Author Topic: The 2 Comma Club  (Read 6485 times)

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
The 2 Comma Club
« on: October 19, 2019, 11:30:51 PM »
I made it.  A school teacher raised by a farmer/carpenter and a gas station clerk/school lunch lady (supporting a family of 10) is a millionaire.  I've told one sibling and two friends.  This isn't something you can really discuss with most people.  I'm going to keep teaching for a few more years.  I love it and don't feel like I'm done. But when I'm done I can be done.  I won't be one of those people that has quit but still shows up for work everyday.  Stay the course people.  Live below your means, find things that bring you true joy and happiness and do good in the world.  Life is wonderful.

charis

• Magnum Stache
Re: The 2 Comma Club
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 11:44:35 PM »
Love it. Congrats.

snorr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 01:25:25 AM »
Congratulations! That is a really impressive number and doing it in a job you love too. And 10 kids.

Pardon the noseyness, but how on earth did you do it?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
Giddy up! Congrats NVT

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 06:43:52 PM »

First, I'm old.  This is my 31st year teaching so I've been at this a long time.  Second, I learned to live within my means from my parents.

I doubt my parents ever made more than $30,000 a year.  They had to be money smart and figure out how to provide for our needs and a few of our wants without going into debt.  It was a good thing too because my dad died in the 1980's so it was just my mom left to finish raising the kids and keep it all together.  She told me that after she paid for my dad's funeral she had less than a few thousand dollars in the bank.  She had the two jobs and picked up a third doing the books for a small water company.  She worked school lunch until she was 72 and did the water books until she was 84.  That tells you what kind of example I had growing up.

I've never had extravagant tastes, that helps a lot.  I bought homes that did not stretch my budget to the edge.  I saved up for the renovations I wanted to do and paid cash for them.  I enjoy sewing so I make probably half of my clothes and most of the things I give to family and friends.  I shop the weekly sale ads and eat what's on sale.  I stock up when I find a killer deal on things that I use.  When I went back to school for a masters I paid off the student loan in just a few years and invested the raise I got rather than inflating my lifestyle.  I keep the AC around 82 in the summer with a fan and the heat around 62 in the winter with a sweater.  I do all my errands one day a week to avoid unintended spending.  Most of my furnishings and home decor are from the scratch and dent store, yard sales, and thrift stores.  I do my own yard work and house cleaning. When something breaks I'm pretty handy at figuring out how to repair it rather than buying new. I don't have cable TV or fancy speed internet.  I buy decent used cars and drive them until it doesn't make sense to fix them anymore.  I set financial goals every year and track my spending so I know where my money is going.  Weekend entertainment is a drive in the mountains with the window down, good music, and a lunch to eat when I find a quiet spot with a gorgeous view.  I get a new phone when the old one stops working and since I don't use it much I'm on one of those less than $20 a month plans.  Being able to delay gratification helps tremendously.  I wait before I buy things.  Many times the desire to acquire will go away if I sit on it for a few days.  All these things work for me and over time have added up.  Like everyone I have my indulgences.  I definitely have too much fabric.  I spend too much on things for my students and classroom.  I like to be generous when I see a critical need that I can help with.  I like good ice cream and buy it a couple of times a month.  Everyone has something right?

Some people at work give me a hard time and tell me that I'm too tight.  They go on cruises a couple times a year, buy season passes for everyone in the family to Disneyland, and take month long international vacations over the summer.  They spend their money how they want and I do the same.  Yet I've lost count of the number of times I've listened to them complain about their debt and that they can't seem to get on top of their finances.   I used to offer suggestions or share MMM with them, but I've learned that most of them really aren't interested.  I imagine myself now just listening quietly with a slight smile on my face with the knowledge that I'm a member of the two comma club.  Life is good.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:22:46 AM by NV Teacher »

snorr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 03:58:36 AM »
... with a slight smile on my face with the knowledge that I'm a member of the two comma club.  Life is good.

Thank you for sharing. Although I don't begrudge all the IT wizards and lawyer gurus anything, it is inspiring to read about a more average income situation with a lot of grit behind it.

Enjoy your teaching & retirement afterwards! :)

newloginuser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
Congratulations. From the sounds of your background and your career this is prime example of playing the long game and being very intentional with your money. You should feel proud.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 07:49:35 AM »
First, I'm old.  This is my 31st year teaching so I've been at this a long time.  Second, I learned to live within my means from my parents.

That makes me feel old.  I hit my 31st year working a full decade ago.....

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 12:25:05 PM »
Awesome job!  Inspiring!

lcmac32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 08:05:16 AM »
This is a great story to share, and exemplifies how different people in the same profession allocated their resources.  I love that the OP got to the two comma club b/c 1. She was a teacher and not in a high paying profession, and 2. she used her income/resources deliberately differently than others.  I think it is important to point out that each group got what they wanted.  The one a secure retirement (very secured) and the others yolo'd it with vacations.  The only real distinguishing factor is that the yolo group is now complaining about debt.  Well, too bad because you got what you wanted, and now have to pay the price for it.  That is the part I respect even more about the FIRE movement.  No complaints; just movement toward the goal whatever that goal may be.   It may be summed up better as no matter what your goal is, get your $h!t together and do it.  The OP did exactly that.  She went and did what she thought was best, and I applaud her for it.  Well Done!!!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:06:01 AM by lcmac32 »

xo 1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 05:55:03 AM »
So cool.  Very well done - Congratulations!   

