Author Topic: The robots are coming  (Read 4433 times)

Northern gal

• Bristles
  • Life at the beach shack
The robots are coming
« on: October 22, 2016, 08:46:56 PM »
Bit by bit, I have watched prices for household "robots" come down until it now made sense to bite the bullet and buy them.

So far we have

A Roomba vacuum. Bought as factory second for half price (with warranty), it cost us Australian $350 and was instrumental in convincing DH to get rid of the cleaner, which had previously cost $90 a fortnight. Our floors are polished concrete throughout and the robot does very well. We raised our IKEA Kivik sofas by putting them on legs so the robot actually does better than we could by vacuuming all the way underneath. I still mop the kitchen once a week and rest of the house once a month (skirting boards etc).

A Thermomix tm31. I sold my diving, snow boarding and motorcycling gear after having a baby and the proceeds were enough to get a two year old TM31. It makes great yoghurt, Gluten Free bread, risotto, Sorbet. Of course you can prepare all of these the traditional way too but the TM does make it easier with a baby. So far, it looks set to help us keep food costs down as I head back to work. DH loves it.

A massage chair - got it for A$200 from a nail salon that was closing. I use it as nursing chair and get a back rub at the same time. Getting a massage would be $60.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:10:16 PM by Norgirl »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: The robots are coming
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 10:45:08 PM »
... huh?

*checks the URL*

Massage chair?  Really?  I think my wife & I spend $10/yr on massage oils and the like.  I enjoy working on her back.  :)

Thermomix tm31?  That's... a $1000 kitchen gizmo?  Bit lost here, sorry - bread is from a bread machine, yoghurt is from a mixer, and I'm not entirely sure what the other things are.  It seems like some fancy mixer-thing?

Roomba?  M'kay.  They're neat, but... is it that hard to run a vacuum every few weeks?  Especially on concrete - a ShopVac for $70 does just fine on that kind of surface.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 10:47:17 PM »
...I sold my diving, snow boarding and motorcycling gear after having a baby...

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:53:45 PM »

<.<  I know this is the MMM forum, but I suppose this is a relevant thread to admit that my wife & I bought another motorcycle so we can ride with our daughter long before she can fit on the back of a motorcycle safely or legally.

It has a sidecar.  :D  2005 Ural Gear Up.

I work from home, we don't drive that much, both my wife & I ride, I do basically all my work (I used to let a dealership do valve maintenance on one of the bikes but I'll do that myself now that I have more time), and we wanted to find a way to ride more now that our kid is old enough.

As for my daughter?  She loves it. :)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 11:23:04 PM »

<.<  I know this is the MMM forum, but I suppose this is a relevant thread to admit that my wife & I bought another motorcycle so we can ride with our daughter long before she can fit on the back of a motorcycle safely or legally.

It has a sidecar.  :D  2005 Ural Gear Up.

I work from home, we don't drive that much, both my wife & I ride, I do basically all my work (I used to let a dealership do valve maintenance on one of the bikes but I'll do that myself now that I have more time), and we wanted to find a way to ride more now that our kid is old enough.

As for my daughter?  She loves it. :)

I think that this is the right forum for that. If motorcycling is a passion, there is little reason that having a child should curtail the enjoyment of such.  I hope my daughter will share her parents' love of motorcycling as well!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »
Eh, they seem to be a bad word around here. Almost as bad as "truck."

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 03:32:49 PM »
I had a roommate who rode a motorcycle for cheap transport while working as AmericaCorps volunteer.  Was Mustachian, lived just fine on minimum wage, cooked a lot of potatoes; splashed out by making peanut stew. 

After a year or two of working for a microloan agency, where he drew a higher wage and saved $, he joined a couple of friends in buying a beautiful plot of land overlooking the river at the edge of a wildlife preserve. Then they worked construction 4 days a week nearby, camping on the land and building a house on it by hand during the other three days.  Now they jointly own a beautiful vacation house free and clear.

That motorcycle got him off to a good start!

DocMcStuffins

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 10:54:17 PM »
Don't worry about the critics.  I am looking at a robotic lawn mover.  I love how people think there way this the only way.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 11:37:59 PM »
I have a roomba and it's wonderful. No judgment here.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »

Cerastez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 08:06:50 PM »
I have an irobot roomba.  I named him Caesar, and if he could cook I'd marry him.  ;)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »
... huh?

*checks the URL*

Massage chair?  Really?  I think my wife & I spend $10/yr on massage oils and the like.  I enjoy working on her back.  :)

Thermomix tm31?  That's... a $1000 kitchen gizmo?  Bit lost here, sorry - bread is from a bread machine, yoghurt is from a mixer, and I'm not entirely sure what the other things are.  It seems like some fancy mixer-thing?

Roomba?  M'kay.  They're neat, but... is it that hard to run a vacuum every few weeks?  Especially on concrete - a ShopVac for $70 does just fine on that kind of surface.

TM31 is the best thing ever since sliced bread... Sure its a gizmo... but its a gizmo that does everything in a kitchen... yes even cooking.  My aunt has had one since early 80s and its a damn good thing, especially for people that dont know how to cook or you want your cooking more automated.

Northern gal

• Bristles
  • Life at the beach shack
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 12:35:36 AM »
Oh thanks, yay, I'm not completely off the mark.

A year on, I do think all three examples count as investments, because they truly do yield a return.

Of course, with unlimited time the above may not be necessary but with a baby they really have paid off for us.