Author Topic: Thrift Store Shopping  (Read 90373 times)

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
Thrift Store Shopping
« on: June 23, 2016, 12:46:20 AM »
Previous to joining the forum, I have almost exclusively shopping for clothing at retail stores. Usually clothes were not expensive i.e. $40 jeans, $10-20 shirts, $30-50 dresses. After reading this forum, I decided I was going to give thrift stores another try. I have been needing new shirts for around the house/errands, shorts and jeans. These purchases were not an emergency and I thought I would try the local thrift stores.

There was a bad accident on my way home from work and I decided to pop into a second hand store. I spent over an hour pursuing all the aisles and came away with some real gems including:

- one t-shirt
- one work shirt
- one tank top
- one pair of shorts
- one pair of jeans
- one pair of shoes (Clark's to boot!)
- a pair of shorts for Mr. Tuxedocat
- tupperware container

The grand total was $47 bucks and nothing had tax! This is what I would have spent on ONE pair of pants. The clothes look brand new too. It has put a huge smile on face knowing that I am saving money and helping the environment.

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Thrift Store Shopping
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:20:40 AM »
I love thrift store shopping - when I really need something, that is!

My daughter wanted one of those rompers - the short and shirt that are attached - and all the stores around us are selling for $20... local thrift shop, brand new with tags, $4... for that price, I don't mind picking up a clothing item that she'll only wear during one season. Also, I often sell the kids clothes once they outgrow them, for a couple dollars each, so this romper will probably end up being free!

I recently went to a new thrift shop near me, and found great quality blackout curtains, to replace ones that I accidentally shrunk...would have been over $100 new (which is why the short ones were still on the window), but found at the thrift shop for $12 for the set. Now I can reuse the shorter ones on a shorter window in the house.

My best find recently was a blazer for work, that looks brand new. Retail price was $145 plus taxes, found it at the thrift shop for $12. I don't shop for clothes often at all, but when I do, to find a great quality item for so much cheaper, makes my day! I know that the blazer will last me several years as well, since it's a classic cut and colour. That's the best part of my pared down wardrobe...knowing that when I do make a purchase, it will match with almost every item I own!

The best part about planning a trip to the thrift shop is bringing a big bag of items with me to donate at the same time. Often they will hand out coupons to those who donate, bringing the cost down even more!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 12:50:18 PM »
Thanks TOgirl for that tip! I will have to do that the next time I get rid of clothing.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 01:22:13 PM »
I'm planning to clothes shop this weekend - gave myself a $15 budget. Thank goodness for thrift shops! Our local Salvation Army is having a sale tomorrow - $2 tops!! There's also a stretch of road I visit that has around 5-6 thrift shops...I love it and plan to visit on Saturday. It's funny - one shop is GREAT for stylish clothes for boys - we always find stuff my son loves there. However, we have never bought anything for the rest of us there. Another is fabulous for my daughter - they have all kinds of stuff she loves. I rarely buy stuff for DH or myself there. Another one has great stuff for me.

It's funny as you think it should typically always be rather random. But I've been shopping on this stretch of road for over 10 years now. And 80-90% of the time, it's pretty much like I said above. My whole family, including my teen kids all thrift store shop :)

BTW - I took a look a donor coupons at my local Salvation Army and found this:
Donor $10 off Coupon:

To thank those who generously donate household goods and clothing directly in-store, we offer a $10 off coupon! Drop off your donations during store hours and a store attendant will happily give you your coupon to savings! Discount applied to next purchase of $25 or more.

mountains_o_mustaches

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 09:49:17 AM »
I also recently made this shift from retail to thrift store.  I love it for many reasons:

1) Savings - I spent an average of $6 per clothing item at my last thrift store visit.  The savings are huge compared to retail - even low end retail like Old Navy or Walmart.

2) Time saved - My friends have argued that shopping at the thrift store takes too much time because things are only sorted into general categories (e.g., a huge rack of "shirts") rather than each item being expertly displayed in retail stores so you have to sort through things to find what you want.  I have to say that while the situation is true (i.e., digging through the rack o' shirts), the time argument is fundamentally wrong.  I spent about 1 hour at a thrift store and came out with 6 items of clothing.  In the past I've spent an entire afternoon at a mall and potentially not even found what I wanted.  Having a variety of clothing under one roof has been way more time-efficient than malls.

