Author Topic: Switched ISPs, 5x the speed!  (Read 1321 times)

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
Switched ISPs, 5x the speed!
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:27:34 AM »
I know not everyone has access to more than one ISP, but in my case I was paying $34.99/month for 10 Mbps down through one company. It was more like 3-8 Mbps based on the speed tests I did, usually closer to the lower end of that.

The competitor in my area recently took all their plans and elevated them for the same price. So, what was 10 is now 50, what was 30 is now 200, etc. Big regional upgrade. In early July I will be getting 50 Mbps down for the same cost from this new company. My original ISP didn't even counteroffer. What are they doing?!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Switched ISPs, 5x the speed!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 09:35:15 AM »
Beautiful.  Competition is a wonderful thing.  Gigabit fiber is about to be rolled out in my area later this year (by a company new to the area), so I'm sure Comcast will be shaking in their boots and lowering rates once that happens (with a marketing blitz to accompany).  Comcast is the only real option right now here (DSL exists but is expensive and slow as hell).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:38:24 AM by ketchup »

COEE

• Pencil Stache
Re: Switched ISPs, 5x the speed!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 09:39:44 PM »
I just moved into a new house with access to 1Gbps fiber for the same price I was paying for 6Mbps cable at the last house.

I called Comcast today to cancel the guy I talked to had to be stoned.  I'm not sure he really did cancel my account.  So glad to be leaving the company - even more glad that I'm lucky enough to have a choice.