Author Topic: Going to get rid of the Jeep  (Read 3563 times)

Zarakava

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Going to get rid of the Jeep
« on: April 11, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
It's been a crazy month long fight with myself, but I'm looking into selling the Jeep Wrangler and getting a Honda Civic. While the Jeep gave me a lot of happiness, and it's always been the dream car, learning more about finances has made me realize that ultimately being fully out of debt is worth more to me than the image of the Jeep.

Wish me luck guys - I have an appraisal this afternoon to see what my Jeep is worth on trade-in.

Also, a question - I have some damage (~$700) on the Jeep's back bumper. Is it better for me to fix it before trade-in, or just have it dealt with in the trade-in value.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
Re: Going to get rid of the Jeep
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 02:39:57 PM »
It's better for you to sell that jeep in a private sale, and then buy a used Honda. Why trade it in for less money, and then pay too much for the civic?

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 03:25:48 PM »
Sell it privately.  I sold mine two months ago.  Dealer offered $13k.  It took me about a month and a half but I sold it for $17k on my own.  I had a 10 yr old Rubicon with 50k miles.

ikonomore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 04:06:50 PM »
Buy a used bumper on Craig's list for $50 before selling/trading in.

You should really try to sell it yourself.  I have a wrangler also and I could sell it in a minute for about $3k under what i paid for it, 6 years ago.

I wouldn't sell it, myself.

Zarakava

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 06:07:07 PM »
I did actually trade/sell at the dealer - I got what I wanted out of it though, and am going to have no car payment in a little over a month (had to take a very tiny loan, but no getting out of that)

It just feels good that I'm going to have no debts by August (student loans too)

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 09:12:07 PM »
Great work!  Glad you got what you wanted.  Onward & upward!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 08:27:39 AM »
Tell us more about the Jeep.  Year?  2/4 door?  Wrangler?  (I have a Wrangler myself.  It's pretty hard to plow snow with a Civic).  :D

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »
Tell us more about the Jeep.  Year?  2/4 door?  Wrangler?  (I have a Wrangler myself.  It's pretty hard to plow snow with a Civic).  :D

He already traded it in.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »

He already traded it in.

Yup, I know.  Still wondering what it was.  An old TJ with 100k miles or a 3 year old JK with 30k miles.  A new Civic would be a huge upgrade to the TJ but could be considered a downgrade from the JK.

Zarakava

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 10:46:43 AM »
2 Door 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 21k miles, $15k left. Trade-in paid it off and got me to a $5k loan on the Civic, which I play to have paid off by June.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »
2 Door 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 21k miles, $15k left. Trade-in paid it off and got me to a $5k loan on the Civic, which I play to have paid off by June.

Thanks for the info....  I've got a 16 year old who will be getting a permit....probably over the summer.  Need a manual car to teach him on and keep going back and fourth between a new Impreza and stripper JK.  I know the Impreza would be more economical, but I also know from ordering my 4 door JK that I could sell it 3 years old and lose about $8 from new.  Probably going with the Impreza.  Oh....since you'll probably miss these.....Jeep Wave to you.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 12:25:13 PM »

Thanks for the info....  I've got a 16 year old who will be getting a permit....probably over the summer.  Need a manual car to teach him on and keep going back and fourth between a new Impreza and stripper JK.  I know the Impreza would be more economical, but I also know from ordering my 4 door JK that I could sell it 3 years old and lose about $8 from new.  Probably going with the Impreza.  Oh....since you'll probably miss these.....Jeep Wave to you.

You're buying your 16 year old a NEW car?!

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »

I've got a 15 year old daughter who will be getting her permit on a few months and I have been teaching her manual on my 1999 Cherokee XJ. Once she has her permit, I'm thinking of gifting her the XJ and picking myself up a used Honda. XJ has 209000 miles on it.