3) Environmental impact - buying reused clothing means it's clothing not in the landfill and for at least this iteration it's not being shipped from China, India, etc.

4) Thumbing my nose at wasteful consumerism - Buying reused clothing means I refuse to buy into the notion that clothes are no longer good after they've been worn or after a certain season or year.  I also get the benefits of getting gently used clothing from the people who have this mentality.  And when I get bored of clothing or they no longer fit I can pass them along to other like-minded people.  Winning all around!

5) Contributing to charity - at least in my city almost all thrift stores are associated with a local or national charity.  I have some problems with Goodwill (CEO making big profits while giving himself props for hiring people with disabilities, but then paying them shit), but I've easily been able to locate a local thrift store that contributes to local, reputable charities.  Also if I donate my own clothing that counts as a charitable contribution.  Woo hoo!

What are some other benefits that y'all have noticed??

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 07:32:48 PM »
I agree with your posts mountains! I would also add that shopping at thrift stores makes me happy! I was on a high because I saved money, helped the environment, the payment went towards a charity, and I love showing off my thrift store purchases.

I am still looking for a "new" dress. I have a couple of weddings this year and have worn the same dress to countless events over the years.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 09:05:48 PM »
My mom recently told me i should stop shopping at thrift stores (after I was showing her all the good deals I found). She said I was taking those good deals from people who really needed then and i should be ashamed of myself, since I can afford to go to a regular store.

Sigh. I can't help it. I love thrift store shopping. Even if it is stealing?? from the poor.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 09:24:22 PM »
I love coats.  I wear coats almost daily through the cooler months (October to April)... I love having about 10-12 coats to choose from depending on the weather and what I'm wearing on any given day.  I buy most of my coats at thrift stores.  I've gotten some very nice coats over the years.  The two I most recently got was 1) a cashmere coat for $14 that my wife bought me for a Christmas gift last year. 2) a Polo brand corduroy sports coat that was about $15.

For my tastes, a 10-12 coat wardrobe would be on the order of $1000 to $2000 bucks every 5 years or so.  Thrift storing it I spend maybe $200-$300 every 5 years or so... significant savings.

I buy a lot of other stuff there too... just this is my favorite thing to buy there.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 10:00:24 PM »
I just came home from a thrift store binge. Hit 4 thrift stores today. Some fave deals: 
- 2 tops for 50 cents each (thanks Sally!)
- A gorgeous dark blue sheath dress for $2.50
- columbia hiking shorts for $3
- khaki skirt for $1.99
- slides for my son for $1.80
And more. Most I paid was $4.99

I also got my son a pair os soccer shoes. Cringed a bit as they were $7.99! I am sure I have gotten them on sale before for $10-20 a pair so this was $$. But he needs them desperately. Thought he could last this season but his big toenail is purple now.

What is with shoes anyway?? For the past few years, pretty much every store sells them for $5-$10/pair. For USED shoes. That u can often find on clearance racks for $10-20. Its crazy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typhoid Mary

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 10:32:51 PM »
My mom recently told me i should stop shopping at thrift stores (after I was showing her all the good deals I found). She said I was taking those good deals from people who really needed then and i should be ashamed of myself, since I can afford to go to a regular store.

Sigh. I can't help it. I love thrift store shopping. Even if it is stealing?? from the poor.

I have never heard of thrift store shopping as stealing from the poor.... If anything, the thrift store hires workers with low skill sets who might otherwise be unemployable, and if you (or others) stop shopping there they might have to cut hours for the stockers and cashiers.  You are providing jobs by shopping at thrift stores!

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 11:16:08 PM »
U know...I used to have that thought too. But have since realized I am helping to keep thrift stores in business so the poor continue to have plenty of opportunities to score great deals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 01:09:43 AM »
I recently visited Canada and Alaska. Part of the trip was in an RV that was a relocation from Seattle to Anchorage (so it was half the normal hire price). The deal did not include bedding or kitchen stuff. They had a kitchen kit available to rent for $100US and a single person bedding kit for $60US rental.

