Author Topic: Total Annual Beverage Cost Under $100  (Read 9808 times)

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
Total Annual Beverage Cost Under $100
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
Total Annual Beverage Cost Under $100!

I just observed my daughter’s beverage spending habits for the last week.  (the one in the Master’s program who earns $1,200 a month and is in 60K of student loan debts)

She spent about $70 on beverages in the week.  This is probably average for her.  About $40 of that was on bottled water and fancy pants coffees and convenience store drinks.  Another $30 is on weekend party fancy pants alcohol beverages.

In the same time frame I spent zero dollars on water, (I’m on a well),  25 cents on tea, (I buy $1 boxes of 100 bags at Wal-Mart) and $1.75 on a quarter bottle of Vodka. (mixed with ice and water).   My weekly total was $2.00.  I could get this to zero if I so desired but I'm drawing the line on the tea and Vodka. 

Her annual spending = about $3,600.  Her lifetime spending = about $225,000 (that's a house!)

My annual spending = about $100.    My lifetime spending = about $6,000 (that's still a used car!)

Effectively she is spending the equivalent of 2 all inclusive, week long, vacations to Cancun per year on her instant gratification habits.   In her case this is equal to 25% of her annual income!   Mine is about .2% of my annual income.

Do small spending decisions make a difference?   Hell yes!

theonethatgotaway

Re: Total Annual Beverage Cost Under $100
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:35:36 AM »
How old is your daughter? Have you not bought tea or coffee or drinks out?

I get what you're saying about frequent drinks purchases, which are mostly unnecessary.

Have you pointed it out to her? How did she take it? She's still in grad school.

While it's not optimal by any means- I've seen hundreds of my friends do the same, including myself. Change takes time and it sounds like she's pretty busy studying! Hopefully with her masters education under her belt she'll be able to cover those smaller purchases easier if she wishes and has room to spare to retire really early!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
How old is your daughter? Have you not bought tea or coffee or drinks out?

I get what you're saying about frequent drinks purchases, which are mostly unnecessary.

Have you pointed it out to her? How did she take it? She's still in grad school.

While it's not optimal by any means- I've seen hundreds of my friends do the same, including myself. Change takes time and it sounds like she's pretty busy studying! Hopefully with her masters education under her belt she'll be able to cover those smaller purchases easier if she wishes and has room to spare to retire really early!

Daughter is 22.  Not gonna even try to change her.  Her fund had 60K in it at the start of college, all under her control.  (not my choice)  She borrowed another 60K.  She lives a pretty nice lifestyle,  travels often, dines out lots, even bragged she hadn't been to a McDonalds for 5 years.  (too beneath her).   

She has no thought or intent on retiring and the idea of saving money has never entered her head.  She thinks I'm cheap even though I pay for her cell phone play toy and her car insurance.   

I must admit that I occasionally buy adult drinks on an outing perhaps once per month on average but I can't really remember the last time I bought a bottled water.

I'll make it a point this next year to track this particular line item and shoot for the less than $100 target this year.   I have pretty much figured out how to carry bottles and refill them.   In fact, I grew up in a time before bottled water was even a concept and was amazed that people would pay for them!

Thanks for your reply.   You may tell by my tone that my daughter's behavior is a bit frustrating.   She has one more year of free phone and insurance according to her mom and then she is on her own!

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »
Daughter is 22.  Not gonna even try to change her.  Her fund had 60K in it at the start of college, all under her control.  (not my choice)  She borrowed another 60K.  She lives a pretty nice lifestyle,  travels often, dines out lots, even bragged she hadn't been to a McDonalds for 5 years.  (too beneath her).   

She has no thought or intent on retiring and the idea of saving money has never entered her head.  She thinks I'm cheap even though I pay for her cell phone play toy and her car insurance.   

I must admit that I occasionally buy adult drinks on an outing perhaps once per month on average but I can't really remember the last time I bought a bottled water.

I'll make it a point this next year to track this particular line item and shoot for the less than $100 target this year.   I have pretty much figured out how to carry bottles and refill them.   In fact, I grew up in a time before bottled water was even a concept and was amazed that people would pay for them!

