Author Topic: Thank you MMM!  (Read 3886 times)

GoldenNeko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thank you MMM!
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:58:39 PM »
Dear MMM, and dear forumers,

Today, I have signed a mortgage for a real estate investment (that will also have the bonus of causing a massive tax reduction).
Friday, I applied to a job twice my current salary (how did I dare?) ;)
Next month, I'll quit my small one room rent to live with my SO in a reasonable price (for Paris) 3 room cheap rent little apartment (and I'll be able to walk to work).
And in December, the last of my payments for student debts will be gone.

Here is the thing: I come from a family with no money. I made all my studies being always broke. I could only afford paying for my driver's licence when I was 27. And to top that all, and be completely honest, a difficult childhood made me always feel like I didn't deserve any good in life, or a good job with a reasonable pay.

Yet, here I am. I'm positive, I'm happy, and thanks to all the positive attitude and good advice around here, I'm taking a stand for myself. Financially, and more importantly, in all areas of my life.

Thank you MMM and forumers. Your badassity is infectious.

Countdown to FIRE starts in January! 15 years maximum to go!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:06:10 PM by GoldenNeko »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Thank you MMM!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 01:42:16 PM »
Congrats!  Way to take charge!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GoldenNeko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »
Thanks Arebelspy. Your own journey to fire is an inspiration.

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »
Congratulations!  You have acquired life long tools that have changed your life for the better!  Being frugal is a gift to yourself of never having to live paycheck to paycheck with all of the stress that goes along with it.

Enjoy the journey!                                          Miss Prim

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 02:11:19 PM »
What an inspiring post, GoldenNeko! Congratulations, and I'm sending all good wishes for continuing Badassity!

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »
Congrats! Keep up the good work!

I could only afford paying for my driver's licence when I was 27.

Out of curiosity, is it a lot more money to get a license in France? Or did you just have that little money growing up? I think it is like $15-20 here.

Lordy

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »
At least in Germany a license can easily set you back $500 to $1000. You need to take a certain number of classes (usually taught at the driving school) and have a minimum number of hours driving with an instructor (daytime, nighttime, highway). Then there is testing fees, a failed attempt is probably $200-$300.

I know a few people that don't have a drivers license because it's too expensive and they get around fine using public transport.

GoldenNeko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 03:07:50 PM »
Congratulations!  You have acquired life long tools that have changed your life for the better!  Being frugal is a gift to yourself of never having to live paycheck to paycheck with all of the stress that goes along with it.

Enjoy the journey!                                          Miss Prim

Indeed! As soon as I've finished paying the student debt & moving house costs (should be good in January), I'm going to give full force to the emergency/FUMoney fund, then invest in Vanguard.

What an inspiring post, GoldenNeko! Congratulations, and I'm sending all good wishes for continuing Badassity!
Thank you! Sometimes I feel like my stash isn't growing fast enough, or that I'm not doing enough. But then, I remember where I come from, and all the small steps that finally paid. I had to learn how to walk before running...

Congrats! Keep up the good work!

I could only afford paying for my driver's licence when I was 27.

Out of curiosity, is it a lot more money to get a license in France? Or did you just have that little money growing up? I think it is like $15-20 here.

In France, you have to pay for 2 exams at minimum: theoritical, and then practical.
To be able to present yourself at the theoretical one, you have to pay around 80/100€. And same price for the other. BUT: the law says you can't try the practical exam without a least 20 hours of practice before. So people pay for driving school lessons (In Paris, it was 55€ per hour of practical lesson) + without these schools, it's really hard, as a non affiliated candidate, to be put on the exam lists to get a day to try to pass the exam.. 
And the 20hour thing is a minimum. And when you fail passing the exam (40% failure rate at first try on national average), you have to wait around 3-6months for trying again (and, pay again lessons or you're losing your driving habits). My own driver license cost me around 3000€, cause I failed the practical exam once.
Minimum cost should be around 1000€/1200€. National average cost is around 1600€ according to some associations.
Yes, it's quite expensive. For reference, the median salary in France is 1730 € (50% of population above, 50% of population over it). As a student, I earned around 300/500€ per months. So it was not affordable. And my first years of work, I was at minimum salary and had some unemployment. So still not affordable until quite late.
At least, I always lived in areas with good public transportation.

At least in Germany a license can easily set you back $500 to $1000. You need to take a certain number of classes (usually taught at the driving school) and have a minimum number of hours driving with an instructor (daytime, nighttime, highway). Then there is testing fees, a failed attempt is probably $200-$300.

I know a few people that don't have a drivers license because it's too expensive and they get around fine using public transport.
Viva public transport!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!