I went to a thrift store at my first stop, and for $6 I got:

- knife fork and spoon, plate, bowl and glass
- 2 sharp knives (a serrated and a cook's knife)
- frying pan
- big microwave dish that doubled as a basin
- cutting board
- double sized real feather doona
- two towels (small and large) - these were going to the dog's shelter
- wooden spoon

I got a brush and shovel and some sponges from the local store for $2 and I had everything I needed (I brought a sleeping bag liner to use as sheets). I gave them back to the thrift shop when I reached Anchorage.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »

I have never heard of thrift store shopping as stealing from the poor.... If anything, the thrift store hires workers with low skill sets who might otherwise be unemployable, and if you (or others) stop shopping there they might have to cut hours for the stockers and cashiers.  You are providing jobs by shopping at thrift stores!

I don't view it as stealing from the poor at all.  To keep their doors open thrift stores need a high volume of shoppers, just like any other retail outlet.  I prefer to view it as the ultimate recycling program.  People donate stuff they no longer need and it doesn't get into the landfill.  Stuff gets sold and reused, providing an income that supports all kinds of community grants and programs that enhance quality of life for many folks.  The store provides paid employment for people who need it, and in many cases, some workers with disabilities.  And in the case of our huge local thrift store, it works closely with our county recycling facility and a lot of the stuff that can't be sold (broken electronics, clothing only good for fiber) is sold through our county and puts more money back into the county coffers.

I view this as a win-win-win-win... there aren't many other such examples I can think of.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 11:04:54 AM »

I hope this isn't too blunt for the mods' taste, but that is total and utter crap. Besides, I've noticed that the three main groups of thrift shoppers - higher-income thrift shoppers, thrify college students / young professionals , and low-income working families - all tend to have different thrifting priorities anyway. Thrift with confidence!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 11:14:43 AM »
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5798612.html

Here's one article to get you started. Do some googling about thrift store excess. Let go of the guilt.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 12:11:31 PM »
I started thrift store shopping many years ago when I was young and poor.  Many of my son's clothing items, books and toys have come from there since he was little.  As he got into school, I was able to find some of his school uniform clothing there as well (polo shirts in certain colors and khaki/navy pants).

Now my son is 18 and will go look at the thrift store first when there is something he wants.  One trip last fall he found a perfect-condition full length black wool coat, for $7 (savings of hundreds...)  I found a nice watch for me for $3 (just needed batteries) on the same trip.  He was in drama, so it was a big savings when looking for stuff for that as well (the school could provide some, but not all of the clothing, especially since he's a big kid, somewhere around 6' 3"?)

Some of my favorite finds:

A rocking chair 90% off, so $7.50
Cast iron skillets-- one Wagner's, one similar quality, $2 total (although I did use a $10 "loyalty" card to bring the price down, they were on sale at $12
The wool coat mentioned above, perfect for my son, and even though he's the one who found it, I'm claiming it...
Enameled deep cast iron skillet with lid, less than $5
Fabric-- small bag stuffed with hand died batik fabric, $2-- I'll use a lot of it for quilting, but might make a tote bag with some of it.

But really, over the last 18 years I've found so many good items, from clothing to furniture.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 04:45:45 PM »
I love thrift shopping.
I have found really well made classic clothes that have lasted for years.  I would get compliments from people many years after I had bought them.
My favourite thrift store was one where they would have different coloured tags.  Each month, clothing with a certain coloured tag would be $1 each.  The final weekend of the month they would gather up all the tags that were still left in the shop and put them on a 4 for a dollar rack!!  I found some really nice things there...for a quarter!!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 10:02:38 AM »
Last week I was going to a dollar store in an unfamiliar town and I stumbled on a Goodwill right across the street. Score! They were having a sale - $1 for all adult clothing, 75c for kids.

This place had a full donation truck outside and multiple dumpster bins of clothing waiting to be hung on both floors. I am guessing they were having the sale to get rid of what they had. I think most of it will be headed to landfill if it's not bought.

munchabunch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 07:49:21 AM »

Here's one article to get you started. Do some googling about thrift store excess. Let go of the guilt.

