Author Topic: The opposite of saving  (Read 5945 times)

SugarStick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The opposite of saving
« on: February 13, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »
Many people seem to have a hard time saving money for whatever reason. My argument is that by not spending more money, you are actually being paid more.

Examples:
- Paying $500 instead of $800 a month for housing is the same as being paid $300 a month more.
- Not eating out one night is the same as being paid ~$25.
- Canceling cable is the same as making ~$600 a year more.

I see a lot of people try to justify these things, as they only cost a small portion of their income. But what if you were PAID to spend less? This is how I look at it, and it really helps me save money.

Right now I am spending more then I should for housing. If I could get paid more to live in a cheaper, would I? You bet! That is why I will be lowering my housing expenses soon.

Just another way of looking at things our way.

Bryallen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Graduate
Re: The opposite of saving
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »
I really like this idea! Might have to introduce it to my shoe-a-holic sister! I love finding new ways to cut spending (or in this case, up my earnings! :D)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »
A penny saved is a penny earned except the penny saved is better because it's post-tax.  As Benny Franklin would say.

gmaxwell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »
A penny saved is a penny earned except the penny saved is better because it's post-tax.
Savings also tends to be more sure than income: You might suddenly lose your job (with its income increase) tomorrow, but its far less likely that you'd suddenly lose your rent (with its savings decrease).

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »
I also like to think of things this way.  It helps me stay motivated to save.  It seems much bigger, if I keep a running tab of the money I didn't spend that I was tempted to, versus the percentage of my take-home pay.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 03:06:19 PM »
I sometimes like to think in terms of third world country citizens fed for a year.  Assuming a dollar a day, that wedding photographer is going to cost you a year's worth of food for 10 people.

darkelenchus

• Bristles
  • True wealth comes from good health and wise ways.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
I see a lot of people try to justify these things [that] only cost a small portion of their income. But what if you were PAID to spend less? This is how I look at it, and it really helps me save money.

The financial equivalent of a Gestalt switch!