Author Topic: Thrift Store Shopping  (Read 90376 times)

texxan1

• Stubble
Re: Thrift Store Shopping
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2016, 02:19:13 AM »
I love this thread... I have been buying all my cloths from thrift stores for a few years... its amazing what my friends say when I tell them I shop for cloths at goodwill.   They cant seem to figure out why someone with my income shops there.... because I want to retire early that's way.. and my weight goes up and down and I hate giving retail outlets any of my money

SHOP ON, cheaply

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2016, 05:38:38 AM »
Okay, so men's casual and farm-suitable clothing? Not so much around here because it's worn out and then patched and worn some more by the original owners.  But I'm going to have to amend my opinion of men's clothing generally around here, because apparently dress stuff is in much better shape. Husband has a two-day campus visit coming up, and yesterday we found him a new sport jacket and three pair of slacks in just a few minutes for a total of five dollars plus tax.  I'll buy him one new dress shirt and he'll be good for both days.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2016, 08:01:27 PM »
I hear ya! I find it difficult to find nice mens clothing for the hubs, most of it is really worn looking and wayyy out of date. Yesterday, I found a decent t-shirt for him for $3.

I am still on the quest for a nice cashmere sweater :)

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2016, 08:30:52 PM »
got a new Jones NY jacket for 8.99 and 2 dressy sweaters at 2.99 and 5.99

KT Beans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
I'm a huge garage sale shopper, although that's only during summertime on account of the weather so I hit the thrift shops in winter time to tide me over. 

Some highlights:
I bought a Norwex mop system (that MLM reps sell for $125)...I paid $5 at a garage sale and resold for $50 on my local buy n sell group. 
I bought a pair of wool baby booties (Padraigs...very popular in the hippie circles I run in) for $5 and resold them for $25
I bought the game Junior Pictionary at a garage sale for $1 for my daughter.... I'd seen it at Goodwill for $5 but never pulled the trigger
Bought a full snow suit (jacket and snow pants) for $10 at a garage sale and it's been worn by both my daughters.  My youngest may wear it again next year even.  The pants I did replace with another thrift store find for $5
I bought an IPod classic (no longer made) with 8GB storage for $10 at a garage sale that I doubt was ever used.  Why someone would sell something like that at a garage sale is beyond me.
I bought two lightweight, super cute, and in great shape sleds for $2 (total) at a garage sale that Costco was selling that year for $20 ea. 

I love a good deal and often have lists going for myself and my friends/family and keep an eye out for things they need...I then have my mom check for things I'm looking for either for myself or my kids.  Win win!  I also shop second hand for some of my kids' birthday and Christmas presents and love telling people where I got things (if they ask).  Usually they're horrified, but hey, I'm looking to retire in a few years and they're in debt, and that makes me even happier with my good deals.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:00:07 PM by KT Beans »

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2017, 07:04:52 AM »
My son is 12yo and we have clothed him out of thrift stores and consignment shops for about 80-90% of his wardrobe.  That's since birth!  My wife also buys about 40% of her clothes from thrift stores and I'm amazed at how well she dresses.  I have a football players body so it is hard to find clothes a thrift stores that fit.  So I mostly buy my jeans and shorts (my wardrobe stables) from Walmart. 

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »
I'm working on a quilt for my parents (in collaboration with my sister and sister-in-law).  I found a yard of fabric that had chefs and different food and cooking utensils all over it for 79 cents.  It's the good stuff that would be at least $10/yard in a store.  It will fit right in and is good for a "Dad block".

chaseboy2010

« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2017, 09:25:42 PM »
The local Salvation Army was going out of business. 75% off everything. When we asked about some $.29 dishes and cups we were told the 75% off comes off THAT price. Which came to like $.07 dishes and glasses. So we ended up getting:

-Set of 8 juice cups
-5 margarita glasses
-8 wine glasses
-8 Dinner plates (nicer than the ones we already have)
-Microwave safe glass dishes
-Tongs, wine bottle opener, cheese grater
-Ironing board
-250 green and gold bows for the holidays

The total was $6.31

Sorry for the late reply, but that's pretty amazing. Do you recall if they had any clothes also? Were they also very low even before the 75% discount?

