Author Topic: To the longest running beater car goes the prize  (Read 16978 times)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: To the longest running beater car goes the prize
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2020, 04:22:37 PM »
I finally put the '88 Oldsmobile out to pasture (literally); still runs great with a quarter million miles on her and 5 years under my ownership, but between COVID/WFH, recently FIREing (no longer commuting), and the clearcoat starting to peel, it was time. Now currently parting her out, and with luck, parts should completely offset the purchase price.

I was almost going to say WTF?? but then I noted your 5 year ownership, so I assume the purchase price was extremely low.
But still WTF, someone is still buying parts for a '88 Olds?

thorto0803

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2020, 01:12:57 PM »
I was fortunate to be gifted a car starting college: A 2003 Honda accord with about 195,000 miles on it (this was in 2013).

I'm still driving it and it's about to roll over to 250,000 with no significant issues since I started driving it.

Fortunately DW has a Prius that we are able to use for most things. I'm planning to replace my Accord with an EV once (if ever) it dies. Hopefully we can make it another 5 years or so.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2020, 02:28:51 PM »
I was almost going to say WTF?? but then I noted your 5 year ownership, so I assume the purchase price was extremely low.
But still WTF, someone is still buying parts for a '88 Olds?

Yeah, the 80's GM front-drivers have a small, but fervent following. It seems like yesterday you could find these in the junkyard as used-up cars, but 30 years-on, trim pieces, lights and interior pieces are getting tougher to find. And now that they qualify for antique plates, registration is cheap, insurance is cheap, and the car guys that grew up in the 80's now have some disposable cash to throw around. This '88 was a deal because it needed a $10 brake line, and the family was eager to move it (gramps' car?). Perhaps I'll move up to an '89 in the spring.

bcbaseballman

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2020, 03:26:22 PM »
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with 295,000 miles on it. My dad bought is new in 2000 gifted it to my brother in 2014 who gifted it to me in 2018. It is not my main driver but it still get driven at least once a week and runs great. Hoping for it to be my boys first vehicle when they come of age (currently they are 5&6).

Decibel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »
1996 Suzuki Sierra with 470000km on the clock....

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2020, 05:13:33 PM »
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 90,000 miles on it. I should easily get another 10-15 years out of it.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2020, 05:16:57 PM »
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 90,000 miles on it. I should easily get another 10-15 years out of it.
My 2003 dodge neon only has 89,000 miles. AC and heat still work perfectly, but it's starting to rust. I bought it in 2005, when I was still in college. I live 4 miles from work and bike in the summer, so it doesn't get much use these days.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2020, 05:21:00 PM »
My 2003 dodge neon only has 89,000 miles. AC and heat still work perfectly, but it's starting to rust. I bought it in 2005, when I was still in college. I live 4 miles from work and bike in the summer, so it doesn't get much use these days.

Paint over the rust spots with POR15 paint and then cover that with matched paint to your car’s paint color (which you can buy for a few bucks on eBay.) It’ll take care of the rust problem for a long time.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2021, 09:31:26 AM »
My previous work rig ('96 Ford turbo diesel van) I ran to 306,000 in miles in 2012, then sold it for $5,000.
Current work rig 2012 Nissan Frontier is at 176,000 miles.
The Frontier has been fabulous, the powerstroke van was nickel and diming me for a few years (everything is expensive on a one ton diesel!)
Frontier is on second battery, third set of tires, everything else save oil and filters, atf and coolant, is original.
The two vehicles average very similar mpg, 16-19 depending on load and conditions.
I vastly prefer driving the Nissan.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2021, 10:48:59 AM »
1995 Toyota Tercel @ almost 330k, owned since 2002.  First car, it’s a true beater, 4spd manual, no a/c, no air bags, no cruise control, nothing power, not even intermittent wipers.  With the exception of having a new clutch installed at 310k, I do all the work on this car (brakes, starter rebuild, fuel filter, spark plugs, cv boots etc).  Really nothing that isn’t supposed to wear out at some point has worn out or broken, it’s reliable to the point where it’s almost annoying, I might die in this car lol.  Doesn’t have rust, but clear coat is starting to go on hood, front fenders and roof, even though it’s a high mileage econo beater I’m considering painting it in my own garage later this year when the weather warms up, even though I’d be spending about what the car is currently worth just in materials to do it, not to mention my time.  DW’s car is an 06 Hyundai Santa Fe, for most people a 14 year old Hyundai isn’t something to be impressed by, but compared to the old Toyota it’s basically the pinnacle of luxury with AWD, V6 power, automatic trans, heater leather seats, A/C, cruise control, power everything and a sunroof.  It hasn’t been as reliable as the Toyota, but hasn’t been too bad either, it’s a great vehicle for the price, old Hyundai’s are dirt cheap even if they are nice models in good shape

