Author Topic: Thank you!!!!  (Read 3229 times)

6leakertweeker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thank you!!!!
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:02:24 PM »
Good afternoon,

Awhile back I started reading this forum and it has changed my mindset quite a bit.  Since then I've made considerable choices to my lifestyle that are reaping some nice benefits.  Once I realized where I wanted to go I started tracking my finances and situations which showed me where I stood.  I've changed jobs, left my wife, totally revamped all of my habits and hobbies all in effort to make myself a happier person and to be happy with the one and only time I get to spend on this Earth.

Good and bad all this started here. 

Last month marked a year at my new job, in a new industry, with zero experience.  Last week I was given my performance review.  I killed that and walked away with a raise.  I took all of that raise and converted it into my 401k.  This week I was called over to corporate to be offered a job as the asset manager of our company being responsible for over 150 million dollars of assets!  I'll be moving from one of the lowest scale employees in our company to working directly with our CEO, COO, CFO and many others of the executive management team.  I cant explain how awesome that is!   

I started out using Google sheets to analyze my personal finances and then switched over to Excel.  Once in this job I used that knowledge to analyze many facets of our operations and it apparently got noticed. 

I just want to thank MMM for getting this FIRE started and for showing me where the matches were to start a real F.I.R.E. one of these days.  I couldn't have gotten to where I am without this website.

THANK YOU GUYS AND GALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Thank you!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 03:18:40 PM »
Congratulations!!!

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »
Left your wife being a part of your accomplishments?  Ouch.  I understand toxic relationships, but don't underestimate the detrimental power over considering a relationship via a balance sheet.  Companionship isn't a numbers game.

Congrats on making yourself happy, and on your future.  All I can say, with basically no information on your relationship, is be careful.  Flippantly disregarding the importance of relationships with other people can ruin any gains made via money or power.  I'm not trying to call you out... I'm sure your intentions were prudent.  I'm just advising caution based on how your phrased your words.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 02:24:20 AM »
Good work. I hope things only continue to improve for you!

6leakertweeker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 06:38:54 PM »
Left your wife being a part of your accomplishments?  Ouch.  I understand toxic relationships, but don't underestimate the detrimental power over considering a relationship via a balance sheet.  Companionship isn't a numbers game.

Congrats on making yourself happy, and on your future.  All I can say, with basically no information on your relationship, is be careful.  Flippantly disregarding the importance of relationships with other people can ruin any gains made via money or power.  I'm not trying to call you out... I'm sure your intentions were prudent.  I'm just advising caution based on how your phrased your words.

WildJager,

I apologize for the way that came off.  I carry a ton of respect for my wife to this day and would never intentionally cut her down like that.  I by no means meant that I would take money over a delicate thing such as that.  Leaving her was not an easy task but I was failing her as a husband and as a best friend.  I was unhappy with my life which was causing us both to be unhappy. I didn't mean for it to look like an accomplishment but rather a toxic situation that was compounding the other issues all the while giving way for her to find someone better for her than I was.  Being able to let go of all the stress that was associated with that relationship let me focus my energy on getting myself set up for my future.  At the time I didn't feel like I was in a position to be able to fully support her should the need arise and don't feel like I deserve such a companion until I am able to provide not only a social and emotional structure but a sound financial structure as well.  My mistakes and wrong doings were pulling her down and that wasn't fair for her.  I hope that explains it and I apologize if that was way too deep.  You were able to put that into a perspective that I didn't see when I wrote that so I thank you.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 02:05:10 PM »

WildJager,

I apologize for the way that came off.  I carry a ton of respect for my wife to this day and would never intentionally cut her down like that.  I by no means meant that I would take money over a delicate thing such as that.  Leaving her was not an easy task but I was failing her as a husband and as a best friend.  I was unhappy with my life which was causing us both to be unhappy. I didn't mean for it to look like an accomplishment but rather a toxic situation that was compounding the other issues all the while giving way for her to find someone better for her than I was.  Being able to let go of all the stress that was associated with that relationship let me focus my energy on getting myself set up for my future.  At the time I didn't feel like I was in a position to be able to fully support her should the need arise and don't feel like I deserve such a companion until I am able to provide not only a social and emotional structure but a sound financial structure as well.  My mistakes and wrong doings were pulling her down and that wasn't fair for her.  I hope that explains it and I apologize if that was way too deep.  You were able to put that into a perspective that I didn't see when I wrote that so I thank you.

Thank you for the response.  That was more thought out than I probably deserved.

PM sent.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
Good for you!  Some people change their trajectory in small increments,  some people do a complete 180.
Best of luck with the new position.

missksaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Saving for FU $, then FIRE
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 11:33:55 PM »
Congratulations! Can tell you put a lot of work to get where you are now!

I hope to get there too someday. =)

6leakertweeker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 08:46:46 AM »
Good for you!  Some people change their trajectory in small increments,  some people do a complete 180.
Best of luck with the new position.

Thank you so much.  I agree.

6leakertweeker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Congratulations! Can tell you put a lot of work to get where you are now!

I hope to get there too someday. =)

You can do it!  I sure have thank you!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 03:02:16 PM »
Congratulations! stay the course.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 01:42:17 AM »
Wow, those are some kickass changes!   Way to go!  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.