There are a lot of boutique thrift stores in Atlanta with good stuff that's probably 50-75% off retail, but maybe I should check out Salvation Army or Goodwill for the kind of prices you got.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2017, 08:43:31 PM »
I hear ya! I find it difficult to find nice mens clothing for the hubs, most of it is really worn looking and wayyy out of date. Yesterday, I found a decent t-shirt for him for $3.

I am still on the quest for a nice cashmere sweater :)

This t-shirt got a tear in the front and it's not even on a seam. I had only washed it twice! I am slightly annoyed because it was practically brand "new". Oh well, I am happy that I purchased it from a thrift store and not from a mall.

In other thrifting news, Mr. TC and I went to Sally Ann the other day. He totally shopped it out:
- 4 scrub shirts, 3 scrub pants for $3.99 each (work clothes)
- 2 golf balls for a buck (to loosen up muscles)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2017, 05:58:33 AM »
I had a great thrift find a new copy of the board game Qwarkle for $3 (reg. $30-35) and a wool hat from Danier for $2. The game is wonderful because it's what my dad asked for for his birthday! He will be even more excited that I thrifted it!

Benny3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »
I checked out two local Goodwills this week.  For my 6 yo girl I found 4 pairs of pants and about 9 shirts.  For my 8 yo boy I scored 3 pairs of gym shorts all nike brand (his favorite!) and 2 Hurley t-shirts.  I also got a long sleeved rash guard swim shirt for each of them and they are Lands' End brand. Those alone retail for around $35 each and I got them for $1.99 a piece!!!  Total was around $58.  I also went to Target for a few fills in, 1 pair of capri jeans, 2 leggings and 4 pairs of underwear for her.  Total was $37.00.  So for $94 I was able to complete their wardrobes until back to school in August.   Amazing!!

I still can't believe how inexpensive Goodwill was and the clothes all looked so new she didn't know the difference.  I took the tags off and laid them out in matching outfits while she was at school and had her do a "fashion show" for us to show off all her "new" clothes.  She loved being a little fashionista for the day.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »
You guys, I think I am going to hit some stores today.  I am looking for a size 12 boys' suit for my son's first communion, and a camping style rain coat for me.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2017, 12:07:18 PM »
Fingers crossed for you @Kbecks

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2017, 12:34:48 PM »
A couple weeks ago I went to the thrift store to look for a pair of winter exercise pants.  I ended up finding an insulated pair I can wear in the weather, a thinner pair I can wear around the house/bed, a pair of black leather shoes I can wear with my suits that I've needed for months, and a full sized suitcase.  Total cost=$30.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2017, 03:43:55 PM »
Nice, Travis.

I went to two Goodwill stores today.  One was in a more fancy suburb but the store was more crowded and cramped, and the shoppers were absolutely not fancy. 

No suit, but I found two perfect Nordstrom brand dress shirts, one light blue, one blue checks for $5 each.
Bought some other things for the boys including a radical print pair of Nike shorts that I hope fit someone.

At my main Goodwill the giant one that plays 80's music and I love it - I got the boys some casual clothes, a cute skull halloween bowl for $0.99 and some stocking hangers for $7 that are obviously new from Target just overstock.  Target is down the road.  I am starting to suspect that the giant goodwill gets overflow from other locations??

And, I noticed that Goodwill clothing may be returned in 10 days for store credit with a receipt. This means I may force the boys to try everything on and return anything they reject.  Cool.

I have 2.5 months to find the first communion suit.  I probably should look for a dress for me too.  My nephew marries in June and I would like to find a dress for that at Goodwill, but the setting of the wedding is not announced yet, so it's too soon.   For the suit, I think I will call around to resale shops next to see if anyone has anything that sounds promising.  Ebay suits are running $40ish and I think I can do better.

