Author Topic: Walked over 2600 miles so far this year!  (Read 1575 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Walked over 2600 miles so far this year!
« on: December 12, 2017, 04:25:56 AM »
With the year closing and having a slight injury I walked just over 2670 miles so far this year. My goal was 50 miles a week and I accomplished that plus. Thats two years in a row of over 2500 miles and losing and keeping of 60lbs since fired going on 3 years. Wasn't always easy to roll out of bed and walk for 2 -2.5HRs  and sometimes 3  but always felt better when done. In the winter I did have a few good falls but fortunately was ok. Learned that better to walk in the streets throughout all the neighborhoods then on the sidewalks. People dont shovel or salt as well as the roads get done.   Only once did I walk to the end of the driveway and say " Screw it , I am not doing this" and went back into house since was to sore. Since I would go out at 4am it never interfered with getting anything done. Seen alot of wildlife and discovered many many trails. Got scared a few times by animals or people and scared many as well.

Sadly needing knee replacements I have been putting off the last 4 years might have put an end to walking for a bit unless the swelling in my left knee goes down. I was walking and tripped over a root and just not getting better so been doing elliptical. Also stepped on a rock and my shoes were pretty thin and worn out and definitely broke a few toes bones on the under side of my foot I have been walking on for last couple months. Time to let heal and am hoping my swelling in my knee goes down because I'd like to get back out to at least spring and get one done knee done at a time. Its amazing how walking in the quiet calms my nerves and it also helps with our insurance cost and $ rewards with the Humana program were on. So kinda get paid to walk too.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Walked over 2600 miles so far this year!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 06:36:56 AM »
With the year closing and having a slight injury I walked just over 2670 miles so far this year. My goal was 50 miles a week and I accomplished that plus. Thats two years in a row of over 2500 miles and losing and keeping of 60lbs since fired going on 3 years. Wasn't always easy to roll out of bed and walk for 2 -2.5HRs  and sometimes 3  but always felt better when done. In the winter I did have a few good falls but fortunately was ok. Learned that better to walk in the streets throughout all the neighborhoods then on the sidewalks. People dont shovel or salt as well as the roads get done.   Only once did I walk to the end of the driveway and say " Screw it , I am not doing this" and went back into house since was to sore. Since I would go out at 4am it never interfered with getting anything done. Seen alot of wildlife and discovered many many trails. Got scared a few times by animals or people and scared many as well.

Sadly needing knee replacements I have been putting off the last 4 years might have put an end to walking for a bit unless the swelling in my left knee goes down. I was walking and tripped over a root and just not getting better so been doing elliptical. Also stepped on a rock and my shoes were pretty thin and worn out and definitely broke a few toes bones on the under side of my foot I have been walking on for last couple months. Time to let heal and am hoping my swelling in my knee goes down because I'd like to get back out to at least spring and get one done knee done at a time. Its amazing how walking in the quiet calms my nerves and it also helps with our insurance cost and $ rewards with the Humana program were on. So kinda get paid to walk too.

That is an impressive amount of walking you have done. So you do this before going to work? Or are you FIREd? Getting to see the wildlife is very nice.

A few comments. Have you considered spike shoes or something like this to put under your shoes?
https://bergerengen.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/pigger.jpg
I use these: https://www.pervaco.no/vinter/fottoey/brodder-icer-s
These can prevent you from falling.

If you decide to walk on the road, then please wear reflective clothing and reflective bands around your ankle, so that you are visible in the dark. Today it happened again with my car that I could just avoid a dark-clothed pedestrian walking on the side of the road that I happened to see at the very last moment. Reflection saves your life.

I'm sorry to hear about your knee problem. Maybe the knee replacement will be a good experience once it is done? My grandfather used to be so enthusiastic about his hip replacement.

Maybe get a few good shoes? That's worth it when walking to much.

I walk to and from work when I have time for it (some weeks 2-3 times a week, but other weeks none). I also enjoy it a lot. I start walking through a quite part of the neighbourhood. Than a path through the forest. Than a long asphalt road down, meeting a lot of school children waiting for a bus. Then crossing a few relatively busy roads. Then I can take another forest path. And the last stretch is partly over the road by the lack of pavement. I dress up as a Christmas tree with reflection and head light in the winter. I love to listen to podcasts while I'm walking. I do enjoy the whole process a lot more in the lighter part of the year. Last time I walked it was dark when I left home and dark when I walked back. That is not very nice.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:55:52 AM »

That is an impressive amount of walking you have done. So you do this before going to work? Or are you FIREd? Getting to see the wildlife is very nice.

A few comments. Have you considered spike shoes or something like this to put under your shoes?
https://bergerengen.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/pigger.jpg
I use these: https://www.pervaco.no/vinter/fottoey/brodder-icer-s
These can prevent you from falling.