I bought almost all my clothes from thrift stores while I was in grad school, and spent some time talking to the employees.  Every single one said they received far more donations than they could ever sell (even the tiny local ones!), and routinely dumped massive amounts of clothing to other dealers (rags, etc.).  If they physically can't move all their inventory, any purchase is better than no purchase.  And I've never noticed "lack of supply" as an issue in my local thrift stores.  I never feel guilty, and usually feel really good, about thrift store shopping!

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 08:38:09 AM »

I bought almost all my clothes from thrift stores while I was in grad school, and spent some time talking to the employees.  Every single one said they received far more donations than they could ever sell (even the tiny local ones!), and routinely dumped massive amounts of clothing to other dealers (rags, etc.).  If they physically can't move all their inventory, any purchase is better than no purchase.  And I've never noticed "lack of supply" as an issue in my local thrift stores.  I never feel guilty, and usually feel really good, about thrift store shopping!

Yeah they get way more than they can handle. I donate around the backside of my thrift store, and they have literally piles upon piles of stuff on their loading docks.

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 10:52:54 AM »
I see no issue with purchasing from thrift stores (US) / charity shops (UK) even if you could afford to purchase clothes at retail. The items are for sale to anybody, and purchasing the goods helps the charities sell items faster. I buy from charity shops and donate to them as well.

Unfortunately, I suspect that a lot of the people who should be buying more from such shops (low income families etc.) don't have the financial planning/budgeting skills to do it.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 07:39:29 PM »
Today was a good day. Favorite cheap thrift was having a 4th of July half price sale when I got there, and the normal price is $1 for shirts and pants ($2.50 for dresses, which I don't wear).

$3.50 later (they cover the tax), I have two new pairs of pants and five shirts. I desperately needed cooler clothes that. Fit because the surface of the sun has descended upon the mountains, and all my pants except jeans have shrunk in the closet again. I could've had more pants but I don't wear synthetic fabrics in the heat and I insist upon pockets because I don't carry purses, either.

But new summer wardrobe for $3.50? Yes, please.

geekinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2016, 11:01:37 PM »
There's a place in town that takes all the "rejects" from all the other thrift stores in town - all the clothing that didn't sell, or wasn't in good enough shape to sell.  It's all just in totally unsorted bins so you have to go digging, hence the name, "Dig and Save," but all apparel and accessories are $1/lb.  It takes patience and time, and there are some types of things that are easier to find than others, but some friends and I have found some TREMENDOUS gems there.  I've actually gotten a bunch of my business casual stuff there, like some Lane Bryant pants that were a perfect fit and great condition. 

I almost wish I knew more people with kids, because I see so many fantastic children's clothes there in great shape, and since you pay for them based on weight they're a freaking steal.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 01:20:41 AM »
Today was a good day. Favorite cheap thrift was having a 4th of July half price sale when I got there, and the normal price is $1 for shirts and pants ($2.50 for dresses, which I don't wear).

$3.50 later (they cover the tax), I have two new pairs of pants and five shirts. I desperately needed cooler clothes that. Fit because the surface of the sun has descended upon the mountains, and all my pants except jeans have shrunk in the closet again. I could've had more pants but I don't wear synthetic fabrics in the heat and I insist upon pockets because I don't carry purses, either.

Epic deal, I am slightly jealous. I never see thrift stores clothing at that low of price where I live.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 07:22:50 AM »

Epic deal, I am slightly jealous. I never see thrift stores clothing at that low of price where I live.

This place is an anomaly even here - it's in the larger town north of me, supports a program for battered women, and is next door to a Goodwill that charges $5 for pants and $2.50 for shirts. It's tiny, so I always check it first and then just fill in from Goodwill. Yesterday may have been the only time I didn't have to go into the Goodwill, but I'm not usually looking only for casual, which I was this time.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2016, 08:49:50 PM »
Found a beautiful cream cable-knit pullover sweater - which has been on my list for awhile; as well as a new bowl for kitty's food (the other one broke mysteriously while I was not home).  Successful thrifting trip!

