Author Topic: Tree Stump Removal $$$  (Read 7791 times)

sassy1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Tree Stump Removal $$$
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
Hi,
I just received a few quotes to have 5 tree stumps and 1 tree removed.  Holy cow!  Well over $2,500. 

I am now renting a stump grinder and making a fun weekend project out of it.  As for the tall tree, I will have to have a professional take it down.  But I am still saving a lot. 

Tree stump removal tips are appreciated. 
Sassy 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Tree Stump Removal $$$
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:42:53 PM »

The stump grinder sounds fun. 

But personally, this is how I deal with tree stumps:  Wait.

We have a whole lot of them.  We jokingly named our land "The Stump Farm" when we bought it.  It had been logged by a previous owner.  In particular, if they are soft woods, they really only take about 2-3 years to start to disintegrate.  Even some of our hard wood stumps are going at about that speed.  (But to be fair, there's also one I cut 10 years ago that is just barely starting to break down.)

There is a product called "Stump rot" as well.  (I don't advise you to buy it.  Read on.)  The instructions on it are something like this:  Drill holes all over the surface of the stump.  Sprinkle Stump Rot on the stump.  Wait 6 months to a year.  Douse stump in diesel fuel.  Set on fire.

Now: If you followed those directions and left off the "sprinkle" portion... I am pretty sure it would work just as well.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »
WE hired a guy off of Cl who brought a machine over and did it for 300.  Way cheaper then having a tree company do it.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »
But personally, this is how I deal with tree stumps:  Wait.

Well played. Of course, depending on your climate, it can take 3 years or 300 years.

Much of landscaping can be done by any able bodied person and the mark-up is absurd but entirely justified when you examine the costs of doing business. I decided to quickly abandon firewood cutting after realizing how slim the margins are. There are some tasks such as tree climbing and directional felling that I feel very comfortable with though would advise others to pay for. I have dropped an 80 footer on a yurt once when I was 22 but the yurt was unscathed!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 02:35:09 PM »
Neighbor burned a stump, and that worked out pretty well. He had to be a little sneaky, though, since that kind of thing isn't really allowed in our city limits.I believe gasoline was involved. Funny thing was it wasn't even his stump. It was very close to his yard, though, and had bugged him for years. Owners moved out of the house and made it a rental, so neighbor took the opportunity...

CATman

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 11:22:26 PM »
I've had numerous family members with farms who's favorite tree removal technique involved black power. I'm sure it's wildly unsafe and probably illegal in most places, but I bet it's fun to watch.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 12:33:26 PM »
I've had numerous family members with farms who's favorite tree removal technique involved black power. I'm sure it's wildly unsafe and probably illegal in most places, but I bet it's fun to watch.
Is that where the stump drinks at any water fountain it wants and then marches on Washington?

Heywood57

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:40:36 PM »
If the stumps are dry  ..
Drill a few 1 inch diameter holes in the stump a few inches deep.
Fill the holes with diesel fuel daily for a couple weeks.
Finally use some gasoline and light it on fire.
A few days later when the fire is out, fill the hole.
Total cost, less than $10

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »

Does this smoke for a few days?  If you live on an urban lot would your neighbors get annoyed and call the fire department as a result of this method?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 12:48:31 PM »
We went with the wait method of stump removal.  We moved and it wasn't our problem anymore :)

Rather than pay the $3-5k quote to have the tree removed, I traded a stack of old magazines I wanted to get rid of that a neighbor really wanted. He cut the tree down safely, but then it was up to us to get rid of it. We cut it into fire wood.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »

Does this smoke for a few days?  If you live on an urban lot would your neighbors get annoyed and call the fire department as a result of this method?

It depends on whether burning is a property right codified by the state, state regulations, whether the state allows local authorities to regulate and what those regulations are. Regulations range from none, notification, filing a plan, the material combusting, proximity to sensitive receptors, certification, down to outright bans. For example, I have burned in the middle of a city and it only took a call to the city FD as a proper notification.

