Author Topic: The weatherman said -30C with the wind; I said I'd bike anyway.  (Read 2600 times)

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
The weatherman said -30C with the wind; I said I'd bike anyway.
« on: January 07, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »
That's -22 F, for you metrically, challenged folk.  I must have overdressed, probably the toque crammed under my helmet; I was sweating when I got to work.
I even shaved a couple km off my commute by scooting across a frozen lake.

Last winter, I did -30C natural, -40C (that's -40F, for you metrically challenged folk) in the wind, but we haven't had a day that cold here... yet.

It's funny, this morning I was going to take the bus and pining for a nice, warm car so I could wussypants my way in. Instead, biking what took was an shitty, anxiety-filled morning and turned it into an awesome day.
Vive la bicyclette!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: The weatherman said -30C with the wind; I said I'd bike anyway.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:02:56 PM »
Very impressive!  Where do you live?

Christine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »
That's great! It was -28C with the wind factor here in Ottawa this morning. I ran/walked in because I'm too chicken to bike in (thanks to SmartWool, I was toasty). I tried biking in winter last week and was doing relatively ok but got scared after losing some control on an icy rut on a busy 4 lane road.  I need to plan a safer route and maybe get studded tires.

Prior to discovering the mustachian way of life in October 2012, I used to drive my car 5 km to work and conveniently parked it in a heated underground lot for the monthly sum of $220. To make matters worse, at lunchtime, I would join a couple of the gals and run a 5km loop in order to stay in shape. I saw driving to work as a necessity since it allowed me to pick up groceries whenever I wanted to...lol. Now I either run, walk or bike to work and love it. And I have the firm ass of 21 year old, at the age  of 45! 

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:09:29 PM »
That's great! It was -28C with the wind factor here in Ottawa this morning. I ran/walked in because I'm too chicken to bike in (thanks to SmartWool, I was toasty). I tried biking in winter last week and was doing relatively ok but got scared after losing some control on an icy rut on a busy 4 lane road.  I need to plan a safer route and maybe get studded tires.

Prior to discovering the mustachian way of life in October 2012, I used to drive my car 5 km to work and conveniently parked it in a heated underground lot for the monthly sum of $220. To make matters worse, at lunchtime, I would join a couple of the gals and run a 5km loop in order to stay in shape. I saw driving to work as a necessity since it allowed me to pick up groceries whenever I wanted to...lol. Now I either run, walk or bike to work and love it. And I have the firm ass of 21 year old, at the age  of 45! 

Yes, get studded tires! I find my schwalbes make a huge difference.
And congratulations on your ass.

@GuitarStv: Canada, eh? A bit north and a ways west of Christine.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
I've never seen a minus temp before.

Its 45C here in Sydney today. Got burnt standing in the shade. Any bike I may choose to ride would probably melt and weld itself to the road.

StarswirlTheMustached

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32:44 AM »
I've never seen a minus temp before.

Its 45C here in Sydney today. Got burnt standing in the shade. Any bike I may choose to ride would probably melt and weld itself to the road.
Last summer, I did 40km at 40C and 100% humidity in southern Ontario.
Though my partner on that ride succumbed to heat exhaustion and didn't finish... so the bike can take it, but the human body might be another story.