Author Topic: Washing dishes? PULEASE.  (Read 26121 times)

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
Washing dishes? PULEASE.
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »
I cannot believe how much time and money people waste washing dishes. I cook large batches of food that I heat in the microwave, I don't need a clean plate every time. Just eat the food, lick plate clean ( no one's here to see me ) then set plate on counter.
Never ever had a problem. No mold or bugs. The stains just dry. I eat 4-6 times a day and reuse a plate all week. That's 28-42 plates per week I'm not wasting time, water and money getting slightly cleaner 2 hours before I make it dirty again.
( if 1 plate washed per week, that's 52 plates vs >10 000. You make the call ).

My girlfriend's sink becomes completely cluttered with dishes within a day ( she lives with her sister ). If they had a dishwasher they would easily fill it up every two days, all because they never reuse anything. Even for a glass of water they'll get a new glass. It takes a good 15 minutes to do those dishes. That's 40-45 hours per year spend doing nothing but scrubbing dishes.
( 15mins every 2 days )

What a monstrous waste.

Even if you're super paranoid and think you'll die by doing this, you can still just rinse your plate quickly under the sink, give it a sponge wipe and it's basically clean again. No soap, no dishwasher, no nonsense.

Btw probably 99% of people who think this is gross wash their dishes with the same sponge for weeks. A dish sponge becomes the dirtiest thing in your house pretty quick and is actually filled with dangerous germs. But here you are "cleaning" all your plates with it.

lastly: If you're cooking anything, do the dishes while your stuff is cooking. Might as well since you can't do anything else anyway and when you're done there's not a huge pile of dirty crap that needs to be cleaned just as you finished stuffing your face with your delicious creation.

luigi49

• Bristles
Re: Washing dishes? PULEASE.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:23:26 AM »
that is badass but I would rinse the plate with water just for safety. 

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 10:25:30 AM »
I mean, I think there's a happy medium here. no offense, but the idea of licking a plate clean, leaving it on the counter, and letting "the stains just dry" grosses me the fuck out :) but plenty of things, like cheese graters, beaters for my mixer, etc., I usually just rinse/wipe and put back, so I'm with ya on that.

my boyfriend always puts these things in the dishwasher, even my favorite knife, which is super annoying because a) I probably want to use it again before the next dishwasher run, which is why the rinse and wipe/quick hand wash method is so great, and b) it's not a nice knife or anything but I don't want to sharpen it every damn day! ETA: I also reuse water cups for days and he is always trying to take them and put them in the dishwasher :)

you are so right about the sponges though, mine are always super gross.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:47:39 AM by oscarsmom »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:48:08 AM »

^ This seemed appropriate.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »
Ewww! I could see where one could do this on a light scale, but not to the extent that you are saying to do it. Cats love to get on the counters and lick on stuff! Also, I am not keen on the idea of any contamination from meat products (I am vegetarian, but my kids eat some meat). also, we try not to share germs, as we like to have fewer people getting sick in our house.

The girlfriend and her sister situation sounds like a case of laziness. Why not wash the dishes right after the meal? Why have it sit all day? That is weird.

Obviously this works for me as I am living alone atm ( though I did use to do it when I lived with my parents anyway ).
If you have pets / kids / allergies etc. then you can't be as hardcore.

You'd be surprised to know this but people (especially young people...) leave dishes on the counter /sink a lot. Yes it's lazy, but people are lazy, yet they set their lives up in ways that require a bunch of extra work. ( hate doing dishes but keep using 5 times too many clean dishes every day...)

When I was on OKcupid, one of the questions was "Do you use paper plates to avoid doing the dishes?".
Apparently that's a thing...:O

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 12:58:09 PM »
The girlfriend and her sister situation sounds like a case of laziness. Why not wash the dishes right after the meal? Why have it sit all day? That is weird.

Not necessarily laziness. I like doing dishes but I hate just washing one or two items. I actually prefer to do a sinkful at a time, it seems more efficient.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 01:00:20 PM »
I reuse my cereal bowl for a week or more. I just give it a quick rinse when I'm done and set it on the counter to dry for tomorrow.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 04:07:52 PM »
Hmm,  isn't licking the plates clean the duty of the family dog?

