Author Topic: Switched to Sprint - Unlimited Cell Service for $4/month!  (Read 2170 times)

Chris @ Saturday Financial

• Stubble
Switched to Sprint - Unlimited Cell Service for $4/month!
« on: September 30, 2017, 11:10:12 AM »
I just switched to a Sprint Unlimited plan that they are marketing as "free" for 1 year.  There was a one-time cost of $14 to order the SIM card, and I will have to pay taxes and fees every month. Those fees will probably be about $3 in my state. Including the $14 upfront cost, I estimate the service will cost about $4/month for the next year.

It's a no-contract plan, and I will likely switch to an MVNO provider when the 12-month promotion runs out.  I'm pretty happy with the rate I locked in for the next year though:)

If you're interested, you can read up on the specifics on their website: www.sprint.com/1yearfree (I don't know if the offer will still be available in October, but hopefully so.)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:18:26 AM by SlowAndSteady »

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Switched to Sprint - Unlimited Cell Service for $4/month!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 07:04:46 AM »
I had sprint for almost 10 years...never an issue.  When I did have an issue it was a disaster.  I actually switched carriers...they just couldnt fix the problem.

They could pay me to use their service and I would still refuse.  Service is fine...customer service is dog shit.

Chris @ Saturday Financial

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
Yikes - thanks for the heads up!  Just curious, what was the issue you had?

threefive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 12:45:56 PM »
I looked into this because who hates free cell service, and Sprint is decent in my area. Unfortunately, I'm with Google Fi right now, and since Google Fi is basically a pre-paid MVNO of Sprint, my phone and number are not eligible. Apparently, getting a Nexus 5X bought through Google Fi on to Sprint at all is a bit of a challenge.

I will have to continue to suffer with blazing fast 4G all around the world for my wife and me for around $45/month total, instead. #MustachianProblems. Oh, and my past experience a loooooong time ago with Sprint customer service did not go well. Google Fi easily has the best customer service (though not >$40/month better.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:47:28 PM by threefive »

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:56:11 PM »
I too had a terrible Sprint customer service experience, but this was 10 years ago now.