It reminded me of my parent's exurban property in a state where reasonable open-air burning is a property right that cannot be taken away by local authorities such as HOAs. We only had to consider meteorological conditions, maintain presence, and no burning after dark.
Anyway, the neighbors always complain about burning and ask that the persistent burn scar has to be revegetated. And yet, limbs and down trees always conveniently end up right over the property line on my parent's property...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:35:32 PM by JZinCO »

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »
If it's shaded and the right type of tree you could probably grow mushrooms on it.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 01:09:24 PM »
We ended up taking care of our stump this weekend.  No special equipment or chemicals used, instead we took turns hitting it with an axe for about 20 minutes.  I have to go and vacuum out the hole, and then will probably hit it for another 20 minutes.  Bye-bye stump!  It was already part way rotted, so that may have made it easier, but I don't think this was a huge factor.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 01:26:02 PM »
We ended up taking care of our stump this weekend.  No special equipment or chemicals used, instead we took turns hitting it with an axe for about 20 minutes.  I have to go and vacuum out the hole, and then will probably hit it for another 20 minutes.  Bye-bye stump!  It was already part way rotted, so that may have made it easier, but I don't think this was a huge factor.

I also got tired of the waiting game and used the axe method. It took quite a bit more than 20 minutes, especially when you include the digging to make sure I wasn't chopping soil and rocks. But it was really good workout, and it was fun watching my neighbours thinking I was crazy, but being Norwegians they couldn't tell me that to my face.

Geek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 08:36:40 PM »
I hear planting squash in the stump will make it rot super quickly. And you get squash later in the year. If you can wait a year, it seems worth a try.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 06:24:39 AM »

I also got tired of the waiting game and used the axe method. It took quite a bit more than 20 minutes, especially when you include the digging to make sure I wasn't chopping soil and rocks. But it was really good workout, and it was fun watching my neighbours thinking I was crazy, but being Norwegians they couldn't tell me that to my face.

lol we bought the lot next to us that had an old pos house on it and lots of trees. I've been over there in the evenings and weekends trying to clean it up. I've chopped out several stumps and busted up a concrete patio with a big as sledge hammer. I'm sure people think i am crazy. it's not always a bad thing to let people think you are crazy ;).

I do like the squash idea though geek I may have to try that with the two BIG stumps.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 07:03:24 AM »
How much of that price was tree removal vs the stump part?

My neighbor was having stumps out. I went and talked to the friendly stump man. Said I had a few stumps while he was out. He took out 3 for me for $50. Best $50 I ever spent.

Tree dropping is a good DIY project as long as it's not too close to your house or powerlines.....

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 11:49:15 AM »
I hear planting squash in the stump will make it rot super quickly. And you get squash later in the year. If you can wait a year, it seems worth a try.
Interesting idea!  I've got a couple of stumps (I, too, am in the waiting school) that I might try this with.

mjones1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »
I always just cut a few notches in both directions, forming a criss cross pattern with my chain saw. It really exposes the stump to the elements and rots to nothing in about 9-12 months.

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 05:39:44 PM »
On your tree removal, make sure to ask if you can save any money if they don't have to remove the pieces.  I saved quite a bit of money doing that and then I took a picture and put it on Craigslist for free.  Within 2 days a guy came and chopped it all up and took it away.  Or you can chop it up for yourself and use it for your fireplace if you have one. 

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 08:39:54 AM »
We removed a large tree due to a hollow trunk.  Fill it up with soil and use it as a planter!

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 03:45:34 PM »
We have a grass parking area and it has two stumps, the previous owners of my house let flipping trees grow in what should be turned into a garage. Anyways, a guy I work with parks his car in my parking area as he takes the train (house is close to the train station) into work and drives over the stumps as they are at ground level. Probably not good for his tires, but it is destroying the stumps.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 11:06:49 AM »

It depends on whether burning is a property right codified by the state, state regulations, whether the state allows local authorities to regulate and what those regulations are. Regulations range from none, notification, filing a plan, the material combusting, proximity to sensitive receptors, certification, down to outright bans. For example, I have burned in the middle of a city and it only took a call to the city FD as a proper notification.

It reminded me of my parent's exurban property in a state where reasonable open-air burning is a property right that cannot be taken away by local authorities such as HOAs. We only had to consider meteorological conditions, maintain presence, and no burning after dark.
Anyway, the neighbors always complain about burning and ask that the persistent burn scar has to be revegetated. And yet, limbs and down trees always conveniently end up right over the property line on my parent's property...

JZ, Did you do this in Fort Collins?  I have a stump I need to remove and this sounds like a good approach.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 12:10:13 PM »
I had a dead tree that I was going to fell myself, but I couldn't do it safely because of proximity to 20.8KV powerlines overhead.

While thinking about this, the power company were out in my road trimming back trees (one advantage to being FIRED and home all day).. I went out and talked to the Foreman and asked his opinion.