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 06:54:53 PM »

The same dogs that eat poop?

Why you gotta be so picky? :)

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 07:23:50 PM »
Well, OP, thank you for the badassity, 'cause it means more water for meeeeeeee in the future drought-world we're headed toward!

Seriously, a little too extreme for me, but I'm on board with rinsing some stuff instead of washing. On the other hand my husband has issues with foods, which take the form of a serious fear of contamination, so I actually wash way more dishes now that I live with a man than I used to as a single girl. Oh well.

Also, sponges should go through the dishwasher or the microwave regularly...

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »
Sometimes you have to do, what you have to do. Take this couple from Alaska:
With no dishwasher or running water, they sometimes enlist dogs — their family’s and those of the neighbors — to lick plates clean before scrubbing the dishes in hand-drawn well water, which they said saves energy. For pragmatic reasons, Mr. Higman said, “We do have lower standards than a lot of people about how clean things have to be.”

We (ok I..) have been known to do similar when camping. The dog enjoys it, and it saves a trip to dump the food..

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 10:36:43 PM »
I haven't gone this far, but I agree totally with the concept. A dry dish with some day-old cooked non-meat food caked on it is not going to make you sick, especially if it's not being shared between people. The microwave will also keep re-sterilizing the plate.

We keep Nalgenes around the apartment for drinking water, and they hardly ever get washed. We try to keep butter knives out to use multiple times. If I see a plate or utensil in the sink and I know what was on it earlier that day, I'll reuse it. Easy stuff like that.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »

The same dogs that eat poop?

Saves on pet food expenses

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »

Microwave eh... I hadn't thought of that :O

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 07:38:22 AM »

As long as it's wet. If it's dry, or dries out in the microwave it could catch on fire. It also has to be in there long enough for the whole thing to get hot, at least 160F or preferably even higher to kill everything. Microwaves don't inherently kill anything, it's the heat that does it. Ionizing radiation, on the other hand, can kill germs, so if you have some highly radioactive material in your house you can use that.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 07:52:17 AM »
Sure let me just get my plutonium out of the mattress xD

Since the sponge is only used in hot water, wouldn't that do the trick too?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »

I am guessing any water you can tolerate hand-washing dishes in is not hot enough to kill germs. 160F would HURT (for me anyway)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 08:11:58 AM »

I am guessing any water you can tolerate hand-washing dishes in is not hot enough to kill germs. 160F would HURT (for me anyway)

low-temp pasteurization: 145*F for 30 min. source
minimum burn time @ 140*F: 2 sec (1st degree), 5 sec (2nd or 3rd degree) source

if it'll kill germs, it'll kill you

Nancy

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 08:17:36 AM »

As long as it's wet. If it's dry, or dries out in the microwave it could catch on fire. It also has to be in there long enough for the whole thing to get hot, at least 160F or preferably even higher to kill everything. Microwaves don't inherently kill anything, it's the heat that does it. Ionizing radiation, on the other hand, can kill germs, so if you have some highly radioactive material in your house you can use that.

Every night, microwave your DAMP sponge on full power for 2 minutes to kill bacteria.

Jan. 24, 2007 -

"Basically, what we find is that we could knock out most bacteria in two minutes," says researcher Gabriel Bitton, professor of environmental engineering at the University of Florida, in a news release. "People often put their sponges and scrubbers in the dishwasher, but if they really want to decontaminate them and not just clean them, they should use the microwave."

Researchers say disease-causing bacteria and germs from uncooked eggs, meat, and vegetables often work their way onto countertops and cleaning tools, and the dampness of sponges, dish cloths, and scrubbers provide an ideal breeding ground for the bugs.
Microwave Sterilizes Sponges

In the study, published in the Journal of Environmental Health, researchers evaluated the effects of zapping sponges and plastic scrubbing pads in the microwave on bacteria and viruses.

The sponges and scrubbing pads were soaked in wastewater containing a dangerous mix of fecal bacteria, E. coli, and bacterial spores. Bacterial spores are more difficult to kill.