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2021, 11:04:38 AM »
Our oldest vehicle is DH's 2002 Ford F150. However, since he's been walking to work for the past seven years, it just hit 100k. We hope to keep it for at least another decade. My biggest fear is that it will get stolen.

Our newest car is a 2014 that hopes to one day deserve mention on this thread.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2021, 04:05:30 PM »
Our oldest vehicle is DH's 2002 Ford F150. However, since he's been walking to work for the past seven years, it just hit 100k. We hope to keep it for at least another decade. My biggest fear is that it will get stolen.

Our newest car is a 2014 that hopes to one day deserve mention on this thread.

Pretty cheap to install an immobilizer switch hidden somewhere in the cab, also one of those steering wheel locks can be picked up at a garage sale for under $5, and is usually enough to deter someone looking for a quick getaway, lots of easier F150s to steal out there

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2021, 06:21:07 AM »
Yeah, I learned about immobilizer switches from "Mad Max: Fury Road".

If people start installing those, we can see which direction things are heading this year.

As for me, I have a 2009 Camry that's barely gotten 300 miles in ten months. I'm kinda hoping someone steals it so I don't have to find a buyer.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2021, 07:31:15 AM »
I'm currently shopping for a used Toyota Tacoma with at least 200,000 miles.  I may go higher, but probably not over 300,000 miles.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2021, 07:35:18 PM »
This isn't going to count anymore since we donated the car for scrap in 2018 but I used to drive this 1993 Camry:

Story behind the car and mismatched door and fender: One morning I was backing out of the garage and, half-awake (dad brain after having our first), I opened the door to go grab something I forgot WHILE the car was in reverse and my foot off the brake. Somehow I was able to quickly react as far as getting back in the car but the door was open and basically hit the side of the carport and bent itself forward:

I don't even know how I came away from it uninjured let alone still alive. After that incident I made a family trip (wife and newborn) to the local junkyard to pull a door and fender off a couple other Camrys. I highly recommend *NOT* doing this btw...lol
Ended up pulling the old fender and door off and reinstalling the mismatched ones. Drove it around for a couple years like this before the radiator died and we were stranded on the side of the highway (this was with my wife and two kids now) 60 miles away from home and in 100 degree weather.
Fortunately we were close to an exit where our friends lived at the time, and they were able to help take us back to their apartment to hang out for a bit before we finally got to our in-laws.
We ended up leaving the car at the crappy/shady auto shop my FIL used to bring his cars to until the owner got mad at me for taking up spaces at his shop. So at that point I just decided to donate the stupid thing rather than deal with trying to sell it that far away. I really liked that car and if it wasn't for the circumstances that it died under, we might have very well kept it or at least sold it in running condition.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:38:14 PM by jeromedawg »

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2021, 10:15:44 AM »
Still driving my 2001 Tacoma with 145,000 miles. Runs great but unfortunately the frame is completely rusted out and the brackets that hold the bed onto the frame have rusted/broken on drivers side. I've literally driven it into the ground and seriously need to replace it due to safety issues.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2021, 02:51:23 PM »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2021, 12:12:42 PM »
1996 Suzuki Sierra with 470000km on the clock....

