Author Topic: This Friday, my first act of badassity will be complete  (Read 5976 times)

perditax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
This Friday, my first act of badassity will be complete
« on: July 06, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »
Hello!  I've been reading MMM for a few months now, and I have just a tiny mustache so far.  Mostly just stubble.  But I'm feeling some badassity today.  Three and a half years ago, I hit a wall.  Too much credit card debt!  I was barely making the minimum payments.  I had just about $22,000 worth of debt.  This Friday, once my paycheck is electronically deposited in the bank, I'll be making the very last payment on that debt.  $22,000 in 3.5 years, and I'm making under $30K (and I'm single, so there's only my income).  I think that's pretty badass!  As of Friday, my only debt will be student loans.  They're $60,000.  That seems like so much, but I got a third of that paid in under 4 years without really being good at Mustachianism yet.  As I grow a larger, more luxurious mustache, I'll likely find out I can pay that off faster than I think I can.  i have a 401(k), but it's small right now since I've been living paycheck to paycheck for years.  But as my mustache grows, my retirement savings will grow.  There's a Roth IRA in my future too.

I only started to learn about Mustachianism in the last few months, but it's already saved me money.  I was with Sprint for my phone, spending $72 a month because I'm a smartphone addict.  I'm with Republic Wireless now, and I was using the $25 plan.  I just switched to the $10 plan to see how that works for me.  I don't have WiFi at work, and the $10 plan will force me to concentrate on work rather than my phone.  It saves money and forces me to unplug for 8 hours each day, hopefully breaking some of my addiction.  I stopped spending the $15 a month on World of Warcraft this year.  I love the game, but there are free games online I can play.  Kingdom of Loathing is free and very funny.  I don't have cable.  I got a Roku.  $8 Netflix and the HD antenna I have give me a lot of TV choices.  I'm thinking of adding Amazon Prime.  Free ebooks to check out, free music streaming, and free movie and TV shows.  If you break the $99/year cost down, it's $8.25 a month, so that would bring my movie and TV cost to $16.25.

My stubble has plans for me.  I'm living in an unsafe house in an unsafe neighborhood right now, with no kitchen: only a dorm fridge, a small microwave, and a toaster oven.  I've been here 5 years too long, but it's been cheap and I couldn't get out with the credit cards taking so much of my income.  Now I'll save for a couple months and then, once I have a deposit saved, I'll move closer to work.  I'll have a kitchen to do more cooking, which will save me money on groceries.  I'll learn to pressure can because I can get a giant grocery sack of green beans at the farmer's market here for a buck or two and I hate having so many go to waste.  I'll start riding my bicycle to work, too.  It might take me a while to work up to that.  I'm morbidly obese.  I don't have the stamina for a long ride yet.  But I can start with short rides and work up to it.  I'll save gas and get in shape at the same time.  These are my goals for the next year.  By July 2015, perhaps my mustache will be almost fully grown in!

Sunflower

• Stubble
Re: This Friday, my first act of badassity will be complete
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »
Dude - way to go!! Sounds like life is getting better and better!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 08:28:17 PM »
You have accomplished a great deal on your salary!!  You will continue to do more and more and you'll be FI before you know it.

LatteLaura

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:32:41 PM »
Great job so far! It sounds like you have a good plan!

EricL

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
$22k in 3.5 years?  God damn that's awesome! 

Annf

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
That's awesome!  Keep at it and come back here for encouragement if you need it!

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »
I'm impressed.

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 08:41:27 PM »
You’ve made great progress.   Sounds like the move close to work is going to help you decrease your debt and size.   Check out this guy for inspiration of losing weight without spending much:
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/yourbestfitness/99-cent-diet-could-it-work-you

McGeens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »
Well done, so impressive!! Especially given your living arrangements. I've found that my health has improved as my financial management skills have increased. I think it's the sense of achievement and mastery which brings confidence to other areas of your life. I wish you all the best in your next slog to squash the SL's!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »
Keep up the good work - you are amazing! Mind you, there are an amazing amount of things you can cook with a microwave and a toaster oven!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 01:40:27 AM »
You sound so happy with what you've achieved so far (and so you should be)  Congratulations, and I hope you carry on posting - you now have a chorus of cheerleaders to keep on the job!

rpr

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 01:50:27 AM »
Perditax -- that is awesome.

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 04:50:49 AM »
I am so impressed with your perseverance and accomplishments...bravo! Nothing can stop you now! 

One thing to consider is finding a lifestyle-compatible roommate for your new space to share costs (easier said than done). You could also add a crockpot to your cooking equipment as it lets you prepare inexpensive meals that are waiting on you when you get home from work.  For me, cooking when I was tired from working all day increased the odds that I'd just eat out and a crockpot might help you to avoid that.

Good luck and way to go! Consider posting periodic updates here too so folks can share in your success. :)

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 07:49:33 AM »
Wahooooo!

Now work on yourself. If you are obese you need to focus on that. Cut out all processed food and sugar first. Then cut out most refines carbs. The weight will go away over time and stay off. You energy levels will jump a lot and you will fell better everyday.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 08:18:25 AM »
What a great job you've done!

You've proved that you don't need a 6-figure income to climb out of the hole.

aubreykate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Mustachian and proud
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
Wow!! That is awesome. I love how you focus first on your accomplishments! You have come so far!

usmarine1975

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
All I want to say is Congrats and join the rest of those who are commenting how Badass it is what you have done.  Congrat's congrats congrats. 

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »
Excellent job.. Well done sir!

Frank

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!