Author Topic: Washing dishes? PULEASE.  (Read 26123 times)

ginastarke

• Stubble
Re: Washing dishes? PULEASE.
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »
About rinse/ reuse - we do that with our soda/tea cups. When I wash the dishes after a meal, the cups get thrown in, too.

A little embarrassing and he would never do it in front of others, but when hub licks the plate that my cooking was on, I'm flattered.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2014, 06:25:03 PM »

Obviously this works for me as I am living alone atm.

And I suspect you will be living alone for a long, long time.

This is just bizarre behavior.  It isn't frugal, it's just wacky.

Hey, why not go all the way, just stop showering and cleaning yourself.  You can lick yourself clean.  Think of all the water you'll save!

Stop washing your clothes (maybe you can lick them clean?).  You'll be a chick magnet!

Good God, people.  I'm a cheap SOB, I understand frugal.  But at some point, you just have to step back and say, "am I frugal, or do I need professional psychological help?"

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:28:06 PM by libertarian4321 »

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »
Good God, people.  I'm a cheap SOB, I understand frugal.  But at some point, you just have to step back and say, "am I frugal, or do I need professional psychological help?"

OP has said repeatedly this isn't about money

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2014, 06:40:54 PM »
You have some alternate reality going on.  Not judging, but I'm not re-licking plates.

We run the dishwasher once a day.  We shower on a similar schedule, except me, I shower less cause I work from home.  The dog doesn't mind.

Here is the thing, re-licking plates is not going to be an attractive quality to, say, 100%, of the women out there. Don't put it on your internet dating profile.

As an aside, I also went on a first date with someone with odd meal hygiene.  We went to a restaurant and he used his fingers to get some crumbs on the table.. and ate them.  I suggest that you hide this technique away until at least the one-year mark.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 05:07:50 PM »
As an aside, I also went on a first date with someone with odd meal hygiene.  We went to a restaurant and he used his fingers to get some crumbs on the table.. and ate them.  I suggest that you hide this technique away until at least the one-year mark.

One year, holy shit! Eating crumbs off the table is weak-sauce. Maybe not appropriate on a first date, but I think fine after a few dates. Last night, my lady picked up some food that was dropped on our kitchen floor and added it back to the meal we were preparing. She informed me about it first, and I agreed it was the proper thing to do. You know when the last time we cleaned the floor was, cuz I don't. And she is a beautiful and classy lady. Yes, a beautiful and classy lady who sometimes eats food off the ground. Yeah, I scored!

What's that MMM quote about gleefully plowing through a sea of germs, strengthening your immune system? Guess some of us were not convinced.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2014, 12:49:37 AM »
Either you have no dogs or they're too slow.  In my parents house, if you drop food, the dachshund  gets to it as fast as his stubby legs will get him there :P

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2014, 08:06:20 AM »
Different strokes for different folks.  I think i will use the dishwasher. I can afford myself that one luxury. One time getting sick with hospital bills will change this. But judge you not! just not for me.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2014, 08:03:40 PM »
Maigahane, you and my mother would get along. Thank heaven for her intervention. If Dad had his way, the weeniedog  would  be more  like a watermelon.  Personally, I'm afraid to step on them  when I'm cooking and kick them out.  (figuratively, of course!)

Babymoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2014, 08:19:59 AM »
Okay, the licking thing is just gross :), but I can subscribe to the rinse theory for some things with hot water washes on others. Eating a close to vegan diet cuts down on a lot of the nasty bacteria, but I still think everything needs a hot wash and a good scrub fairly frequently.  I like EREs post on it though, he'd only have one set of dishes to be reused for everything! http://earlyretirementextreme.com/the-minimalist-kitchen.html

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
I hate sponges too. That's why I use dish cloths. I try to wash them every day, or every other day, along with our hand towels. It doesn't add any more to my light-colored load.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »
Ok, a little off topic but this post practically gave me a flashback to one of the worst dates I ever went on. We were in a restaurant, and after eating our main course, the guy literally picked up his plate and licked the entire thing clean. In the restaurant. On a first date.

I was so shocked that I just sat and watched him. It was an Italian place so it was some kind of pasta sauce, which then of course collected in the corners of his mouth. I guess I looked grossed out/appalled because his response was a rather loud: "What's wrong?! God, don't tell me you're high maintenance!"

True story.

Lol! The best part of this story is that he tried to turn it around and make it a problem with you. Classic dickhead move.

Tacosrocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Stop looking at my personal text, gosh
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2014, 08:15:18 PM »
I hate doing dishes, so I think that if you're able to it's a great idea. Though I wouldn't just lick it... I would rinse it with water at least haha.

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2014, 09:57:06 PM »
I support the OP. 

If you select your meals appropriately, washing dishes is generally unnecessary.  However, if it takes more time to lick the plate clean that to wash it, I would wash it.