I think you got your money's worth no matter what you paid for it.

esmith2039

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2021, 10:21:02 AM »
I don't consider ours as beaters but here's our old cars.. 04 Escape owned it since 06 with 32k, now has 174k. A couple snags but nothing expensive. Rust will eventually take this one. I've already replaced the rear wheel wells. 02 Focus.. had it since 2010 I think, it was my sisters she bought in 03 with 30k. After she got ill we started driving it and inherited it after she passed. Didn't pay anything for it but has cost us $2600 over the years and has been a royal pain most of the time, something is always broke on it lol (sisters curse I like to say!).

I work on our vehicles so i'm able to keep them going fairly cheap, I can see how this would be hindrance to some. We also have 05 Jayco Escapade with 77k, 2000 Dakota with 97k and 91 Festiva with 221k (bringing this back to life).

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2021, 10:57:48 AM »
I've heard of the "Mother's Curse" (unfortunately, I married someone who was a victim of it)

Is the sister's curse something like, "I hope you have to drive something just like you!?!"

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2021, 12:21:53 PM »
Maybe not an econobox, but my daily beater is 1991 Toyota MR2 with 298,500 miles on it now.  Getting that one to that mileage was pretty easy, it's been super reliable.  Spare parts still exist for common features, but no longer exist for special options (example, the cruise control speedo sensor broke and is no longer available, so I just don't have cruise control anymore). 

My fun car is a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse with 140,500 miles on it.  It's been a tough road getting it there, not a reliable car at all.  Parts are getting real hard to find.  Had to swap the whole rear end to a different set of brakes due to one sticking caliper and that not being available anywhere.  Rear axles are also impossible to find now (other than junkyards and they tend to be trashed parts).  Has numerous parts that I can't even think of to list now that have been swapped in from other make/models of cars just to keep it on the road.

keyvaluepair

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2021, 08:44:05 PM »
'94 Civic DX Hatchback stick, 107K miles. Should go another ten years easy. Probably less once son starts driving it in another 6 years. My bicycles have more miles than my car....

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2021, 07:57:47 AM »
2012 Honda Accord that I bought new. 110k miles.  100% problem free to date.

abbeydabbey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2021, 10:02:16 AM »
So, basically I drove an $800 car for 8 years and got $5000 out of it!

My first car was a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I bought it for $800. I drove it for 8 years, putting very few miles on it. I lived in the country but still managed to put less than 5,000 a year on it. It had 260,000 miles on it and was going strong, until an old lady turned left in front of me and totaled it. I got $4500 out of it from the insurance company, I sold the totaled car to my parents for $500. They have been using it for parts. I used that money to buy a $4000 Toyota 4Runner, but I'm ready to get out of my SUV driving days. It's not very mustachian of me...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2021, 12:17:54 PM »
'94 Civic DX Hatchback stick, 107K miles. Should go another ten years easy. Probably less once son starts driving it in another 6 years. My bicycles have more miles than my car....
My second car was a '94 Civic DX (but a sedan) with manual everything.  I freakin' loved that car.  There was nothing particularly noteworthy about the car--it was just an honest, simple, high-quality car.  It had 165k miles on it, and was just rock-solid reliable.  I sold it two years later for the same price (about $2500) when it came time to buy a minivan.  I still sorta miss it.

My '95 Corolla's seatbelts are stiff with age, so yesterday I took a trip to the salvage yard and pulled a pair of seatbelts from a scrapped car.  I'm sending them off to get new webbing, and I'm really looking forward to getting them back so I can put them in my car.

I also spent a chunk of the afternoon with one of my kids, replacing shocks.  I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I think the shocks were original (25 years, 238k miles), and they are well and truly shot.  The first one I pulled off was completely collapsed, and makes funny slurping sounds when I push and pull on it :)  In all likelihood, this car is either going to die from rust or an accident.

keyvaluepair

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2021, 09:26:38 PM »
My second car was a '94 Civic DX (but a sedan) with manual everything.  I freakin' loved that car.  There was nothing particularly noteworthy about the car--it was just an honest, simple, high-quality car.  It had 165k miles on it, and was just rock-solid reliable.  I sold it two years later for the same price (about $2500) when it came time to buy a minivan.  I still sorta miss it.

My '95 Corolla's seatbelts are stiff with age, so yesterday I took a trip to the salvage yard and pulled a pair of seatbelts from a scrapped car.  I'm sending them off to get new webbing, and I'm really looking forward to getting them back so I can put them in my car.

