Author Topic: Toilet Leaking  (Read 3005 times)

vagon

• Stubble
Toilet Leaking
« on: May 10, 2015, 08:49:18 PM »
We came back from celebrating my wife's 30th with friends and found the cistern had a crack in it. Not fun, but at least there was no smell.

We thought originally we would replace the cistern, but then the pan had a messed up seat fitting so we decided to replace the whole thing.
DW and FIL thought I shouldn't DIY it and there was a micro-domestic in the local hardware store as we debated getting a plumber in.
This is a toilet whose pan was cemented to the floor and they simply couldn't believe you could use silicon instead of cement to place a toilet and as such strongly suggested we get a plumber.

I essentially ignored their advice and took the day off work. I bought a new toilet, some masonry chisels, silicon and a tile drill bit and installed the damn thing myself.
Based off online quotes I believe I saved about $500 and got paid to do it as the boss let me take sick leave.

math-ya

• Stubble
Re: Toilet Leaking
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 09:16:02 PM »
Nice! It's the best completing a difficult task that you're not familiar with. Now every time you look at that crapper, you are gonna feel like the boss. And geez toilets sound complicated down under. In the U.S. Swapping a toilet is as easy as removing 2 nuts and replacing the wax ring. Where do you live in Sydney? I used to live in Chippendale

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 12:48:17 AM »
Haha yep, that's the best bit - I sat on it soooo gently the first time haha.

Chippendale is a very nice area, I went to university right near there, I'm over in Willoughby.
Have you readjusted to the water going the other way?

math-ya

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:33:21 AM »
hah, it took awhile but i finally got used to the water going the wrong way ;)
I was in chippendale to be close to uni, i studied econ there in 07-08
the only problem was we were so close to redfern. i never had any problems. but my aussie mates told me the only way to survive  redfern at night was to run thru the middle of the street throwing change on both sides of you. lol

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:18:07 PM »
Haha massive exaggeration, these days its so gentrified you cant buy a 2 bedroom apartment for under $600K!