Thanks for your reply.   You may tell by my tone that my daughter's behavior is a bit frustrating.   She has one more year of free phone and insurance according to her mom and then she is on her own!

Your daughter and I can at least agree on McDonald's ;-).

I'm sure there are reasons for this that you did not post (the whole 'according to her mom' thing makes it sound like it's out of your hands), but I'd be damn sure to not pay for someone's cell phone or car insurance who has these money ideas like your daughter. No offense, but unless I was stuck doing it somehow I think this is only enabling poor behavior.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
Impressive. I'm closer to $500/year for beer/wine and maybe $200/year for everything else like coffee, milk, etc.

When I was 22 I could see spending $30-40/week on beer. A lot of parties back then.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 12:52:13 PM »

Your daughter and I can at least agree on McDonald's ;-).

I'm sure there are reasons for this that you did not post (the whole 'according to her mom' thing makes it sound like it's out of your hands), but I'd be damn sure to not pay for someone's cell phone or car insurance who has these money ideas like your daughter. No offense, but unless I was stuck doing it somehow I think this is only enabling poor behavior.

Thanks for reading between the lines!

Mom is not great at math or the queen of frugality either, but that's a whole nother post! lol

My intent here was to show a real world example of how small purchases and spending decisions can really add up to significant money. 

You hear so much about how cutting out Starbucks won't really save you that much money,  but in my small world $3,500 a year is considered big money.

It's even bigger when you consider we have 7 children.  What if each of them (some do, some don't) spent that much on beverages and then my wife and I did too (my wife is about half that).  That would be 32K per year!   

I make damn sure my 7 year old and 12 year olds don't spend money like that.   They already know water is the rule.  An occasional soda is a treat and not a daily occurrence.   

The adult kids vary in their money handling ability.   Some are better than others.  None are Mustachians just like the rest of the world isn't.   

For me water and tea are the healthiest beverages of choice.  Some readers here probably spend money on juice, milk, wine or a host of other beverages.   None of them are as cheap as good old tap water.   Many of them are detrimental to your health.

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »
Impressive. I'm closer to $500/year for beer/wine and maybe $200/year for everything else like coffee, milk, etc.

When I was 22 I could see spending $30-40/week on beer. A lot of parties back then.

Good to hear from you Chedder Stacker!   Of course you know I was BSing a little on the beer part for dramatic purposes.   I will now admit before the world that I do spend a little money on beer but never ever on Red Bull, Monster Energy or anything with a Starbucks label!  lol

The point remains that small purchases on items that should be considered luxuries can really add up. 

I bet if we tracked beverages as a budget line item we would be impressed at how much we actually spend.   I'm going to add this as a separate category for a while to see just what my reality is. 

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »
I started drinking water only (with the occasional beer) about 6 years ago. I would guess my savings from this are pretty damn sweet, but I have not bothered to calculate. Kudos to you for keeping costs down in that realm. It also helps health, too!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
I started drinking water only (with the occasional beer) about 6 years ago. I would guess my savings from this are pretty damn sweet, but I have not bothered to calculate. Kudos to you for keeping costs down in that realm. It also helps health, too!

Now that is badass!     

So in the last 6 years vs. my daughter you have saved something like 21,000!

Truly awesome and an example of how the small things really do add up.  I really wouldn't spread sheet it if your that tight.   I think I will break out beverages on my grocery budget though so I am sure not to fool myself with this one.   (My wife seems to think that paper towels are groceries!  lol)

By the way,  I'm 54.  If you keep up your water only policy till then you will have around $800,000 more invested dollars than my daughter will!   Not bad for one seemingly small thing.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 03:16:49 PM »
I don't eat at McDonalds. Not because it is beneath me, but because it is unhealthy. My health is a LOT more important than $5 you can save at lunch. A guy dying in his sickbed won't be happy he had $5.

