Author Topic: Update: Installed bathroom fan and Insulated attic: Net Savings $3,000  (Read 1805 times)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
I've been meaning to insulate my attic for a while now.  I needed to get a few things done before this I could finish this.  Originally I was planning on paying someone to install recessed lighting in my living room, bathroom exhaust fan, and insulate my attic.

I previously posted about the living room lights install: 1000 in savings
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/saved-$1000-through-diy-recessed-led-light-fixtures/

I installed a 80cfm bathroom exhaust fan.  The install was quoted at 1200 (give or take 100 from a few different bids).  I did this job myself got around $250.  Total time I have spent so far was about 10 hrs.  I still have to complete the penetration through the roof, which I will complete in the spring: Total savings 900

After completing the two projects I was ready to insulate my attic.  This is the biggest home improvement project I have taken on ever.  I had  this quoted between 4000-5000.  All said and done I spent around 1900 on this project.  This included 300 for a hired hand for some work.  Total time I spent on this project was around 28 hrs over three days.  I still need to weatherstrip the access doors, which should only take a few hours: Total savings 2000.  I will keep this post updated with the ongoing savings this provides me.  Our average heating bill in the winter is around 70$.  And I have to say, yesterday and today had highs of -1 and -5, and I haven't notice my furnace kick on more than once in the past 5 hrs.  Before, it basically would have been running full time with this weather.

So I completed some major projects over the last month and half and I saved around 4,000 over what I would have spent if someone else were to have done it.  The motivation to take on these projects has come directly from MMM blog and this forum.  Before finding this I would have just hired someone to do it.  Now I look at things differently.  I see the quotes from contractors and how much they charge.  I am now starting to think, I don't need to pay someone to do things that I can do.  Even if that means taking some risks and taking the time to learn a new skill.

UPDATE:  I received my first statement after completing my insulation project.  Luckily enough the statement date almost exactly coincided with the project completion date.

December (Pre-insulation): 160 therms (roughly 152 ccf)
Temperature Stats:
Avg High: 20
Avg Low:5
Avg:13

January (Post-insulation): 131 Therms (124 ccf)
Avg High: 18
Avg low: -3
Avg: 8
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:41:52 AM by Cromacster »

fmzip

• Stubble
Re: Installed bathroom fan and Insulated attic: Net Savings $3,000
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
good job!

Seems like a very expensive quote for insulation. Was there none in there? How big was the attic space?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 02:51:20 PM »
Attic space total is about 1440 sqft.  It is a 1 1/2 story which makes the insulating a little more difficult than a standard attic, from what I understand.  $800 of that quote also included sealing the basement rim joists, which I also did.

willn

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 03:29:02 PM »
Great job!  I paid to have insulation put in ours but the SF was much less, I think I paid 900 and ended up fixing some stuff the guy broke in the process.  Comfort and heating costs are much improved.