Most people have sanitary standards that cause them to do a lot of extra work without commesurate health benefits.  The same principles can be applied to vaccuming, dusting, and most other house chores. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:11:36 PM by Cottonswab »

momo5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2014, 06:01:14 PM »

Most people have sanitary standards that cause them to do a lot of extra work without commesurate health benefits.  The same principles can be applied to vaccuming, dusting, and most other house chores.

technically, I agree with this.
practically, though, and speaking for myself, I must say that my standards of cleanliness might not have any physical health benefits but they do have mental health benefits. I enjoy using a clean glass for my tea.  I enjoy getting into a bed made neatly with freshly washed linens. I not only enjoy living in a clean and organized space, but I find that it also saves time sometimes. I dont lose things. If I drop something on the floor, it doesnt get dirty. I can walk around barefoot and not have to wipe dirt off my toes before heading outside in flip flops. I can prepare food more efficiently without having to juggle semi-dirty dishes on the counters.
and I dont really mind washing dishes, its almost meditative.
many different strokes for different folks, I like clean. Its my cheap way of finding joy :)
not to mention that if my kids were all sharing dishes and the like, we'd be spending lots of time and money at the pediatrician.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »
I have begun to not be so nitpicky about washing all my dishes with soap.  If I use a bowl for dinner, and then think, hmm...I'm going to use this bowl again first thing in the morning for breakfast--do I really need to wash it now?  I'll just stick it in the fridge (so that an errant fly or spider doesn't use it for its bed overnight).  I like giving myself permission to be a little loose with rules like washing dishes or clothing after every use.  It's small stuff--which I shouldn't sweat over!

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2014, 10:27:35 AM »
I applaud the sentiment of this post.

If one suffers no ill health effects (which sounds reasonable) and really pays attention and notices not bugs, whhhhy not?   

We are a family who winds up with a sink full of dishes.   And while I don't think I'm ready to go quite as far (still probably will wash dishes with any sticky things), I think I could do a better job of just brushing off plates with crumbs, or doing a quick rinse of things that had non-sticky liquids.   

That's what I do.  I do rinse off the plates with just crumbs from sandwiches, cereal bowls with just a little milk, dry them and put them away.  (Just a personal thing, can't stand seeing a sink full of dishes.  Makes me slightly nutz when watching the g'kids & walk into a sink full of dishes.  Only takes a few minutes to rinse, dry, put away.  No criticism!  Don't know your schedule.)  Always scrub pots & pans - they don't go in the dishwasher.  Sticky things . . . ? kinda depends on how sticky.  I think I get what you mean tho.

2 second rule here as far as things falling on the floor. 

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »
Ok, a little off topic but this post practically gave me a flashback to one of the worst dates I ever went on. We were in a restaurant, and after eating our main course, the guy literally picked up his plate and licked the entire thing clean. In the restaurant. On a first date.

I was so shocked that I just sat and watched him. It was an Italian place so it was some kind of pasta sauce, which then of course collected in the corners of his mouth. I guess I looked grossed out/appalled because his response was a rather loud: "What's wrong?! God, don't tell me you're high maintenance!"

True story.

Haha, I know- clearly my standards were just unreasonable. I'm so shallow.

Lol! The best part of this story is that he tried to turn it around and make it a problem with you. Classic dickhead move.

Astreja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2018, 09:31:07 PM »
I usually just rinse my teacup out with water and leave it to dry, and give it a good scrub now and then.

All the other dishes get a full-service wash and rinse with hot water.  I quickly rinse them when setting them in the sink, or fill pots with water and a dab of soap to soak.  When I do wash the dishes they get scrubbed with a scrubbing pad and soap, then thoroughly rinsed and left to air-dry.  I only fill the sink with hot water if there are a lot of dishes (for instance, if I'm in the middle of cooking something fancy and there are pots and spoons and mixing bowls all over the kitchen).

ePalmtrees

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »
This is truly disgusting. Some self-evaluation is in order.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »
Oh hell no.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2018, 01:49:33 PM »
Not washing your dishes between uses: Not frugal or badass, just lazy and slovenly.

Dirty Sponges: Doesn't matter, that's what soap is for.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2018, 01:51:58 PM »
Pulease let this be fake. If not, ew. Washing dishes really doesn't take that long..

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2018, 08:24:25 PM »
OK, I don't know who resurrected this thread but I'll share some more info

I was on an outward bound style hiking trip for 30 days.  I reused the same plastic bowl the entire time, licking clean with maybe a tiny bit of iodine water.  Somehow I lived through this.

You swallow your own spit hundreds of times a day, but now you're too good to ingest a bit of your own dried spit?  PULEZZE

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2018, 06:51:07 AM »
Interesting thread...

Does licking save time? To me it would seem like a 5 second rinse with water would be quicker with less risk of mess.

If you were concerned about bacterial growth not being nuked by the microwave, you could keep the used plate in the freezer.