Now as to your daughter: It seems like you are letting money destroy your relationship with her. It is good you are frugal. But you only get 1 shot at a bond with your daughter. Don't blow it over money, just present a good model for her. If she is meant to, she will choose it when she matures.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
Show her what a difference it makes then cut her cell phone and insurance until she proves that she is managing her money well. Maybe put a carrot out there to help her pay down her loans if she improves. It's a hard lesson, but a better one to learn when you are 22 than 32, 42, 52, or 62 and don't have anything to show for it.   I view my job as a parent is to prepare my children for the real world, not to be their friend.  If they end up my friend, great!  I'm sure this is much harder for divorced couples. Keep preaching!  One of these days she will look back and say, "Dad was right all along". 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 06:25:17 PM »
I've gotten my beaver cost down to maybe $20/year.  I don't know why you guys need more than one beaver per decade, TBH.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »
You're so right, I'm buying too many beavers. I really should cut back but I can't help myself and I don't know how you find such inexpensive ones.

grover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »
I don't eat at McDonalds. Not because it is beneath me, but because it is unhealthy. My health is a LOT more important than $5 you can save at lunch. A guy dying in his sickbed won't be happy he had $5.

Now as to your daughter: It seems like you are letting money destroy your relationship with her. It is good you are frugal. But you only get 1 shot at a bond with your daughter. Don't blow it over money, just present a good model for her. If she is meant to, she will choose it when she matures.

I agree with this. Your tone in talking about your daughter is that she is not intelligent, has bad priorities, and is wasteful. I won't weigh in on that but your tone makes you look as bad as her. As she's only 22, as her father you had a hand in influencing and raising her. It's frustrating for me to read someone basically calling their daughter stupid online. And how you describe your wife as well ... dude, you sound like an example of pennywise and pound foolish.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »
You need to compound interest on those numbers. That 225k over a lifetime will be in the millions.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 04:26:04 AM »
We burn through around $5/month on bottled water (by the 5 gallon jug, including delivery fee).  But we also drink milk and juice at home so that runs up costs quite a bit.  I'd guess we are closer to $30/mo with those included, so way over $100/yr.  We only drink water when we dine out, and no coffees or alcohol.  I drink free coffee, juice, water and even soda at work.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 08:02:56 AM »

You are right,  my relationship with daughter is strained over money.  Don't know what to do about it.  I think the chance of her changing is near zero and mom won't go the tough love route so it has created friction between spouse and I. 

Wish I had saved and invested wisely for all my adult life and money wasn't such a big deal at this point (age 54), but can't go back in time.   

This post is giving me an opportunity to evaluate our situation and perhaps come up with a solution. 

Fact is that I can't stand to be around people who piss money away, so I suppose I should lighten up and accept people for what they do even though it is not what I would choose.

Thank you so much for this insight!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 08:04:57 AM »
You need to compound interest on those numbers. That 225k over a lifetime will be in the millions.

You are correct if the future is as the past.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 08:20:37 AM »

I agree with this. Your tone in talking about your daughter is that she is not intelligent, has bad priorities, and is wasteful. I won't weigh in on that but your tone makes you look as bad as her. As she's only 22, as her father you had a hand in influencing and raising her. It's frustrating for me to read someone basically calling their daughter stupid online. And how you describe your wife as well ... dude, you sound like an example of pennywise and pound foolish.

You are correct my tone about my wife and daughter is negative.

MMM's 2 recent posts are examples of the friction frugality can cause in relationships when everyone isn't on board.  The frustration can be overwhelming.   But, I'm not jumping on the $3,500 per year beverage wagon.  So I guess the question (and MMM touched on this) is really how to help move the others over from the dark side?   

I think it is a little more complicated than being a role model and drinking water when they are drinking 5 buck Starbucks.  (especially when I'm the one buying)  There seems to be a disconnect between the instantaneous gratification and the long term goals thinking.   

I could visit with my daughter and say "if you save some money here and there you could have a million dollars in 15 years,"  but I don't think that would resonate.   

Sorry this post is getting way too far into my personal relationship vs. frugality issues.   I really wanted to show a contrast in the outcomes of how making small choices in beverages can make a big financial difference.   But I guess it unearthed the fact that money and how we view it can impact relationships. 

God bless the people who have their whole family team on the same page!   

Anyone have a good book or reference that I could share with my daughter that might open her eyes?

