Author Topic: Switched to ALDI  (Read 5476 times)

HydroJim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Switched to ALDI
« on: October 04, 2015, 10:44:14 AM »
Last January, in the midst of my freshmen year of college, I made to switch to self cooking. The $1400 meal plans for 16 weeks of food just weren't worth it. Plus, unlimited food at the cafe meant I wasn't exactly eating healthy. Since then, I've been stocking up at Sam's Club and shopping at Walmart. I've managed to keep my spending to $30-$35 a week. I lift regularly so some of the food I eat for protein/health makes saving a little harder. My diet is closer to 3000 calories/day diet than 2000 calorie/day so that makes reaching my goal of $25/week a little harder.

Trying to figure out where I could cut, I decided to make the switch to ALDI. I have no idea why I didn't do this sooner. ALDI is closer to my campus, cheaper, and less busy at the time I shop. It's a win/win/win.

I couldn't exactly exclaim to some of my friends that I'm saving a few dollars a week but I figured people here on the forum would appreciate it.

On a side note, they don't take credit cards. I won't be getting my 3% grocery rewards now. It's still much more worth it to shop there though.

Also, they don't give grocery bags so I'll have to pick up some reusable bags.

I don't think I've been this excited to go shopping in a long time...

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
Re: Switched to ALDI
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:51:39 AM »
Aldis in our area is no super bargin. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »
I went to Aldi yesterday for the first time. They didn't have everything on my list, but most of it. It was cheaper than the store I usually go to. I'll probably get what I can there, assuming that what I got yesterday works out ok. Though I'll have to make sure I have a quarter on me, and remember to take my reusable bags. Which means I need to find them.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 11:50:09 AM »
You have to get into an Aldi rhythm, they don't have everything it's true but I find them to be much cheaper than my local Harris teeter and they are close to me. Some items are as much as $1 cheaper at Aldi.

I keep an "Aldi quarter" in my car for use there and I know if I want to make certain things I either need to make two trips or go to the pricier store that week.

Enjoy the Aldi!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:54:44 AM »
Yeah, for me Aldi is just up the street from the other grocery store. So I can (and did, yesterday) go to Aldi first, then Jewel on the way home. May not work in heat of summer, but it's not particularly warm right now.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 04:28:59 PM »
I know everyone's experiences are different but Aldi was a total game changer for me. It's not great in my area for produce but almost everything else there is amazing. Great job learning to cook for yourself and hunting for bargains. It's a great mentality to get into while you're still in school.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 04:41:30 PM »
Also, they don't give grocery bags so I'll have to pick up some reusable bags.
Or if you have friends who shop at other stores, ask if they have any extra plastic bags.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 09:11:43 PM »
I usually follow Aldi's "Produce Picks of the Week" to see if they have a good deal on the things I tend to buy; sometimes its substantially less than the already thrifty options of Costco and Market Basket. But most of the time I go to one of those other two. They do seem to have the best price locally on pasta though.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
They sell their own reusable bags for like $2. They are big and sturdy. Also you can swipe empty boxes to use.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 07:24:51 AM »
Aldi has the best prices in our area. I always have quarters for parking and for Aldi in my car and a collapsible crate in my trunk.
Last year we bought one of their trunk organizers at Aldi, it has a zippered cooler compartment and two big regular compartments - also collapsible and comes in handy for transporting leftovers from a restaurant:). I noticed even our Subaru dealer has one very much like it listed in their parts catalog.
Besides that I own a large supply of cool shopping bags from places like Marshals, they work great at Aldi or for walking around at the outdoor markets.

I like that Aldi carries lots of organic choices from packaged to fresh. They also have authentic Asian - German - Italian weekly specials, nice bread selection and the best price on large shrimp in town, not to mention their ever changing cheese selections.
If you like cheese try their Irish castle cheese - well worth it and you can't beat their price on mozzarella balls.

It takes a few shopping trips to try Aldi and test the products. Ours has good, cheap produce including lots of organic.

MakingSenseofCents

• Bristles
    • Making Sense of Cents
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 11:57:45 AM »
There are no Aldis where we live now (just moved to Colorado), but it was one of the first places we would go for groceries when we lived in Missouri. I miss it!

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 02:58:57 PM »
There have been many other threads on Aldi here weighing the pros and cons.  I really like them and congratulate you on making more of your own food and saving so much.

I don't live close enough to an Aldi to make it my regular source, but when I am near one I stock up.  My closest Costco and Aldi share a parking lot.  Bonus!

Aldi has some quality foods -- chocolate, baking supplies, and cheeses are just a few.  I don't feel like I'm getting "off brand" generics that taste weird.  A lot of their stuff is really yummy and "classy."

I know, I sound like a snob... But I like nothing better than putting a big chunk of cheese out at a party and having a friend exclaim, "Oh, did you get this at the Co-op??" (fancy grocery) and I'm like, "No, Aldi.  But it's imported.  Organic."  I never lie about my Mustachianism.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »

Aldi has some quality foods -- chocolate, baking supplies, and cheeses are just a few.  I don't feel like I'm getting "off brand" generics that taste weird.  A lot of their stuff is really yummy and "classy."

I know, I sound like a snob... But I like nothing better than putting a big chunk of cheese out at a party and having a friend exclaim, "Oh, did you get this at the Co-op??" (fancy grocery) and I'm like, "No, Aldi.  But it's imported.  Organic."  I never lie about my Mustachianism.

Same here - where did you get that cheese?:)