Author Topic: Taught my daughter about school lunch  (Read 7084 times)

Shropskr

• Stubble
Taught my daughter about school lunch
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:33:42 PM »
My daughter is 8 and wanted school lunch so she could have corn dogs.
Well I got mad filling out the forms for a lunch account when I learned it costs $2.25 in ores to put money into the account.

First lesson showed her how every time you put money into the account it costs the equivalent of an extra lunch.    She said "that's stupid, it should cost less". Online is the only way to put money into the account

Second lesson.  I was at Walmart and saw they had corn dogs.  I bought a box.  And asked her "how many corn dogs do you get with a school lunch?"   Answer one.  Well so if a school lunch is $2.50 and a box of corn dogs is $5.00 How many school lunches is the cost of the corn dogs.   Two.  Then I showed her how many corn dogs in a box.  16. You could literally see the incredulity in her eyes.  " but mom that's like 14 corn dogs for free".

I think she gets it now.  And was very happy with her corn dog dinner.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
Re: Taught my daughter about school lunch
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »
Awesome. Now your next challenge is to explain to her how the "free lunch" that some of the other kids get, actually works....

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 11:37:41 PM »
Your kid is going to be watching every single purchase of yours from now on and judging whether you have optimised enough.

A good can of worms has been opened :)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 12:13:57 AM »
That's a wonderful lesson for your daughter. Good job!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 03:31:52 AM »
Love it, well done!

Practical, real world examples are the best.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

aFrugalFather

• Stubble
    • Life/Finance Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 03:34:13 AM »
Well done :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 07:04:21 AM »
Awesome. Now your next challenge is to explain to her how the "free lunch" that some of the other kids get, actually works....

I found that to be pretty easy when my nephew was asking about it.  He seemed to think sharing with kids made sense, because kids can't control what their parents do and they can't go get their own job. He didn't want to see his classmates starve because their parents made poor decisions. He said if the government didn't give them lunch, he would share his.  This is the same kid who won't share with his brothers because "they wasted their money on candy instead of saving it for a big toy"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 07:28:00 AM »

I found that to be pretty easy when my nephew was asking about it.  He seemed to think sharing with kids made sense, because kids can't control what their parents do and they can't go get their own job. He didn't want to see his classmates starve because their parents made poor decisions. He said if the government didn't give them lunch, he would share his.  This is the same kid who won't share with his brothers because "they wasted their money on candy instead of saving it for a big toy"

That's a pretty level headed kid.

Also have to make sure to teach them it's not nice to talk about it, because some people find it embarrassing.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 07:38:50 AM »
Oh- and kudos to the OP! I'm glad your daughter saw the value in eating the same thing at home for a small fraction of the price!

NonprofitER

• Stubble
  • Reaching FIRE w/ High Purpose (Low Pay) Nonprofit
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 07:41:20 AM »
This issue came up for us last year when our daughter was in Kindergarten.  She attends a school with a fancy (albeit, super healthy) lunch program with all local/organic ingredients.  They serve lunch in her classroom "family style" and she DESPERATELY wanted to be one of the 'school lunch kids' so she could have the grown up responsibility of serving herself and passing plates, etc. She even wrote id down as a "NY Resolution" last year. So cute.

Well... one look at the cost of $6.25 PER LUNCH, with a minimum commitment of one full month at 5 days/week and we said, "Sorry sweetie, that's just WAY too much for lunch. We make healthy food too, but for a lot less".  She persisted in her interest and we finally agreed that if she wanted to save up her own money  ($25), we would pitch in the rest ($100) for her to have school lunch on the last month of school (last May).  She scrimped and saved and offered to do chores for the neighbors and got her $25 together by April. I cannot tell you how proud she was to walk into the school office and hand them her envelope to pay for school lunch. 

Long story short, she enjoyed the experience of lunches all through May (and also learned that roasted vegetable quinoa salad is no more appetizing to her served family style at school than it is when we make those types of things at home...).  But after the month was over, she was content to go back to packed lunches.  We used the experience as an opportunity to talk about whether or not she felt the value was worth the cost, etc. It led to a lot of interesting discussions about the cost of healthy foods, etc.  While I appreciate healthy food and we have no MMM-worthy grocery bill, its still hard for me to fathom people who spend that much on school lunches.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 07:55:14 AM »
I love that story NPER.