My distinct problem with Goodwill is overbuying the clothes.  I need to be careful to be picky, because another shirt or pair of pants is always out there.  There is no shortage.  Time to force kids to try things on.... 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:45:35 PM by KBecks »

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2017, 08:41:06 PM »
I am a very picky clothing shopper! Even when I wasn't frugal, I could spend all day shopping at the mall and come home with nothing. I also own a business and feel the need to present myself in a way that doesn't come off as cheap. I buy lightly used designer clothing from Thredup.com. They have an under $15 section and they give $10 to new customers on their first purchase. They occasionally have 20% off coupon codes and free shipping on orders over $79. For my last purchase I got 8 designer sweaters for $10! It beats stinky grandma goodwill clothes IMO!

Mr Chin Stubble

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2017, 04:57:02 AM »
I've gotten some great deals at thrift stores. However more and more I'm finding the best deals are clothes already in your closet with the occasional purchase of something new on sale that is a NEED. In the past year I think my only clothes purchases were: designer sneakers from a thrift store for like 200 dollars -- which they go for 3x that new -- and not very mustachio. Otherwise i bought work clothes: shoes, tie, and belt and a pair of jeans for 20 dollars on clearance. I also bought a pair of boots on clearance from Sears for 20 dollars, but I don't have anything for the snow so that is really a need also.

I don't think these purchases bought used would matter much since I only buy what I need now and on sale. I am the guy who only goes up to the register with one thing and, they are like "that's it?" But I never got these people who walk up with like 20 articles of clothing and have like 20 coupons (they obviously do this a lot and it's obviously a hobby for them). They also never seem to be dressed better than I either.

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2017, 07:29:29 AM »
My distinct problem with Goodwill is overbuying the clothes.  I need to be careful to be picky, because another shirt or pair of pants is always out there.  There is no shortage.  Time to force kids to try things on....

My problem too.  I've bought things that weren't perfect just because they were such great bargains.  I need to stop doing that.  Going to Savers today.  I'll be looking for a button down collared shirt to wear under a sweater.  I already have one but it's so stiff that it's not comfortable under the sweater (although fine on it's own).  I need to resist the urge to buy unneeded, not-quite-perfect items.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
I've gotten some great deals at thrift stores. However more and more I'm finding the best deals are clothes already in your closet with the occasional purchase of something new on sale that is a NEED. In the past year I think my only clothes purchases were: designer sneakers from a thrift store for like 200 dollars -- which they go for 3x that new -- and not very mustachio. Otherwise i bought work clothes: shoes, tie, and belt and a pair of jeans for 20 dollars on clearance. I also bought a pair of boots on clearance from Sears for 20 dollars, but I don't have anything for the snow so that is really a need also.

I don't think these purchases bought used would matter much since I only buy what I need now and on sale. I am the guy who only goes up to the register with one thing and, they are like "that's it?" But I never got these people who walk up with like 20 articles of clothing and have like 20 coupons (they obviously do this a lot and it's obviously a hobby for them). They also never seem to be dressed better than I either. 

Perhaps they have different things going on in their lives than you do in your life???  I can think of a number of occasions that I've bought a whole bunch of stuff at one time:

A few years back, I bought a bunch of jackets/blazers at Goodwill, as well as a few pairs of dress pants and a couple of tops.  I had moved from a job where I could dress casually all the time, to one where more formality was required.  I basically needed a new wardrobe.

This fall, my mother fell and broke her wrist very badly.  Between needing tops that she could fit over her cast, and needing pants and skirts that were loose enough for her to pull up with one hand (or pull over her head, in the case of skirts) I needed to purchase "like 20 articles of clothing."  Some of which were returned after I took them home for her to try on.  She was not at all up to going thrift shopping post surgery, so that's why I did it for her.  The small store credit that resulted from the returns was spent on some of the new items they carry periodically, including winter hat/glove sets that I donated for a Christmas drive.

