Author Topic: Ubuntu !!  (Read 9672 times)

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Ubuntu !!
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 11:27:29 AM »
Thanks @ketchup , good to know!   My computer has =>>      Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz × 8

Yeah, I just upgraded away from that very platform a few months ago. I had it almost 9 years (which is crazy long for me!). The CPU is indeed just fine for general computing and even moderate gaming (GPU is much more important), but most of the I/O on that generation of chipset/mobo is extremely obsolete. Only USB 2, SATA II only, ancient PCI Express, no m.2 or u.2 or any other modern storage interface, etc.

Regardless of what benchmarks say, real world CPU performance has leveled off in the last decade for anything but high end gaming or high end multi-threaded computation tasks (think professional scientific work, not MS Excel).

Welcome to the world of Linux.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2018, 10:20:41 AM »
Yeah, I just upgraded away from that very platform a few months ago. I had it almost 9 years (which is crazy long for me!). The CPU is indeed just fine for general computing and even moderate gaming (GPU is much more important), but most of the I/O on that generation of chipset/mobo is extremely obsolete. Only USB 2, SATA II only, ancient PCI Express, no m.2 or u.2 or any other modern storage interface, etc.
Upgraded interfaces only benefit you if you have devices to attach to them. SATA II is not a bottleneck if you're just attaching a single hard drive, but if you connect a SSD with a faster interface and have enough disk activity, you'll notice a different
Regardless of what benchmarks say, real world CPU performance has leveled off in the last decade for anything but high end gaming or high end multi-threaded computation tasks (think professional scientific work, not MS Excel).
Excel can make use of multi-threaded computation. I've seen noticeable performance gains when adding subtotals or vlookup functions to recordsets with tens of thousands of entries when I upgraded from dual core to quad core, of course I don't encounter it often enough to justify the upgrade.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2018, 11:43:09 PM »
Installed the latest version of Ubuntu MATE on a brand new SSD and slotted it in to my old MacBook Pro recently.

It certainly runs better than OSX did, lately OSX would spike CPU usage and spin up the fans for even basic web browsing. It's an old Core 2 Duo T9400.

There's still some quirks I need to sort out (such as having a standardised copy-paste keyboard shortcut and improving the trackpad), but overall it's working well and I'm happy.

As someone who misses the old iPhoto (why oh why did you replace it Apple? Photos is inferior), Shotwell is awesome. Not having two libraries on my system probably saves a tonne of space too.

Many things that used to require futzing around in the CLI in the early Ubuntu versions I was using back in the day seem to be automatic now.

I'm only using a fraction of the 8GB of RAM in this machine. Weirdly it shows up as 7.5GB of RAM, but I'm currently using the dedicated graphics. Perhaps it's allocating some of the RAM for the integrated GPU that's also in this machine.

Still got my old SSD with OSX on it for now sitting aside.

I used to use about 80-90GB on my OSX install. Now with all photos and documents on there (and I'm planning on sorting through the photos at one stage), the total amount of space on the SSD used is 36GB, including 25GB of photos/video.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:12:07 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2018, 05:37:58 AM »
Just updated my ThinkPad T420 to Ubuntu 18.04.  Relatively painless
after I removed some custom apps installed via PPAs.  The T420's are
built like tanks.  Mine are running fast with 8GB RAM, quad core, and
SSD storage.

I replaced the default desktop environment with a tiling window manager
(initially Xmonad, now i3) and find it very productive.