Hopefully her takeaway as an adult won't be that expensive healthy food isn't worth it; it's good you had that extra discussion. :)

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »
I've got one from when my daughter was 4.  She had seen a commercial for No More Tangles on TV, and then saw the beautiful bottle on the shelf at Kroger.  All pink with princesses, it was on eye level with any kid going by in a shopping cart.  She reminded me we needed more, and so I said, "Let's look at something first."  I took the plain white Kroger bottle sitting next to the princess bottle.  I explained how I suspected the ingredients were exactly the same, and when we checked, they were indeed.  Then we compared prices - $1.59 vs. $3.99 - and she saw how we were just paying for fancy packaging.  Then I said we could buy the plain white bottle and we'd have money left over for something else, but I wanted it to be her decision.

Her answer, "How about we buy the plain white bottle and you can give the other money to me?"

I was so delighted with her answer I gave her the money.

Now she's staying at the top of her class because she's bound and determined not to go into debt for college.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:45:14 AM by esq »

rementis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 01:47:07 PM »
This is a great story.  Smart kid.  :)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 03:33:46 PM »
WE always taught our kids the value of $. When my oldest was in HS and old enough to shop for his school clothes alone he really wanted a pair of french jeans that cost $75 and it was 1989 so they were expensive. I told him that he was expected to come home with a certain # of pants, shirts, etc and I didn't care how he did it. Well he came home with the right amount of everything including the expensive jeans by buying other things on sale.  As an adult he does not have expensive tastes.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 07:08:36 PM »
I love these kids!

JTD1968

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 07:19:43 PM »
Great to see young ones being taught the basic principles of economics. Little kids often show a lot of common sense when they start to understand how things actually work. Instilling good habits and clear thinking at a young age will reap rewards for a lifetime.

PsychoCid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 08:59:32 PM »
Ahhhh, good parenting!  I love it!

*faith in humanity restored*

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 07:43:02 PM »
Esq - My mom would have bought the cheaper version and the POURED it into the old Princess bottle. 

Oh, and when we were kids my mom would buy the cheaper bagged cereal and mix it with the brand named stuff.

She also kept powdered milk on hand and when we started to get low she would add it to the gallon of milk in the refrigerator. 

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
Esq - My mom would have bought the cheaper version and the POURED it into the old Princess bottle. 

We never had it to begin with - my kids are so deprived!  LOL

I'm hoping all these kids on this thread also knew better than to ask for gum/candy at the checkout.  That's a tough one.

roadtrippers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 12:53:23 PM »

Oh, and when we were kids my mom would buy the cheaper bagged cereal and mix it with the brand named stuff.

She also kept powdered milk on hand and when we started to get low she would add it to the gallon of milk in the refrigerator.

No name brand cereal to mix it with, and no fancy schmancy detangler here!
Caught my Mom doing the milk jug thing once. Busted.

Still don't know where I went wrong with DD21. She's never met a cute package she doesn't like (or buy). Sigh.

TrMama

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 01:15:46 PM »
Great minds think alike. I had an almost identical conversation with my 7yo last night.  She asked if we could go out to the local sushi place for dinner, since she's recently discovered they serve chicken wings and tempura yams.

I pointed out that a dinner from that restaurant costs us $40 and that's a bit much for us to do all the time. Then she asked how much dinner at home costs. "Well, tonight's meal about $5." It was fun see her eyes bug out of her head while she did the math on that one.

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 01:29:30 PM »
Yay! That's awesome you're teaching her so young.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »
I know my story is from a much older child, but it's still a pretty good lesson.

My then 18 year old daughter worked for about 4 weeks at her minimum wage paying job and got her first check.  She went to the mall and bought ONE pair of fancy, high-end jeans.  Fast forward a year later.  She took those fancy jeans to a second hand store after receiving a flyer at college.  The store offered her $3 for the jeans.  Yep, not even what she paid in tax when she bought them new.

She came home with a bag of fancy jeans from the second hand store and told me she was on the wrong end of the sale when she took her jeans in.  She'd rather someone else pay the new price and get the lousy 3 bucks and she'll pay the second hand price.  8 pairs of jeans for what she paid for one pair new. 

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 01:58:17 PM »
CheapskateKid has learned from me in the grocery store that if it has a character on the packaging, its garbage.  Hilarious to hear him parrot this back to us in the checkout line of the grocery store where all the impulse items are at his eye level.  Fruit snacks...garbage.  That expensive cereal....garbage.  He's figured out that the characters are a way to get you to want to buy something that just isn't good enough to stand on its own.

I'm newly inspired by all these tales of success!  Keep them coming!

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 06:28:16 PM »
I taught my daughter to read what the ingredient label of corn dogs said, and to never eat them. Life is too short to eat processed wal-mart food. Have something healthy instead.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!