I've gained weight over the last couple of years, and my wardrobe has gradually whittled down to a few pairs of pants that I can wear.  So yesterday I went thrift shopping and bought 4 pairs of dress pants (so I can retire my two current well-worn pairs), plus 4 pairs of capris for the upcoming spring/summer season, and 3 versatile tops.  Total clothing cost was $65.  I kicked myself for not checking the website before I went, to see what coupons were available.  I could have knocked another $5 off my total bill!

And a couple of other examples that come to mind:

I've known people who do fostering of multiple kids at a time, long term placements because the kids are special needs.  They bought all their kids clothes at the thrift store, to keep the cost low, and because the kids are kind of hard on their clothes, they needed fairly frequent replacement.  Absolutely, they would have been carrying armloads to the cash desk, because they'd have set aside a day a few times a year to replenish the kids wardrobes, and if coupons were available, they'd definitely be using them too. 

Some people may also be buying and reselling on Ebay or in a more upscale "vintage" store.

These are just a few possible explanations for the phenomenon that you've seen.  Hope that helps you see their (seemingly excessive) shopping in a different light!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2017, 11:46:02 PM »
Not being totally satisfied with the black pants I bought yesterday, and knowing that it would be helpful to have a 2nd pair of them, I hit Value Village today when I was in the neighbourhood of one.

Did much better with keeping myself to just a couple of items, but being VV instead of Sal Army, the price was not as good.  I did find a GREAT pair of black pants, like new condition, Ann Taylor brand.  They were $15 (compared to would have been price at Sal Army - $6).  Also got a gorgeous red cardigan/wrap type thing that I think I will wear often, and which will eventually likely take the place of a black cardigan/wrap type thing I have been wearing a lot of, and that is starting to look a bit worn.  $13 - also more than the same item would have been at SA.  Also found a fake blouse under a black cardigan thing that looked really nice on, and will be good for those days when I need to look professional but don't need to wear a clerical shirt.  That is a minor gap in my wardrobe that I'm happy to have something to fill in with, and for only $4.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2017, 05:40:46 AM »
All those clothes would have been at least $40 - $70 in the regular store.  Glad you found some nice things!

Mr Chin Stubble

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2017, 06:58:02 AM »

Perhaps they have different things going on in their lives than you do in your life???  I can think of a number of occasions that I've bought a whole bunch of stuff at one time:

A few years back, I bought a bunch of jackets/blazers at Goodwill, as well as a few pairs of dress pants and a couple of tops.  I had moved from a job where I could dress casually all the time, to one where more formality was required.  I basically needed a new wardrobe.

This fall, my mother fell and broke her wrist very badly.  Between needing tops that she could fit over her cast, and needing pants and skirts that were loose enough for her to pull up with one hand (or pull over her head, in the case of skirts) I needed to purchase "like 20 articles of clothing."  Some of which were returned after I took them home for her to try on.  She was not at all up to going thrift shopping post surgery, so that's why I did it for her.  The small store credit that resulted from the returns was spent on some of the new items they carry periodically, including winter hat/glove sets that I donated for a Christmas drive.

I've gained weight over the last couple of years, and my wardrobe has gradually whittled down to a few pairs of pants that I can wear.  So yesterday I went thrift shopping and bought 4 pairs of dress pants (so I can retire my two current well-worn pairs), plus 4 pairs of capris for the upcoming spring/summer season, and 3 versatile tops.  Total clothing cost was $65.  I kicked myself for not checking the website before I went, to see what coupons were available.  I could have knocked another $5 off my total bill!

I've known people who do fostering of multiple kids at a time, long term placements because the kids are special needs.  They bought all their kids clothes at the thrift store, to keep the cost low, and because the kids are kind of hard on their clothes, they needed fairly frequent replacement.  Absolutely, they would have been carrying armloads to the cash desk, because they'd have set aside a day a few times a year to replenish the kids wardrobes, and if coupons were available, they'd definitely be using them too. 

Some people may also be buying and reselling on Ebay or in a more upscale "vintage" store.

