Author Topic: Kitchen conquests  (Read 2031 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
Kitchen conquests
« on: December 02, 2015, 01:47:12 PM »
I rather enjoy "puttering" around the house, particularly when it's of the cooking, preserving, gardening variety.   This is a bit of a brag but also a question to others about why cooking and baking can be so enjoyable and relaxing at times??

For me it depends on the project, but cooking -- particularly in batches and when I use up stuff I have on hand -- is enjoyable to me.  On my most recent day off I made a huge pot of stew (for the freezer), threw together a make-shift casserole with leftover ingredients from our Thanksgiving, and found useful roles for the odd bits hanging around my fridge.  A small head of cabbage and a watermelon radish were mixed with carrots, onions, and sweet peppers to make sweet and sour coleslaw. 

I do take a great deal of satisfaction that our food waste is a fraction of what it used to be.  I use our freezer a lot.  I also take a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that I can invite others over for dinner or drinks and know I could put a yummy (not fancy), wholesome meal on the table quickly without stressing about it.  This is particularly nice during the holidays.  There are lots of people I want to treat (we don't give many gifts) and it's nice having meal options ready to go.

I finally cracked open my "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" book and whipped up my first batch of dough -- easy peasy.

And I'm beginning to look at uses for elevating the humble ingredients I've bought (ten pounds of carrots at Costco) into yummy nourishing stuff.  Next on the list -- roasting marinated carrots.

alleykat

• Bristles
Re: Kitchen conquests
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:09:32 AM »
That is just great.  My number one kitchen goal in 2016 is to reduce the waste.  I waste a lot and I know it and it is just a crime.  I haven't been able to gain control of that just yet because when I am at the store everything seems like such a great idea and I have great intentions.  So, reduce waste and look for recipes that will incorporate ingredients I have, which will be a challenge for me.

My number two goal is to learn and start using the small appliances I have. I have a ton of them and none of them get used.  So, I will make it a point to learn what my gadgets can do and start using them and/or start getting rid of them.

I have others as well but think I will just start with the waste.  That is my main goal.

Good luck with the conquests.