I also spent a chunk of the afternoon with one of my kids, replacing shocks.  I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I think the shocks were original (25 years, 238k miles), and they are well and truly shot.  The first one I pulled off was completely collapsed, and makes funny slurping sounds when I push and pull on it :)  In all likelihood, this car is either going to die from rust or an accident.

Hallelujah brother! The Civic does NOT have:

1) Power windows
2) Power steering - parallel parking it is a forearm builder.
3) Any cachet whatever

My very first car when I came to the US for grad school was a Ford Fiesta hatchback I bought for $50 from another grad student. My friends called it the Rolling Prophylactic .....

SunnyYellow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2021, 01:43:22 PM »
I truly love my 1999 Corolla. I just use it for errands, so it has only 28,000 miles and runs like a dream. I'm the original owner, bought her new. I don't think of her as a beater, but as a reliable old friend who lives in my garage (so she looks good, too, for a 20+ year old). Really, what's not to love about a car that costs next to nothing to own?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2021, 11:56:33 AM »
@SunnyYellow You are either the best mustachian ever (for driving only 150 miles a month for two decades) or the worst mustachian ever for owning a car when you might be able to rent a car once/twice a month and handle all these errands and not even own one.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2021, 10:37:42 AM »
@SunnyYellow You are either the best mustachian ever (for driving only 150 miles a month for two decades) or the worst mustachian ever for owning a car when you might be able to rent a car once/twice a month and handle all these errands and not even own one.

This could have been a 1994 Corolla (rather than a 1999 new one) with 100k miles on it and be no worse for wear.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2021, 10:43:47 AM »
My husband is driving my '99 Wrangler with 250k miles on it (engine was replaced a few years ago, so it has significantly less miles).

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2021, 09:40:41 AM »
Update: I got my 2009 Camry--which isn't in the same territory as anything on this thread--out of the garage and drove 115 miles round trip for a COVID vaccine. Got the J&J, so just one dose (no need for a return trip). Turns out I could have waited a few days and gotten the same shot closer, so face-punch for me.

But It's been a year where I've only racked up about 1 mile per day with this car. I do like it, but at some point I need to start asking the tough questions about what its future with our family could look like.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »
My neighbor just got rid of his 38 year old Toyota Camry (sole owner) - he was sad, said it was the best car he's ever had but it was about time. Decided to get a Volkswagen EV.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2021, 03:11:16 PM »
Update: I got my 2009 Camry--which isn't in the same territory as anything on this thread--out of the garage and drove 115 miles round trip for a COVID vaccine. Got the J&J, so just one dose (no need for a return trip). Turns out I could have waited a few days and gotten the same shot closer, so face-punch for me.

But It's been a year where I've only racked up about 1 mile per day with this car. I do like it, but at some point I need to start asking the tough questions about what its future with our family could look like.
Aw, man, I had an appointment to get the J&J vaccine last week, but they cancelled the appointment when the CDC overreacted to the blood clot thing.  (serious, 6 cases out of seven million!?)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2021, 01:25:34 PM »
My wife is going to be driving our not very Mustachian 2014 Honda Odyssey to her second shot soon. For a while I'd try to persuade her to drive my camry places, but this is a part of mustachianism where I've failed to make the sale.

HP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2021, 04:52:37 PM »
1999 Honda Accord - 328k miles on it when I sold it a couple months ago.

Decibel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2021, 04:52:43 PM »
I have a 1996 Suzuki Sierra. It is definitely a beater and my only car with over 450000 km on it. If it sees the year out it will be time to replace the old thing with something a little more modern and safer. The only hi-tech thing it has is intermittent wiper blades.....