Oh yeah, we can do that if you take care of the wood cus it will dull our chipper blades.. Its leaning towards the power lines, not safe!.. one hour later tree was taken down using their boom truck.. The guys took the firewood and I scooped up the branches on the forks I made for the tractor bucket.

One monster fire later, no tree.. cost $zero...:)

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 01:43:02 PM »
JZ, Did you do this in Fort Collins?  I have a stump I need to remove and this sounds like a good approach.
Nope. Colorado is not a 'right to burn' state.
Burning "Yard waste" which I interpret stumps to fall into, is prohibited by city/county/Poudre Fire codes. In fact all open burns are.
However, 'contained' recreational and cooking fires are acceptable. Perhaps, you could scrape around the stump to bare soil, put some rocks or blocks around the edges and set a metal BBQ screen on top of the stump.
:)

I would not recommend this approach however. I know others have done it, but roots (given their interface with the soil) have higher moisture content than dead and downed wood. That means, the stump could smolder for a long time and the coarse root channels as well. Believe me, I have mopped up stump holes in wildland fires. That involves digging a 10' wide pit, three' down and mixing mud to extinguish coarse rots.
Even if you wait until a day before the snow flies to light the stump, smoldering roots (and the surrounding soil) can hold heat through the winter.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:50:46 PM by JZinCO »

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »
I had a dead tree that I was going to fell myself, but I couldn't do it safely because of proximity to 20.8KV powerlines overhead.

While thinking about this, the power company were out in my road trimming back trees (one advantage to being FIRED and home all day).. I went out and talked to the Foreman and asked his opinion.

Oh yeah, we can do that if you take care of the wood cus it will dull our chipper blades.. Its leaning towards the power lines, not safe!.. one hour later tree was taken down using their boom truck.. The guys took the firewood and I scooped up the branches on the forks I made for the tractor bucket.

As a guy who works for the power company I would consider that a win on both sides. Normally we get "WHAT! you can't trim that tree my great great grand-pappy planted that tree after he got home from the first world war."I get it I love the trees I have in my yard. However none of mine are growing into the power lines. Any time somebody is willing to haul off the brush for us and gives us permission to take a tree all the way down we love it. Then we don't have to come back in a few years and do it again.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
Nope. Colorado is not a 'right to burn' state.
Burning "Yard waste" which I interpret stumps to fall into, is prohibited by city/county/Poudre Fire codes. In fact all open burns are.
However, 'contained' recreational and cooking fires are acceptable. Perhaps, you could scrape around the stump to bare soil, put some rocks or blocks around the edges and set a metal BBQ screen on top of the stump.
:)

I would not recommend this approach however. I know others have done it, but roots (given their interface with the soil) have higher moisture content than dead and downed wood. That means, the stump could smolder for a long time and the coarse root channels as well. Believe me, I have mopped up stump holes in wildland fires. That involves digging a 10' wide pit, three' down and mixing mud to extinguish coarse rots.
Even if you wait until a day before the snow flies to light the stump, smoldering roots (and the surrounding soil) can hold heat through the winter.

Thanks JZ.  I suspected that.  Good to talk to another mustacian in FoCo though!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »

I had the opposite happen.  Big ass 80 ft tall dead pine tree right by power lines.  I called the power company out.  The guy looked at it, took out a tape measure, measured the distance to the power lines and said "nope.  It isn't close enough."  He left.

The very next storm, it blew over, took out the power line, the cable line and one telephone pole.  They had to come out in the rain, cut it up, pull it off the road, put in new lines and a new pole with lightning overhead.

I thought about going down there just to say "I told you so" ... but opted not to.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 05:12:30 PM »

I had the opposite happen.  Big ass 80 ft tall dead pine tree right by power lines.  I called the power company out.  The guy looked at it, took out a tape measure, measured the distance to the power lines and said "nope.  It isn't close enough."  He left.

The very next storm, it blew over, took out the power line, the cable line and one telephone pole.  They had to come out in the rain, cut it up, pull it off the road, put in new lines and a new pole with lightning overhead.

I thought about going down there just to say "I told you so" ... but opted not to.

Good job they didn't give you the bill because YOUR tree took out THEIR powerline...:)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2016, 01:53:16 PM »

Good job they didn't give you the bill because YOUR tree took out THEIR powerline...:)

The thought did occur to me.

I have no idea if that sort of charge is normal.  But around here they string every electrical line above ground.  Trees are generally 2x the height of the power lines (or more).  What hasn't been bulldozed is forest.  Trees on lines is very common.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!