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 09:45:33 PM »
Impressive!

jaysee

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 03:02:24 AM »
Yes! You made it! Congratulations.

I love everything about this story. You worked hard and stayed disciplined and focussed on the goal, but you also got enjoyment from the journey.

Inspirational.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 07:29:58 PM »
Wow.  Huge congrats.  Best story I've read in a while.  Habits are the architecture of life, and it sounds like you've built a strong house with them.

You've told one sibling; guessing that the others aren't of like minds, or means.  It is difficult to share this kind of info.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 09:44:14 PM »

You've told one sibling; guessing that the others aren't of like minds, or means.  It is difficult to share this kind of info.
Actually two of my siblings have been in the club for several years.  It just took me longer to get there because of my career choice.  The others are getting close too.  It still seems strange, a millionaire.  I saw a cute little fancy sports car the other day and thought boy that must be expensive the owner must be rich.  Then I remembered that I’m rich too.  So strange.

AnxietyFly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2019, 10:03:31 PM »
What an inspiring story! Thank you for sharing. I'm a little jealous of you.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 05:56:12 PM »
That is the part I respect even more about the FIRE movement.  No complaints; just movement toward the goal whatever that goal may be.   It may be summed up better as no matter what your goal is, get your $h!t together and do it.  The OP did exactly that.  She went and did what she thought was best, and I applaud her for it.  Well Done!!!!

Word!!

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 10:09:11 PM »

I doubt my parents ever made more than $30,000 a year.  They had to be money smart and figure out how to provide for our needs and a few of our wants without going into debt.  It was a good thing too because my dad died in the 1980's so it was just my mom left to finish raising the kids and keep it all together.  She told me that after she paid for my dad's funeral she had less than a few thousand dollars in the bank.  She had the two jobs and picked up a third doing the books for a small water company.  She worked school lunch until she was 72 and did the water books until she was 84.  That tells you what kind of example I had growing up.

I've never had extravagant tastes, that helps a lot.  I bought homes that did not stretch my budget to the edge.  I saved up for the renovations I wanted to do and paid cash for them.  I enjoy sewing so I make probably half of my clothes and most of the things I give to family and friends.  I shop the weekly sale ads and eat what's on sale.  I stock up when I find a killer deal on things that I use.  When I went back to school for a masters I paid off the student loan in just a few years and invested the raise I got rather than inflating my lifestyle.  I keep the AC around 82 in the summer with a fan and the heat around 62 in the winter with a sweater.  I do all my errands one day a week to avoid unintended spending.  Most of my furnishings and home decor are from the scratch and dent store, yard sales, and thrift stores.  I do my own yard work and house cleaning. When something breaks I'm pretty handy at figuring out how to repair it rather than buying new. I don't have cable TV or fancy speed internet.  I buy decent used cars and drive them until it doesn't make sense to fix them anymore.  I set financial goals every year and track my spending so I know where my money is going.  Weekend entertainment is a drive in the mountains with the window down, good music, and a lunch to eat when I find a quiet spot with a gorgeous view.  I get a new phone when the old one stops working and since I don't use it much I'm on one of those less than $20 a month plans.  Being able to delay gratification helps tremendously.  I wait before I buy things.  Many times the desire to acquire will go away if I sit on it for a few days.  All these things work for me and over time have added up.  Like everyone I have my indulgences.  I definitely have too much fabric.  I spend too much on things for my students and classroom.  I like to be generous when I see a critical need that I can help with.  I like good ice cream and buy it a couple of times a month.  Everyone has something right?

Some people at work give me a hard time and tell me that I'm too tight.  They go on cruises a couple times a year, buy season passes for everyone in the family to Disneyland, and take month long international vacations over the summer.  They spend their money how they want and I do the same.  Yet I've lost count of the number of times I've listened to them complain about their debt and that they can't seem to get on top of their finances.   I used to offer suggestions or share MMM with them, but I've learned that most of them really aren't interested.  I imagine myself now just listening quietly with a slight smile on my face with the knowledge that I'm a member of the two comma club.  Life is good.

Congratulations.
This was a lot like me when I was out alone in the world with a mortgage after my sister moved out.
I pinched pennies for a while and my friends called me tight.
Then I met a wonderful girl and got married.
Those days are long gone but we are about to reach the 2 comma club soon too.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 02:06:31 AM »
Congratulations!  Not only did you reach a significant milestone, you seem really happy with you choices ("Life is wonderful.").  Wealth doesn't buy you happiness, but not having to worry about money reinforces the other things that make you happy.

Since your colleagues don't seem to wish to listen, do you share any financial education with your students?

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 03:12:32 AM »
Well done! Onward and upward to three commas!

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 07:31:57 AM »
Since your colleagues don't seem to wish to listen, do you share any financial education with your students?

Not so much, they’re 5 years old.  It’s more about keeping their fingers out of their noses and their hands out of their pants.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 05:34:22 PM »
Well, people like you are the heart and soul of the USA!