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2021, 01:23:07 PM »
My car is perhaps only half the age of the best cars here, but a friend mentioned that I drive it so little, I should "treat it like having a new car every time." I think he's onto something with that!

stealthwealth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2021, 02:32:30 PM »
My Dad has a 91 Chevy shortbed 1500 with around 500xxx on it.  I drive a 2003 Corolla I bought new in August 02, and it's sitting on 220xxx.  All US miles.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2021, 11:12:19 PM »
2009 Toyota Prius ... 300k miles. Bought in 2016 for $3k ... put on new tires, brakes, 12V battery and catalytic converter in the first 3 years. Last 18 months, $0 in maintenance (no oil changes or car washes either). I should probably change the oil this year, at least. Maybe. AC still blows cold, original battery still works OK, all electrical works fine. Hard to kill this car.

drumstache

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2021, 10:18:17 AM »
2008 Tacoma, about to hit 200K. 

My friend always bugs me about why I drive such a beat up vehicle when I could afford something nice.  Tried to explain, but it's like blowing a dog-whistle.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2021, 11:02:58 AM »
2008 Tacoma, about to hit 200K. 

My friend always bugs me about why I drive such a beat up vehicle when I could afford something nice.  Tried to explain, but it's like blowing a dog-whistle.
"Every month I drive this beater instead of making a car payment, I get to retire a day (or two or three or whatever) earlier."

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2021, 11:30:17 AM »
2004 Honda CRV, 190K miles. Has a dent on the side where a deer hit it (the deer hit the car, not the other way around). AC no longer works, but I'm too cheap to fix it.

I was actually considering selling this car and upgrading to an EV, but reading this thread...sounds like its got a ton of life left in it.

Maybe I'll fix the AC, but we were quoted over $2,000 to fix the compressor.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2021, 11:01:06 AM »
I hear you guys are having a heat wave out west, that may affect your AC compressor decision.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2021, 04:20:19 PM »
I hear you guys are having a heat wave out west, that may affect your AC compressor decision.
Yes, we have, and yes, this has been pushing me in the “just pay up and fix it” direction.

What helps is that we do have another car with functioning AC and I’m still working from home.

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2021, 12:23:15 PM »
1997 Toyota T-100 with 170,000 miles and people ask if we will sell often

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »
My 2008 Honda Accord is nearly at 230,000 miles.  Almost all original parts.  Including the nonfunctional A/C.  Will suffer until October when it cools off a bit.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2021, 04:51:25 AM »
My motorcycle is about to click over to 120,000 kms.  It is my daily rider.  I hope that counts.

The wife's car is up to 315,000 kms, and needs an oil change.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2021, 03:12:25 PM »
I just learned a hazard of having an older car and not driving much: dry rotted tires that still have lots of tread. To be fair, it is a 2003 and 2 of the tires were from 2012 and the other two were from 2015, so I have no reason to be upset that I bought 4 new tires today. I guess the inspector last year must have just looked at the tread depth and decided they were fine, because the dry rot was really bad and I'm relieved that one when flat when I was taking my dog to the vet today instead of in a couple of days when I am driving to another state.

For awhile a decade ago I lived in a home construction area and used to pick up a lot of nails, so I'd replace pairs as that happened.  I don't think I've had 4 brand new tires at once on this vehicle since I bought it! Should get me through at least a few years at the rate I am not driving. :-)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »
I just learned a hazard of having an older car and not driving much: dry rotted tires that still have lots of tread. To be fair, it is a 2003 and 2 of the tires were from 2012 and the other two were from 2015, so I have no reason to be upset that I bought 4 new tires today. I guess the inspector last year must have just looked at the tread depth and decided they were fine, because the dry rot was really bad and I'm relieved that one when flat when I was taking my dog to the vet today instead of in a couple of days when I am driving to another state.

For awhile a decade ago I lived in a home construction area and used to pick up a lot of nails, so I'd replace pairs as that happened.  I don't think I've had 4 brand new tires at once on this vehicle since I bought it! Should get me through at least a few years at the rate I am not driving. :-)
FWIW, if you get a puncture in the tread, it's a very straightforward DIY-able repair.  You can get a repair kit at your local auto parts store for not much more than $10.

I learned about such kits several years ago, when we were 1,400 miles from home, in a smallish town on a Saturday night, when all the local tire shops were closed for the weekend, and we found ourselves with a flat tire.  In desperation, we asked for suggestions at the local Autozone, and they sold me a kit.  Since then, I've used it three or four more times.  It's way less hassle than taking a tire in to the shop.