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 08:32:21 AM »

Regarding the McDonalds issue --

I'm eating 90% Paleo these days.  I don't eat out often and finding affordable restaurant food in our small community is hard.   I have found that Micky D's has some of the healthiest salads available.   Since wheat is off my program I avoid places such as Subway and other wheat based restaurants.

I eat out infrequently,  although on vacation is was more so.   My typical daily diet is something like 3 eggs for breakfast,  a big "man salad" for lunch and meat/fish/chicken and veggies with lots of healthy olive oil for dinner. 

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 05:27:02 PM »
Great comparison!  I fianlly cured my husband of a lifelong koolade habit just about 18 months ago.  He now drinks mainly water with other beverages thrown into the mix here and there.

Have you thought about the "your money or your life" book for your dd.  I've never read it but hear that it is excellent.  That along with a water purifier and stainless steel water bottle might make a good Christmas gift.  But in her defense, undergrad fosters this attitude with the "meal plan" swipe cards where everything they buy on campus is covered under their meal plan and at a fairly steep discount to what it costs outside of campus(be it a meal or just a convenience beverage on their way across campus) so the pain of drinking away $3500 a year on water and coffee is not felt, but the habit is formed.

I can certainly relate to the relationship isssues as we currently have #3 (of 6) living under our roof and unemployed in a community with a less than 3% unemployment rate and every business in town has a "help wanted" sign out front.  BUT this spoiled rotten 22yo college graduate doesn't want to work those kinds of jobs...she's looking for the 'right' job.  Tough love...yeah she needs it! but in our case her Dad won't hear of it because he's worried she'll end up on the streets.  Me...I'm going along for now because I don't want family dissonance ruining #2's wedding in December.  Since dd's 6 month time to live at home after graduation is up a couple of weeks before the wedding, right after she's getting her walking papers regardless of what my husband says.  "I" think it will wake her up and light a fire under her because in addition to being too spoiled she's a MAJOR procrastinator.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 07:33:01 PM »

Regarding the McDonalds issue --

I have found that Micky D's has some of the healthiest salads available.

I'd be very surprised if McD's uses fresh ingredients in their salads.  More likely--they use chemicals and possibly even dyes to make their salads look fresh.  Sorry, but ick.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 09:11:01 PM »
Well my thing isn't drinks, but other stuff, not to that extent. It is always good to be reminded that little things add up quickly.

I have in the last month just kept a filled water bottle with me and it is amazing how much water I drink without even trying to force myself to drink it, well water that is.

grover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 11:59:00 PM »

MMM's 2 recent posts are examples of the friction frugality can cause in relationships when everyone isn't on board.  The frustration can be overwhelming.   But, I'm not jumping on the $3,500 per year beverage wagon.  So I guess the question (and MMM touched on this) is really how to help move the others over from the dark side?   

I think it is a little more complicated than being a role model and drinking water when they are drinking 5 buck Starbucks.  (especially when I'm the one buying)  There seems to be a disconnect between the instantaneous gratification and the long term goals thinking.   

I could visit with my daughter and say "if you save some money here and there you could have a million dollars in 15 years,"  but I don't think that would resonate.   

Sorry this post is getting way too far into my personal relationship vs. frugality issues.   I really wanted to show a contrast in the outcomes of how making small choices in beverages can make a big financial difference.   But I guess it unearthed the fact that money and how we view it can impact relationships. 

Anyone have a good book or reference that I could share with my daughter that might open her eyes?

Just wanted to follow up that your response shows that you're an open-minded person who is receptive of a different point of view and open to change. Props to that. I know in "Stop Acting Rich...and start living like a real millionaire", he talks about the phenomenon of high earners who overspend, and it's because they felt they were in a too-frugal-minded household as a young person (so maybe lecturing is the wrong tactic for rebellious young people). "The Tightwad Gazette" also mentions that it's normal and acceptable for young people to be free-spending before they see the light. Maybe this is a good, short article your daughter can read, so the seed is planted for when she herself sees the light:

Summer Job? Time to Start a Roth I.R.A.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/02/your-money/individual-retirement-account-iras/for-teenagers-starting-and-saving-in-a-roth-ira.html?_r=0

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »
I'm similar to the OP: water, tea, vodka. The best ROI I ever had was from buying a Nalgene bottle. At the time I was buying $1 waters each day at lunch. A $7 bottle paid itself off in a week and has provided close to 5 years worth of free water. (BTW, I no longer buy lunches).