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2016, 08:54:31 PM »
House contents sales and garage sales can be pretty good too!

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 10:40:10 PM »
Oh, cable knit sweaters are a classic wardrobe staple.

Has anyone seen cashmere sweaters at thrift stores? Mr. Tuxedocat loves them and they are usually on sale at $100.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 07:57:55 AM »
Oh, cable knit sweaters are a classic wardrobe staple.

Has anyone seen cashmere sweaters at thrift stores? Mr. Tuxedocat loves them and they are usually on sale at $100.

Yes, I've seen quite a few cashmeres at thrift stores.  They are usually very inexpensive, too - going for the same price as any other sweater.

Summer is the best time to look for sweaters and other winter gear (at least in Texas).  Not only did a lot of people just donate last winter's clothes, but less people buy them now so supply is better.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 11:30:07 PM »
Sweet! I'm officially on the lookout for a cashmere sweater.

sbagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 01:20:28 PM »
I don’t think anyone has mentioned this use of a thrift store – burial clothes for the deceased.

Backstory – my brother passed away unexpectedly.  He lived on the opposite side of the state and we had his body returned here for burial.  Due to bad winter weather and lack of time, we weren’t able to get to his house to get any of his clothes.  My parents really wanted him to be in a suit, so DH and I went to the thrift store where, for about $25, we got a suit, dress shirt and tie.

A funny part of the story was when my DH was trying on the suits in the thrift store.  My brother was taller, thinner and had long legs.  My DH would put on a suit jacket which clearly didn’t fit him, hold the way-too-long pants up to his short legs, and declare it “a perfect fit.”  Other shoppers were looking at him like he was crazy.  He simply said, “it’s for a funeral,” and offered no further explanation.  We still chuckle about that.

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 01:27:40 PM »
I don’t think anyone has mentioned this use of a thrift store – burial clothes for the deceased.

Backstory – my brother passed away unexpectedly.  He lived on the opposite side of the state and we had his body returned here for burial.  Due to bad winter weather and lack of time, we weren’t able to get to his house to get any of his clothes.  My parents really wanted him to be in a suit, so DH and I went to the thrift store where, for about $25, we got a suit, dress shirt and tie.

A funny part of the story was when my DH was trying on the suits in the thrift store.  My brother was taller, thinner and had long legs.  My DH would put on a suit jacket which clearly didn’t fit him, hold the way-too-long pants up to his short legs, and declare it “a perfect fit.”  Other shoppers were looking at him like he was crazy.  He simply said, “it’s for a funeral,” and offered no further explanation.  We still chuckle about that.

Never thought of that. Great story!!

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »
I heard that Walmart owns Value Village...is this true?
That would be strange because I often find new shoes on sale at Walmart for less than I can get used shoes at Value Village.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »
2) Time saved - My friends have argued that shopping at the thrift store takes too much time because things are only sorted into general categories (e.g., a huge rack of "shirts") rather than each item being expertly displayed in retail stores so you have to sort through things to find what you want.  I have to say that while the situation is true (i.e., digging through the rack o' shirts), the time argument is fundamentally wrong.  I spent about 1 hour at a thrift store and came out with 6 items of clothing.  In the past I've spent an entire afternoon at a mall and potentially not even found what I wanted.  Having a variety of clothing under one roof has been way more time-efficient than malls.
This depends heavily on your shopping style and the orgainzation of the thrift store. I like it when thrift stores are organized by size after the most basic categorization (pants, shorts, long sleve shirts, short sleve shirts) - just a few feet of racks to sort through to look at most of the items that might fit you. I don't like stores that organize by color; they "look" more like retail, but it's not useful when you don't have virtually all sizes of all styles in stock.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2016, 07:29:26 AM »
I heard that Walmart owns Value Village...is this true?
That would be strange because I often find new shoes on sale at Walmart for less than I can get used shoes at Value Village.

