Author Topic: Sweet Kijiji Score!  (Read 2619 times)

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
Sweet Kijiji Score!
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:12:32 AM »
My husband and I bought a new bed a few years ago, and it wasn't cheap.  It hurt my back, and although he never complained about it, I suspect it was doing the same for him (he has rheumatoid arthritis, so he is sore pretty much all the time).  We exchanged it with the 90 days for another mattress through the store's warrantee, but the second one was no better. 

Finally, after over a year of having a sore back whenever I sleep in my own bed at home, I decided that it was time for another new mattress. I went to the local mattress store to try out beds, because I was pretty sure we wanted a tempurpedic memory foam mattress.  They were 'on sale' for $2,800 ($1000 off).  The sales woman tried to convince me to put a deposit down, because 'they only had one sale model left, and it could be sold at any moment' (there was no one else in the store).

Instead, I checked on Kijiji on my phone (the Canadian Craigslist), while I was laying on the mattress in the store (I wanted to lay on it for half an hour, I think we didn't spend enough time laying on the first mattresses), and I found someone selling a nearly new king size tempurpedic for $260, that was basically the exact same one I was laying on.  I sent the seller a message, and we agreed that we'd come over last night and take a look.

It was EXACTLY as advertised, a brand new, absolutely clean, king size tempurpedic mattress.  In preparation for moving a mattress in the truck, I spent $10 on duct tape and plastic drop cloths to wrap it in. 

Last night, we went to bed early, on the new mattress, and I slept for 9 hours.  I woke up still on my side, with no more of a back-ache than I had when I went to bed, from hefting that massive mattress up our stairs.  That's a huge difference, because I always wake up on my stomach, with a lower back ache. 

Ahhh.  I still can't believe I found someone selling a brand new mattress for less than 10% of the cost of new, and it didn't have some sort of fundamental flaw!  I even looked under the mattress cover, expecting to find a bloodstain in the shape of a body or something equally grotesque ;)

ZZZzzzZZZ

3okirb

• Stubble
Re: Sweet Kijiji Score!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:25:04 AM »
My husband and I bought a new bed a few years ago, and it wasn't cheap.  It hurt my back, and although he never complained about it, I suspect it was doing the same for him (he has rheumatoid arthritis, so he is sore pretty much all the time).  We exchanged it with the 90 days for another mattress through the store's warrantee, but the second one was no better. 

Finally, after over a year of having a sore back whenever I sleep in my own bed at home, I decided that it was time for another new mattress. I went to the local mattress store to try out beds, because I was pretty sure we wanted a tempurpedic memory foam mattress.  They were 'on sale' for $2,800 ($1000 off).  The sales woman tried to convince me to put a deposit down, because 'they only had one sale model left, and it could be sold at any moment' (there was no one else in the store).

Instead, I checked on Kijiji on my phone (the Canadian Craigslist), while I was laying on the mattress in the store (I wanted to lay on it for half an hour, I think we didn't spend enough time laying on the first mattresses), and I found someone selling a nearly new king size tempurpedic for $260, that was basically the exact same one I was laying on.  I sent the seller a message, and we agreed that we'd come over last night and take a look.

It was EXACTLY as advertised, a brand new, absolutely clean, king size tempurpedic mattress.  In preparation for moving a mattress in the truck, I spent $10 on duct tape and plastic drop cloths to wrap it in. 

Last night, we went to bed early, on the new mattress, and I slept for 9 hours.  I woke up still on my side, with no more of a back-ache than I had when I went to bed, from hefting that massive mattress up our stairs.  That's a huge difference, because I always wake up on my stomach, with a lower back ache. 

Ahhh.  I still can't believe I found someone selling a brand new mattress for less than 10% of the cost of new, and it didn't have some sort of fundamental flaw!  I even looked under the mattress cover, expecting to find a bloodstain in the shape of a body or something equally grotesque ;)

ZZZzzzZZZ

Great find!  I've always been afraid to get a used mattress, but it's probably someone just like you.  They got it and it wasn't as comfortable as they thought, so they figured getting something for it was better than throwing it out.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:29:52 AM »
I sleep in a lot of hotels and work trailers when I am away at work, so sleeping in a 'used' mattress doesn't bother me as much, provided that it is clean looking and doesn't smell like smoke.

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:58:13 AM »
I sleep in a lot of hotels and work trailers when I am away at work, so sleeping in a 'used' mattress doesn't bother me as much, provided that it is clean looking and doesn't smell like smoke.

I honestly never thought of it that way, but you're completely right!  Now to talk my wife into it.  We're probably going to be buying a new bed in the next few months.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!