Great idea,  I'm doing that this week!  And no one will ever know if I'm drinking water, tea or vodka!  lol

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »

Just wanted to follow up that your response shows that you're an open-minded person who is receptive of a different point of view and open to change. Props to that. I know in "Stop Acting Rich...and start living like a real millionaire", he talks about the phenomenon of high earners who overspend, and it's because they felt they were in a too-frugal-minded household as a young person (so maybe lecturing is the wrong tactic for rebellious young people). "The Tightwad Gazette" also mentions that it's normal and acceptable for young people to be free-spending before they see the light. Maybe this is a good, short article your daughter can read, so the seed is planted for when she herself sees the light:

Summer Job? Time to Start a Roth I.R.A.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/02/your-money/individual-retirement-account-iras/for-teenagers-starting-and-saving-in-a-roth-ira.html?_r=0

Another great idea!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »
How I make green tea for 1 penny a day.

This falls in the category of very frugal --

WalMart sells a nice package of green tea for 1 dollar plus tax.  (Don't ask me how this is possible?)  It is on the bottom shelf.

Two tea bags are linked together.  I put the two linked bags in the coffee maker and add about 4 cups worth of water.  Push the button and within 5 minutes have tea.  Sometimes it is dark so I add a little water to cool it down.

I drink 1 - 3 cups during my morning routine.   (tea is free at work)

The next morning I add whatever remains in the pot with some additional water and rebrew.   

There you have it! 1 penny a day for healthy green tea.  I might add that I really like the taste of this tea as well.  It is a very pleasing mellow, warm morning drink. 

I don't really keep track, but a box will last me about 3 months.

Makes a nice iced tea if you prefer.

I once was a coffee drinker but find that the buzz and lack of shakiness with the green tea is much preferred.

Annual cost of tea =  3.75 (taxes incld)   

(my daughter on the other hand is paying something like $275 in taxes alone on her beverages.  I like to stick it to the tax man whenever possible.  lol)

Post Script -  After posting this thread I became much more aware of what beverages cost and the whole beverage process so I may follow through on my plan of building my own home still to produce vodka, rum, gin and whiskey.  The ingredient cost for these beverages are close to 3 cents per drink.   The up front cost for the still set up is pretty pricy and I don't drink that much but it would last me a life time and be something fun to share with friends and family. 

If I do the still route and continue my current consumption of tea, water and vodka I might be looking at sub $20 for my total annual beverage budget.   I'm sure a friend or two might chip in for the booze to help get that close to zero!

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 07:21:37 AM »
^If you set up your own still I'll certify you as a Beverage Badass. This certification comes with nothing more than the satisfaction that you are a true badass.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 08:53:33 AM »
^If you set up your own still I'll certify you as a Beverage Badass. This certification comes with nothing more than the satisfaction that you are a true badass.

I've been thinking about this for several years and have experimented with Turbo Yeast to ferment 20% wine.   

So Christmas is coming right up and the still might be the perfect gift for my wife to give to me.  I'll redo my research and let you know what I decide in the next few weeks.   

jordanread

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 09:54:26 AM »

I've been thinking about this for several years and have experimented with Turbo Yeast to ferment 20% wine.   

So Christmas is coming right up and the still might be the perfect gift for my wife to give to me.  I'll redo my research and let you know what I decide in the next few weeks.

I still need to try out the Cider thing that MMM posted a while back. I look forward to seeing your experiments with a still. I used to brew beer with my step dad, but that's all I've done.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »
I will now admit before the world that I do spend a little money on beer but never ever on Red Bull, Monster Energy or anything with a Starbucks label!  lol

Oh right, of course only the things you value are worth spending money on. Forget anyone else's values, they're wrong!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 10:29:39 AM »
I will now admit before the world that I do spend a little money on beer but never ever on Red Bull, Monster Energy or anything with a Starbucks label!  lol

Oh right, of course only the things you value are worth spending money on. Forget anyone else's values, they're wrong!