Yeah what is it with thrift store shoes? About 10 years ago, they were all $3-4 a pair. Nowadays, they are $8-10. It KILLS me to pay $10 for a pair of used shoes since I buy new shoes on clearance for $10-20. I still sometimes pay the wacky thrift store prices because I rarely shop in regular stores anymore and don't have the time/opportunity to haunt the clearance racks. When the thrift stores have shoe sales it gets more reasonable. Recently, a store I visited had half off shoes so I got a pair of Clarks ballet flats with a lot of support for $5.

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 05:41:56 AM »
I love to thrift shop when I am on vacation.  When we go to Florida, I can usually find nice summer clothes there that I can't find up north.  Wherever we travel by car, I google thrift stores nearby and sometimes I find some great things!  My husband likes to buy cheap t-shirts that he wears when he is swimming in lakes or oceans because the sun screen turns them orange.  He uses them a few times and then I turn them into rags for cleaning. 

I also love garage sales, and now that I am retired, I spend Friday mornings looking for bargains.  A lot of my furniture and decorative items are from garage sales.  Clothes too.  I hate paying full price for stuff.

Miss Prim

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2016, 07:38:17 PM »
My mechanic is right next to the thirft store, so naturally while work was getting done on my car I had to look around. I am still on a mission to find a "party dress" for weddings, family gatherings, celebrations and hoped to find one there. I didn't and instead found these items:

- 3 books, each book was only a buck. I like to buy used cheap books and then donate them to a local homeless shelter. They have a free book exchange.

- a beautiful orange never been worn cardigan, it was slightly pricey at $9

- a tank top for $2

-a t-shirt for $3 (which is so cute!)

-fancy shorts, they are white and would look great with my "new" t-shirt. These were expensive at $8 but they are brand name (RW and Co). I love that store but find there prices not in my budget. $120 dress? I don't think so!

- a t-shirt for Mr. Tuxedocat  for $2 (he's already worn it twice)

P.S. The shorts that I mentioned in a previous post for Mr. Tuxedocat are his favourite shorts and he's worn them about 10 times. I am slowly showing him that thrift stores are awesome :)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2016, 07:33:50 AM »

I have loads of cashmere sweaters from the thrift store. They are actually harder to find than they used to be, because people buy them to cut up. Wool sweaters in general are scarcer because people felt the fabric.

Helpful hint - cashmere actual washes quite well. I use cold water and the delicate cycle of my washer. Just don't put them in the dryer.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2016, 12:55:05 PM »
Last year I gave my sons (in their early 20s) a "shopping spree" at the thrift store as a Christmas present (one of them is good at curating his look from thrifty stuff, and the other doesn't worry where his clothes come from). Turns out the day after the Christmas holidays was 50% off clothing day! Each of us got a good haul of clothes, including some really excellent t-shirts, and we entertained ourselves for ages browsing through the used records.

(MoM, I thought of one thrift store advantage you didn't mention: not only is the stuff pre-loved, but it's also pre-tested. Stuff that's survived to make it to the thrift store is usually sturdy enough to last a long time once you buy it!)

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2016, 06:57:42 PM »

I have loads of cashmere sweaters from the thrift store. They are actually harder to find than they used to be, because people buy them to cut up. Wool sweaters in general are scarcer because people felt the fabric.

Helpful hint - cashmere actual washes quite well. I use cold water and the delicate cycle of my washer. Just don't put them in the dryer.

I am happily hunting for a cashmere sweater for the hubs. I am hoping to use it as a x-mas present.

Oh, and thanks for the washing tip.

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2016, 09:37:32 PM »
Men's cashmere is a little harder to find than women's, in my experience, but I've found several men's.  I have about 70-80 cashmere sweaters from thrift stores (yes, I have a bit of an addiction).  I wash mine in my washer as well, hand wash cycle, spin dryer and hang to dry.

catwoman106

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2016, 05:27:31 PM »

Completely agree. Maybe - if there was a situation where there weren't enough used clothes to go around there might be some merit to her argument. However, at least in my 2 decades of thrift shopping, the stores are usually overflowing with inventory. You are recycling, saving money, and many thrift stores (goodwill, salvation army, hospice thrift stores) are using the proceeds to help train employees (disabled, low income, just need experience) or donate to charities.