These are just a few possible explanations for the phenomenon that you've seen.  Hope that helps you see their (seemingly excessive) shopping in a different light!

It's one thing if it's an isolated incident but it is so common that I'm the exception with my one thing at the register. Am I to believe that 90 percent of the people who do this happen to have a broken arm or whatever and just happen to need all new wardrobes? Let alone the fact that they have couponing down to a science? So I guess they learned that from the last thing that happened that required an all new wardrobe. Also I might get in trouble for this but, I can't help but notice it's almost always women doing this. You did this in the last thread ... someone says something obvious you have to pull some  crazy idea that is the opposite.

Although I guess rec shopping  at a thrift store cuz you got stuck in traffic-- seems more Mustachian than the strip club I used to hit up when the traffic was bad before the bridge where I used to live.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:52:23 AM by Mr Chin Stubble »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2017, 11:07:24 AM »

It's one thing if it's an isolated incident but it is so common that I'm the exception with my on thing. Am I to believe that 90 percent of the people who do this happen to have a broken arm or whatever and just happen to need all. We wardrobes? Let alone the fact that they have couponing down to a science? So I guess they learned that from the last thing that happened that required an all new wardrobe. Also I might get in trouble for this but, I can't help but notice it's almost always women doing this. You did this in the last thread ... everyone someone says something obvious you have to pull some  crazy idea that is the opposite.

Although I guess rec shopping cuz you got stuck in traffic at a thrift store -- seems more Mustachian than the strip club I used to hit up when the traffic was bad before the bridge where I used to live.

1.  Statistically speaking, I think you'll find that women still do most of the clothes shopping not only for themselves, but for their whole families.  Many of my friends buy all of their husband's clothes, even.  And by and large, they are also the ones responsible for managing tiny household budgets so things like couponing, etc.  And having couponing down to a science - it's not hard.  I haven't had to work that hard at it to get good at it, but why not do it if it saves a bit more money?

2.  I never said that people are never doing recreational shopping, I'm just saying that there are a whole lot of other possible explanations out there that would account for a significant portion of the people you see in line at the thrift store with an armload of clothes.  Yes, I have been shopping at thrift stores for a long time, and it's pretty easy to spot the vintage/antique dealers scouting the merchandise, and the mothers doing back to school or "replace the cold weather clothes" winter shopping for their families, and so on.  I see those kinds of people in the thrift store every time I shop, so I know they account for a good part of the traffic there.

3.  I don't even know what you're referring to in the bolded part (what thread, what "crazy idea" that I had that was the opposite of what everyone else said).  And I don't care, because it doesn't matter.  Maybe you're unaware that the first rule of this forum is "Don't be a jerk."  Throwing an insult at me just because I share a different perspective would *perhaps* fall into that category, no???

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »

1.  Statistically speaking, I think you'll find that women still do most of the clothes shopping not only for themselves, but for their whole families.  Many of my friends buy all of their husband's clothes, even.  And by and large, they are also the ones responsible for managing tiny household budgets so things like couponing, etc.

Just chiming in to confirm this. Most women I know are responsible for clothes shopping for their families, and to buy the core of the partner's wardrobe (shirts, underwear, socks) to which he adds 'fancier' stuff, if at all.
This is one of the tasks my husband was very happy to outsource to me the minute we moved in together...

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »
I bought a cute little purse today for $1.99, I didn't buy it for the brand name but it's a Tommy Hilfiger, so a pretty good price score. I am debating keeping it, but it's also in immaculate condition so I might give it as a gift.

http://imgur.com/dvAfqno   
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:34:39 AM by LindseyC »

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2017, 09:47:01 AM »
I bought a cute little purse today for $1.99, I didn't buy it for the brand name but it's a Tommy Hilfiger, so a pretty good price score. I am debating keeping it, but it's also in immaculate condition so I might give it as a gift.

http://imgur.com/dvAfqno   

That was a great deal!  What a cute purse!  On a side note, our cats look like twins.  :)