Oh yes,  that is very correct!  My values are paramount in "my" life.  You on the other hand are very welcome to drink your Starbucks.

I started my "no beer year" experiment this last weekend opting for spending about $2 on vodka mixed with a little ice and water.   I found the experience fine and dandy and will be forgoing beer.  The Vodka was McCormick's,  made here in Missouri.   It comes in a nice glass bottle and is triple distilled.   I think the bottle was 6 bucks.   

According to the net, there are about 17 drink equivalents in a bottle so the cost per drink is around 35 cents.  That would mean a six pack is about $2.10.   

The results were pretty nice.   I caught my Saturday night, sit on the deck, listen to old music buzz.  Woke up Sunday feeling fine.  I noted that I didn't feel bloated the next morning as I sometimes have noticed with beer. 

Since I'm focusing on keeping wheat out of my diet this seems like a pretty good deal.

Perhaps, at some point I will just forego the vodka all together and just drink the ice water. lol   I could get my average annual beverage budget down to 5 bucks with just my morning tea.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
You know, I used to spend loads of money on dumb things like CDs and beer between 15 and 23.    I wouldn't say it was because I was weak minded and didn't get it though.    Rather, I was attempting to deal with parents that created a toxic home environment by seeking short term happiness and validation with purchases.    I wasn't able to stop this sort of self medication until I got the hell away from them.

Based on the tenor of this thread, do you think this is a possibility with your daughter?

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 01:50:37 PM »
You know, I used to spend loads of money on dumb things like CDs and beer between 15 and 23.    I wouldn't say it was because I was weak minded and didn't get it though.    Rather, I was attempting to deal with parents that created a toxic home environment by seeking short term happiness and validation with purchases.    I wasn't able to stop this sort of self medication until I got the hell away from them.

Based on the tenor of this thread, do you think this is a possibility with your daughter?

Well she is between 15 and 23.  I'm pretty sure the home environment isn't toxic as she hasn't lived at home for 4 years and she has lots of emotional support from mom.   I'm sure that the validation thing, instantaneous gratification and short term happiness comes into play.  She really doesn't drink that much alcohol typically. 

I'm kinda sorry I mentioned my daughters beverage spending vs. mine.   Seems like we are brushing on psychodynamics here.   I guess that is the most observable person that I have. 

My intent of the post was to show how something as small as beverage purchases can super ad up. 

So I just little curious and did a little Google.  It appears that we in the US spend around 300+ Billion a year on beverages.  Some of the categories are:  Beer 96B, Spirits, 72B, Wine 29 B, Soft drinks 65 B,  Coffee 11 B,  Bottled water 11 B,  Milk 6 B.

So I'm estimating around $1,000 per person per year for beverages.

So someone who spends $3,500 is well above average and someone who spends $100 is well below.

Funny that we spend almost 200 billion on booze though.  That is almost 65% of our beverage spending!    Since about 50% of adults drink, that means us drinkers are averaging $1,500 per year on booze.  That's a lot of booze. At a dollar a drink, we're talking 4 drinks per day for every drinker in the US.   

I feel much better about my Saturday night imbibing knowing that I am way, way below the average. lol

Really, thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this thread.

Bob

jordanread

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 02:07:59 PM »
Well she is between 15 and 23. 

The fact that you don't even know her age is probably not a good sign of your relationship. :P

Just giving you shit. Personally, I have a slightly ridiculous (according to normal standards) booze budget. If I don't keep myself in check, I can easily spend $150/week (yes you read that right). I'd totally join a challenge like this though. You should put something under Throw Down The Gauntlet. I tried the "Drink all the booze in your house" one, but that made for a shitty hangover the next day (I really wanted to try a new Sam Adams, so drank everything in a weekend - P.S. Dandelion wine is gross). I might have a problem...

Seriously though, if you start down this path as a challenge, I'd love to try to keep up (or not keep up?). Making all your own, or minimizing a per drink cost, or something would be fun.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!