Author Topic: The last time I filled up my car was . . .  (Read 4987 times)

Patrick A

• Stubble
The last time I filled up my car was . . .
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
Nov. 22!  I've got a bit over a quarter tank left, can probably last a couple more weeks depending on Christmas travels.

Note:  We have used the wife's car for a longer road trip in the last month -- so unfortunately I cannot claim this for both cars.  I guess I have something left to aspire to!

How about you?

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
Re: The last time I filled up my car was . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:34:27 AM »
I filled mine yesterday!

We own 2 cars and usualy fill both once a month. We drive a total of 15,000km/year. This include comuting, errands, vacation trips and our 2 sons play hockey. In RE, I plan to drive 5,000km/year with only 1 car.

I just cannot understand how much peoples arround us drive so much. With same comuting, same hobbies etc, most drive like 25-40,000km/year and fill the car AT LEAST once or TWICE a week. Even before turning Mustachians, we use to clowndrive like crazy and "just" did 20,000km/year on average!

Clever Name

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:24:23 AM »
December 9 for me. I currently have about 7/8 of a tank left, but holiday travels are about to ruin that.

codemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »
Last Saturday.  $2.02 per gallon was too good to pass up and I topped off the tank and put in 3 gallons.  I need to fill up about once a month these days.  I work from home once or twice a week now and bike in once or twice.  I used to fill up every 10-14 days, so I've doubled or tripled the time between trips to the gas pump this year.

TexasStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 10:13:52 AM »
Since we got a used Prius, my average number of fill ups per month has gone from 3 to 1, excluding the occasional trip out of town to visit my parents. But even that trip now takes 1 tank instead of 2. That and lower gas bills have made my auto budget very happy lately.

And since the Prius gas tank is only around 12 gallons, I'm never filling up more than 9-10.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »
Never.

But I got the car on Saturday.

(I generally filled up my previous car once a month though.)

kickel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »
I used to have a lifted Jeep so I was averaging in the 10mpg range, very face punch worthy.. However I recently turned that into a civic hybrid, and so far I've driven from Denver to breck and back, a little commuting around town, and still have over half a tank. I bet this tank will last another week and a half even with another trip to the mountains.

Patrick A

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 11:08:30 AM »
I used to have a lifted Jeep so I was averaging in the 10mpg range, very face punch worthy.. However I recently turned that into a civic hybrid, and so far I've driven from Denver to breck and back, a little commuting around town, and still have over half a tank. I bet this tank will last another week and a half even with another trip to the mountains.

Kickel -- I used to have a wrangler.  I'm 100% with you.  On the surface, the wrangler is the cool fun car (and it is) -- but it is even cooler and "funner" to be able to still go anywhere, drive in the snow, mud, etc. in the small car that isn't "supposed" to be able to do it, all while getting 30-40 MPG. 

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »
Nov. 22!  I've got a bit over a quarter tank left, can probably last a couple more weeks depending on Christmas travels.

Note:  We have used the wife's car for a longer road trip in the last month -- so unfortunately I cannot claim this for both cars.  I guess I have something left to aspire to!

How about you?

My main work transportation, just this morning, but before that it was right around thanksgiving time (I don't have the exact date written down, but I filled it up on my way to an out of town thanksgiving party!).  :-)  My other car, I have no idea.  It's down to 1/4 now, but I don't think I've filled it up since around Halloween?

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »

How about you?

My main work transportation, just this morning, but before that it was right around thanksgiving time (I don't have the exact date written down, but I filled it up on my way to an out of town thanksgiving party!).  :-)  My other car, I have no idea.  It's down to 1/4 now, but I don't think I've filled it up since around Halloween?

I use to put all that info on an Exel spread sheet like about any other things (investing, mortgage, electricity consumption, etc. even my chequing account is "forecasted" 18 month in the future!) I just tought it was normal to do so.

Is it ? :/
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:36:32 AM by Le Barbu »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »

I think it is.
I have 13 years of fill up history for my last car.
Date, location of station, cost of gas (oh man it used to be so low, under $1 at times), mileage on car, mileage since last fill up (to tenths), number of gallons, MPG, and cents per mile.  Cents per mile is generally as important as MPG for me.  It reminds me not to take silly little  trips when gas costs a lot.  I can also see where the ethanol started getting added to fuel, as my MPGs dropped drastically.

What I wasn't as good about doing was recording when the oil was changed...

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 12:14:29 PM »

I think it is.
I have 13 years of fill up history for my last car.
Date, location of station, cost of gas (oh man it used to be so low, under $1 at times), mileage on car, mileage since last fill up (to tenths), number of gallons, MPG, and cents per mile.  Cents per mile is generally as important as MPG for me.  It reminds me not to take silly little  trips when gas costs a lot.  I can also see where the ethanol started getting added to fuel, as my MPGs dropped drastically.

What I wasn't as good about doing was recording when the oil was changed...

just add another "sheet" for the maintenance and repairs. some of those (like oil changes) are cheap and regular but for other items like brake jobs, new tires it's different. I find its useful to have a schedual for fluids and filters changes. My Civic cost 3.5cents/km to maintain and Forester about 8 cents/km. Huge difference!

kickel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 01:12:14 PM »

Kickel -- I used to have a wrangler.  I'm 100% with you.  On the surface, the wrangler is the cool fun car (and it is) -- but it is even cooler and "funner" to be able to still go anywhere, drive in the snow, mud, etc. in the small car that isn't "supposed" to be able to do it, all while getting 30-40 MPG.

Yep, plus actually taking the thing off road always led to a few days doing repairs in the garage, and an expensive bill. Like you said though the ability to travel further on less is great, already planning a road trip for early next year and fuel cost won't be the big concern. I will be honest though coming from 260hp to 110hp has taken some getting used too..

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »
Never.

But I got the car on Saturday.

(I generally filled up my previous car once a month though.)

I see what you did there...

Zarya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 02:08:20 AM »
Last fill-up was Nov. 2 during a family trip. Still have a quarter of a tank and don't expect to use it up until sometime in January, although I may fill it up sooner because our fuel prices have just dropped significantly. On the other hand, Russia doesn't look likely to pull out of its tailspin in the next few weeks, so I may just wait until we actually need the fuel. We drive a 2009 deisel Toyota Verso (a roomy hatchback sold in Europe) but most of our travel takes place on our fleet of bicycles.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
I haven't bought gas for a car I owned since September, and won't be buying again for the foreseeable future.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/nissan-leaf-almost-paying-me-to-drive-it/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!