If you decide to walk on the road, then please wear reflective clothing and reflective bands around your ankle, so that you are visible in the dark. Today it happened again with my car that I could just avoid a dark-clothed pedestrian walking on the side of the road that I happened to see at the very last moment. Reflection saves your life.

I'm sorry to hear about your knee problem. Maybe the knee replacement will be a good experience once it is done? My grandfather used to be so enthusiastic about his hip replacement.

Maybe get a few good shoes? That's worth it when walking to much.

I walk to and from work when I have time for it (some weeks 2-3 times a week, but other weeks none). I also enjoy it a lot. I start walking through a quite part of the neighbourhood. Than a path through the forest. Than a long asphalt road down, meeting a lot of school children waiting for a bus. Then crossing a few relatively busy roads. Then I can take another forest path. And the last stretch is partly over the road by the lack of pavement. I dress up as a Christmas tree with reflection and head light in the winter. I love to listen to podcasts while I'm walking. I do enjoy the whole process a lot more in the lighter part of the year. Last time I walked it was dark when I left home and dark when I walked back. That is not very nice.

Wow I never even seen those before (spikes) I am all about that!  Yes I have 2 pair of good shoes with orthos in them as well. I was being stupid and cheap and put off buy new ones when I stepped on that rock. Might as well haven been barefoot.  Was one of those larger rocks that they use for temporary driveways when building homes and I think it probably was really minor at the time but being early fall stuff was falling out of trees and I was stepping on one thing or another and made probably a small thing into a big thing. Now I am afraid its healing wrong as (not to be gross) but my toes look like the spock symbol. My second two is hugging the big toe then huge gap and the other 3 going the other way. Plus I have like a hard lump in toe pad so probably some calcium build up I expect. This is what high deductibles combined with stupidity on my part does!

I am fire'd but for many many years before the last ten when I put all the weight on I always got up early and at that time went to the gym before going to work by 7:30.  Never could do at night. Needed to get done plus running 4 kids around.

I do wear clothing that has reflective elements to it but even then morning people I look out for. While there is not alot of people on road at that times the ones that are seem to not have been waken by their coffee yet. So I am as cautious as I can be. 75% of what i walk now is trails through neighborhoods and stuff anyhow so thats all pretty good.

Thanks!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 07:07:29 AM »
Spiky soles are available in the US as well. For example these:
https://www.stabilgear.com/shop/job-safety/stabilicers-run-copy/

There are also running shoes with build in spikes.
For example: http://trailrunner.ca/home/gear-review-asics-gel-arctic/

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 07:11:37 AM »
those is some great walking mileage there! I love to walk for all its benefits. That is a real drat about your knee. I usually start tripping when  I get tired hiking or walking. ha. you might check out the achievement app. $10 earned for every 10,000 pts earned. I recently saw another app that does the same, but forgot the name of it. Or charity miles is another great one to donate $ for the miles you walk and you get to pick the charity from a list available. well I hope you can continue the daily walking soon!

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 07:39:14 AM »
I do a lot of trail running, and one thing we've been doing instead of spending $$ on spikes is taking short zip screws and screwing them into the lugs on the bottom of a pair of older shoes. Gives as much (if not better!) grip as the spikes for a lot less. Granted, this probably won't work with road shoes since they don't usually have lugs on the bottom, but if you have trail shoes it's worth a try! Great job with all of the walking, that's awesome!

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »
I do a lot of trail running, and one thing we've been doing instead of spending $$ on spikes is taking short zip screws and screwing them into the lugs on the bottom of a pair of older shoes. Gives as much (if not better!) grip as the spikes for a lot less. Granted, this probably won't work with road shoes since they don't usually have lugs on the bottom, but if you have trail shoes it's worth a try! Great job with all of the walking, that's awesome!

I was just going to post the same thing.  And considering what website we're all posting on...it's way cheaper than buying something else!  You don't need any special shoes to do this, either.  Any kind of walking shoes should be fine.  (Just make sure the screws are short enough!)

http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
those is some great walking mileage there! I love to walk for all its benefits. That is a real drat about your knee. I usually start tripping when  I get tired hiking or walking. ha. you might check out the achievement app. $10 earned for every 10,000 pts earned. I recently saw another app that does the same, but forgot the name of it. Or charity miles is another great one to donate $ for the miles you walk and you get to pick the charity from a list available. well I hope you can continue the daily walking soon!

I will look into these, Thanks!

Spiky soles are available in the US as well. For example these:
https://www.stabilgear.com/shop/job-safety/stabilicers-run-copy/

There are also running shoes with build in spikes.
For example: http://trailrunner.ca/home/gear-review-asics-gel-arctic/

Good to know! Thanks

I was just going to post the same thing.  And considering what website we're all posting on...it's way cheaper than buying something else!  You don't need any special shoes to do this, either.  Any kind of walking shoes should be fine.  (Just make sure the screws are short enough!)

http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

I bet that would work just fine but with the issues I am having and the special orthos I need to wear I dont want to put holes in them at this point.