Author Topic: True Cost App - How much of your life does it cost?  (Read 4267 times)

shjibby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
True Cost App - How much of your life does it cost?
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:01:25 PM »
Like most Mustachians, when faced with a potential purchase, I like to think about how much of my life I'd have to commit to it.

A little while back, I wanted to try my hand at an Android app. I thought a calculator that was a bit more accurate than my mental math might be a good place to start.

When I got something working, I found the app a useful medium to communicate the shocking results to those who do not yet share our Mustachian views. So, I decided to clean it up and release it.

Anyway, here it is: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.costconfusion.truecost

I'd welcome any feedback. But, feature requests will sit at a priority lower than my day job, wife, and two little ones. Enjoy!

frompa

• Bristles
Re: True Cost App - How much of your life does it cost?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 08:37:09 AM »
Nice idea, a la YMOYL.  I downloaded it and will use it over the next week, will let you know.  Thanks!

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 10:52:13 AM »
Fix the $ sign on the first page...it covers the amount you enter.

You also need a page that tells you how to use the app.

shjibby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 06:40:10 PM »
Hmm, haven't seen that on any device so far. What device and Android version? Do you have a screenshot?

I agree. I threw in a couple help tooltips, but when I get some time I'd love to add a wizard for initial setup and walkthrough. Maybe a single help page that explains things would be a good stopgap.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 06:53:40 PM »
Hmm, haven't seen that on any device so far. What device and Android version? Do you have a screenshot?

I agree. I threw in a couple help tooltips, but when I get some time I'd love to add a wizard for initial setup and walkthrough. Maybe a single help page that explains things would be a good stopgap.

I was using my old galaxy s2 to view it. It  says android verison 4.0.4 - idk if that is what you are asking. (I don't know how to screenshot - something hold down the power key whatever.)

I have no idea where the help tooltips was ....never saw it.

I think a walkthrough is perfect.

This app seems like a novelty app. More like download it, see some numbers then delete. Is that what you planned it for?

shjibby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »
This app seems like a novelty app. More like download it, see some numbers then delete. Is that what you planned it for?

I honestly don't have much of a plan for it. My main purpose in creating it was to play around with Android and run the gauntlet of releasing an app.

The true cost idea was just something that sounded more interesting than "Hello, world!".

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 08:19:10 PM »

I honestly don't have much of a plan for it. My main purpose in creating it was to play around with Android and run the gauntlet of releasing an app.

The true cost idea was just something that sounded more interesting than "Hello, world!".

just wondering. good job

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 12:51:07 AM »
I like it, although I am also getting the UI error of the dollar sign covering the amount. Probably something to do with the old android I'm using?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 09:30:02 PM »
Thanks for this. I'm looking to get into app development, any useful resources you recommend?

shjibby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 09:53:55 AM »

I like it, although I am also getting the UI error of the dollar sign covering the amount. Probably something to do with the old android I'm using?

Thanks for pointing that out. I identified the problem on Android versions lower than 4.2. v1.02 of the app is rolling out this morning and should have the fix.

shjibby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 10:09:09 AM »
Thanks for this. I'm looking to get into app development, any useful resources you recommend?

I just started with the Android developer guides: http://developer.android.com/training/index.html. When I ran into issues, I looked for answers on stack overflow. With those two resources, I was able to hack something together. If you already have some background writing software, those will get you going.

If you're trying to learn how to code and starting with an app, I don't have a good recommendation. Maybe someone else does. Good luck!