The results showed that two minutes in the microwave at full power killed or inactivated more than 99% of all the living germs and the bacterial spores in the sponges and pads, including E. coli.

After an additional two minutes -- a total of four -- none of the bacterial spores survived.

Before you zap your sponges in the microwave, researchers offer the following advice:

Microwave only sponges or plastic scrubbers that do not contain steel or other metals.
    Make sure the sponge or scrubber is wet, not dry.
    Two minutes should be enough to kill most disease-causing germs.
    Be careful in removing the sponge from the microwave because it will be hot and should not be handled immediately after zapping.
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/news/20070124/microwave-kills-germs-sponges

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 09:01:45 AM »
The other advantage with microwaving wet sponges/cloths is that it steams the dirt off the inside of the microwave. Then you can just wipe it down. With the sponge you just sterilized. Ah, shit, I see a flaw.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 09:10:58 AM »
I like the microwaving trick. I'm totally going to use that.

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »
Not washing dishes the way you describe is disgusting. And I don't use a sponge to wash my dishes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 10:16:16 AM »
This idea doesn't seem significantly more disgusting to me than using a 'seasoned' cast iron pan.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »
This idea doesn't seem significantly more disgusting to me than using a 'seasoned' cast iron pan.

If you're going to season the pan you might as well season your dishes too :) Deeeeeelicious!

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 10:47:42 AM »
Nothing really shocking here.  When on a long distance hike, those that cook deal with their pot (which is also their bowl) as follows, which sounds similar to the OP:

1)  Cook (ok, not really cook, more like rehydrate) the meal.
2)  Eat.
3)  Use spoon to scrape out every last bit of caloric containing material.
4)  Splash a bit of water into pot.  Swish around.  Swirl with spoon.  Use finger and water in pot to loosen all material into a slurry.
5)  Drink slurry
6)  Put another splash of water into pot.  Use finger to move around the water to rinse.
7)  Drink rinse water.
8)  If desired, wipe out pot.  Note, when boiling water for the next meal (or coffee or tea) pot will be sterilized.

Why do it this way?  Well, you humped that food for days to get to where you are.  The last water source was 12 miles back and you're still 8 miles from the next source.  You're not about to waste one calorie of nutrition or one drop of water, especially since you carried both many miles to this point AND both are scarce.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 10:58:30 AM »
Nothing really shocking here.  When on a long distance hike, those that cook deal with their pot (which is also their bowl) as follows, which sounds similar to the OP:

1)  Cook (ok, not really cook, more like rehydrate) the meal.
2)  Eat.
3)  Use spoon to scrape out every last bit of caloric containing material.
4)  Splash a bit of water into pot.  Swish around.  Swirl with spoon.  Use finger and water in pot to loosen all material into a slurry.
5)  Drink slurry
6)  Put another splash of water into pot.  Use finger to move around the water to rinse.
7)  Drink rinse water.
8)  If desired, wipe out pot.  Note, when boiling water for the next meal (or coffee or tea) pot will be sterilized.

Why do it this way?  Well, you humped that food for days to get to where you are.  The last water source was 12 miles back and you're still 8 miles from the next source.  You're not about to waste one calorie of nutrition or one drop of water, especially since you carried both many miles to this point AND both are scarce.

steps 5 and 7 are the only ones that really gross me out, but then I also refused to drink my cereal milk as a child. I may not be cut out for long distance hiking :)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »

Make sure you heat your plate to 300 or 400 degrees with every use, like the pan, and you're all set!

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 05:54:14 PM »
Eww. The licking idea grosses me out.

We tried something sort of along those lines that worked really well--we each only used one plate, glass, bowl, etc. all the time. You only ever have to wash one dish at a time and it takes less than a minute. You also never have more than two dirty dishes at once, as you have to clean your dish before you can use it again. Dishes never sit around dirty/ rust/ get food stuck on them while they are waiting days for the dishwasher to fill up. I am pretty sure I got this idea on here but can't remember where!

Grateful Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »
Just eat the food, lick plate clean ( no one's here to see me ) then set plate on counter.

Mustachianism means different things to different people, and I'm glad you've found your niche.

P.S. I think you're just messing with us.