Thrift proudly! Especially if you donate too!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2016, 06:26:46 AM »

Ridiculous. The vast majority of donated clothing is pulped for rags or shipped to someplace like sub-saharan Africa. Most of the other donations go to similarly low-value final locations. You're RESCUING great stuff that otherwise would be wasted.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2016, 03:06:48 PM »
I looove thrift shopping! Usually shopping stresses me out, but thrift stores for some reason don't.
I regularly score cashmere, wool and silk items, and it saved us tons of money when the hubs changed job and needed very presentable clothing - I bought him heaps of pullover in cashmere or merino wool that he could wear facing the client. This very week-end I bought him 10 shirts - all 100% cotton, of 'nice' brands, and barely used.
The 'problem' with this kind f shopping is that now I'm spoiled - I can't shop in regular retail stores anymore... "40$ for a dress?! Are they crazy?! Made of freaking POLYESTER?!"

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2016, 08:10:59 PM »
I've started thrift store shopping recently too.  I have a question:

Does the store treat the clothes with some kind of bug killer to prevent the spread of bedbugs, lice, etc?  Or even - Moths!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFf9GifEHhg

I would assume they have to treat everything coming in.  Is that why the store smells a little funny (I had a sneezing fit in the store once).  I always run my purchases through a cold water wash with a little detergent - hopefully that's enough to clean off any chemicals.  Anyone know more details on this?

I doubt they wash it - it wouldn't be cost-effective for them, considering the volume
My way to prevent moths is to toss everything I buy in the freezer for a day or two, then launder it. 

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2016, 08:52:11 AM »
I've started thrift store shopping recently too.  I have a question:

Does the store treat the clothes with some kind of bug killer to prevent the spread of bedbugs, lice, etc?  Or even - Moths!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFf9GifEHhg

I would assume they have to treat everything coming in.  Is that why the store smells a little funny (I had a sneezing fit in the store once).  I always run my purchases through a cold water wash with a little detergent - hopefully that's enough to clean off any chemicals.  Anyone know more details on this?

I doubt they wash it - it wouldn't be cost-effective for them, considering the volume
My way to prevent moths is to toss everything I buy in the freezer for a day or two, then launder it.
I've been to plenty of stores that do advertise that they clean all the clothes before putting them on the floor, but unless they specifically state it, I would not assume it to be the case.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2016, 10:07:31 AM »
Not a true thrift store, but I just moved to a new neighborhood (a pretty high-fashion one, one of the "cool" parts of LA). Went to the consignment shop around the corner and it was AWESOME. Got a very gently used (if used at all) maxi dress and romper for my upcoming vacation (since it's now fall, it's harder to find summery clothes at regular stores). Grand total was $17. I love buying designer or really "fashiony" clothes, but they are expensive and aren't often classic enough to last a long time, and I HATE spending lots of money on casual, non-work clothes. It's perfect!

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2016, 10:37:11 AM »
The local Salvation Army was going out of business. 75% off everything. When we asked about some $.29 dishes and cups we were told the 75% off comes off THAT price. Which came to like $.07 dishes and glasses. So we ended up getting:

-Set of 8 juice cups
-5 margarita glasses
-8 wine glasses
-8 Dinner plates (nicer than the ones we already have)
-Microwave safe glass dishes
-Tongs, wine bottle opener, cheese grater
-Ironing board
-250 green and gold bows for the holidays

The total was $6.31

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2016, 11:12:25 AM »
Men's cashmere is a little harder to find than women's, in my experience, but I've found several men's.  I have about 70-80 cashmere sweaters from thrift stores (yes, I have a bit of an addiction).  I wash mine in my washer as well, hand wash cycle, spin dryer and hang to dry.

just bought 2 coats and 1 jacket from thrift store
one winter coat : woolen & good brand (Tristan)
the other 2 a mixed fiber
I don't know how to clean them, probably should dry clean them but I need to figure something cheaper
anybody has tips for cleaning woolen winter coats?

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »

just bought 2 coats and 1 jacket from thrift store
one winter coat : woolen & good brand (Tristan)
the other 2 a mixed fiber:I washed these in cold water gentle cycle and hung up to dry, looks good
I don't know how to wash the woolen winter coat though?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!