airplane that much, so a mileage card is not that appealing.   The one we have gives a % as cash back.  We have it set up so that every time it hits $50 of rewards, $50 is taken off our cc bill.   We could be getting more money by getting other cards or opening and then closing various reward cards, but I'm pretty happy with our system and the lack of work involved.   

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 03:09:07 AM »
Good job!

Now to utilize that asset (your good credit scores) to make money via credit card rewards and travel hacking.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.