Cheers.

minimalist

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 08:27:39 PM »
I can't tell if the OP is being serious. Yes, I use a sponge that may harbor bacteria to remove food from dishes, but the last thing to touch the dishes are soap and hot water. I live with roommates, so no one leaves dirty dishes in the sink.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »
Just eat the food, lick plate clean ( no one's here to see me ) then set plate on counter.

Mustachianism means different things to different people, and I'm glad you've found your niche.

Cheers.

He's not the only one who does this.  I have done similar since I moved away from home about 10 years ago (as my mother would have NOTHING to do with it).  I can use the same fork for days, and a quick rinse for a bowl or plate gets it clean enough for most purposes.  If it has sauce or something I want to preserve for it's next use, I just put it in the fridge.  Come home from work, spoon leftovers in, and it's ready to go!  No expensive hot water or soap used, no time wasted.

I am also quite shocked when I've seen people spoon the last soup or casserole out of a dish, only to put it in a new one!  Umm, hello, is your pot unclean to eat out of?

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 07:40:17 AM »

Nope.
I'll reuse the same plate probably 30 times before actually cleaning it, since I eat so often. It gets reheated 5-6 times a day.

Hmmm do 30 times more dishes... or.. have some stains on my plates some times... hmm what to choose..

edit: Oh and my old roomate had found a way around doing dishes: He only ate things out of cans or bags. Lol. He never cooked or ate anything that required making plates dirty. It was beautiful in a way but of course he wasn't eating the healthiest / cheapest things and eating out a little much. Still, he never had to do dishes probably in 3 years.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:42:17 AM by poxpower »

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 04:29:49 PM »
Make sure not to mix plate with OP when you visit him. 

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »
Make sure not to mix plate with OP when you visit him.

I'd look closely at anything proving different, but I doubt that all the worries about germs are justified at all beyond the standard of "ewww, cooties".

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 09:49:34 PM »
So...just occurred to me...if you are so careful with your water usage, do you also avoid flushing your toilet? "if it's yellow..." and all that? Do you ever wash/clean floors/surfaces? Do you use water while you're cooking?

Just seems a ridiculous length to go to to save money. Fairfax water tells me the average price of water in the US is $1.50/1000 gal. That's .15 penny per gallon. At 5 meals/uses per day, 1 cup of water per rinse (after licking your plate clean), you're saving about 6 cents per month. Adjust up/down depending on water prices (I found $2/1000 gal for one part of Montreal, so that's...8 cents...still less than $1/year).

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 10:56:38 PM »
If it's yellow, let it mellow.

If it's brown, flush it down.

In the master bath, this is the policy.  But not in the community toilets in the house.  lol.  I guess to save a little water.

But I believe you wash your dishes? :) Flushing less seems like a more effective way to save any noticeable money on water than not rinsing spit off your plate(s). :)

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 12:49:15 AM »
So...just occurred to me...if you are so careful with your water usage, do you also avoid flushing your toilet? "if it's yellow..." and all that? Do you ever wash/clean floors/surfaces? Do you use water while you're cooking?

I don't pay for water here, this is more to save time really.
And it just happens to waste less water. So. win-win.

nordlead

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »
I reuse cups all the time. I re-use plates/bowls up to a point. Say I'll reuse a plate if it held a sandwich but not a juicy steak (unless I JUST ate off of it, but that is like going for seconds, you don't need a new plate for that).

I have a stainless steel dishwasher with a hard food disposer that is whisper quite and only cost $350 (yay for outlet stores). It costs me pennies to run (my 3-month water bill is under $50 despite long showers every day). It takes me only a few seconds to throw the dish in the dishwasher compared to the sink since I only have to open the door and pull out the rack and I don't have to rinse it. No dirty sponges here and no disgusting dishes either.

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »
If I eat a dry meal, when I'm done I just brush the plate off and put it on the counter. If it's a wet meal, the dog does the prewash (she's very thorough, and not that I care, but she also doesn't eat shit) and then I do a hot water rinse and wipedown afterwards.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »

Cheers.

Agreed.

Who is closing this thread?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 10:58:57 AM »

Cheers.

Agreed.

Who is closing this thread?

