Author Topic: Tiny life-changer: You don't have to boil pasta  (Read 19203 times)

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
Re: Tiny life-changer: You don't have to boil pasta
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2013, 02:51:58 PM »
Oh, and aside from freezing extra rice, I do find it's helpful to have different starches on hand to work with. So if I don't have rice around or I don't want to wait to make rice, I'll often use something else instead of rice in a recipe.

Couscous is crazy fast if you're really in a rush (and thus also awesome for camping with).
Bulgur is pretty easy and fast too if you just dump some boiling water over top and have it on the table ready to serve. Quinoa's not too bad either.
Quick steel-cut oats are nice for porridgey type recipes.

I think the important part is not to get too attached to having only rice and being open to using other (often healthier) grains as substitutes.

What kind of bulgur do you use that cooks so quickly? The kind I use takes 30 minutes in boiling water.

Thank you for your concern about my rice intake. I guess somehow my post made it sound like that's all I eat for dinner? Don't worry -- we switch up the grains!

Permofit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • youtube - permofit
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2013, 03:33:18 AM »
Just more FYI on bad stuff in our food. how much arsenic can you really eat b4 you have problems?
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2001-04/987176844.Me.r.html

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 01:49:07 PM »
Very clever!

I'll try it.

Reminds me of something I do:  I never preheat the oven, even though every single recipe and boxed food says to.  Instead, I leave the food sitting in the oven with the heat off after the timer goes off, and let the residual heat finish the cooking.

I do the same as you, but it offsets the many times when I come into the kitchen after the kids or wife have used and are done with the stove and I shut it off for them (in an air conditioned house no less)!

rving-carol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Cables N Mor - Computer & AV Cables
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2013, 08:36:20 AM »
I finally got around to trying out cooking one cup of Basmati rice and one cup of lentils in my microwave rice cooker. Used 2 cups of vegetable broth and 2 cups water and cooked for 15 minutes on high. Came out perfect. Thanks to all who posted here. I would never have tried it otherwise.

Mickijune

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 10:07:14 AM »
Dave-this is what I do for rice and it works every time!

1 cup extra long grain rice or basmati rice
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oil

In a small heavy pot, add rice, water, 1 tsp oil and salt. Boil on high until most of the water evaporates. When the water just skims the top of the rice, reduce to low and cover about 15 minutes. Shut off flame and keep covered an additional 5 minute.