Author Topic: Trees!  (Read 5902 times)

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
Trees!
« on: May 28, 2017, 07:48:23 PM »
Did NOT spend $580 on a tree trimming service for some overgrown trees and other cleanup on some damaged limbs.   5 hours with my beloved Stihl chainsaw is over $100 an hour in return.  And some quality time with my oldest daughter (who now knows how to run a chainsaw) was priceless!

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
Re: Trees!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »
Depends on the size of the project. Three years ago I bought a foreclosed home, totally overgrown, empty for four years. I paid a five-man crew $900 and they spent four hours unleashing hell. 20 man hours. Chipper, etc. No way in hell I could have tackled it. I put on a pair of ear protectors and watched. The entertainment value alone was worth $100. I had other estimates as high as $3,000.

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 08:55:39 PM »
Always get multiple estimates. I have a 36-48" wide downed tree (250-300 year old red oak). No way can I take that apart myself safely. Turns out the fanciest tree service is the one that can do it for the least. I wouldn't have thought. Crazy!

bigdoug03

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:31:26 PM »
That depends. I had a limb fall down last week and I am going to pay somebody to take it the rest of the way down. The height, and the way it's hanging mean there is no safe way for me to do it myself.

I have known several people that were seriously injured trying to trim trees without the proper equipment or knowledge.

Fore sure if it's a limb on the ground or something you can be confident doing safely then do it! Just remember it's more important to be safe than to save a few bucks!

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 08:32:09 AM »
Did NOT spend $580 on a tree trimming service for some overgrown trees and other cleanup on some damaged limbs.   5 hours with my beloved Stihl chainsaw is over $100 an hour in return.  And some quality time with my oldest daughter (who now knows how to run a chainsaw) was priceless!

Please be sure anyone operating a chain saw is using proper PPE including; chaps, hearing protection, full face shield and helmet.
A chain saw is one of the most potentially dangerous tools you will ever pick up.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 11:28:53 AM »
^Yup!^ we have a large pine on an upslope, adjacent to a V-ditch, with no easy access. We're paying someone with insurance to take it out safely. Of course, his price is excellent, primarily because we said he could do the job whenever he wanted. Still waiting...

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 11:33:18 AM »
I love trees. And chainsaws.

Such internal conflict.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »

Such internal conflict.

LOL, my friend.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »

Such internal conflict.

I hear that!  I'm pretty in touch with nature and am a contact at my work for anything environmentally related everyone expects me to be some kind of hippie bunny lover the first time they meet me.  Yet I worked on a timber crew in college and have a small timber/sawmill operation I run on the side and am an avid hunter.

DangleStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »

Please be sure anyone operating a chain saw is using proper PPE including; chaps, hearing protection, full face shield and helmet.
A chain saw is one of the most potentially dangerous tools you will ever pick up.
[/quote]

I second this.  People think jeans will protect them... Hint, they will not.  As a bare minimum, wear chaps and glasses every time you touch the chainsaw.  Shield/helmet/hearing protection is also important but sometimes you're just making one or two cuts on a downed limb.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 05:15:21 AM »

I second this.  People think jeans will protect them... Hint, they will not.  As a bare minimum, wear chaps and glasses every time you touch the chainsaw.  Shield/helmet/hearing protection is also important but sometimes you're just making one or two cuts on a downed limb.
[/quote]

For one or two cuts on a downed limb, what is wrong with a bow saw?  Still need protection, but the risk isn't as high.  Less prep/cleanup time too.  Plus grows better biceps and triceps.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 05:19:58 PM »
I'd do it if I could, but the neighbor's trees on both sides are 5 to 6 stories tall.  I don't think I'd be able to handle, as I took my daughter to the county fair yesterday and freaked the fuck out on a Ferris wheel purporting to be 7 stories tall.