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2017, 12:56:54 PM »
Such a cute purse, and a beauty of cat too.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2017, 01:41:04 PM »
Hey PJ, I thought those comments from Chin_Stubble were out of line and I was about to jump to your defense, but I see you don't need my help. Just want you to know that I thought his comments were in clear violation of rule #1. I loved your reply to his original post and the one in response to his snark was even better. Go, PJ!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2017, 02:51:48 PM »
New Evan Picone suit, wearable for interviews or major presentations, in my own personal weird combination of mismatched top and bottom sizes, and the pants are even machine washable. Oh, yeah, and it was $2.50.

I have two kinds of days at thrift stores, it's-all-shit days and lightning strikes. Yesterday was a lightning strike.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2017, 03:59:41 PM »
I got a new job in outside sales that more or less requires that I wear much nicer clothing. Today the thrift store down the road was having a 50% off sale on all clothes. Wifey and I got there when it opened, and went to work. I'm 6'6" and slim, so finding dress shirts that fit me is a chore, even at retail shops. Finding nice dress slacks or jeans is nearly impossible as I'm a 36x36. I sifted through several hundred shirts and came out with 7 that fit me well and which style works with my personality. Total cost for the 7 shirts was $29. Not a single shirt retails for less than $40.

I found a very nice Marmot brand long sleeve jacket for $5.

We got 4 very nice pillows for $5/each for our futon. We didn't have any couch/futon pillows, so that was a score.

Wifey bought 12 items for $36.50. Every item was brand name stuff that retails for $25-$40.

The best item today? A vintage 1950's era Pendleton Wool Mens Long Coat in size 44L. You can't even buy this thing anymore. I paid $9. Research shows I can buy one on eBay in this size for $65, but buying a new coat from Pendleton would cost well over $250.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »
I got a new job in outside sales that more or less requires that I wear much nicer clothing. Today the thrift store down the road was having a 50% off sale on all clothes. Wifey and I got there when it opened, and went to work. I'm 6'6" and slim, so finding dress shirts that fit me is a chore, even at retail shops. Finding nice dress slacks or jeans is nearly impossible as I'm a 36x36. I sifted through several hundred shirts and came out with 7 that fit me well and which style works with my personality. Total cost for the 7 shirts was $29. Not a single shirt retails for less than $40.

We got 4 very nice pillows for $5/each for our futon. We didn't have any couch/futon pillows, so that was a score.

Wifey bought 12 items for $36.50. Every item was brand name stuff that retails for $25-$40.

The best item today? A vintage 1950's era Pendleton Wool Mens Long Coat in size 44L. You can't even buy this thing anymore. I paid $9. Research shows I can buy one on eBay in this size for $65, but buying a new coat from Pendleton would cost well over $250.

Quite the score! It's nice that both you and the wifey found something. Usually when I go with thrifting with MrTC one of us will hit the jackpot and the other will find nothing...

Congrats again on your new job!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2017, 07:10:34 AM »
bigalsmith101 - Congrats on the new job and the finds!

Thanks all for the cat compliments. About 5 minutes after I took that photo the cat tried to get in the purse, which is about 2 sizes too small for my spatially challenged cat.

I had one more find last night. We were going to visit a friend and stopped at a thrift store that was just past their house. I found a vintage, cased, art glass vase (I collect art glass) that was $2.99. Its filthy and will need some interior and exterior cleaning, but it's very unusual in shape and colouring and would be worth upwards of $60.

I don't have a massive collection; I am pretty picky about what I buy, I only buy found glass (as opposed to buying from actual dealers) and I also sell a lot of what I find. So to find a piece that is unique and cheap is always a happy dance moment!

My vase: http://imgur.com/9SjhiXt 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:08:12 PM by LindseyC »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2017, 08:26:42 AM »
New Evan Picone suit, wearable for interviews or major presentations, in my own personal weird combination of mismatched top and bottom sizes, and the pants are even machine washable. Oh, yeah, and it was $2.50.

