Author Topic: Verizon & Cable  (Read 5455 times)

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
Verizon & Cable
« on: June 06, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »
I just down sized my Verizon to a lower level saved $24 and while I went to get gas I stopped by Cox cable out of the blue. Asked them how I could lower my bill and they offered to take off another $11. Savings of $420 a year :)

BigHammah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Verizon & Cable
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:46:22 AM »
You can lower your cable bill to $0.00 very easily too. As someone who grew up watching sports, I can tell you that if I can do it, so can you. The major professional sports leagues have the system rigged so that if you want to watch the local team, you have to subscribe. I listen on the (free) radio now instead. I found it's much more productive a way to live too. Watching other people do their jobs on TV eats a lot of your free time.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »

I just down sized my Verizon to a lower level saved $24 and while I went to get gas I stopped by Cox cable out of the blue. Asked them how I could lower my bill and they offered to take off another $11. Savings of $420 a year :)
Congrats man, well done.
I've completely cut my cable and do any 'brain-off' activities through YouTube and torrents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:11:15 AM »
Hmm, can't seem to edit my last comment. I meant to add, that might be a good avenue to explore in the future! For 'must-see-tv' I have a few nonmustachian friends in the hood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

salesguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 10:45:25 AM »
I just called time warner and did same - was paying $110/month for top tier internet (work was paying) but now that I'm on my own, one simple call got us a 12-month promo rate of $66 that included digital phone.  Dropped vonage & saved $80/month for 15 minutes worth of effort.  The rep told me to call every 12 months to get the promo rate reapplied.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 11:18:37 PM »
I just called time warner and did same - was paying $110/month for top tier internet (work was paying) but now that I'm on my own, one simple call got us a 12-month promo rate of $66 that included digital phone.  Dropped vonage & saved $80/month for 15 minutes worth of effort.  The rep told me to call every 12 months to get the promo rate reapplied.

Nice!

theincurableapprentice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • the incurable apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 08:15:16 PM »
congratulations on the savings.  I call verizon and dish every couple months to ask for a lower bill and most of the time it works.  Verizon overall is gut wrenching to open every month - I am waiting for my husband's contract to expire before we both jump ship to Republic Wireless.  Our bill is 139 for two smart phones - I can't wait to get it down in the 50-80 dollar range. 

theincurableapprentice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 08:23:12 PM »
update :)

I pulled the trigger on my phone line and moved to Republic Wireless this week.  I can't wait to see the new Verizon bill with my phone removed.  My new bill is only $30 a month (including taxes.)  YAYYYYYYYYYYY :)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »
update :)

I pulled the trigger on my phone line and moved to Republic Wireless this week.  I can't wait to see the new Verizon bill with my phone removed.  My new bill is only $30 a month (including taxes.)  YAYYYYYYYYYYY :)

Good for you!

I hooked my daughter up with Republic a month ago in a midsized Midwestern city.  She had a few complaints but it's free to her!  I pay just $10.    Will definitely be switching our remaining $144 bill for 3 phones.   It may not be the greatest plan but by saving $114 per month ($1,318 annual,  $100,000 compounded over 30 years!(Bankrate.com calculator))  I think we can handle it!

Thanks for your post and congratulations. 

theincurableapprentice

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 01:47:21 PM »

Good for you!

I hooked my daughter up with Republic a month ago in a midsized Midwestern city.  She had a few complaints but it's free to her!  I pay just $10.    Will definitely be switching our remaining $144 bill for 3 phones.   It may not be the greatest plan but by saving $114 per month ($1,318 annual,  $100,000 compounded over 30 years!(Bankrate.com calculator))  I think we can handle it!

Thanks for your post and congratulations.

I am looking into this option for my mom as well.  She lives in a small town, but will have wireless at home and at work (greater than 90%) of her day most days.  So I am hoping this could be a real possible solution for her.  At $70 a month for her single plan - this would be a great savings.  Now if I could only figure out how to cut the cable cord.... off to do more research in this forum :)

usmarine1975

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »
I cut the Cable Cord almost 20 years ago.  Wasn't making a lot and cable just seemed to expensive.  Probably in the $30 range at that time.  I have never felt jaded by not having it.  My wife has adapted quite well.  We have an antenna for local stations and use netflix for movies etc...  The 2 year old Loves Thomas & Cars and some other good shows.  I was never a sports nut so that was never an issue for me.

Went to Republic about a year ago now.  Our phone bill is 35/month compared to 130/month with 1 dumb phone and a smart phone.  We now both have everything.  Mine is on the 10/month plan as I am usually in wifi range and don't feel the need to be on the internet while driving.  I love it.

Internet was provided by Verizon but they forced us to have a land line.  I have since found a company that provides stand alone internet and guess what NO TAXES on stand alone internet compared to taxes included in the phone bill.  Bill went from 40/month for the lowest everything to 29/month with a faster internet speed.