I believe.  I won't lick the plate, but I'll reuse a plate for several days if it doesn't have any gross junk on there (no, I don't consider e.g. residual olive oil, salt, cheese, crispy bits of broccoli, etc. to be gross).  As for OP, once the saliva dries, the bacteria should die out right?

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 11:43:08 AM »
As for OP, once the saliva dries, the bacteria should die out right?

I have no idea but since I microwave the food every time I reuse the plate, I can't imagine much of it lives, on top of the fact that if it's bacteria from my own mouth then I don't imagine it's the most dangerous.

As I've pointed out before, tons of people will reuse sponges for weeks/months and those contain more harmful bacteria than the rest of your house combined... Then they just wash the dishes in lukewarm water and put them to dry...

I don't know that I'd do this if I had a family of 5 but since I'm living alone right now and don't have a dishwasher, I sure won't waste my time and space piling dishes in the sink and/or washing the same plate and fork 2000 times in one year like a psycho for fear that bacteria from my own mouth would somehow mutate and murder me in half a day.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
Ok, a little off topic but this post practically gave me a flashback to one of the worst dates I ever went on. We were in a restaurant, and after eating our main course, the guy literally picked up his plate and licked the entire thing clean. In the restaurant. On a first date.

I was so shocked that I just sat and watched him. It was an Italian place so it was some kind of pasta sauce, which then of course collected in the corners of his mouth. I guess I looked grossed out/appalled because his response was a rather loud: "What's wrong?! God, don't tell me you're high maintenance!"

True story.

poxpower

• Bristles
  • Retired at 35
    • thepoxbox.com
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2014, 11:54:15 AM »
Ok, a little off topic but this post practically gave me a flashback to one of the worst dates I ever went on. We were in a restaurant, and after eating our main course, the guy literally picked up his plate and licked the entire thing clean. In the restaurant. On a first date.

I was so shocked that I just sat and watched him. It was an Italian place so it was some kind of pasta sauce, which then of course collected in the corners of his mouth. I guess I looked grossed out/appalled because his response was a rather loud: "What's wrong?! God, don't tell me you're high maintenance!"

Lol
I don't recommend doing that :p

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »

True story.

Wish Iphone was invented then.  :)

To the person who is licking the spoon or silverware dry.  That is also badass same as OP with the dishes.   Water should be available at work. 

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »
This reminds me of the thread about reusing the same rag over and over as toilet paper...

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2014, 06:05:10 AM »
I applaud the sentiment of this post.

If one suffers no ill health effects (which sounds reasonable) and really pays attention and notices not bugs, whhhhy not?   

We are a family who winds up with a sink full of dishes.   And while I don't think I'm ready to go quite as far (still probably will wash dishes with any sticky things), I think I could do a better job of just brushing off plates with crumbs, or doing a quick rinse of things that had non-sticky liquids.   

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »
As for OP, once the saliva dries, the bacteria should die out right?

I have no idea but since I microwave the food every time I reuse the plate, I can't imagine much of it lives, on top of the fact that if it's bacteria from my own mouth then I don't imagine it's the most dangerous.

Are you boiling your food for five minutes in the microwave?  Because just heating it up to eating temperature isn't going to kill the bacteria.  Not that I disagree with the premise of the thread, just making sure you have all the info you need...

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2014, 09:18:07 PM »

True story.

That is amazing.  In a horrible way, of course. 

I definitely cannot get down with licking a plate clean and not washing it.  It may be fine as far as food safety/hygiene, but psychologically I could not do it.  I'll just save $ in other ways!  :P

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 10:02:23 PM »
I reuse my dirty dishes all the time. The other day, my girlfriend asked for a drink of water from my glass and while taking a swig she sees a little something floating in there and she goes "Babe! This glass is dirty! Ughh!" I hadn't thought about it when I handed it to her, funny stuff.

I started after using dirty dishes out of the dishwasher, thinking they were clean. My girlfriend informs me they are dirty, and after a few times I think "If I don't notice, what's the point."

Thumbs up to eating off dirty dishes, and wearing dirty clothes, and saving TP by only wiping your ass every third time...well maybe not that last one.