I have two kinds of days at thrift stores, it's-all-shit days and lightning strikes. Yesterday was a lightning strike.

Yes!

And that sounds like a very good day at the thrift store!  Love when I go and find a sale on!  If that also coincides with a lightning day, that's the best!

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2017, 02:11:22 PM »
We go to our thrift store and The Lady likes finding work out clothing and other things cheaply. I've found some good outdoor work clothing.

My best find ever was three paintings 3'x4' One is by a known painter and worth about 2k.

I always look out for cast iron stuff. I found some pretty rough shape vintage cast iron pans for cheap, soaked them in lye to remove the crust, seasoned them and they are now being used in our kitchen.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2017, 01:58:40 PM »
Confession: it's rainy and gloomy today so I hit the thrift shops in search of some "spring" brightness. I spend some money, I will confess in the Uber Frugal thread shortly. :) Not the MMM way I know.

But.... I did score a beautiful big pottery plant pot that goes with another pot I already own (not matchy matchy, just compliments) and I also picked up a beautiful vintage art glass vase to add to my family. $7 total for both. I also picked up two cheap plants that were reduced down (not at the thrift store) so i have something for my two pots and can add a little life to my house to combat the winter blues.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »
Well we got a little bored this afternoon so I told my 7 year old we'd try to find some garage sales that were nearing the end to get a table and chairs for the kids art activities. 

So we hit one of the main roads and there are only a couple of signs out. So I check craigslist free and someone has just posted that they are trying to clear out their storage units. So we head that way.

Got 4 adult chairs, 3 kids chairs, folding kid table, new outdoor light fixture,  wire racks, and an assortment of oddities. Free.

Most importantly, the kids are pleased.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2017, 05:38:53 AM »
Fun stuff.  Although I am trying to cut back on shopping, I found my son's first communion suit at a cute little children's resale shop with prices only slightly higher than Goodwill.  And, they have a 20% off if you spend $20 promotion, and they have some sort of loyalty card stamp, so the prices are reasonable.

My oldest son said he needed more casual shirts, and he prefers soft material.  I found 3 very soft long sleeve shirts in his size.  I also got a loud pair of under armor orange shorts that we don't need but they are super soft.  And I also got a gymboree shirt, another shirt and pants for my youngest who is growing like crazy.   Spent $40, on 7 or 8 items, not that bad for what we got.

Now I'm cooling it on spending!  I ordered some REI stuff yesterday to outfit middle son for his Boy Scout camping trips.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2017, 06:39:17 AM »
I love our salvation army store. I get almost all my work shirts there. 90% are Ralph lauren. Great condition and they seem to launder them first. When i first started going i could get ralph for $4 a shirt but they seem to have caught onto me so now they are $8, unless it's the tag sale at 50% off.

Our daughter used to call it "the mall" ...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »
So I check craigslist free....

I didn't even know there was a "come and get it" section of Craigslist. If only I wasn't a few months from moving....

Exprezchef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »
My wife has had some great scores at our local food and clothes closet. She is a Girl Scout troop leader and every-other month she has her troop volunteer there. Good experience for the girls. She was looking for a camping stove for their upcoming camping trip and low-and-behold she picked up a very nice Coleman two burner camping stove for a whopping $10.00. When I priced it online, it was $170.00 for the same model. By its condition, I think it was maybe used only once or twice before somebody dropped it off. All it needed was a good cleaning from all of the dust on it from sitting in somebody's garage.

My wife unfortunately broke her ankle a few weeks ago and has been hobbling around the house with crutches. She definitely needed an easier way to get around while she heals from the surgery. I priced out a wheelchair at a store that specializes in such items and my wife and I agreed a new one was way too expensive (they started at $350). They offered to rent us a basic chair for $20.00 a week. On a whim, I called the food and clothes closet just to see if they had any chairs laying around. I was surprised to find out that they had a bunch of such items and would loan one to me for as long as we needed it------for free! They also had a loaner shower chair that I picked up as well. Amazing.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »
I've been looking for a neck tie for the hubs for a while, and yesterday I found a like-new Ermenegildo Zegna for 2$ ! It's formal but not too much, in a nice blue pallette, and the hubs was very pleased. Me happy!

