Author Topic: Unexpected benefits from slashing costs  (Read 5009 times)

ChoicesChoices

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Unexpected benefits from slashing costs
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »
I came to MMM just a couple months ago. I loved what I have read. And like so many others, I started to make changes. June was declared a no-eating-out month at our house as that was the out-of-control area for me. This included no more coffee shop hangin out with my 14-year-old (something we both loved), no more runs to the co-op for cookies, no more smoothies at dutch bros or ice cream at dq, and no more "I'm too tired, had too long of a day, didn't plan for dinner" eating out.  We did it! And more importantly the following things were gained:

- kids (11 and 14) had fun, yes, fun coming up with creative alternatives (like baking our own cookies, making our own smoothies' etc., hangin at the library)
- 14 yr old now is loving being responsible for one night a week dinner (finding the recipe, going shopping for ingredients, putting it together, serving it, taking 11 yr old's tastes into consideration)
- I rekindled my love of cooking, and teaching my kids to cook and bake. I really needed the creative outlet!
- kids have done lots of math with comparison shopping, and have a blast finding the deals, or finding the fake deals
- it saves so much time to be prepared with meals planned, ingredients on hand

oh yeah, and despite a 20% increase in the grocery bill, we saved a boatload! (I'm too embarrassed to say what out eating out run rate has been).

The best thing of all is that no one felt deprived; in fact we all voted to keep it up!

As an interesting tangent, we have decided to re-purpose the living room (rarely used but open floor plan to the kitchen ) as a "homework" room once school starts again, so that while I'm cooking, I can help with homework or projects more easily if needed. This because the kids had so much fun in June hanging out with me and talking about the day while I was cooking.

So there's my save money and improve quality of life anecdote. More to come as we have only just started.

Hey Mrs. MM - just finished cooking a batch of Bolognese sauce from scratch.  Thought of you while I was doing it...wondered if you wouldn't like it a lot given your diet. Freezes really well. Junior MM might love it; my finicky boy does.

later everyone!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
Re: Unexpected benefits from slashing costs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:05:26 PM »
Wow, awesome!  So cool that your kids are in on it too, and that your 14 yo is even cooking!  Way to set them up to be future badass mustachians!  Any particular tips or tricks that helped you make the transition? 

(And I know the feeling about being embarrassed to post how much you spend on eating out.  We've reformed somewhat but are not as badass as you!)

ChoicesChoices

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:17:44 PM »
Thanks for the e-cheer Olivia! Regarding your question about tips for the transition, for me the key was actually to have no transition. The way my justifying, excuse-making mind works, there was no way but cold turkey on this one. Made it really clean.

I will say that for the kids, I didn't want them to feel deprived. So like I mentioned, they could still have cookies, we just made them. They could still have Italian cream sodas, we just made them. We discovered that we could make excellent iced chai tea lattes for 53 cents! They can still have ice cream and they've discovered they can get more of it when it comes from the grocery store.

For me it was just about planning...that way when I was feeling like a whinypants, I had some quick dinner food handy. I knew that was going to be the key for me. 

thanks for asking!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 06:38:57 PM »
Thanks for the e-cheer Olivia! Regarding your question about tips for the transition, for me the key was actually to have no transition. The way my justifying, excuse-making mind works, there was no way but cold turkey on this one. Made it really clean.

I will say that for the kids, I didn't want them to feel deprived. So like I mentioned, they could still have cookies, we just made them. They could still have Italian cream sodas, we just made them. We discovered that we could make excellent iced chai tea lattes for 53 cents! They can still have ice cream and they've discovered they can get more of it when it comes from the grocery store.

For me it was just about planning...that way when I was feeling like a whinypants, I had some quick dinner food handy. I knew that was going to be the key for me. 

thanks for asking!

That makes sense, I'm a cold turkey type, myself.  We just need to take the plunge, and then stick with it!  Planning is definitely my downfall, followed closely by eating out with friends!  I'm going to plan out the week right now...I have a ton of recipes I want to try.  Have you checked out BudgetBytes.com?  It came up in another thread, and they have some awesome recipes.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »
That is so cool that your kids are really involved in the savings plan!
I will say, getting them hooked on cooking from scratch and figuring out how to get the best deals now is going to serve them well for the rest of their lives.

You're really doing a wonderful job! :)

ChoicesChoices

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 08:17:45 PM »
@Olivia: I bumped into that site yesterday. Looked good. I have trouble tracking/organizing all the cool blog sites out there. It is a little overwhelming.

@Frankies Girl: thanks so much for the feedback! I'm a bit nervous as I haven't done much blog posting before. (like that @...is it proper to respond to multiple people in one post? I think it is, but not sure I did it right.) this is a whole new thing!

I feel like I could contribute a lot. Just trying to find the right place to do it.

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:19:53 PM »
Congratulations!  That's a heck of a way to start :)

Great job on involving your kids.  Like pps have said, that's going to serve them well in the future!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:49:59 AM »

As an interesting tangent, we have decided to re-purpose the living room (rarely used but open floor plan to the kitchen ) as a "homework" room once school starts again, so that while I'm cooking, I can help with homework or projects more easily if needed. This because the kids had so much fun in June hanging out with me and talking about the day while I was cooking.

So there's my save money and improve quality of life anecdote. More to come as we have only just started.

That is so awesome and sweet!  It's amazing how doing more at home (making food together and eating it, instead of driving in the car and eating food made my someone else) can bring you closer to your family.  I'm sure your kids will really appreciate both the time they got to spend with you doing those things, and the skills you're teaching them that they'll have forever.

Way to go!! :)