Author Topic: Tool libraries and bike coops  (Read 3311 times)

slugsworth

• Bristles
Tool libraries and bike coops
« on: June 15, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »
I recently borrowed a pole saw/lopper tool from my local tool library, got the project done in a few hours and returned it ~2.5hours later and the guy said waived the ~$4 fee since I returned it so fast.  It really saved me ~$60 for the tool and perhaps more importantly, the cost to have a place to store another tool.

If you live in the Puget Sound, here is a link to all of the tool libraries in the greater Seattle area: http://your.kingcounty.gov/solidwaste/EcoConsumer/repair-libraries.asp if you don't well, you'll have to use google yourself.

I figured I would give a shout out to Bike coop's while I was at it. Here is a link to find one near you. They typically have all the bike tools you could imagine, cheap bikes, and classes to learn how to do repairs (and sometimes help if you can't figure something out).
https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page#Lists_of_Organizations

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
Re: Tool libraries and bike coops
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 01:34:12 AM »
A tool library sounds fab, I'd definitely use one if there was one around here.

pennyhandlebar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 04:03:16 AM »
There are a couple of excellent tool libraries in Portland OR too, and they're free except for fines. That is, you can borrow the tools for free for a week - you only pay if you keep it for longer than that. I used a pair of $200 ladders for a few weeks and paid about $8 in fines...pretty good deal! Like Slugsworth said, as much as buying the tools, finding storage space is a drag.

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 01:53:33 PM »
It looks like there are some in London D&D http://www.libraryofthings.co.uk/

I've taken to loaning some tools out to friends on a longer term basis just to have storage room. If I can avoid getting tools that I need once a year or less, I think it is a huge win. Anyway, I think the whole concept is super mustachian: save money, consume less, reduce your housing (storage) cost, build/repair stuff, and build community.

miked

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »
Bike co-ops are the best! A great resource for non-consumable parts. I keep my commuter bike maintained with parts from the parts bin of my local co-op. I recently replaced the rear wheel (crack in the rim) on my bike with a $10 wheel from the co-op. I jumped down a curb with a full load of groceries in my pannier. Oops. 

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 11:18:47 AM »
Cool concept!
No  Tool library by me, but I just found out there are two Tool Loan Centers, that rent tools at really good prices!
They also do home maint., repair, buying, selling and reverse mortgage counseling.

If the tools were free, I'd donate some money, just out of appreciation (and selfish desire to keep it going).

AKS74U

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 05:17:59 PM »
Im in Portland and belong to the NEP tool library.  I do all kinds of projects with borrowed tools.  Most important for me is the ability to own less things.  I donated my tools and just borrow them back :-)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 07:36:48 AM »
We have a tool library in our town but I have yet to try it out.  They have a press for making things like apple cider so I think I will be giving it a go.  It is $40 per year.