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2017, 11:39:58 PM »
I love our salvation army store. I get almost all my work shirts there. 90% are Ralph lauren. Great condition and they seem to launder them first. When i first started going i could get ralph for $4 a shirt but they seem to have caught onto me so now they are $8, unless it's the tag sale at 50% off.

Our daughter used to call it "the mall" ...

We would often give her a $10 budget and say - 'go to town kid'. She'd do her own shopping and usually picked some really cool stuff.

Overheard our daughter (then 8 years old) telling her school friends about this "great shop where you can get super cool stuff really cheap, and get this - everything is unique! There's only 1 of everything, not like those other stores where they have just lots of the same thing".

And there is no reason to feel guilty about shopping there when you have money. They need the cash to pay employees etc, and the profits go to really help people. They usually have waaaay more stuff than they can ever sell, and it otherwise ends up going to make rags or to landfill. Plus I find the staff super friendly and really nice.

Just don't go to my store and buy Ralph Laurens, OK? I'd like to keep that little secret to myself. ;-)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2017, 08:08:44 AM »
I continued my urge to add a little "spring" to my house. I bought two more flower pots for $6 total. Both were beautiful pots that I have no doubt were around $25 in their original stores. Stopped at the grocery store and picked up a few $3 tropical plants.

I have now spent about $60 in total this winter and I have 11 new plants, 4 new pots (the rest of the pots I already owned) and little gardens all over my house. It has 100% made a difference in my house, I have received quite a few compliments.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »
Found the 8-inch and 10-inch skillets that were missing from my Revereware set. Both were in excellent condition. $12 for the pair.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2017, 12:35:37 AM »
I continued my urge to add a little "spring" to my house. I bought two more flower pots for $6 total. Both were beautiful pots that I have no doubt were around $25 in their original stores. Stopped at the grocery store and picked up a few $3 tropical plants.

I have now spent about $60 in total this winter and I have 11 new plants, 4 new pots (the rest of the pots I already owned) and little gardens all over my house. It has 100% made a difference in my house, I have received quite a few compliments.

Sweet score! Last year, I purchased many container pots at the thrift store priced between $1-6 and some of them were brand new.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
Where do folks recommend for kitchen supplies? I'm looking for some pans, utensils, and a few plates. Are tag sales the way to go?

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »
Where do folks recommend for kitchen supplies? I'm looking for some pans, utensils, and a few plates. Are tag sales the way to go?

It really depends on your market. Nice pots at thrifts here are rare, so i'd say ask friends/family for extras or do garage sales. If you need new, Tuesday morning is having their next price reduction on clearance items sometime in march....there were some nice sets that will go to 60% off their price if I recall correctly. 

On dishes, find a cheap thrift. The cheapie near me sells random glassware 10 cents each and random dishes probably 25cents. I picked up a set of small bowls for $1, etc.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2017, 10:59:11 PM »
Estate Sales are the ticket, because unlike garage or tag or boot sales, which are highly curated, as they say in store closing ads, "Everything must go..."

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2017, 11:28:17 PM »
Found the 8-inch and 10-inch skillets that were missing from my Revereware set. Both were in excellent condition. $12 for the pair.

I'm always on the prowl for cast iron skillets in goodwill or second hand stores. Often get them for $1 or $2. Most people don't know how to derust/re-season them or even how to cook with them.

Use them to batch bake a load of pies (usually steak and kidney - yum) and freeze them in the skillet for later reheating - oven to freezer to oven to table!

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2017, 07:38:35 AM »
Mr Mark, how do you defuse a bad one?   We love ours and I'm about to tell the chef about freezing pies in the skillet. Love the freezer to oven track!  We need more $2 rusty old cast iron skillets!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!